Canadian flying out of the U.S.

IndyKat

Okay, this might be a silly question, I am trying to find a fairly cheap flight to Miami for 3 in January 2010. I had read somewhere on CC boards that it is cheaper to drive to the States and get a flight out from there. Does anyone have the answer to this? I live between Ottawa & Toronto.

Thanks for any answers you can give me.

Kath:)

Hi,

I live in the "Detroit" metro area and on some of my flights to Fll, I met some people from Canada who were flying with me and they did drive to either the DTW or even the Flint airport. They did say that they were saving money by doing that. I guess you have to decide what the price advantage would be. Include in your calculation the price of parking as well.

Wes

You could drive to Buffalo, Detroit or I think there is an airport in upper N.Y. State but it depends on the weather conditions & your comfort level.

How much you save is another question you need to ask.

You will probably need a hotel before & after plus most US flights may have several connections.

I prefer just to pay a bit more & fly from Toronto non stop to Florida, but that is me;)

Some people will take the cheaper flights & not worry about travelling all day to get there

Okay, this might be a silly question, I am trying to find a fairly cheap flight to Miami for 3 in January 2010. I had read somewhere on CC boards that it is cheaper to drive to the States and get a flight out from there. Does anyone have the answer to this? I live between Ottawa & Toronto.

Flying out of Buffalo will save you some $$$. A few friends of mine always take this route, however keep in mind though the time of year you're planning on going away. I wouldn't even consider driving to Buffalo in the winter months b/c who the hec knows how the weather will be. Its been so unpredictable this past year, I just wouldn't want to chance it.

I prefer just to pay a bit more & fly from Toronto non stop to Florida, but that is me

me too!! But we did pay a pretty coin to fly to FLL in late Feb. It was crazy!!

Yes it is very often less expensive to drive across the border and flly from an American city to a US destination and it is something that is done on a regular basis. I am not sure how this will effect you but WestJet and Southwest Airlines are going to start code sharing latter this year.

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so fast.

I really didn't take in to consideration the "parking" and "hotel" for one thing. Also driving at that time of year with our crazy winter weather.:eek: What was I thinking!

I might just be looking in to a fall cruise, even then, driving through the States about 8 years ago we were hit with a freak blizzard.

I guess I really have some thinking to do.

BTW, what is "code sharing"? I really don't fly that much.

Thank you all once again for your replies.:)

Kath

We flew on www.sunwing.ca and we saved a few hundred dollars. It was also the beginning of January. It does not fly to Miami but to Fort Lauderdale. We had a service pick us up at the airport and take us to Miami. I would rather go from FLL than to Buffalo.

Sunwing does not fly every day so make certain that it will work for you. Remember that the weather in January can be dicey so arrive a day or two early.

This is a Canadian airline.

Fran

We flew on www.sunwing.ca and we saved a few hundred dollars. It was also the beginning of January. It does not fly to Miami but to Fort Lauderdale. We had a service pick us up at the airport and take us to Miami.

Thanks Fran, I have heard of them, but haven't yet done any search on this airline. When we headed out for our January cruise we had booked with the airline and it was the same day. Now that was a bit un-nerving! All went well though thankfully.:)

Kath

We're on the west coast, but the same idea applies. We always fly out of Seattle now, rather than Victoria (home), or even Vancouver. Flying to NY from Seattle saves us about $250 pp, and there's 3 of us, so that makes up for parking and travel costs. Last May we did a TA, so needed to fly to Miami, and then back from Rome. Out of Seattle ended up being $620 cheaper, again pp, compared to the absolute lowest rates in Canada. That was a no brainer for us - more spending money for the trip that way!

Many airport hotels have park and fly programs, so you pay for your room and get a week's worth of parking - bookend your trip with a room before and after, and that's 2 weeks of parking, and the rates for the room aren't exorbitant either.

Hi...out last 3 trips south have all been flown out of Detroit...flights are less $$ and the overall experience is less painful than flying out of Pearson (have you been to that airport lately)...however, based on your location, I wouldn't (too far to drive to Detroit likely)...Buffalo might be a better choice or somewhere out of upstate New York...when we go to Detroit, we get a room at a hotel that offers parking (usually 8 days), they give us breakfast and shuttle us to the terminal, and pick us up afterwards to retrive our car...all for around $110 USD plus tax...the other thing you should think about is luggage...some of the US airlines charge...that can change things for your cost as well....hope this helps

IndyCat, since you're "geographically challenged", the math may not add up in your favour for US flights.

I'm lucky - 90 minutes from Detroit Metro Airport (DTW). That includes border wait time and current road construction insanity.

However, before you eliminate Buffalo from your options, remember: your cheapest flight from a Canadian airport may still need an overnight stay. Is the cheap flight at a crazy time? What time do you need to check in? How far do you have to drive? How much time do you need to allow for possible storm conditions?

Also, please, PLEASE fly the day before your cruise, and stay over a night in the port city. Any of your departure cities are prone to weather delays or flight cancellations due to winter storms. Don't risk not being on the ship when it sails!

P.S. - here's a Wiki about code sharing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeshare_agreement

We've both flown from Detroit, and from London through Detroit. For the cost and time to drive to Detroit and park there, if it's not a lot more, I'd rather fly from home. But we are in the position that it's only a couple hours to drive to Detroit, Flint or Buffalo. I wouldn't bother if it was more time than that. Not sure where you are when you say you are between Toronto and Ottawa. But I suspect you will have a pretty long drive to get to any US airport. The one in upstate NY that people from Ottawa talk about is across the border from the end of the 416 south of the 401. Ogdensburg I think. People used to get really cheap fares from there, but it was on small commuter planes, and you had at least one connection to get to Florida. Not sure if they have the low fares or convenient flights there anymore. Plattsburgh NY which is about an hour south of Montreal also has some flights, and they bill themselves as "Montreals US Aiport".

Prices do drop and sometimes it makes it worthwhile to just fly from your home airport; especially when you factor in driving/parking/possible hotel. In October we'll be flying home from FLL after a Panama Cruise. I managed to snag a flight from FLL to Vancouver to $200 (including taxes). Deals are out there especially with the way the economy is.

For all who have kindly answered, I supposed being where I do live being "geographically challenged" LOL , I'm right smack in the middle between Toronto and Ottawa, 2 and a half hour drive either way and 1 hour north of the 401. So realistically it would take me at least 4+ hours to even reach the border from either way.

Yet another thing I didn't take in to consideration. Where is my brain sometimes!! :o It's looking like I will be taking a flight from up here in Canada. Yes, the Toronto airport is a ZOO, after just returning from there in January of this year.

I will still continue to search for a good flight up here, and hopefully something good will fall in to my lap. BTW, did you book your cruise first and then look for airfare later on, since I really wanted to go in January of next year as they have some really good deals right now.

Thank you all once again.

BTW, did you book your cruise first and then look for airfare later on, since I really wanted to go in January of next year as they have some really good deals right now.

Yes, we booked our cruise in June '08 and I booked our airfare at the end of January. I did not have the cruiseline book it. We don't fly home until the 10th of October.

For all who have kindly answered, I supposed being where I do live being "geographically challenged" LOL , I'm right smack in the middle between Toronto and Ottawa, 2 and a half hour drive either way and 1 hour north of the 401. So realistically it would take me at least 4+ hours to even reach the border from either way.

Yet another thing I didn't take in to consideration. Where is my brain sometimes!! :o It's looking like I will be taking a flight from up here in Canada. Yes, the Toronto airport is a ZOO, after just returning from there in January of this year.

I will still continue to search for a good flight up here, and hopefully something good will fall in to my lap. BTW, did you book your cruise first and then look for airfare later on, since I really wanted to go in January of next year as they have some really good deals right now.

Indykat, Air Canada and WestJest often have seat sales leaving from T.O &/or Ottawa so keep checking their websites. We've always booked our cruise first then searched for a flight. You'll also have the option of choosing a flight with your cruiseline directly. They make it very simple. You choose the gateway and they give you the flight options. We used Princess's flight choice in Feb and it couldn't have worked out better. If you work with a T.A they can also give you some options as well.

On another note, you'll find that charter flights (ie. sunwing/ skyservice etc don't really have flight times/dates that line up with cruises. You'll likely have to book a scheduled airline such above. If the cruise deal is great for Jan & you really want to go...don't pass it up. Book it now and look around for flights. You've go lots of time to play with. The airfares tend to go up one day/week and then back down sometimes even lower. Good luck!

P.s keep in mind that airfare is subject to change until paid in full.

We live in Barrie so it is about a 3 hour drive to Buffalo for a flight but it is so worth it. We are flying for $596 total for 4 people. We are parking at the airport and have a coupon so it will be less than $100. We have also did hotel park/sleep and fly.

Indykat, be sure to check flights into both Fort Lauderdale and Miami. One is usually less expensive than the other and it isn't that far between the two either.

You may feel more comfortable working with a reputable travel agent. If you don't fly often, have a friend recommend one to you. They'll do the leg work and make it an enjoyable experience as opposed to a stressful one.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm pretty sure now after all the info everyone have given me, that we will go ahead and book the cruise and figure out the airfare later on. I truly appreciate everyone helping me out here.

All the best and thanks once again.

Given your location, you sound closer to Syracuse, NY and JetBlue has very good rates and good service, out from there to Fort Lauderdale and you can easily get to Miami from there. Actually check to see if they also fly into Miami but Fort Lauderdale is usually cheaper.

We live in Ontario and it is far cheaper to fly out of syracuse or Buffalo. For instance to fly out of Toronto the 5 of us it would have been 8700$ yes you read right just airfare. Out of Buffalo it was 2100$ return all taxes and fees. I would ay that's a big savings. I use expedia Canada whenever I've booked my flights. good Luck. We flew March Break to Miami for freedom of nthe seas, I'm sure i twas a more expensive being March Break.

Agreed, I know many people from the Ottawa area that fly out of Syracuse. There are some great deals where you can stay over night in a hotel and leave your car there for a week or two.

While it is normally cheaper to fly out of the states, and I do it frequently from BLI 40 miles south of Vancouver, it's not always cheaper. That being said, check prices into MIA(Miami), FLL(Ft Lauderdale) and PBI(Palm Beach). AC and WS(Westjet) offer some pretty good specials now and then, and even sunwing (part of sunwing holidays) offer some good airfares. WS isn't in every reservation system, so make sure to check their website.

We are less than a 3 hr drive from Detroit and got tickets on NWA for $95 plus taxes ($136 total) for return flights to Miami in August. There are 5 of us so the savings from flying out of YYZ are considerable. We also booked a suite next to the airport with 9 nights parking for $120. Parking alone at the airport would have been $144. That will make the 6:30 am departure much easier.

Archived