Quality of Food Not Up to Usual Standard?

jericho2009

Well, I've been cruising on Princess since 1994, so I guess that makes me even more of an expert than you. I agree with Pam that the small touches that used to make dinner special, particularly table-side preparation, are absent now, plus the Love Boat Dream is not quite as good as it used to be (although heaven knows, it's still addictive). I can't imagine why you would begin your post by patronizing Pam for not cruising on Princess a lot -- she's ELITE, for pete's sake.

Sorry I offended you, it was not meant to offend anyone - just my observation after 23 Princess cruises - We are ELITE too, for petes sake. I guess you may be more of an expert than me and I admire you for makinng that point clear to me. I do not consider myself an expert by any means. I just report my observations and they are that I have seen very little or no degradation of food quality. Even the new "home Style" meals on the new menus are excellent both in taste and presentation.

Ron

It might not be "degradation" of food quality.

Maybe lack of.

Food isn't prepared with such "flair" like it use to.

What makes a delicious meal more aesthetically pleasing is one that is presented in an eye pleasing and professional manner.

Take for instance -

I posted this several months ago when a similar thread was started.

When I first started cruising on Princess I was extremely impressed.

The lobster was incredible - huge beyond belief for a meal on a cruise ship. And the presentation was as fabulous as the food!

8-13LobsterNite.jpg

As the years progress

this was served last yr on the CB

LobsterNight.jpg

Need I say more ? ! ? !

That second pix looks like something from a greasy spoon diner. I am surprised they would even serve that to a table - I certainly hope that youn sent it back with your "complements" to the chef!!!

Ron

We have certainly noticed ups and downs over the years. I've had no complaints during our last three cruises, except for the obvious changes when it comes to lobster.

Something else I have noticed in reading these boards is that expectations and demands have changed. There are more comments about wanting to eat quickly, not have longer meals, and I think the response has been to eliminate some of the fancier items. I haven't seen pasta prepared in the dining room for some time now, for example.

Excellent service and preparation both add to the time it takes to dine. People don't like to wait for tables to become available, and I think we've gotten too used to the "move 'em in, and move 'em out" service that is common in popular restaurants - you know, where your salad, main course and dessert arrive within 5 minutes of the previous course and your waitress gives you "the look" that says you're eating to slow.

Maybe we've just gotten what the majority have asked for.

We have certainly noticed ups and downs over the years. I've had no complaints during our last three cruises, except for the obvious changes when it comes to lobster.

Something else I have noticed in reading these boards is that expectations and demands have changed. There are more comments about wanting to eat quickly, not have longer meals, and I think the response has been to eliminate some of the fancier items. I haven't seen pasta prepared in the dining room for some time now, for example.

Excellent service and preparation both add to the time it takes to dine. People don't like to wait for tables to become available, and I think we've gotten too used to the "move 'em in, and move 'em out" service that is common in popular restaurants - you know, where your salad, main course and dessert arrive within 5 minutes of the previous course and your waitress gives you "the look" that says you're eating to slow.

Maybe we've just gotten what the majority have asked for.

With the 'home style meals' added, I think your statement is quite accurate. ;)

With the 'home style meals' added, I think your statement is quite accurate. ;)

I have tried the new "home style" meals and they are far better than any "homestyle" I prepare or get at a local diner.

Ron

I have tried the new "home style" meals and they are far better than any "homestyle" I prepare or get at a local diner.

Ron

That's great. That means they are doing as Rob says and offering what people are requesting. And it goes to show how tastes have changed over the years.

(coiran, you aren't going to get an arguement out of me, so no sense trying) ;)

I think as a cook, food always taste better when someone else has made it as opposed to cooking it yourself.

My husband and I just returned from an enjoyable 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise. We did put a deposit down for a future cruise. The ship is beautiful and offers lots to do. We found the service as good as previously experienced.

Since the basic price of the cruise to the passenger has gone down, some reduction in cost to the cruise lines must happen. One obvious area is definitely the kitchen. Both my husband and I ordered Rack of Lamb and we both got 2 large fatty chops. Gross. The delicious French onion soup was offered only verbally by the waiter, not written on the menu. Same with the escargot. Any theories on that? No cookies any longer decorating your dish of ice cream. And at the Captain Circle party no longer any hot hors duovros; only 1 drink or nonalcholic drink per person. I remember more offered before. On a positive side, we enjoyed the Horizon Court luncheons. And while at the pool, pizza is a delicious option, as well as the hot dogs and burgers.

It is still possible to enjoy the cruise and have a bill balance consisting of only the automatic gratuities. You just have to keep you cruise card in your pocket and go about enjoying things that do not cost extra.

Just off the Ruby and they had hot hor'doerves (howver the heck you spell it!) and unlimited alchoholic drinks.

That's great. That means they are doing as Rob says and offering what people are requesting. And it goes to show how tastes have changed over the years.

(coiran, you aren't going to get an arguement out of me, so no sense

trying) ;)

Not trying to start an argument - I was just stating that the new homestyle meals are really just an extension of their normal excellent menu - in other words they were not really homestyle IMHO.

Ron

We just got off the Ruby too and they had hors d'oeuvres and cocktails at the Captain's Circle party and cookies as a garnish for your ice cream! We saw tins of them on the galley tour and in our ice cream at dessert too!

I think your food experience depends on the ship staff more than anything. Our food on the Ruby was good but I do notice that there seems to be less choice on the menu since it has been revamped. There were several nights when I struggled with a choice for dinner as I have a shellfish allergy. I don't remember the same issue on the old menu. We ate several nights at the Caribe Cafe and there was some excellent food there.

Interesting thread and comments so far.

Wife and I (and 2 other couples) recently cruised the Diamond New Zealand/Australia.

While the cruise itself was fantastic, we all agreed (we have 10 Princess cruises and the other couples have 9 and 16 each) that the main traditional dining food quality was much worse this cruise than anything we had had before. Service was good, though.

Heartily agree with the comment made about the lobster. We were looking forward to lobster night and we got one small tail (overcooked) and 2 prawns (which were bigger than the lobster tail!). I have had better lobster at Sizzler! Plus, they did not even bother to shell the lobster for you.

Every fish dish was overcooked - the maitre d' did try to compensate and provided a special halibut course ONE night which was good.

I also found the pasta dishes quite disappointing this time.

They added a couple of new menus - one was Asian which we found quite bland.

It seemed like the other food venues had increased in quality and variety (more specialties like afternoon and lunch chocolate extravaganza, sushi buffet, fruit and pastry, Italian, Mexican, waffle station (breakfast), etc. served just outside the buffet area). The buffet did seem to have better quality food, too.

Fortunately there still was the Trident gril, pizza, and the Strawberry Avalanche.

Since fewer people are doing traditional dining, it seems like Princess has been improving Anytime and buffet at the expense of traditional.

Overall, as we mentioned above, we found the food quite disappointing, bordering on poor, this time.

This is my first post - hello to everyone. My husband Doug and I are cruise junkies - if we aren't on a cruise we are talking about going on a cruise. Doug even has our computer set up to record all the bridge cams in the Princess Fleet so he can review them whenever he likes. Our next cruise is on April 26th on the Coral Princess out of LA - it will be our 17th cruise - not many to a lot of you folks! Although we have been to Alaska, we prefer the hot weather, hence, this will be our 4th trip to the Panama Canal. Has anyone heard any complaints about the food lately? A co-worker just returned from a cruise and said the food was terrible. Not that we care, as we don't go on a cruise for the food, but my parents are travelling with us this time and they have also heard complaints from their friends and are worrying about it - they are driving me crazy! So, has anyone had a similar experience with a change in the menus and the food not being very appetizing?

Cheers.

Cindy

Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened.

Came off the Sapphire last month and was disappointed in the food served in the Savoy, which was one of the Anytime dining venues. It wasn't just disappointing, it was awful. Dried, 'waaaayyy overcooked, deep fried, the list is ad infinitum. We would leave our food barely touched in the Savoy and take our chances in the Horizon Court only to find deep fried and overdone food there which led us to believe that's the only way they know how to prepare. One evening, 7 tables sent their food back along with ourselves which alarmed the staff and the chef was notified. He too, agreed the meat was inferior, from an inferior supplier. But I'm amazed that on the same cruise we were on, in the same dining room on the same night, there were passengers who raved about the steaks/meat. OMG. When the chef himself thinks they're awful....how can you take their comments seriously? Additionally, Princess needs to take a very serious look at their mediocre-to-boring, desserts. Same old; same old. Yawn.:(

On the Dawn 15 months ago, they offered one lobster tail to go with any entree, and no more than one until everyone was served, to make sure there was enough. The tail was very small, like what has been posted.

Last xmas I was on the CCL Freedom and the lobsters were large, plentiful and cooked perfectly. It is a shame that Princess can't offer lobster that is at least as good as what is served on its "lesser" sister line.

Just got off the Emerald on Friday, and let me say that we had a fantastic time!! As far as food goes, dining room food wasn't as good as it was last year on the CB. Not bad....just not as good as I remember! We only did the dining room 3 times on this cruise. I did try the "home style" choices twice and had the steak fajitas and the beef stroganoff......pretty good:). On the Italian night, they had spaghetti and meat balls...well, I sure was hungry for some spaghetti, so I ordered it. Good sauce, but we laughed out loud at the meat balls.....small like little marbles. Now, just let me say they tasted fresh and home made, but never saw meatballs that small except in soup! The food at the Horizon Court was pretty good....standared, and the Carib Cafe was great as usual. We ate at the Crown Grill on the first formal night and the food and service was incredible. No, you do NOT have to dress formal on formal nights at any of the pay venues:) Plenty of free lemonade but you need to ask for it. Home made waffles at the pizza counter only one morning, the rest of the time they had the waffle makers at the Horizon Coury. Delicious free ice cream every day between 3:30 and 4:30 at the "open" side of the Horizon Court. It was located at the "entrance" end! Anyway, can't wait to book my next Princess cruise:)

Is this really true? My wife and I do not want to take formal clothes, so we just eat in the Horizon Court on formal nights, but if this is true, we might try a specialty restaurant on formal night instead.

Mike

We just returned from the 15 Panama FLL to LA on the Coral. (Feb 23-Mar 9, 2009) We loved the new menu, the food was excellent. The major change that we saw was that there are more 'small plate" offerings (appetizers) and one less entree item. Also the portion size was a little smaller, which we liked. There was always grilled salmon, chicken breast and small filet on the menu if you did not like the entree. We ate in the traditional dining room for breakfast and dinner and at the Horizion court for lunch.

Note to people that do not want to dress for formal night...we were told that the same menu as the dining rooms was available in Horizon court on those nights.

Our table requested Creme Brule (sp) for desert and it was made for the whole table of 8 the next night even though it was not on the menu that night. Make friends with the head waiter. Infact anything we asked for we got.

We loved this cruise and the Coral Princess

Pam - I know you have cruised a lot, but from your signature, not a lot on Princess?? We have been cruising on Princess exclusively since 1996 and have found NO degradation of food quality. The new menus featuring the "home style" are even very good. The size of the servings has reduced somewhat which, for us, is a good thing. I can't imagine getting better food on any cruiseline (except the premier and very expensive lines).

Just my opinion

Ron

To a certain extend I too must agree with Pam, "the food on Princess isn't what it was several years ago". I've seen it change in just the past two years. But, it is still good enough to keep me sailing and it all sure beats anything RCCL serves. Just off the Emerald and was a tad bit disappointed with the "selections" each night in the Cafe Caribe as compared to the last couple of years. Although they did have beef in some form or another 3 nights the rest of the evenings it was Pork or Poultry (usually Chicken). While very good I did think the chef must have been related to Emeril Lagasse the guy who loves his pork fat. There also seemed to be a cut back on the vegetables of all things. Gone was finding steamed vegies, green beans, and baby squash replaced by carrots, lima beans and brussel sprouts. There was even one evening where other than the salads there were no non-starch vegies offered at all. Since we don't sail to eat and surely never went to bed hungry none of this was a big deal to us, BUT it really did appear to (at least on our sailing) decline somewhat.

To a certain extend I too must agree with Pam, "the food on Princess isn't what it was several years ago". I've seen it change in just the past two years. But, it is still good enough to keep me sailing and it all sure beats anything RCCL serves. Just off the Emerald and was a tad bit disappointed with the "selections" each night in the Cafe Caribe as compared to the last couple of years. Although they did have beef in some form or another 3 nights the rest of the evenings it was Pork or Poultry (usually Chicken). While very good I did think the chef must have been related to Emeril Lagasse the guy who loves his pork fat. There also seemed to be a cut back on the vegetables of all things. Gone was finding steamed vegies, green beans, and baby squash replaced by carrots, lima beans and brussel sprouts. There was even one evening where other than the salads there were no non-starch vegies offered at all. Since we don't sail to eat and surely never went to bed hungry none of this was a big deal to us, BUT it really did appear to (at least on our sailing) decline somewhat.

Whatever you say - I apologetically refuse to answer any questions on this thread for fear that I may be banned from further posts.

Ron

To a certain extend I too must agree with Pam, "the food on Princess isn't what it was several years ago". I've seen it change in just the past two years.

But, it is still good enough to keep me sailing and it all sure beats anything RCCL serves.

I agree!!!

Just off the Emerald and was a tad bit disappointed with the "selections" each night in the Cafe Caribe as compared to the last couple of years. Although they did have beef in some form or another 3 nights the rest of the evenings it was Pork or Poultry (usually Chicken). While very good I did think the chef must have been related to Emeril Lagasse the guy who loves his pork fat. :D:D

There also seemed to be a cut back on the vegetables of all things. Gone was finding steamed vegies, green beans, and baby squash replaced by carrots, lima beans and brussel sprouts. There was even one evening where other than the salads there were no non-starch vegies offered at all. Since we don't sail to eat and surely never went to bed hungry none of this was a big deal to us, BUT it really did appear to (at least on our sailing) decline somewhat.

Do you remember the salads Princess use to serve with their homemade exotic dressings?

Boy, do I miss that.

Now, they serve regular salads, with basic dressings - Italian, Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette, or Low-Fat dressing.

Is this really true? My wife and I do not want to take formal clothes, so we just eat in the Horizon Court on formal nights, but if this is true, we might try a specialty restaurant on formal night instead.

Mike

Yes it is true. Specialty restaurants on Princess have been smart casual every evening for a little over a year now.

Mike:)

Archived