Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

One of the problems is that people WERE bringing friends and family into the CL's/overflows with them as they were introducing them to cruising. How many times have we read of people doing that on CC? Numerous. And when told no, you could not do that by other CC members they had a million reasons why it was acceptable to do so because they just couldn't leave friends and family behind while they went to CL. How many times have we read that people want to bring non diamond friends and family with them to priority boarding lounges or Diamond parties because they were cruising together? Countless times. Again they all found reasons why it was perfectly acceptable to do so.

Suzanne,

I am sure there are people that do that. But showing your seapass card when you order your first drink the first time you come in alleviates that problem immediately. If it doesn't say Suite, Diamond or Diamond plus then you should be discreetly asked to leave. Everyone has a seapass card that they carry with them at all times on the ship. It really is pretty simple. The Concierge (at least in our experience) has always checked out who we are (names & cabin numbers) introduced themselves and asked us our needs. To show them our seapass card in addition to that would not be insulting to anyone.

If you are a regular those bartenders and the concierge know who you are after the first night. They are EXCELLENTLY trained in that area. I am not offended by having to show my seapass card. Why should Diamonds be punished because RCI doesn't enforce their own rules? If people KNOW they are going to have to show their seapass card the first time, they won't bring anyone else in as it would be embarrassing.

Sometimes I think RCI brings many of these problems upon themselves by not being consistent in enforcing their own rules. Being a mother and now a grandmother I have to tell you that parenting 101 tells you to be CONSISTENT in enforcing the rules or you will end up with an unruly child.

The same can be said of the pool chair hogs. If RCI enforced their own rules consistently we wouldn't be dealing with the unseemly sight of roped off areas for pool seats on a mass market cruise line.

No one can say there are not also suite guests that bring in family and friends not staying in suites into the CL. It is not...Diamonds are bad..Suite guests are good. Many of us are often one in the same.

Colleen

Suzanne,

I am sure there are people that do that. But showing your seapass card when you order your first drink the first time you come in alleviates that problem immediately. If it doesn't say Suite, Diamond or Diamond plus then you should be discreetly asked to leave. Everyone has a seapass card that they carry with them at all times on the ship. It really is pretty simple. The Concierge (at least in our experience) has always checked out who we are (names & cabin numbers) introduced themselves and asked us our needs. To show them our seapass card in addition to that would not be insulting to anyone.

If you are a regular those bartenders and the concierge know who you are after the first night. They are EXCELLENTLY trained in that area. I am not offended by having to show my seapass card. Why should Diamonds be punished because RCI doesn't enforce their own rules? If people KNOW they are going to have to show their seapass card the first time, they won't bring anyone else in as it would be embarrassing.

Sometimes I think RCI brings many of these problems upon themselves by not being consistent in enforcing their own rules. Being a mother and now a grandmother I have to tell you that parenting 101 tells you to be CONSISTENT in enforcing the rules or you will end up with an unruly child.

The same can be said of the pool chair hogs. If RCI enforced their own rules consistently we wouldn't be dealing with the unseemly sight of roped off areas for pool seats on a mass market cruise line.

No one can say there are not also suite guests that bring in family and friends not staying in suites into the CL. It is not...Diamonds are bad..Suite guests are good. Many of us are often one in the same.

Colleen

Colleen,

Unfortunately on the EX. as the CL and overflow has become so crowded the concierge and staff does not have the time to check every seapass/CL card as people come in the door. They are busy assisting guests with questions, special requests, etc. Friends and family can become regulars real quick and easy too don't forget in a large crowd and it's a touchy thing for staff to confront anyone at times. They do not want to insult a suite/diamond/plus guest and question if they should be in there or not once they ARE there. In Dec. they had to finally post men outside the overflow door to check sea passes toward the end of the cruise. The door of the CL was just propped open as no room inside to do the buzzer thing. The bartenders are working as fast as they can, they do not have time to know who is who on the Ex. There was a time when that was possible but it's not anymore unless they want to hire more people to put in the CL's/overflows to work the crowd.

I agree, RCCL has brought problems on itself at times no question about that but RCCL management is not standing there when a Diamond/plus member is upset with a concierge because he is nicely trying to tell her she can't bring her friends in for a night and many times a concierge will give the ok depending on the situation or the degree on confrontation. Then of course you get the...... well you let so and so do it...... and there you have it! On the Ex. there is only one concierge for several hundred suite and Diamond/plus guests. Definitely over 300 CL guests on my cruises. It's not an easy job at all and they do their best to keep everyone happy as you know and I've seen guests be very nasty and insistent about bringing guests in if they even ask at all. Yes, suite guests pull the same thing also but unless they are C & A members they can't really be blamed for this type of thing as their bad behavior doesn't reflect back on C & A members.

I agree, consistency is the key but it's not a one on one situation, its a 300 + vs. one concierge on the Ex. and other ships at times and I can only tell you what I have seen and it may be different on other ships.

Well the suite guests will no longer have to worry about chair hogs in the new suite guest only pool chair section something I have been very vocal against it as I do not think the ships are designed for such a set up and I'm not sitting behind a rope at the pool on the ship as a suite guest as I think the concept is ridiculas and it just alienates passengers in a very informal setting where everyone is enjoying the same pools together. They can't keep seem to control the CL and they are going to card people to use a chair? lol :D

Anyway here is a possible venue for you and others to voice your issues/questions thru RCCL talk raduo if you were not aware of it already. I'm not saying it will change anything but the RCCL host does give his email address during the show to submit topics about cruising.

http://www.modavox.com/voiceamerica/vepisode.aspx?aid=37569

Hey Suzanne,

I appreciate the link. I have never sailed the Ex and I guess different ships, different sailings have different situations. I just have never really seen the over crowding in the overflow lounges. But then again, we don't always go, maybe just a couple of nights each sailing and we have late dining.

I do hope RCI figures out a way to remedy this situation somehow, without continuing to upset its Diamond Members. There has to be a way that is better than the way it was handled a couple weeks ago. On that I think most agree.

I also appreciate your insight and knowledge about RCI and cruising. You are someone that gains the respect of all at CC. Intelligent, knowlegeable and fair minded. Thank you for that.

Happy Cruising,

Colleen

Unfortunately, Colleen, you just don't seem to get it!! There are just too many Diamonds - something had to give - we all knew that!! It was just a question of 'when'!! They just can't be accommodated any longer.

Yes, people have abused the system, but its really just that the loyalty programme became too popular and it was too easy to become Diamond for those who lived near ports and/or could do the short cruises!!!

I think an evening Lounge with a pay bar (like Princess) would have made more sense - but I have a feeling that this thread would have been just the same anyway!!! For most Diamonds - its all about the free drinks!!

Perhaps RCCL will reconsider - but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting!!

When we board in a few weeks time, I shall refuse to discuss the matter in the CL. Its a ship and there's no democracy on board. If people cause big trouble, they are errrr.....'requested' to leave the ship!! The decision is made - and until/if Corporate decide to change it, that's it - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!! Or the Lounge!!:D:D

I actually don't think RCCL will lose much Diamond business. In this economy, most people are looking at price anyway - I know many who are considering other lines just because of RCCL's prices and nothing to do with the loyalty programme.

Unfortunately, we shall never know the numbers involved - i.e. cost of drinks plus loss of revenue if Diamonds were paying for those drinks (question is: would they drink so much if they had to pay for them?:D). Then there is the cost and availability of staff to service the satellite lounge at the busiest time on board for F&B.

I also think that they will change the criteria for the different levels. Be interesting to see whether they grandfather in the present members!! Probably could do that if the Plusser level was made much more difficult to attain. Just annoy a few more people though!! I think they should have changed the whole thing in one swoop - now, if they change the criteria, we will have another 200 pages to contend with!!!

I'm not quite sure how people take friends into the lounge or the overflow area. Every cruise we have been on in the last 3 years ( we are D+ with 31 cruises and will leave next week on NAV for the transatlantic) there was a person checking SEA PASS CARDS and a list before you could enter.

Also we find that very few suite guests have been in the lounges when we have been there. Maybe we just miss them but my hubby usually meets almost everyone !

What is your feeling on this matter? I woulld like to know what D+ are thinking.

You are correct about that.

Our next cruise, on May 11, will not be affected.

I can bet that subject will be the talk of the CL

where we will go every evening, during that cruise.

The thing is, that "bugs us", is that SOMEBODY

pays for the Concierge Lounge. It is NOT FREE offered by

R.C.C.L. out of the goodness of management in Miami.

Every passenger on that ship, Diamond cruiser, Suite Cruiser, or, first cruisers are paying for that amenity...

So, since it is paid for by us and, others, we'll use it.

Now, we have a b-2-b in January 2010, on the VOYAGER of the SEAS.

We booked that ship because we like the CL and, to get away from the Denver area winter in Januarys...we enjoy that so much, we booked 2 cruises this January. Since we won't have the CL availible to us for those

2 cruises, do you suppose R.C.C.L. will refund a portion of our money paid for those cruises, we booked in anticipation of being able to use the Concierge Lounge?

Nah...never happen... :rolleyes:

Newly minted Cubic Zircons.

That's a good point, though.

Why weren't they checking your card to get into the lounge & only allowing Diamong members in?

That would make too much sense! And they would have to do it CONSISTENTLY....not one of Royal Caribbean's strong points.

You are correct about that.

Our next cruise, on May 11, will not be affected.

I can bet that subject will be the talk of the CL

where we will go every evening, during that cruise.

The thing is, that "bugs us", is that SOMEBODY

pays for the Concierge Lounge. It is NOT FREE offered by

R.C.C.L. out of the goodness of management in Miami.

Every passenger on that ship, Diamond cruiser, Suite Cruiser, or, first cruisers are paying for that amenity...

So, since it is paid for by us and, others, we'll use it.

Now, we have a b-2-b in January 2010, on the VOYAGER of the SEAS.

We booked that ship because we like the CL and, to get away from the Denver area winter in Januarys...we enjoy that so much, we booked 2 cruises this January. Since we won't have the CL availible to us for those

2 cruises, do you suppose R.C.C.L. will refund a portion of our money paid for those cruises, we booked in anticipation of being able to use the Concierge Lounge?

Nah...never happen... :rolleyes:

Newly minted Cubic Zircons.

If it is more than 70 days before your cruise they should refund all of your money unless it was booked with a next cruise, then you will lose that deposit. Just call them and check it out, tell them why your cancelling I am sure they have heard the same story many times in the past few weeks.

You booked that ship because you like the CL:confused::confused::eek::eek:

Why would this surprise you?

I suppose that it will be a shock to know that we eargerly anticipated making Diamond status because of the CL. When we are looking at ships, the availabilty of having a CL had become important to us. Important enough that, with all else being equal, we'd book an RCI cruise over any other cruise line. For that matter, even if the price was a little more, say $100 more per person, we'd still book with RCI because of the diamond benefits we recieved. Not the least of which was access to the CL.

We haven't been Diamond long enough to really get to us the CL but, it was great getting to know other diamond members. Every night the same people would get together over a drink or two and chat.

The funny thing was, you could tell the diamond and diamond plus members from the suite guests. The diamond and diamond plus members where there for the experience and to meet and talk with others. Those in the suite's seemed to be there for a drink, to relax and be off to themselves. I can see why those who booked in a suite would resent guests who had not "paid" for the privledge in their eyes.

So I can see why RCI has made this change. It's just that I don't feel adaquately compensated for the lose. A "special event" for diamond members may be nice but, it's only ONE event. It's not meeting up with the same people every night and forming friendships that can last a lifetime.

I will really miss the CL lounges on the Voyager and Radiance class ships. The Radiance class is really my favorite. I'm not fond of the idea that now I must sail on the huge ships sailing the caribbean to get the same benefit we once enjoyed.

IMHO, RCI has really screwed up on this one. The sad part is they're not likely to realize the true effect until they've lost a good portion of those loyal cruisers. Once you lose you base of loyalty with guests, it's nearly impossible to get it back.

I understand the change. But there were better alternatives than to have one "special" event. An event that will undoubtedly clash with other things we'd like to be doing when they schedule it for that one day that fits RCI's schedule.

Unfortunately, Colleen, you just don't seem to get it!! There are just too many Diamonds - something had to give - we all knew that!! It was just a question of 'when'!! They just can't be accommodated any longer.

Yes, people have abused the system, but its really just that the loyalty programme became too popular and it was too easy to become Diamond for those who lived near ports and/or could do the short cruises!!!

I think an evening Lounge with a pay bar (like Princess) would have made more sense - but I have a feeling that this thread would have been just the same anyway!!! For most Diamonds - its all about the free drinks!!

When we board in a few weeks time, I shall refuse to discuss the matter in the CL. Its a ship and there's no democracy on board. If people cause big trouble, they are errrr.....'requested' to leave the ship!! The decision is made - and until/if Corporate decide to change it, that's it - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!! Or the Lounge!!:D:D

I actually don't think RCCL will lose much Diamond business. In this economy, most people are looking at price anyway - I know many who are considering other lines just because of RCCL's prices and nothing to do with the loyalty programme.

Unfortunately, we shall never know the numbers involved - i.e. cost of drinks plus loss of revenue if Diamonds were paying for those drinks (question is: would they drink so much if they had to pay for them?:D). Then there is the cost and availability of staff to service the satellite lounge at the busiest time on board for F&B.

I also think that they will change the criteria for the different levels. Be interesting to see whether they grandfather in the present members!! Probably could do that if the Plusser level was made much more difficult to attain. Just annoy a few more people though!! I think they should have changed the whole thing in one swoop - now, if they change the criteria, we will have another 200 pages to contend with!!!

I agree there were too many Diamonds, but this was entirely predictable. Don't they have calculators in Miami? What if American Airlines gave free first-class upgrades to anyone who had accumulated 30-40 flights over their lifetime? It would be ridiculous. RCI could have started using a time limit, or raised the bar slowly, or changed its system to not give equal weight to 3-4 day cruises, etc.

This is simply part of a major trimming of amenities, from chocolate on the pillow to no more commemorative gifts. They're advertising heavily and looking for the new cruisers who aren't too price-conscious.

Fine. But a symbolically important perk of an elite status is a little different. There's a representation there of reward for loyalty in a highly competitive market, and that implied bargain got yanked. A cruise isn't just hopping on a boat and going to an island; they all try to create a special experience that spoils the passengers and makes them feel special and welcome. So their welching on the CL isn't about losing a chance to slam some free booze, it's about having been loyal so your vacation can feel even more special, and being dissed.

Your post was most polite and thoughtful, but I am appalled at the arrogant and snide hostility coming from some of the posters on this topic. I've met these people at my dining table - and of course in the CL - and I guarantee you I had a new table assignment the next night.

NO i don't think you get it - its the manner it has been done for starters - no thought has been given before announcing this sorry mess and to round it off they're losing loyal customers !!

Still waiting on an email confirming the changes from the UK office - what a company ( nearly 2wks )

jj.......

Carroozer has captured my thoughts, too. I started this thread more than a week ago, and it's great to read the mostly rational responses -- pro and con.

The free drinks certainly are a perk, but as I stated previously, I drink one or two beers top each evening, and DW sips one glass of wine. Then, at the end of the cruise, we tip the Concierge AND, if at a second location, the bartender. So, when the cruise ends, we may be a mere few bucks ahead.

It's about the experience, feeling special (that is RCCL's top goal for its guests) and being rewarded for our loyalty. Again, as I reported, we cancelled next spring;s cruise on Serenade, an booked Caribbean Princess instead. As many posters creatively pointed out, WHY NOT try Princess for the first time?

...well hopefully members will put a message on the bulletin board so that all disgruntled guests can meet in one certain area away from the other folks who are there to enjoy their cruise! Can't imagine anyone who is so upset with what happened with the C&A policies would still go forward with their cruise or better yet, book a cruise just to go and complain about it!!!:rolleyes:

I really have to agree with you on this matter. I may not like some of the things that RCI does but once I commit to going on a cruise the last thing I am going to do is look for things to complain about. Once I step foot on the ship it is all abnout having a great time.

Why would this surprise you?

Well I hope you enjoy your cruise even without the CL. :)

I'm also a Diamond and have used the CL however I must now decide do I continue to book with Royal or do I cruise elsewhere:confused:

I will continue to cruise with Royal because the good out weights the bad. I have a wonderful cruise each and every time.

I just never cruised thinking to get to the perks. Ok I got them now they are taken away no biggie life goes on. I cruise to get away from work and house chores, relax, have fun, soak up the sun, see beautiful ports and have meals that I usually don't have time to prepare at home. :rolleyes:

I never picked a ship for the CL. It it is there fine if not no big deal.

Maybe it is not a biggie for me because I don't drink, I always meet and make lifetime friends outside the CL (the CL gets to crowded). I will miss the coffee machine but the promenade has great coffee too.

I also understand in this economy that cruiselines have to make cuts. They can't have rock bottom rates AND perks. We can't have our cake and eat it too.

This is a horrible time for ALL the cruiselines as ships are not sailing full.

I'm happy that I have my health, a job and am able to take a few cruises per year because the rates are sooooo low. The CL is not worth me getting all stressed out over. Life can be stressful enough. :eek:

I do once in awhile cruise on different lines but always come home to Royal again. :cool:

We shall see in the future if this change affects Royal in any way. It might and it might not.

Happy Cruising......:D

I came across this post & the letter written by WMCMRBIL. I have contacted RCCL 3 times in the last 8 days regarding a totally different issue - not the Diamond change. ===It was apparent that she did not even read my email. The response used must be "canned" because it had nothing to do with my inquiry. They don't even read the emails, just reply with jibberish. Sad, very sad.

This is very true, has happened to me the few times I have written them (other issues).

The reason given by RCL is overcrowding when we KNOW it's $$$.

Otherwise, why not just offer D' a couple of drinks at any lounge before dinner. Yeesh.

When we board in a few weeks time, I shall refuse to discuss the matter in the CL. Its a ship and there's no democracy on board. If people cause big trouble, they are errrr.....'requested' to leave the ship!! The decision is made - and until/if Corporate decide to change it, that's it - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!! Or the Lounge!!

I actually don't think RCCL will lose much Diamond business. In this economy, most people are looking at price anyway - I know many who are considering other lines just because of RCCL's prices and nothing to do with the loyalty programme.!

Great Attitude Sailer! Enjoy your cruise!:)

I believe Royal might loose some Diamonds however it is a big world out there and like they say in the business world "Everyone is replaceable" :eek::rolleyes::p

Those Diamonds that are jumping ship to other lines just might be back. The grass is not always greener on the other side. :cool:

Thank you for responding. Your answer has a different tenor about it than most, but I will not go into detail about that. However I do believe most here do care about RCL survival, although there are differences as to how they can best do that.

We became diamond by way of Celebrity cruises, but the two Royal Caribbean cruises we have taken, both TA's, have both been in Grand Suites. If we take another RC cruise it will probably also be in a suite.

Contrary to your experience we never had to wait in line for a drink. I simply walked to the bar at the overflow lounge and was promptly served. I did tip, but I don't know that that made a difference.

As many have said, a major part of the Concierge Lounge enjoyment is the opportunity to meet others. I would not want to limit those meetings to only D plus and suite cruisers, especially suite cruisers like myself. :D

You and I do agree that there are many travel opportunities other than RC cruising. In fact there are travel opportunities other than cruising. If you don't drink any one cruise line's kool-aid, how did you get to be "Celebrity Champion-President and Charter Member?" :D

Bob :cool:

I truly do understand this point. Many Diamonds use the lounge to meet other people. But, folks also make it sound like the loss of the lounge will in some way cut off this opportunity. On a ship with 3000 people there are opportunities all day long to meet people. My mother loves the Cafe Promenade. That is her social venue. She sits there with a coffee and strikes up conversations with people all the time. I've met folks just by saying something to them as I walk through the Logo shop. I've met folks just because they were on the chair next to me at the pool. Examples could go on an on.

Again, I understand that there are social aspects of this lounge and it isn't all about the drinks. But it isn't like the options are the CL or being confined to one's cabin and balcony. Social opportunities are available all over the ship any time of the day and night. Yes, a venue is being lost. But does that mean what was being obtained in that venue can't somehow be accomadated somewhere else on the ship? I ask that question in all seriousness as I have never been in a CL and may be missing something here. You also mention not wanting to limit these meeting opportunities to D Plus and suite passengers. Does that mean that platinum and gold members are not worth meeting? How about people on their first cruise with no C&A status?

Maybe if I had the opportunity in the past to experience the CL I would have a better perspective on this issue. I really am trying to understand it.

Great Attitude Sailer! Enjoy your cruise!:)

I believe Royal might loose some Diamonds however it is a big world out there and like they say in the business world "Everyone is replaceable" :eek::rolleyes::p

Those Diamonds that are jumping ship to other lines just might be back. The grass is not always greener on the other side. :cool:

Is that really what they say? I run a business and I've never said that, not even once.

I sent RCI an email and got the same canned response. I received an invite to participate in a survey and did so.

When it came to the comment section I told them how unhappy I was to lose a benefit that I earned the old fashioned way, one cruise at a time! I also let them know that I have cancelled my Oct Med cruise on the Brilliance and rebooked on CCL's new ship Dream. Even with the balc discount I still saved $1500.

On our first cruise as Diamond members on Serenade to Alaska we thoroughly enjoyed using the CL morning and evening. We met the same frequent cruisers each evening and chatted about our day before heading off to dinner. The CL in the morning was never crowded and the Concinerge was hardly there. As for evenings, the lounge moved to the Odyssey lounge on the Viking crown lounge deck. It too was never crowded. The Concinerge, or his assistant, was at the door each evening and we were required to show our key card at least for the first 3 evenings. After that he recognized us and didn't ask for the card. However, he did ask folks that were coming in for the first or second time.

At the most DH and I had two coktails before dinner each evening in the CL. After dinner,even if it was still open, we went to a show or the Scooner Bar and believe me we had a two page bill at the end of the cruise.

Figuring after dinner we would have maybe 2 drinks through the evening (not to mention wine with dinner) that $20 we saved in the CL has cost them much moe in revenue from us.

I was loyal to Royal until they were no longer loyal to me. And to add insult to injury, the food on the Serenade was abominable. Meals had to be sent back at leats 3 nights. Our friend ordered the standard steak and could not cut it with a steak knife. The new menus lack imagination and are very bland. Not up to RCI past standards. I have seen many cuts in service and value for our dollar since my first cruise in 86. Some are understandable some are not.

I would rather pay more and get more. The luxury lines mean a cruise every two yrs instead of 1 or 2 a year as I have been doing.

We'll see what happens on the Enchantment in 7 days!!

I also run my own business and have not said that however many companies out there do. :(

You have been very fortunate. Rare is the business owner or anyone who deals with the public who has never had to decide if a certain customer is worth the effort.

Archived