Cruisers from the LEFT COAST of the USA- let's talk about our CRUISES..

cctn

Friends from our very 1st Cruise in 2002, did 2 or 3 Tahiti Cruises and I have always thought of doing one. I think what deters us is the long flight over and back. Now unless we could manage that 30 day Australia on Princess, back to Los Angelas, that would take care of the long flight back.

Gay

30-day cruise! that's pretty long but I know if you are having fun, it'll be ok -- I am still in awe of the folks who did the 46-day Cape cruise on the Mariner from Jan to Feb. carol

Hi Everyone! What a great thread! My DH and I have taken 2 cruises (we got a late start, but are loving it!) Both to Alaska, one leaving from Vancouver and one from Seattle, just a 20 minute drive from our house! This September we will be doing the Panama Canal on the Infinity and good news, we leave from Seattle!!! We end up in Ft. Lauderdale and are staying there for a day. I'm really not looking forward to that cross country flight -been there, done that - NOT fun. But we just have to fly one way. The best part is not having to worry about the flight being on time to make the ship, I have heard many, many stories. I don't care if the flight is delayed, I'm just going home!

We would sure love more cruises out of Seattle besides Alaska. Its beautiful there, but we need a change sometimes!

Happy cruising all

Melody:D

Hi Melody:

Welcome to this thread! Please tell me about the Infinity when you sail on her to the PC - she has an AK itnry for 2010 that starts in SF that I may be interested in-

It would be nice if there were more cruises that go out of Seattle instead of those that go to AK all the time for you - just as I am also wishing that more sailings go out of SF -

I really hate flying -

Come in often and join all the discussion here re: our favorite subject - Cruises!! Carol

You are a left coast cruiser who will cruise on the left coast soon! bottom left coast - I know you will have fun cuz the Mariner is a beautiful ship - enjoy your activities and hope you win on the slot pull - will you be driving Glenda?

carol

From your lips.........and yes, we are driving down. We'll leave early Sat the 25th, then we are staying at the DoubleTree in SP. You know Kathy & Mel (Dickens56) from Modesto and, along with some of their friends Jackie & Tony (Zebra) from Tampa, are all getting together and having dinner somewhere close. Do you know of any seafood places nearby the marina?

Hi Carol!

We were on the Millennium this past September for 14 days, Vancouver to San Diego. What a FANTASTIC cruise. Ports of call were Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, hubbard glacier, WOW!!! Sitka, from there we went to Seattle, San Francisco, nothing like sailing under the golden gate!! Catalina Island and then San Diego. ( I think I got them all) This was a repo cruise and we would love to do this again someday. I would have loved to stay on to do a b2b2b. From San Diego, Millennium went to Hawaii then on to New Zealand/Australia! But back to the real world, I DO still work, and don't have that much time, besides it would have been getting to close to the holidays and no way I could get time off then.

Can't wait to do the Panama Canal, we know the ship, because we have been on Millennium, the Infinity's sister ship, we just hope the service is as good!

Happy cruising

Hi Carol!

We were on the Millennium this past September for 14 days, Vancouver to San Diego. What a FANTASTIC cruise. Ports of call were Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, hubbard glacier, WOW!!! Sitka, from there we went to Seattle, San Francisco, nothing like sailing under the golden gate!! Catalina Island and then San Diego. ( I think I got them all) This was a repo cruise and we would love to do this again someday. I would have loved to stay on to do a b2b2b. From San Diego, Millennium went to Hawaii then on to New Zealand/Australia! But back to the real world, I DO still work, and don't have that much time, besides it would have been getting to close to the holidays and no way I could get time off then.

Can't wait to do the Panama Canal, we know the ship, because we have been on Millennium, the Infinity's sister ship, we just hope the service is as good!

Happy cruising

We did Alaska May 2008 - we sailed from SF - and yes, going under the Golden Gate is breathtaking - then got ocean motion sickness cuz of going north on the CA coast - but when we got to Astoria Oregon, I was fine - our other stops were Seattle/Ketchikan/Juneau/Skagway/Icy Strait/Hubbard Glacier/Sitka/Victoria - then we flew home from Vancouver - it was a 14 day sailing on RCCL's Serenade of the Seas.... the Millennium was right beside us those days except she was SF to SF that month.

I also love Catalina Is and especially San Diego...

When hubby retires, hopefully we can do some B2B's -

Carol

The one I left out (knew there would be one) was Icy Strait Point. Its a very small town. We saw whales and hundreds of starfish right near the tender dock. Not the whales lol the starfish!! They also have the longest zip line in the world, it ends almost on the beach!

Happy cruising

I've been on both, Infinity first in 2006 and on Millie last June in Alaska. I love Celebrity's M-class ships! I hope one day to experience Summit and Connie, too! ;)

From your lips.........and yes, we are driving down. We'll leave early Sat the 25th, then we are staying at the DoubleTree in SP. You know Kathy & Mel (Dickens56) from Modesto and, along with some of their friends Jackie & Tony (Zebra) from Tampa, are all getting together and having dinner somewhere close. Do you know of any seafood places nearby the marina?

Hopefully they can join this thread or the CA one...

there are lots of eating places along the water in San Pedro - Roudy1 set us up for Mexican food at the Acapulco -

but there's one further down that you can buy seafood and eat outdoorsy style - we did about 10 yrs ago so it's hard for me to remember - and don't know the name. I am sure if you google San Pedro eateries, there will be suggestions.

Laura of AZ Laura stayed at the DT and she liked it -

I am so excited anticipating YOUR cruise!! Carol

Hey Carol

I know what you mean when you say you got sick on the coast, it can be pretty rough in the fall. On our cruise, we had a sea day between Seattle and San Francisco and we had 18 ft. seas. Let me tell you I was NOT doing to well, I had the patch, and also took some bonine I got from pursers desk - it just knocked me out - not a bad thing, I slept most of the day.

I am a little worried about this September, between Seattle and San Diego, its the same time of year!! I think I'll try the wrist bands this time. I really don't want to sleep through ANY of my cruise:eek:

Melody

Hey Carol

I know what you mean when you say you got sick on the coast, it can be pretty rough in the fall. On our cruise, we had a sea day between Seattle and San Francisco and we had 18 ft. seas. Let me tell you I was NOT doing to well, I had the patch, and also took some bonine I got from pursers desk - it just knocked me out - not a bad thing, I slept most of the day.

I am a little worried about this September, between Seattle and San Diego, its the same time of year!! I think I'll try the wrist bands this time. I really don't want to sleep through ANY of my cruise:eek:

Melody

We've been cruising for 21 yrs now and I normally get sick so I also take Bonine -- however, on our Mar 15 cruise on the Explorer from NJ to the Caribbean, I also took daily

ginger capsules!! IT worked! I didn't get sick during the last two days - everyone else did but not MOI!! I was so proud of myself - I was sick during the same route 1-1/2 yrs ago so I anticipated the rough waters and sure enough, my ginger capsules worked - another gal took them too, along with the Bonine and she and I were fine! So, try them - hope they help. Also, ask the bartender to make you a drink of ginger ale and bitters ... that also helps.

Carol

That's cuz you already know what I'm going to be finding out, since you just did the same trip! :p;):D My turn, my turn!!! :cool::D

It's because I KNOW YOU -- and I know you will have fun!

carol

Found you! I know Carol and Gay already, my DH Carl and I live in Escalon which is not quite 2 hours in either direction to San Francisco or Yosemite and about an hour under Sacramento.

I saw that you guys were talking about Tahiti. My dad used to own his own catamaran and has sailed down in the South Pacific several times. I just wished I could have joined him on a trip or two. He, also, used to try to get us to fly to Puerto Vallarta so that he could pick us up and have us hang out on the boat as he cruised up and down the Mexican Riviera coast line. Had too many kids at home for that back then!

I'm getting ready to leave in 3 weeks on a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Mariner from San Pedro. We have a great rollcall going. We are doing a Poker Cabin Crawl and a Slot Pull Tournament. Sounds like fun!

Gotta go fix dinner now, ugh! :)

Quite a few of us stayed at the Doubletree. It was a nice way to lure us in with those warm choc chip cookies they gave us when we checked in. The grounds are very nice. Good close parking. We left our vehicle there during the cruise.

There was a seafood place we ate at around the corner of the Doubletree by the Marina..22nd Street Landing.. I thought it was a nice place to have dinner.

Curt Jerome Wild's thread on San Pedro and the Doubletree. We went up to Angel's Gate Park and did some sight seeing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

Acapulco on Saturday afternoon, sit in the bar area facing the back of the restaurant to watch sailaways at 4pm.

Those activities were so much fun. On our slot pull we put in 20.00 and walked away with 11.00. It was fun watching everyone take their turn in anticipation for a big win that did not materialize.:(

Have a wonderful time.

Laura

I live in Escalon which is not quite 2 hours in either direction to San Francisco or Yosemite and about an hour under Sacramento.

Sounds like the middle of nowhere! ;) Greetings from Manteca, Glenda. :D

Despite the climate and long distances (oh, and the most expensive place we've been to) I would sure try Tahiti if you can. Scenery like no where else. Here's some photos. I have a feeling that's why people like Alaska. Just out of this world.... but will have to wait until June to learn if that's true. :cool: Have a great Sunday everyone!

Good morning all Coasters,, Frankie we live in Palm Springs, Ca, we have yet to do Alaska and guess we better get on the band wagon here. I saw the itnerary of the Pacific Coastal and liked it so there is another one to consider. We have a Cruise in Spring of 2011 so trying to get another one lined up also.

Gay

Despite the climate and long distances (oh, and the most expensive place we've been to) I would sure try Tahiti if you can. Scenery like no where else. Here's some photos. I have a feeling that's why people like Alaska. Just out of this world.... but will have to wait until June to learn if that's true. :cool: Have a great Sunday everyone!

Those flowers were beautiful.

Is it always humid in Tahiti or is there a better time of the yr to go?

Good morning. I have been up since 0630 but lazy. I get up at 0500 for work so I am use to being an early riser. I have been known to get up and have my house all clean, floors done etc by 0800.

Carol we were lucky on our Mariner cruise to MR. The seas were so calm both ways. On my dght's recent Mariner cruise it was rocky first and last night. She did come home ill though with upper respiratory and had to see the dr on Monday. Remember quite a few ill on our Roll Call when they got back too from our cruise in Feb. We did follow the Around the Horn group who had I heard up to 70 people with pneumonia.

Hope eveyone has nice plans today.

Laura

Laura my husband & I will be on the Mariner soon and it will be our first Voyager Class. our previous Cruises have been on the Radiance Class. We did an 11 night E Caribbean on the Brilliance and this past Oct, on the Radiance of the Seas to Hawaii. Beautiful ships.

Gay

wow!! I can tell - Frank is an early bird!

I usually wake up at 5 am and get hubby's lunch ready for work - then I go back to sleep at 7am then, who knows! 10am--maybe!! til I wake up again! but on Sundays we go to church early and I was up at 6 am -

and checking CC NOW... ha!ha!

I used to post on Curt Jerome's thread - til it got so long - he's cute tho' and once in while I'll go in and say hi.

Tahiti - one of my friends went about 5 yrs ago and they loved it - I know it's expensive and hot - will put it on my list - after Australia and New Zealand -

Alaska is just beautiful - the scenery is breathtaking especially going thru the inside passage - the ship goes slow and since we were on the Serenade and up on the Viking Crown area, we enjoyed the view so much!

The first time we went, I was in awe; 2nd time, even more impressed - I want to make myself really excited again by going the 3rd time. When? working on it...

carol

I've been thinking about branching out to other cruise lines. The RC ships sound so nice! We're stuck in a bit of a Princess rut, but they do offer quite a bit of variety, and the low deposit for return cruisers keeps us coming back.

Alaska is a screamin' deal for left coasters right now. I figure for 2, you can do a week for $1300 ($450 pp for a Seattle 7 day, and $400 for Southwest to Seattle). Heck of a deal.

Thanks, Laura. Oddly, the flowers are really reasonable in Tahiti - the only thing that is. Tahiti's temps and humidity are about the same all year (info). It's however much drier in the our Summer. That's a good thing, since my DW is a kindergarten teacher, and so most of our traveling is June or July.

Manteca ? that's not too far - we are having a lunch on May 30 for CA Cruisers - Tracy - Texas Roadhouse - noon... we will be there - as well as neighbor Glenda from Escalon!

carol

Manteca ? that's not too far - we are having a lunch on May 30 for CA Cruisers - Tracy - Texas Roadhouse - noon... we will be there - as well as neighbor Glenda from Escalon!

Not far at all. If Glenda can come "all the way from" Escalon, we can do it too. Sounds like fun! Thanks!

- DW is off for Spring break next week. Says she's going to catch up on the "California cruisers" thread. :)

Not far at all. If Glenda can come "all the way from" Escalon, we can do it too. Sounds like fun! Thanks!

- DW is off for Spring break next week. Says she's going to catch up on the "California cruisers" thread. :)

You and DW are most welcome to attend! we will have folks from Clovis, Palo Alto too - carol

Hi Carol, Gay, Frank, Glenda, Laura, Melody, and anyone else I might have missed. I'm a rookie at cruising however, Gay, Carol, and the rest of the Cruisers from California are bringing me up to speed. They're the greatest Mentors!!!!!!!

Chris

Archived