Has anyone done carry-on for a 4 day cruise?

jan15

We are going on the Elation in May for a 4 day cruise. Flying from Tampa to San Diego we have to change planes and I am concerned about lost luggage. My DH and I are considering each taking a carry-on suitcase so we won't have to check bags. Any opinions.

We are going on the Elation in May for a 4 day cruise. Flying from Tampa to San Diego we have to change planes and I am concerned about lost luggage. My DH and I are considering each taking a carry-on suitcase so we won't have to check bags. Any opinions.

Yes...I did a carry on (and a tote bag) for 9 days when I did a back to back on the Destiny. I used the free laundry service once and packed several mix and match type things for dinner.

Yes...I did a carry on (and a tote bag) for 9 days when I did a back to back on the Destiny. I used the free laundry service once and packed several mix and match type things for dinner.

And that still blows my mind. I'm trying to go smaller for October, but still don't think I can get it down to just a carry on. You are my inspiration.:p:D

A friend and I went on a week long cruise with each a carry-on and a small back-pack type purse. So much easier! Now I will be trying to do the same for a B2B (14 days) this summer with my husband and son...:):):)

DH & I each do a carry on each and one duffel for things like shoes. I learned a LONG time ago that overpacking is a pain in my azz. We just did a week in Germany (with winter clothes) with the same arrangement. Learning to mix and match really helps. Oh, that, and understanding that I do not in fact, need to have a pair of shoes per outfit has allowed me to carry only what I need. Another hint that has served me well in learning to stop overpacking is to pack the night before. That way, I don't spend months and months what-iffing and end up taking 7 suitcases of "just in case" crap that I will never use. Just my $.02.

And that still blows my mind. I'm trying to go smaller for October, but still don't think I can get it down to just a carry on. You are my inspiration.:p:D

Awww Steph, how nice to know I can be an inspiration. :p I wasn't sure I could do it either for 9 days but I made it work. What helped was the number of beach days combined with sea days. Those were swimsuit days for me and swimsuits take up very little space. Here's my basic list I posted on the fashion board for pretty much any cruise longer than 3 days:

3 pairs black slacks (dining room atire)

various casual tops to wear with the black slacks

2 dressier tops to wear with the black slacks on elegant nights

1 reversible outfit (took care of 2 nights in the dining room)

3 skorts w/tanks or tees (for port days)

2 pairs shorts (1 black...1 tan - easy colors to mix & match tanks or tees)

3 swimsuits w/sarongs-cover ups (for sea days and beach port days such as HMC & Grand Turk)

1 pair dressy black strappy sandals

1 pair flip flops

1 pair flat casual sandals

unmentionables were packed in spacesaver bags because I always take extras

The slacks and tops for the evening are usually some type of lightweight (somewhat slinky) fabric that doesn't wrinkle no matter how tightly I roll it and that type of fabric takes up very little space.

I used either 2 or 3 oz bottles for lotion, facial moisturizer, conditioner, mouthwash for the flight. I don't use liquid make up (use mineral powder) so thats one less liquid to pack. I take individually wrapped make up remover cloths and I saturate cotton cosmetic squares with toner and put those in a small ziploc bags (actually the tiny pill bags) so that's also less liquid to take.

Since sneakers take up so much space I wear those for the flight.

Awww Steph, how nice to know I can be an inspiration. :p I wasn't sure I could do it either for 9 days but I made it work. What helped was the number of beach days combined with sea days. Those were swimsuit days for me and swimsuits take up very little space. Here's my basic list I posted on the fashion board for pretty much any cruise longer than 3 days:

3 pairs black slacks (dining room atire)

various casual tops to wear with the black slacks

2 dressier tops to wear with the black slacks on elegant nights

3 skorts w/tanks or tees (for port days)

2 pairs shorts (1 black...1 tan - easy colors to mix & match tanks or tees)

3 swimsuits w/sarongs-cover ups (for sea days and beach port days such as HMC & Grand Turk)

1 pair dressy black strappy sandals

1 pair flip flops

1 pair flat casual sandals

unmentionables were packed in spacesaver bags because I always take extras

The slacks and tops for the evening are usually some type of lightweight (somewhat slinky) fabric that doesn't wrinkle no matter how tightly I roll it and that type of fabric takes up very little space.

I used either 2 or 3 oz bottles for lotion, facial moisturizer, conditioner, mouthwash for the flight. I don't use liquid make up (use mineral powder) so thats one less liquid to pack. I take individually wrapped make up remover cloths and I saturate cotton cosmetic squares with toner and put those in a small ziploc bags (actually the tiny pill bags) so that's also less liquid to take.

Since sneakers take up so much space I wear those for the flight.

.....where did the smuggled alcohol go?

:confused:

wasiii

I would be alot more concerned with flight delays in an "across the country" flight than lost luggage, but just my opinion. In all my many, many flights, only once has our luggage been delayed. That being said, I have endured endless flight delays even though I fly nothing but direct flights (unless a direct is not available).

Of course, I always buy insurance to reimburse for lost luggage anyway.

I say, let someone else carry it, I'm on vacation. However, I don't seem to get caught up in all the endless worrying that others post that they worry about. That's what planning is for.

To each their own.

If you are talking about carry on for the airplane, then remember that some things, like cologne or tooth paste can't go in your carry on bags.

Good point, that will certainly limit alot of items one might want each day onboard.

If you are talking about carry on for the airplane, then remember that some things, like cologne or tooth paste can't go in your carry on bags.

Ah yes, good point. We always leave the stuff like that at home. We stop at the nearest Wal-Mart or drug store for things like shampoo, buying the cheap stuff so that we can just ditch it when we leave and are only out about 5 bucks or so. WAYYYY better than packing 10 thousand different hair and body products, which, as you pointed out, cannot be carried on :eek:

Where does one find a "reversible outfit"? That could come in handy.

We went on a 5 day cruise a couple of years ago with another couple and they each only took a carry-on, and not a very big one either. I don't know how she did it. I never saw her in the same thing twice. I told her she must have gotten that suitcase and the same place clowns get their cars...it didn't look very big but it sure did seem to hold a lot. I would say how much luggage my husband I and take, but it's too embarrassing.

.....where did the smuggled alcohol go?:confused:

wasiii

Smuggle??? What's that??? :D

Where does one find a "reversible outfit"? That could come in handy.

Got it on ebay. I did a search on "reversible" and quite a few items were available. I'm hoping to find a few more outfits before my next cruise.

Do It! Roll your stuff up and pack lightly. We did 6 people for 8 days once with just carry on. Of course it was Disney so no need for dressy but you will certainly be able to throw what you need in a carry on. Enjoy!

Just off the Elation last week. Since the evening dress code has relaxed it is very easy to do a carry on. DD15 had the largest case at 20", mine is about 18" and my mom packed in a rolling backpack. Mom's backpack weighed a total of 13 pounds:eek:.

We use spacebags for the clothes and use small sizes of our lotions and potions. I had our emergency kit packed in my bag. Limited the shoes, though, I brought three pair- sneakers, sandals and ballet flats. Mix and match seperates get packed, 'outfits' do not. (I've travelled with gals who bring pants and the matching shirt and jacket for each day, this is not the way to go.) Some items do get worn several times. We only went on the 3day cruise but we all had clothes that we did not end up wearing. Probably could have done a seven day with what we had.

Wear your bulkiest clothes on the plane.

wasii- the smuggled alcohol was in our first aid kit:rolleyes:. Airline sized bottles of peppermint schnapps and kirschwasser for the hot chocolate.

For the three day I brought-

4 T shirts

3 shirts/blouses for evening

1 jean

1 capri

1 nice black sweats

1 black travelers pants

1 black jacket

1 black/white 'formal' button overshirt

plus underwear, socks and nightwear.

My foundation colors are black/white. I bring mainly solid black/white/fuschia tops.

.....where did the smuggled alcohol go?

:confused:

wasiii

And that is why I will never be able to do just a carryon! ;)

We're hoping to go pretty light for our 4 day next week, though. DH and I did a 4 day 2 years ago with just one large checked bag and one carryon. We have free laundry now, and the 3 year old's clothes won't take up that much space!

I saved a lot of room in my carry-on by throwing out my formal dress and putting in a pair of black palazzo pants and a couple of Pashmina shawls. On formal night, I wore the camisole style top of my fancy tankini bathing suit with my palazzo pants and covered it up with a matching Pashmina shawl. I did this for the first time on my last cruise and will do it again because it worked out so well.

This is our first big "cruise" but we did go to China for 20 days with carry on only! We did a 5 day river cruise while we were there. We had a blast and were very glad we went carry on only. I mostly took sun dress's , easy to pack!:p

Not only have we done a rollaway carry-on for a 4 night cruise, but we've also done it for a 7 night cruise!!

Yes, it CAN be done! In addition to not having to haul all the extra luggage around, the cabin stays MUCH more organized and clean since there's no unecessary, extra clutter!

Archived