Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Our travel agent said "only the vocal people post on cruise critic" well that is probably true, but you are absolutely correct, just because there is only a small percentage of people complaining on this forum don't think that the rest of the Diamond members aren't going to be very unhappy. I suspect that RCC will be rather surprised when they realize the extent of the rebellion.

A poster was correct when he said the percentage of profit from the suites doesn't equal the total revenue of a full ship.

The percentage of profit from the suites does not equal the total revenue of a whole ship that is true but the Voyager class ships hold over 3000 passengers and as an example of the EX. the average on a 9-12 night cruise there are 225-250 Diamonds and far less on a 5 night Bermuda from everywhere not just CC members. Out of say 200 people half may keep cruising RCCL as they are so close to D plus at this point they'll stay with RCCL. The big revenue comes from onboard spending on a cruise from all passengers and RCCL just upped theirs by limiting the CL to suite and D plus. I'm not saying the Diamonds remaining will spend a fortune on drinks now but many will have a couple of drinks before or with dinner and if you times that amount spent x by ships x by every single day of the year the ships sail and that's a huge increase and I believe RCCL is looking at the bottom line right now first, space second more then anything else. Plus now if a diamond member really wants that CL on a ship other then Freedom Class or Oasis, they'll pay for a lot more for that suite so I expect those cabins to stay high in price. I think RCCL knew exactly what they were doing so I do not think they will be surprised at all with the response of some as they HAD to know some people would be very upset but they still made that decision.

The answer RCI should of had for the overcrowding is to eliminate all Diamond/Diamond + members from the C. lounge , thus leaving it for suite guests as originally planned. They could of use a statement saying they regret the problem, but admit their mistake in making the lounge available to D/D+ members. The use of the lounge was great, if only for the help of the consierge. Well at least I got 1 cruise in as a diamond member, now we are diamond dust.

The answer RCI should of had for the overcrowding is to eliminate all Diamond/Diamond + members from the C. lounge , thus leaving it for suite guests as originally planned. They could of use a statement saying they regret the problem, but admit their mistake in making the lounge available to D/D+ members. The use of the lounge was great, if only for the help of the consierge. Well at least I got 1 cruise in as a diamond member, now we are diamond dust.

I beg to differ about the reason for the uproar this has caused with people here on CC. My bet is that if allowed ALL diamond members to have concierge lounge access at all times EXCEPT for the happy hour times people would still be crying fowl!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't care what people claim......."IT IS ABOUT THE FREE DRINKS":rolleyes: Not everyone is in denial BUT too many people pretend that its not about the drinks but the loss of the concierge.:p

...and there would be an officer at the door to check sea passes.

It's even easier than that.

They simply have to bring up one of the security machines from the gangway and one of the security officers to man it.

Those devices display the cardholder's picture and status so it would be instantly apparent if a card was improperly presented. Everyone is familiar with them and there would be no surprise at its presence.

Also, no one would argue with the security officer the way they might with the Concierge or her assistant.

Speaking only for myself, it's not about looking at other cruise lines to find those benefits that C&A has taken away, but now it's no longer worth paying the extra $$$ to cruise RCL and not get those benefits. I didn't mind paying a little more for a cruise when I was getting a little something in return.

And it's not about paying or not paying for drinks.....for us it was the USE of the Concierge Lounge, with the cappuccinos and good company, or even solitude at certain times of the day.

Great Post, Absolutely agree!

Did you understand the replacement of a removed benefit with another (lessened) benefit?

Customers can appreciate the reduction of benefits when their loyalty is still recognized and rewarded by other means.

If the "problem" is overcrowding in the Concierge or overflow lounges, this addresses the "problem".

If the "problem" is cost containment of complimentary cocktails, this addresses that "problem".

I offer suggested alterations and am still met with denigrating remarks.

I think your letter would have been much better than that sent by RC, even without the half price drink idea.

Sometime ago I suggested, on this or another thread, that two coupons for free drinks, valid only for that evening, be given each diamond or above member as they enter the overflow lounge. This would require ship personnel control, but I believe it could be done. There would, of course, have to be control over the Concierge Lounge itself from 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm. There are various methods to do this, but I want to avoid too much detail here.

There would be some details to work out for the "two free drink" solution, but I am confident they could be worked out with relative ease. Again, I want to avoid being bogged down with detail here. But two drinks would address the cost problem, and would keep a lounge open to diamonds to visit with some of those whom they have "met" and visited with on a roll call thread. It would reduce overcrowding, as those who enter at 5:00 would leave after they had consumed the two drinks.

Surely Royal Caribbean has people with the ability to solve the overcrowding problem, if that is really the problem, in a far more satisfactory manner than has been done to date. I believe there are no posters on this thread who desire for Royal Caribbean to fail economically. But the underpinning of free market economics is self-interest. This is true for both theoretical and practical economics. People here are writing about going to another cruise line for reasons they consider to be in their self-interest. And I believe most, or all, do so with sorrow and regret.

I must stop posting. Royal Caribbean management may be, unfortunately, deaf to anyone else's thoughts anyway.

Bob :cool:.

I think your letter would have been much better than that sent by RC, even without the half price drink idea.

Sometime ago I suggested, on this or another thread, that two coupons for free drinks, valid only for that evening, be given each diamond or above member as they enter the overflow lounge. This would require ship personnel control, but I believe it could be done. There would, of course, have to be control over the Concierge Lounge itself from 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm. There are various methods to do this, but I want to avoid too much detail here.

There would be some details to work out for the "two free drink" solution, but I am confident they could be worked out with relative ease. Again, I want to avoid being bogged down with detail here. But two drinks would address the cost problem, and would keep a lounge open to diamonds to visit with some of those whom they have "met" and visited with on a roll call thread. It would reduce overcrowding, as those who enter at 5:00 would leave after they had consumed the two drinks.

Surely Royal Caribbean has people with the ability to solve the overcrowding problem, if that is really the problem, in a far more satisfactory manner than has been done to date. I believe there are no posters on this thread who desire for Royal Caribbean to fail economically. But the underpinning of free market economics is self-interest. This is true for both theoretical and practical economics. People here are writing about going to another cruise line for reasons they consider to be in their self-interest. And I believe most, or all, do so with sorrow and regret.

I must stop posting. Royal Caribbean management may be, unfortunately, deaf to anyone else's thoughts anyway.

Bob :cool:.

Bob, you are right of course on all counts. Royal Caribbean is making a HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!

Colleen

I were the head of the Crown and Anchor Society of RCCL here's the way I would have made the changes and how I would have annouced them:

==============================================

Dear Crown and Anchor Diamond Member,

We here at Royal Caribbean appreciate your loyalty over the years by sailing Royal Caribbean. We understand that our customers have many choices available to them when making their vacation decisions and we created the Crown and Anchor society to recognize and reward our most loyal customers.

By reaching Diamond level, you are among our most valuable customers and we regard your business in the past and future as the backbone of our success. We also realize that our Diamond and Diamond Plus members commonly introduce their friends and family to Royal Caribbean and we are confident the Royal Caribbean committment to quality and service will keep those new customers coming back.

We do value the relationship we've built with our repeat passengers but circumstances had compelled us to make some inconvenient changes in our rewards program. We do hope you understand the need for making these changes and continue to consider us for your future vacations.

The changes in the program are as follows:

Beginning with sailings departing on or after July 1, 2009 the complimentary happy hour on ships with a Concierge Lounge will be restricted to passengers sailing in our suite cabins of the Grand Suite category and above. We will also continue to invite Crown and Anchor members at the Diamond Plus level to join the Concierge events.

Due to attendance abuse in the past, we will upgrade the security system at the Concierge Lounge to ensure only invited guests are admitted.

Unfortunately, due to the wonderful success of the Crown and Anchor loyalty program, the number of Diamond level passengers has outgrown our capacity to host them in the Concierge Lounge.

We want to continue to express our appreciation to our Diamond members by inviting you to enjoy half price cocktails from 5:30 to 8:00 pm at all venues throughout the ship. Simply present your SeaPass card when purchasing your beverages and the prices will be automatically adjusted. This benefit is limited to 4 beverages per participant, per day.

We regret the need to reduce this program but your continued business with Royal Caribbean is vital to our success and our ability to make Royal Caribbean your favorite cruise line.

Thank you for your ongoing loyalty to Royal Caribbean International. We hope to see you onboard very soon.

==============================================

I think this would have been a great response from rccl :)

The way the converstations are going on this topic, it looks as if there might never be an overcrowding situation with D+ members. It doesn't sound as if a lot of us have making to D+ a goal anymore. (I'll bet I am not the first to say this right?) When we did a Med cruise a few years ago we were still Platinum and were treated to a wonderful lunch in the dining room with a first class meal, wine or champagne, and an officer at every table. We wil take our next cruise on Royal, because we have $200 on deposit with them, and then we will make our choices based on ports and schedules.

Carolyn

You have stated the obvious. Yes, the D+'s and the Suite bookers (many of whom are D+'s) might be lonely on many, many sailings. The Diamonds who also booked many of the suites, might just be booking elsewhere. As a stockholder I can only say, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well this new policy of kicking Diamonds out of the CL was the deciding factor for my parents to cancel two cruises with RCL. They were booked on the Voyager for 21 nights; they were on the fence about going but this new policy took them off the fence. Since becoming Diamonds they have enjoyed the CL and sailed two more cruise because of the access to the lounge. Now they have too sail 12 more times to regain access then it could be taken away again. I hope RCL is happy with the lose of 21 nights of revenue.

I think this is a very bad business decision; punish your most loyal customers by taking things away. "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Is the cost of a few drinks worth losing a loyal customer base? If RCL wants to save money great for them but do it by cutting back want is served in the CL not who is served.

I beg to differ about the reason for the uproar this has caused with people here on CC. My bet is that if allowed ALL diamond members to have concierge lounge access at all times EXCEPT for the happy hour times people would still be crying fowl!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't care what people claim......."IT IS ABOUT THE FREE DRINKS":rolleyes: Not everyone is in denial BUT too many people pretend that its not about the drinks but the loss of the concierge.:p

I second this statement - ITS ALL ABOUT THE FREE DRINKS for 98% of the Diamond Members protesting!!

Is it about the free drinks? Yes of course it is! Is it all about it... no!

We've sailed 14 cruises with RCI - all except one a week or more - and spent approximately $100,000 with them. We are 35. We were exceedingly loyal, and are currently booked on Independence (which has Diamond Lounge) however I am looking to cancel that cruise due to the policy. We've stuck with RCI as we like their product, but due to cost-cutting measures as well as this one we've decided to broaden our horizons. Getting a couple or three free drinks per night (we never abused the privilge) was a lovely perks which kept us loyal. That has gone.

There's been a number of intelligent posts on here and I can sum these up as follows:

* If the CL was originally for suite guests, then only they should have that privilige. Sorry Diamond plussers.

* A secondary lounge should be provided (or vouchers etc) to compensate for the loss of complementary drinks.

* Those that abuse the system should have those privilges taken away (ie visibly inebriated)

It seems the RCI product is no longer what it was :-( and as such we are taking the view of looking at all other options - certainly Cunard again and P&O. We're going with NCL next month so hope that's going to open more doors for us.

That's me done on the matter, I think RCI are too stubborn to change so I guess we will eventually get to D+, but it will be a long way in the future.

Its not all about free drinks to us - its the way RCI have gone about the issue.

Do we sit and booze the night away NO - 2 free drinks before dinner is the max for us ( if we go - some nights we don't go )

Is it about the help of the C - YES he/she does a great job

Is it about having a nice place to have a quiet Coffee - YES

Is it about meeting friends new and old - YES

So come on RCI do the right thing.

jj......

Is it about the free drinks? Yes of course it is! Is it all about it... no!

* If the CL was originally for suite guests, then only they should have that privilige. Sorry Diamond plussers.

* Those that abuse the system should have those privilges taken away (ie visibly inebriated)

I believe that RCCL have been quite clever by leaving in the Plussers. This gives present Diamonds something to continue cruising for!! The time will come, when Plussers will be barred also I think. The point is that there are not that many Plussers - so that the Lounge can cope with the few extra.

Privileges taken away? Bring on the lawyers!!!:D:D And the Concierge doesn't want to lose customers because of the tips!! And many of the big drinkers, tip big!!!

Actually, I think your wrong. If happy hour was taken away (along with the so called free booze) I wouldn't need to tip the bartenders what is basically the equivilant of my drinks. The Conceirge's tip is directly related to the service he/she provides thus that wouldn't necessarily change. However, I would still have access to the CL at all other times and could use their service (as needed) and that is a real benefit to me as time is money too!

The Jewel is one of our favorite ships as well, and the Odyssey is a perfect place for the spillover lounge.

As a matter of fact, I think that the Odyssey is the lounge on the Jewel that would suit a special lounge for Diamonds.......to have cocktails and appetizers on a nightly basis. The cocktails would be deeply discounted, and there would be an officer at the door to check sea passes. Any Diamond Plus or Suite passenger would also be allowed to use this lounge, and pay the going rate.

I envision that the program would be set up, as it is now, with no foo foo drinks, just the same ones that are now allowed in the spill over lounge.

At some point, only Suite guests would be allowed the concierge lounge.

What I'm trying to work out in my mind, is to have someone like a concierge to be able to handle changing dinner reservations, pass out tender tickets, and a host of other items.

A new coffee machine would be placed in the Odyssey for cappuccinos, with the time being set from 7AM to 10 AM. I know that the lounge is used for different functions during the day..........but it would be a Diamond Lounge during the morning hours, and from 5 PM to 8:30 PM.

Would something like this appeal to Diamond members.........or am I way off track???

By the way, I have picked this one lounge on one ship to illustrate my point.

Rick

IMO, you are not off track.

IMO, I believe the general consensus here would be that WE ALL like to feel a bit special when we're on a cruise. After all, it's a hard earned vacation that many of us enjoy so much. Although I am an avid RCI cruiser, I have sailed with other cruise lines and for the most part, enjoyed their product but not as much as RCI. It's a bit sad that so many are leaving for reasons which to them are valid and that's their prerogative. Whether we all agree to disagree, one thing should be very clear. That is that no matter who we choose to sail with, it should solely be based on the fact that we want that cruise to be a memorable and enjoyable one! PERIOD! If for the many of the folks that have staunchly claimed their feeling of being taken advantage of for being loyal to Royal, leave on a basis as a simple slap in the face to RCI, what/who is that really going to affect? Sure RCI will lose some business, but keep in mind that over 30% of the population have never cruised so there is still room to make up for that in the future (as do the other cruise lines as well).

Listen, leave if you want to but go take your vacation based on what will make you happy and with a cruise line that you feel will give you that. I hope people are not canceling and hoping to find what they've lost with RCI in other cruise lines because you won't. For what they're worth, each cruise line has their own pro's and con's as many of you may know. To say one is better than the other is opinion based but so many posts I've read here mention that a certain cruise was canceled and then immediately rebooked with another cruise line. Wow, I can't even begin to think of how I can change my plans that fast and find an alternative cruise that will make up for it. I'd have rather canceled completely and took a while to review many other options!

Loyalty programs are offered on other cruise lines and although RCI's may not be so great anymore, I believe their cruise product as whole certainly is. I will continue to book my cruises primarily with RCI because they're MY first choice! I love the new ships, their new itineraries and of course, the many crew I've made friends with in the past that I personally believe enjoy ME coming back time and again. I have certainly enjoyed THEM. This coming May 22 :cool:will be my return to the Rhapsody on my first Alaska cruise. I sailed on her many times when she had the Galveston itinerary and enjoyed it thoroughly. I can't wait to go back on to see my old and certainly new friends on the ship. That to me means loyalty and it's not what I can get out of it in the form of a CL or a coupon booklet or a Balcony discount, it's more what I take from it to bring back home with me after the cruise...A FANTASTIC VOYAGE!

Just my "other" two cents!

Peace,

Ace

I have no issues with your view on things and given your cruising resume, it makes sense.

Now look at it from my point of view. When I started cruising on RCCL five years ago, I had never tried another cruise line. Did I enjoy the RCCL ships? Sure, without question. But I've heard some pretty good things about other lines too. What kept us loyal to Royal was the C&A program and that CL carrot dangling out there. I know it seems like a little thing, but it tipped the scale enough to not let us look elsewhere. And I'm sure if you asked the brass at RCCL, they would tell you that was the idea... to get people to stay here and reach for the diamond goal.

Now that they have pulled back that perk (as is their right to do), they have just made themselves equal with everyone else for our vacation dollar. In fact, why would I not try some other lines now? Maybe there is something else I'll like more. Sure, you have settled on RCCL, but we are all different, aren't we? I might cruise Carnival or Princess or Norweigan and prefer one of them for some reason. Who knows? In addition, I have never tried a all-inclusive at an island. This move has also opened that up as an option for us. Not that it wasn't an option before, but we admittedly had "Diamond vision" and were chasing the carrot.

We haven't gone right out and canceled our August booking, but we are comparing options. I know for a fact I'll cruise RCCL again, whether it be in August or another time. But no longer will it be exclusively. At least not until I have tried everything else for myself and determined that it is my preference.

Well you don’t care what people claim!!!!!! WHY mention it you are making an assumption NO Facts. I would say for the Americans its the coffee they love in there but then I am making an assumption. Don’t tar with a brush every one when you have NO PROFF what you are saying. I think IMHO most folk are missing the whole point RCCL gave treats for being loyal to them ........... so folk were loyal and now they have taken away the treats. Also in the short time I have cruised with RCCL have noticed a down ward trend in the food and amenities that’s A FACT, people not getting dressed up as much on formal nights, which I enjoy and some turning up looking like they are off to a bar-b-q not going to dinner.

The percentage of profit from the suites does not equal the total revenue of a whole ship that is true but the Voyager class ships hold over 3000 passengers and as an example of the EX. the average on a 9-12 night cruise there are 225-250 Diamonds and far less on a 5 night Bermuda from everywhere not just CC members. Out of say 200 people half may keep cruising RCCL as they are so close to D plus at this point they'll stay with RCCL. The big revenue comes from onboard spending on a cruise from all passengers and RCCL just upped theirs by limiting the CL to suite and D plus. I'm not saying the Diamonds remaining will spend a fortune on drinks now but many will have a couple of drinks before or with dinner and if you times that amount spent x by ships x by every single day of the year the ships sail and that's a huge increase and I believe RCCL is looking at the bottom line right now first, space second more then anything else. Plus now if a diamond member really wants that CL on a ship other then Freedom Class or Oasis, they'll pay for a lot more for that suite so I expect those cabins to stay high in price. I think RCCL knew exactly what they were doing so I do not think they will be surprised at all with the response of some as they HAD to know some people would be very upset but they still made that decision.

Let's just hope the bean counters at RCCL made the right assumptions when they did their little study, or this move could backfire.

I think it was extremely risky in this economic environment to do anything that could alienate core customers. They felt otherwise. As I've said before, I may not agree with the move but I hope for their business lives it was a sound one. I don't want to see them go under.

I second this statement - ITS ALL ABOUT THE FREE DRINKS for 98% of the Diamond Members protesting!!

Really? Is this an accurate statement? Have you read all 2800 comments and dismissed the MAJORITY that say that it is NOT ALL ABOUT THE FREE DRINKS???

This is a smear and a tactic used by some to deprecate Diamonds. 98% of the Diamond members protesting have said time and time again that it is not JUST the complimentary drinks. I think it is disengenuous of a Diamond plusser to continue this argument. It is inflammatory and I'm not sure why it helps to accuse 98% of Diamonds of being freeloading, chairhogging drunks.

Why do Diamond plus and suite people use the lounge? Let's all be fair in our comments.

Really? Is this an accurate statement?

Why do Diamond plus and suite people use the lounge? .

I am Diamond Plus and have been for quite some time. We only use the lounge for drinks. That was our goal since we started cruising. That benefit for two people is probably a 50.00 per day benefit.

I know what this thread says......but for those of you have been in the lounge, you know that you have access to it 24 hours a day. Coffee is included 24 hours per day. I don't see people filling the room for the coffee. But once that liquer cabinet opens.............there is not a seat available. I don't notice a line up for coffee, only drinks.

I am Diamond Plus and have been for quite some time. We only use the lounge for drinks. That was our goal since we started cruising. That benefit for two people is probably a 50.00 per day benefit.

I know what this thread says......but for those of you have been in the lounge, you know that you have access to it 24 hours a day. Coffee is included 24 hours per day. I don't see people filling the room for the coffee. But once that liquer cabinet opens.............there is not a seat available. I don't notice a line up for coffee, only drinks.

Thanks Ksuds. You are the first that I've read (Diamond/+) that states this. I do enjoy the cocktail hours too but have waited in line for coffee in the morning as well. Granted, that line is no where near as long as the cocktail line and it moves much faster.

I have been informed by my TA that this does not yet apply to UK guests, however that is a pretty feeble response, imagine if UK members had lounge access and US did not!!!!.

I have finally had a response to my email I sent off the RCI UK last week…

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the upset that the recent changes have caused. We always strive to reward our loyal cruisers and so are sorry to hear that you feel let down.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you can appreciate, the current economic climate

has meant that we have had to alter some of the amenities onboard our

ships.

I'm sure that this will not take away from the enjoyment of your cruise,

and hope that you still continue cruising with us.

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to call our customer

relations team on 01932 834 330.

Now I am extremely unhappy with what's been happening - not just because of the Concierge lounge debate, but of the way the whole C&A 'perks' have been either eliminated or downgraded, and how it has been handled by RCI.

I have only sailed once before on RCI and loved it. I have now booked another 3 cruises (Mariner & Oasis B2B) based on my enjoyment of the Freedom sailing.

For me, I was looking forward to being rewarded, no matter how small, as a repeat customer, and I was looking forward to all the additional perks I would receive. For me, that means I would naturally look towards a RCI cruise before another.

Now as far as I'm concerned, my repeat business and loyalty doesn't really count for anything (and I do realize I am only talking about my one previous RCI cruise as opposed to the many that the majority of people on here have done).

This is the view from somebody who is new to RCI and would have become a valued repeat cruiser.

From what I can gather, RCI have been cost cutting for some time now (No more chocolates left on pillow / no more late night buffets / No more daily or gala midnight buffets / Johnny Rockets fee increase / Late nite room service fee / No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee / No more bringing wine onboard / No more morning ice service / No in-room beach towel service / charges for MDR meal options / food quality/choice seems to be deteriorating )

and me for one is asking where is this going to end......?

I book my holidays 18 months + in advance, and now all I can think of is what is going to happen between now and my Oasis sailing in 2010.

I have booked a product secure in the knowledge of what to expect, but with all these changes happening, who knows what will be next?

For me the changes are not so drastic, but as a first time repeat customer I was really looking forward to a C&A welcome back party, a C&A gift left in the stateroom (no matter how cheap or useless it was going to be).

Yes, for me RCI have great ships, and I am esp looking forward to sailing on Oasis, but I do have a feeling that my total cruising experience with RCI will now forever be a little bit tainted.

Yes, we are in an economic downturn, but surely its time to start giving something back instead of take, take, take!!!!!!!!

Who cares what it is about, drinks or otherwise?

The point is that RCI dangled a carrot that created a successful loyalty program. Now, apparently, it is too successful and they decided to slash the carrot into little pieces.

Pretty basic, if you ask me. And that has created a lot of distrust. Loyalty cannot be a one way street.

This doesn't personally affect me as we utilize all sorts of vacation options. However, I certainly feel for those who feel like the carrot just got pulled 15 cruises further ahead.

Archived