Cruisers from the LEFT COAST of the USA- let's talk about our CRUISES..

cctn

Hello Chris and welcome to a wonderful Thread Carol started for all our Left Coasters. Carol I wish Tracy wasn't so far away or we would join you all for lunch. Hopefully something soon will come up in the area and we will be there.

Gay

I second Gay's comment..wish the lunch was closer to So. Cal.:mad: Someday, we'll have to split the difference an get together, have fun!:D

Chris

Quite a few of us stayed at the Doubletree. It was a nice way to lure us in with those warm choc chip cookies they gave us when we checked in. The grounds are very nice. Good close parking. We left our vehicle there during the cruise.

There was a seafood place we ate at around the corner of the Doubletree by the Marina..22nd Street Landing.. I thought it was a nice place to have dinner.

Curt Jerome Wild's thread on San Pedro and the Doubletree. We went up to Angel's Gate Park and did some sight seeing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

Acapulco on Saturday afternoon, sit in the bar area facing the back of the restaurant to watch sailaways at 4pm.

Those activities were so much fun. On our slot pull we put in 20.00 and walked away with 11.00. It was fun watching everyone take their turn in anticipation for a big win that did not materialize.:(

Have a wonderful time.

Laura

Yeah, I think another big group from our rollcall is going to 22nd Street Landing but we decided to keep this dinner small so I'll look on the SP site and see what I can find, thanks! ;)

And, I know Curt well, he's the one that convinced me to stay at the DT.:D Thanks for the heads up at the Acapulco for sailaways. That sounds fun!

Can I ask, did you pay for the Park and Cruise Pkg. or did you just leave your car there? I've heard it done both ways but knowing somebody that stayed recently would mean more. Thanks! :)

We didn't do these type of activities with my last rollcall so I'm looking forward to participate in these. :p

Sounds like the middle of nowhere! ;) Greetings from Manteca, Glenda. :D

Despite the climate and long distances (oh, and the most expensive place we've been to) I would sure try Tahiti if you can. Scenery like no where else. Here's some photos. I have a feeling that's why people like Alaska. Just out of this world.... but will have to wait until June to learn if that's true. :cool: Have a great Sunday everyone!

Yep, you're right, we're out in the middle of nowhere.......and that's where we like it..........lol! Howdy, neighbor! :p

You will love Alaska! We were there last year in June and absolutely fell in love with the place. Of course it doesn't hurt that my hubby's mother's side is Aleut Indian from Kodiak Island. We didn't get there last time but we plan on spending some time up there our next trip. We did the 12 nt crusietour on the Millennium which started out in Fairbanks. It included the Wilderness Train down to Denali, then down to Talkeetna, then went by motorcoach to Anchorage and then to Seward where we boarded. It was fantastic!!! The cruise was fantastic, as well! We had an aft CC cabin and now I am a m-class aft balcony snob!

There are some Manteca people on my rollcall for the Mariner in 3 weeks. Haven't talked to them yet though, they haven't been active on our thread. Will hopefully meet them at the Meet & Greet. :)

Hi Carol, Gay, Frank, Glenda, Laura, Melody, and anyone else I might have missed. I'm a rookie at cruising however, Gay, Carol, and the rest of the Cruisers from California are bringing me up to speed. They're the greatest Mentors!!!!!!!

Chris

Hi Chris! You found Carol's new thread!

I second Gay's comment..wish the lunch was closer to So. Cal.:mad: Someday, we'll have to split the difference an get together, have fun!:D

Chris

You can also try to get together in So-Cal... that would be fun too - carol

Hi Chris! You found Carol's new thread!

Glenda...Carol's sneaky, she can run but she can' hide:D Glad to see there's other LCC sharing their cruise experiences. I'm learning, better late than never. :eek:

Chris

Glenda...Carol's sneaky, she can run but she can' hide:D Glad to see there's other LCC sharing their cruise experiences. I'm learning, better late than never. :eek:

Chris

The left coast runs from way up Canada to Wa,Or,CA and down to Baja -

there's a lot of cruisers who can share their experiences and rituals out there - hope they all find us too!! Carol

Yeah, I think another big group from our rollcall is going to 22nd Street Landing but we decided to keep this dinner small so I'll look on the SP site and see what I can find, thanks! ;)

And, I know Curt well, he's the one that convinced me to stay at the DT.:D Thanks for the heads up at the Acapulco for sailaways. That sounds fun!

Can I ask, did you pay for the Park and Cruise Pkg. or did you just leave your car there? I've heard it done both ways but knowing somebody that stayed recently would mean more. Thanks! :)

We didn't do these type of activities with my last rollcall so I'm looking forward to participate in these. :p

We booked Park and Cruise 179.00 per night. However I kept calling the hotel itself, not general reservations, and I told them others in the group were paying less. Well I landed up with a no view room (no problem I was going on a cruise in 2 days) and 2 free breakfasts, free bottle of champagne and the cruise parking included for 139.00 per night. Our friends landed up with $149 no view room (same amenities) who called right after me that day. The gals at the front desk told me it can change at any time. Be careful though. We booked 2 nights and they only gave us tickets for 2 free breakfasts. I had to ask for the other 2 free tickets. Found out so did everyone else and some never thought to ask. We did like the Doubletree. So easy for parking.

I did not want to risk my car being towed. I gave them our license number before we left. I don't know how well they watch it but we were comfortable.

One other recommendation. Our cruise left Sunday. We were allowed to sign up for shuttles at 6am Saturday. We wanted to leave at 1030. Only so many spaces per shuttle van. I called at 6am and were first on the list. No cost for shuttle. We did tip of course. When we got back into port the following Sunday and got off the ship we called the DT and there was a shuttle there in 10 minutes that took us back to the hotel. We did sign up for Hilton Honors online and got points for any Hilton stays the previous 90 days. Don't know if will ever benefit us but does not hurt anything.

I would love to go through that experience all over again. Oh wait I am in 2011!:)

Had the wonderful opportunity to meet Corkey Carol. Did not get to talk very much. :( I was on pain meds for a torn meniscus and it was difficult but would not have missed my Roll Call posters and the cruise for anything.

Laura

Laura, we were fortunate on our Hawaii Cruise, one of the couples, set up a group rate at one of the San Diego Hotels, for $ 130 + tax, going rate was $180+. We got the first shuttle out to the terminal for the #30 of us. Some wanted to be across from the Cruise terminal, so they could see the Radiance come in. Rest of us figured we were going to be seeing her for 15 days so opted for the cheaper rate. :D

Gay

We booked Park and Cruise 179.00 per night. However I kept calling the hotel itself, not general reservations, and I told them others in the group were paying less. Well I landed up with a no view room (no problem I was going on a cruise in 2 days) and 2 free breakfasts, free bottle of champagne and the cruise parking included for 139.00 per night. Our friends landed up with $149 no view room (same amenities) who called right after me that day. The gals at the front desk told me it can change at any time. Be careful though. We booked 2 nights and they only gave us tickets for 2 free breakfasts. I had to ask for the other 2 free tickets. Found out so did everyone else and some never thought to ask. We did like the Doubletree. So easy for parking.

I did not want to risk my car being towed. I gave them our license number before we left. I don't know how well they watch it but we were comfortable.

One other recommendation. Our cruise left Sunday. We were allowed to sign up for shuttles at 6am Saturday. We wanted to leave at 1030. Only so many spaces per shuttle van. I called at 6am and were first on the list. No cost for shuttle. We did tip of course. When we got back into port the following Sunday and got off the ship we called the DT and there was a shuttle there in 10 minutes that took us back to the hotel. We did sign up for Hilton Honors online and got points for any Hilton stays the previous 90 days. Don't know if will ever benefit us but does not hurt anything.

I would love to go through that experience all over again. Oh wait I am in 2011!:)

Had the wonderful opportunity to meet Corkey Carol. Did not get to talk very much. :( I was on pain meds for a torn meniscus and it was difficult but would not have missed my Roll Call posters and the cruise for anything.

Laura

Thanks for the heads up about calling the DT directly. I'll have to give that a try! So, do you mean that I can call and reserve the shuttle for Sunday morning on the Saturday morning before leaving our house to drive down? Or were you able to do this because you were there the night before, too?

There are some Manteca people on my rollcall for the Mariner in 3 weeks. Haven't talked to them yet though, they haven't been active on our thread. Will hopefully meet them at the Meet & Greet. :)

More Mantecans? It would be interesting to know how many US members are on Cruise Critic. Then you could figure how likely it is to meet another CC member on the street. :cool: As some may know "manteca" is Spanish for lard. Odd name, eh?

Thanks for your comments on Alaska, Glenda. I have a feeling we're really going to be blow away. :D Every now and then you see a photo that gives some sense of scale, and it's just amazing. Do you have a special tips for Kodiak?

Hi everyone, Carol did you notice we are on page 4 already and # 66 Posts, wow this board is rockin, oops maybe that wasn't a good choice in words. :D. We keep slipping back to that Rocking word don't we. have a great week all, Today getting a AC Control panel put in my Intrepid, got a good price with the labor. so be back in a bit.

Gay

Hi everyone, Carol did you notice we are on page 4 already and # 66 Posts, wow this board is rockin, oops maybe that wasn't a good choice in words. :D. We keep slipping back to that Rocking word don't we. have a great week all, Today getting a AC Control panel put in my Intrepid, got a good price with the labor. so be back in a bit.

Gay

WEll, we can always say we are the Rockin' Left Coasters on this thread!!

I hope more left coast cruisers will come in and yak with us - we have a huge territory to cover -

carol

Carol I like the Rockin Left Coasters, always have. Maybe for the 2011 Cruise.

Gay

I think we already named that group Left Coast Cruisers - maybe the Rockin Left Coasters can be the name for THIS THREAD... hopefully. Carol

--and to you too Linda - when is your next cruise! ?

carol

Ok - I saw it !! Mariner again - love that ship! love them all - I just can't get over that promenade tho' - the length - the shops along the side - the CAFE with 24 hr food!! Carol

Thanks for the heads up about calling the DT directly. I'll have to give that a try! So, do you mean that I can call and reserve the shuttle for Sunday morning on the Saturday morning before leaving our house to drive down? Or were you able to do this because you were there the night before, too?

Hi Glenda.

I would try, nothing to lose. They did take my room number. If you know someone else at the hotel that will be there already you can have them sign you up with them. I signed up the other couples with us when I called. For me I just like being one of the first group on the ship when it is empty. Of course the Diamond cruisers went ahead of me but I got in line right behind them at the terminal.:)

Doubletree had several vans that left right around the same time for the pier Sunday morning. And again when we left for the cruise I made sure they had my license plate and they did say they had security that checks the grounds.

So I get to meet you in 2011. Great. This Mariner cruise was the first time for me I met anyone from CC on a cruise. Of course our Az Cruisers thread has 2 get togethers a yr and now we are going to start East and West side lunches ..so one every other month.

We are trying to get Linda (Diamond Cruisers in Arizona)to go on the Radiance with us all Sept 30th. There are quite a few Az Cruisers going.

Gay Tempe is very close to us. Yuma only get to on the way to Ca. Flagstaff of course much cooler up there in the mountains.

Hi Carol and to all our other posters!

Laura

Archived