Narrowed down my final choice for itinerary but need ship help

Janiekins

Okay, so here is the deal. Hubby and I would like to take a cruise to Alaska this summer.

We have chosen our itinerary to include Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway - cruise ending in Whittier.

Both Holland America (Statendam and Veendam) and Island Princess offer this itinerary departing from Vancouver and ending in Whittier.

The Statendam was built in 1993 and holds 1,266 passengers.

The Veendam was built in 1996 and holds 1,266 passengers.

The Island Princess was built in 2003 and holds 1,950 passengers.

Has anyone cruised on these ships who can give me the pros and cons?

Also, since our cruise is ending in Whittier I would like to spend a few extra days (3-4) doing a land tour but hubby is not too keen on this saying he cannot spend too much time away from work.

Can we see Denali and/or McKinley in 3-4 days?

If we decide not to do the land tour then we would fly back home from Anchorage to Boston. Does this seem ridiculous?

I was also looking for roundtrip cruises that include Glacier Bay on other cruise lines (depart and arrive in Vancouver) but I don't seem to see any.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi- We are going on the Diamond Princess May 23 and returning June 6 (14 days) out of Vancouver. One reason we chose this is because it goes to Glacier Bay. We have not been on HAL. If you search the thread for the ship names there are comments on them.

You could contact the cruise line and ask them what 14 day trips they offer.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best in deciding.

The Carnival Spirit has a roundtrip out of Seattle that goes into Glacier Bay. You may want to research if you can find any other round trips from Seattle or Vancouver if you choose to not stay any extra nights for a land portion. Open jaw flights are considerably more expensive than roundtrip airfair to/from the same airport. We traveled from Boston for our Alaska trip via Northwest Air. We found the flight times with layover in Minneapolis to be reasonable and rates were the best we could find at the time, but still expensive IMO. Another option to research might be the Princess special that includes airfare from Fairbanks back to Seattle, some with short land tour components. It may be worth a look see since you'd like to see a bit of the interior and your husband may be in a rush to get home. FYI, once you're both there he'll want to stay too! Mine had similar feelings last year and is now mapping out a return trip!

Unfortunately, we cannot be away for 14 days!

I just read some reviews on Holland's Veendam and they were not very positive. People said that the ship is getting very "tired" and old.

I am basing my cruise on the itinerary but I also have to live on my "floating hotel" for 7 nights.

Celebrity has some 7 day roundtrip cruises but they go to Hubbard Glacier and not Glacier Bay. From what I have read most everyone prefers Glacier Bay.

I believe that the Holland America ships end in Seward, not Whittier.

Check with Holland America, I believe they have 2 ships that do a 7 day round trip from Seattle that included Glacier Bay. If you do the round trip you can't do a land trip - but it would probably be less expensive as you'd just have to purchase a round trip flight to Seattle.

The Zuiderdam and Statendam both do round-trip cruises including the ports you specified + Glacier Bay. However, they sail Tracy Arm instead of College Fjord. Both sail from Vancouver - you can either fly to Vancouver or you can fly to Seattle which is usually cheaper and then take the train, shuttle, or rental car to Vancouver (about 3.5-4 hours). If you can afford a few extra days, stay in Seattle or Vancouver before or after the cruise - both cities have plenty to do.

If you stick with the one-way cruise, be aware that Princess sails to Whittier and Holland America sails to Seward. You could easily spend a few nights in Seward or Anchorage before flying home. I don't think it would be worth it to try to do Denali in only 3 days as it is 8-9 hours from Seward or Whittier to Denali, NOT including stops or driving slower to take in the scenery.

The Carnival Spirit has a roundtrip out of Seattle that goes into Glacier Bay. You may want to research if you can find any other round trips from Seattle or Vancouver if you choose to not stay any extra nights for a land portion. Open jaw flights are considerably more expensive than roundtrip airfair to/from the same airport. We traveled from Boston for our Alaska trip via Northwest Air. We found the flight times with layover in Minneapolis to be reasonable and rates were the best we could find at the time, but still expensive IMO. Another option to research might be the Princess special that includes airfare from Fairbanks back to Seattle, some with short land tour components. It may be worth a look see since you'd like to see a bit of the interior and your husband may be in a rush to get home. FYI, once you're both there he'll want to stay too! Mine had similar feelings last year and is now mapping out a return trip!

Right now even open-jaw flights aren't that bad. I just priced out a flight from Orlando to Houston, Houston to Seattle, and then Anchorage to Orlando for $548 per person all inclusive. Yes, round trip might be less but just a few months ago this same flight path was over $900, glad I didn't book then.

Okay, so here is the deal. Hubby and I would like to take a cruise to Alaska this summer.

We have chosen our itinerary to include Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway - cruise ending in Whittier.

Both Holland America (Statendam and Veendam) and Island Princess offer this itinerary departing from Vancouver and ending in Whittier.

The Island Princess was built in 2003 and holds 1,950 passengers.

Has anyone cruised on these ships who can give me the pros and cons?

Also, since our cruise is ending in Whittier I would like to spend a few extra days (3-4) doing a land tour but hubby is not too keen on this saying he cannot spend too much time away from work.

Can we see Denali and/or McKinley in 3-4 days?

If we decide not to do the land tour then we would fly back home from Anchorage to Boston. Does this seem ridiculous?

I was also looking for roundtrip cruises that include Glacier Bay on other cruise lines (depart and arrive in Vancouver) but I don't seem to see any.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your port is Seward for HAL. You can do Denali Park in 4 days. or 3 with an overnight flight home. Since you ask :) Yes I think it is "rediculous" to immediately leave Alaska, since you indicate have you some extra days?? :) Take advantage of being all the way there!!!

Either cruiseline will offer you an excellent adventure. Have you also considered Seward activities?? With 3 days, you could do more, stay 2 days in Seward then another in Anchorage. OR 1 overnight in Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna. Several options to consider.

You asked for comments about the ships. I cannot speak to HAL because I have never sailed with them.

But I have cruised on the Island Princess and her sister ship, the Coral. Simply stated, these are lovely ships. Their ambiance is quiet classiness. We felt the service and attention paid to passengers was very good. We sailed in balcony cabins, which we found comfortable and nicely appointed. We enjoyed the onboard entertainment, and have seen a variety of production shows. We enjoyed the food, and never had a problem finding meals to our liking, whether in the Traditional dining room, Anytime dining rooms, and the buffet. There is a wide range of ages cruising on Princess. As with other mainstream lines, sometimes it seems like there is a preponderence of us seniors, but we also see plenty of

30s, 40s, 50s.

I don't know if this trye of info will help you at all, but thought a general overview might give you some idea about the Island.

I am leaning toward the Princess cruise which arrives in Whittier (Anchorage).

How long does it take to get to Denali Park from Whittier, what is the fastest means of transportation to get there and how many days would be sufficient to spend in Denali Park ( would 3 days be enough?)

Also, would the nearest airport to get back to Boston be in Anchorage?

Thank you all so much for your help.

The fastest way to Denali from Whittier, is for you to rent a car from Avis. Princess could get you there on a Cruise Tour package on the train from Whittier in 10 hours.

I don't know about the airfares, but the nearest airport to Denali is Fairbanks. Might be cheaper to drive back to Anchorage, though for the flight.

Wow - it takes 10 hours to get from Whittier to Denali? We only have 3-4 days to do a land tour so it does not seem worth it.

Seriously thinking of postponing this trip to next year when we will have more time.

Princess has the itinerary we want and a newer ship but it is one way to Whittier. Is there anything fun to do in that area for 1-2 days - then fly back to Boston out of Anchorage.

We would be looking for very scenic, active things to do. Not into shopping or anything like that.

Wow - it takes 10 hours to get from Whittier to Denali? We only have 3-4 days to do a land tour so it does not seem worth it.

Seriously thinking of postponing this trip to next year when we will have more time.

Princess has the itinerary we want and a newer ship but it is one way to Whittier. Is there anything fun to do in that area for 1-2 days - then fly back to Boston out of Anchorage.

We would be looking for very scenic, active things to do. Not into shopping or anything like that.

With only a few days, I recommend Seward. Plenty to see and do. For the most efficient transit- a one way, Costly, Avis car rental works best. Head directly there from Whittier. You can be out the 9am tunnel. Have your plans in place in advance, to make the most use of your time. http://www.seward.com

Your touring depends a great deal on WHEN, your return flight is. IF an overnight, then you will have an added day to tour.

You need to allow 6 hours for driving Anchoarge/Denali Park. Add your Whittier- transfer time, 1 1/2 hour+tunnel wait, then car pick up, grocery stop- it's not much shorter.

That's exactly our plan. We're on the 7 day NB Island leaving June 8.

After the cruise, we'll travel to Anchorage to pick up our daughter.

We'll stay in Anchorage an extra day, then take the train up to

Denali and stay for 2 days up there. On Friday, we'll take the bus

back to Anchorage and then fly out the next morning. All without

renting a car! :eek:

PT

The Coral/Island are lovely ships. I do not like their Lido as they are not arranged well and are very crowded. We have only had a mini on the Coral. The HAL ships have great Lidos. Also, the Veendam is coming out of dry dock with a total make over not just the routine refurbishment. Great ship!

Our first Alaska cruise was on the Coral Princess, and the 2nd was on HAL Veendam (different itinerary in 2008). Both cruises were great, with Princess winning the pretty ship award, and HAL having better outside viewing areas. I would prefer to end the cruise in Seward and take the train to Anchorage (very scenic). As already noted, Veendam will have a major dry dock before the Alaska season starts this year.

The Statendam and Veendam are sister ships of the "Statendam-class" (named for the first built in the foursome, which also includes the Maasdam and the Ryndam.

We have been on the Veendam, though not recently. The ship design is just about perfect for Alaska, since there are numerous public areas for viewing, including a full promenade deck and the forward bow area where HAL permits passengers to view forward, which is especially wonderful for Glacier Bay.

The aft pool area is also expansive for viewing at the rear.

Many people have said that the Island Princess, which has dining tables at the forward inside area (where Statendam and Veendam have no dining, but plenty of seats), becomes very congested as people tend to "hog" the tables.

I would seriously consider the Veendam and the Statendam. College Fjord is also quite beautiful, and ships which sail round-trip (as opposed to the northbound or southbound sailings) do not visit College Fjord.

Archived