To upgrade or downgrade is the question

sempronialou

We are booked on the CB for 6/20 in AE mini-suite category. Well, I was an idiot and did not realize that the twin beds are fixed and cannot be moved to make a queen bed when I booked. It would be fine if I wasn't going with my husband. Being that we're married and it's our honeymoon, I'd like to be in the same bed during our cruise. I realize that if we want to stay in a mini-suite, that I'll need to pay more and upgrade. I'd love to stay on the Dolphin deck where we are because we both like uncovered balcony, privacy isn't a big deal. But I know it will cost me more to upgrade which leaves me slightly panicky with the financial aspect. I thought of downgrading to just a regular balcony stateroom to spare us on the cost. Less room, but there's only 2 of us and we'd still have a balcony to spread out on for the 9 day cruise. It's not as if we plan on staying in our cabin the entire trip. What are your opinions in this matter?

Do you have a specific cabin assigned? If yes, post the number here and someone who has been in the room will tell you if the beds in that specific room can be queensized. If I was doing a standard cabin I would choose the Caribe deck for the 1/2 covered and 1/2 open larger balcony. If you do that you will be giving up the bath with tub and the sitting area you currently have in the minisuite.

sempronialou,

You can stay where you are if that is the cabin you like.

In our experiences with a mini suite or any balcony cabin the beds can be made up either

as two twins or queen. You can request a queen bed on your reservation at any time. Even if there are two beds when you board the room steward will make it

up to a queen.

You will have a great time on the cruise.

If you don't want any change to your cabin let the travel agent also put you down as "no upgrade".

Susan

sempronialou,

In our experiences with a mini suite or any balcony cabin the beds can be made up either

as two twins or queen. You can request a queen bed on your reservation at any time. Even if there are two beds when you board the room steward will make it

up to a queen.

You will have a great time on the cruise.

Susan

AE beds cannot be moved. The rooms were originally designated as ahandicapped room but the doors were too narrow and could not accommodate someone in a wheelchair.

We are booked on the CB for 6/20 in AE mini-suite category. Well, I was an idiot and did not realize that the twin beds are fixed and cannot be moved to make a queen bed when I booked. It would be fine if I wasn't going with my husband. Being that we're married and it's our honeymoon, I'd like to be in the same bed during our cruise. I realize that if we want to stay in a mini-suite, that I'll need to pay more and upgrade. I'd love to stay on the Dolphin deck where we are because we both like uncovered balcony, privacy isn't a big deal. But I know it will cost me more to upgrade which leaves me slightly panicky with the financial aspect. I thought of downgrading to just a regular balcony stateroom to spare us on the cost. Less room, but there's only 2 of us and we'd still have a balcony to spread out on for the 9 day cruise. It's not as if we plan on staying in our cabin the entire trip. What are your opinions in this matter?

Normally, when booking an AE guarantee, you end up in a higher category mini suite. BUT, that isn't a 'sure thing'. If it were me, I would weigh the difference in price between booking another mini suite (which I might add are sooooooo much nicer than a regular balcony staterom IMHO), and the price to downgrade to a regular balcony. If you can't swing the price of the mini, then try for a balcony stateroom that has the largest balcony.

Best of luck, and congrats on your upcoming wedding! :)

The AE on the Golden did have movable beds. They are no more "fixed in place" than any other cabin. I have not seen D732 on the CB, but I believe it is similar to the Golden. (correct me if I am wrong:confused:)I saw the "Outside" of D732 on the CB and it was placed just as D732 is on the Golden (with the doorway located around the corner). That is why I think it is similar to the Golden. The configuation did not change until the Crown.

Okay, having said all that, we certainly had our beds together to form a queen for DH and I.(left them apart for my sister and I) You can make the beds face either wall, if that makes sense. It is not exactly "made" that way, but ours was made up to a queen configuration on 2 different cruises.

There is no tub, if that is important. The bathroom is very large.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/378283620Wcvptp?vhost=travel

Check out the pictures of both configurations. This is the golden, and like I said, I have not been inside of D732 on the CB. I am just assuming it is the same. Anyone know any different, please let us know so I am not giving this poor bride-to-be the wrong info!!!

Janet

Unless I am missing something, there are only two AE minis on the entire ship. You may have booked these cabins, but are you sure that is what you are assigned? I imagine most people booking an AE category mini are upgraded unless you marked your booking as "do not upgrade."

As far as I can tell, we haven't been assigned a specific stateroom yet. I don't know when they do that or how I can tell. I looked on the cruise personalizer and don't see a specific assignment yet. We're just booked in the AE category. I put the deposit it on the 3/6, final payment due on 4/6. When I look at the Caribbean Princess ship configurations, there is a star by the staterooms in the AE category and it says beds are fixed and there's no tub. I would love to chance it and hope we get upgraded, but then again they may not. I should probably ask my TA about this and maybe she can shed some light on this.

As far as I can tell, we haven't been assigned a specific stateroom yet. I don't know when they do that or how I can tell. I looked on the cruise personalizer and don't see a specific assignment yet. We're just booked in the AE category. I put the deposit it on the 3/6, final payment due on 4/6. When I look at the Caribbean Princess ship configurations, there is a star by the staterooms in the AE category and it says beds are fixed and there's no tub. I would love to chance it and hope we get upgraded, but then again they may not. I should probably ask my TA about this and maybe she can shed some light on this.

If you don't have a cabin assignment yet, then I doubt very much that you would get one of only two cabins in this category. A bunch of people probably booked the AE guarantee as a way to save money, but will not be assigned to that category.

If you don't have a cabin assignment yet, then I doubt very much that you would get one of only two cabins in this category. A bunch of people probably booked the AE guarantee as a way to save money, but will not be assigned to that category.

So should I just leave it to chance and wait until they assign the stateroom? I guess I should ask, when do they typically assign staterooms? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

So should I just leave it to chance and wait until they assign the stateroom? I guess I should ask, when do they typically assign staterooms? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

That's what I would do. There are only 2 AE cabins. Chances are you will get another cat of mini. Personally, I would still take those (AE) over 1. paying more, or 2. downgrading. Your cabin may not be assigned until the week of the cruise, or it could be assigned soon. :confused: Just keep checking the personalizer for your cabin. Good luck!

Janet

One thing to keep in mind. Generally, the closer to sail date the more expensive the price of the cabin unless a sailing isn't selling well. Basically, it would be cheaper if you want to upgrade to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Archived