Is Mexico an ok desitinatino?

Amerikaner83

With all this recent stuff happening with crime and rugs and all that craziness in Mexico you hear about on the news, is anyone leery about cruises to Mexican ports such as cabo / Ensenada? I ask because I'm booked on Elation 4.26.09 and doing an outing, and I"m not too keen on being kidnapped :-)

Not that I'm thinking it will happen, I just would liek to know what everyone else thinks about the situation and if cruises to ensenada in particular are OK (never been so have no idea what its like)

Thanks for answering my stupid question :-)

With all this recent stuff happening with crime and rugs and all that craziness in Mexico you hear about on the news, is anyone leery about cruises to Mexican ports such as cabo / Ensenada? I ask because I'm booked on Elation 4.26.09 and doing an outing, and I"m not too keen on being kidnapped :-)

Not that I'm thinking it will happen, I just would liek to know what everyone else thinks about the situation and if cruises to ensenada in particular are OK (never been so have no idea what its like)

Not a stupid question...

We just got back from Puerto Vallarta and had no problems. Really friendly people...a charming little town. Did not feel scary at all.

Just be street smart and you will be fine.

We got back from Progreso and Cozumel about the time the state department put out their last warning. We didn't feel threatened or unsafe in any way. These port cities rely heavily on the cruise industry, and I think the local inhabitants and the governments understand this.

DW and I have been to Ensenada several times, and have never felt unsafe. Stick with Carnival excursions and you should be fine. There is alot of security in the ports they protect the tourists that feed their economy.;)

My mom, DD15 and I are leaving on the Elation tomorrow. Plan on doing our 5 mile walk around town in Ensenada. We will stop and eat lunch at our favorite restuarant, have paletas and check out the department store and supermarkets. Maybe swing around to the fish market also. The scariest thing about Ensenada is crossing the six lanes of traffic to get to the main shopping area.

You shouldn't have any problems in Catalina either.:rolleyes:

There was a police and hired security presence back in Jan and Feb, It should be the same when you go.

Forgot to mention the clean bathrooms in the McDonalds and the shops recommend by the ship.

We were on Elation last Nov. We did not feel in any danger in Ensenada or Cabo. We went on a tour in each city and then walked around on our own in the tourist areas. No problems at all.

Jen in SoCal

I sat through a 1-hour, professional security briefing on travel in Mexico tonight because of a group of teens/adults we are sending into Mexico on a mission trip over spring break. I am more than confident it is safe if you use common sense precautions. Avoid out of the way places at night, stay in the tourist areas, don't wander around alone and flaunt your money, etc.

I for one do not think this was a stupid question at all. We are on Elation 5/17 and we did book excursions through Carnival. Normally I would do my own thing in port, but hey why take a chance.

I have to admit, Mexico isn't my favorite place in the world. One of my worst vacations ever was in Cancun (on land, not a cruise). And I don't think I'll ever go back unless it's to an all-inclusive where I never have to deal with kids selling Chicklets for a quarter or Time Share salespeople.

However, as others have said, tourists are the proverbial golden goose down there. The problems with the drug cartels fighting amongst each other haven't generally spilled over into the cruise ports.

Stick with organized groups and you should feel safe.

I never met a rug i didn't like, I didn't know they could be dangerous...

J/K from what I understand you should be just fine...my BIL works as an investigator for US and when I asked him about my upcoming trip to Cozumel he said No problemo man!!!

Good luck with those rugs though your starting to scare me :p

Not a stupid question at all! The U.S. has issued warnings to spring breakers to stay away from Cancun and Acapluco. Aside from the border towns, those are the only 2 that I have heard about having any potential problems. I agree with the other posters, stick to the main part of town, and use good common sense, and you should be fine. I wouldn't let my teenagers out of my sight in Mexico right now, even if it was safe.

I have no idea about Is Mexico an ok desitinatino? (Are you trying to Spanishize the word by adding an "o" at the end?) But I can tell you that Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen are excellen destinations in Mexico. Most of the violence is taking place in US-Mexican border towns. Other than Ensenada which has no reports of violence against tourists, none of the places Carnival goes to is anywhere near the border.

I agree with Vegasman, avoid the border towns. The tourist destinations have had no significant uptick in crime or violence directed at foreigners. Places like Cozumel or Cabo due to their dependence on tourism and their isolated geography are the least likely places for cruisers to encounter the gang related violence that is gripping the border.

I can't wait to go back to Cozumel. Mexicans are crazy fun!!!

Our cab driver bought us beer and let us drink it in the cab. Where in America can you do that? He got a big tip from me (and partially to pay him back for the beer he bought)

My 14 year old cousin was offered shots at Senor Frogs. I love Mexico. It's so fun and crazy.

I can't wait to go back to Cozumel. Mexicans are crazy fun!!!

Our cab driver bought us beer and let us drink it in the cab. Where in America can you do that? He got a big tip from me (and partially to pay him back for the beer he bought)

My 14 year old cousin was offered shots at Senor Frogs. I love Mexico. It's so fun and crazy.

Most of us can do that anywhere in America because most of us are NOT underage.

Dan

Laws vary by state so where you live may be different than where I live. With that said I am unaware of any prohibition on drinking in taxis here in Texas. It is legal for all but the driver to drink in private vehicles in this state. It was even legal for the driver to drink up until the late 1980's. :eek:

Archived