Forward Wrap Balconies

LSGDRG

I am considering a cruise to Alaska. Has anyone recently been in one of the premium suites on the Diamond Princess that are located forward, with a wrap balcony? I like the idea of the large balcony in order to view wildlife & take photos. Are these balconies too windy? Also, I have read that there are times when you are not allowed to use the balcony. Is that only during rough seas or at all times when the ship is motion? Any information about these suites would be appreciated.

I am considering a cruise to Alaska. Has anyone recently been in one of the premium suites on the Diamond Princess that are located forward, with a wrap balcony? I like the idea of the large balcony in order to view wildlife & take photos. Are these balconies too windy? Also, I have read that there are times when you are not allowed to use the balcony. Is that only during rough seas or at all times when the ship is motion? Any information about these suites would be appreciated.

The balcony's on those suites are indeed very windy when moving which in itself often restricts you from using it although the ships crew would only close it off during bad weather. Whilst they do wrap around the room, the balcony is very narrow by compariosn to other suites. Also, there is only one set of Patio Doors on those suites whereas the other have one set off the bedroom and another off the living room.

DON'T do it........ the balcony is locked when ship is in motion......WAY too windy to use even if it wasn't. PLUS, you have to keep the curtains closed at night (lights interfere with bridge operation) We were scheduled to be in one of these suites but changed based on input from CC'ers. We had aft suite on Alaska cruise and it was perfect...... if there was something to see you got to see it longer. There is NO wind and thus it is WARMER

• 1 year later...
The balconies are unuseable when under way, however when cruising in Glacier Bay/College Fjord they are incredible. :)

Can you specify, on your comment above, you said they are unuseable when underway, but that they are incredible when cruising in Glacier Bay. When are you referring to when you say "Underway"? I've read conflicting stories and hear different things. A Princess representative has assured me today that the corner suites have access to the balcony at ALL times. I've also talked to a couple who stayed in one of the suites last year who said they were never locked. I'm just trying to get more input from people who have actually cruised in one of these suites. Also, I heard when you are on the inside passage in Alaska it's a different story because you're not out in the open sea.

Any help would be appreciated!

Can you specify, on your comment above, you said they are unuseable when underway, but that they are incredible when cruising in Glacier Bay. When are you referring to when you say "Underway"? I've read conflicting stories and hear different things. A Princess representative has assured me today that the corner suites have access to the balcony at ALL times. I've also talked to a couple who stayed in one of the suites last year who said they were never locked. I'm just trying to get more input from people who have actually cruised in one of these suites. Also, I heard when you are on the inside passage in Alaska it's a different story because you're not out in the open sea.

When the ship is sailing the wind is a major factor, the Princess rep has probably never sailed the Diamond/Sapphire or any other Princess ship for that matter. The chance you take when booking these cabins is the door maybe locked to the balcony at various times and the wind is a big big factor whether the ship is sailing at 15 knots or 5 knots, there is no guarantee. And the door may naver be locked but the wind is still there.

This is a picture of the sign on the balcony door:

BG-14.jpg

These are pictures of the balcony of B104 on Diamond Princess:

BG-20.jpg

BG-21.jpg

Thanks to both of you, Colo Cruiser and Essiesmom. I understand it will be windy no matter what, that isn't a problem. We're all big outdoors-y people and have climbed mountains in wind storms that could knock small children over, so that doesn't worry us. Our big concern is just not having the balcony available.

Essiesmom, So you stayed in B104? Was that for an Alaskan cruise? Was the door locked the entire time you were moving or only on days with bad wind?

Archived