Has anyone done carry-on for a 4 day cruise?

jan15

I did a 4-day RCI cruise with just a carry-on! It was a challenge, but I was determined. On the way home, I did check the carry-on...just got tired of rolling it around.

Very true...the cabin did stay very neat and tidy. Also, true...no alcohol to bring home...no room!!!! :p

We did a night day cruise from Miami in January (travelling from Colorado) with 2 days prior in South beach with carry on and backpack. We also did 11 nights in Italy with carry ons - I admit that I amazed even myself with that accomplishment.

!

i saved a lot of room in my carry-on by throwing out my formal dress and putting in a pair of black palazzo pants and a couple of pashmina shawls. On formal night, i wore the camisole style top of my fancy tankini bathing suit with my palazzo pants and covered it up with a matching pashmina shawl. I did this for the first time on my last cruise and will do it again because it worked out so well.

ingenious!!!!!!!

I'm known to always overpack so the goal for my upcoming 4 nighter with 2 nights in South Beach is to only take a carry on so wish me luck. My question...if you can't get into your room as soon as you board, how convenient / troublesome is it to drag the suitcase until you gain access?

My question...if you can't get into your room as soon as you board, how convenient / troublesome is it to drag the suitcase until you gain access?

For me the purpose of having just a carry on is for the flight. I give my luggage to the porters once I get to the ship. My luggage ended up at a different destination once (fortunately on my return flight) so I just feel better having my luggage with me.

For me the purpose of having just a carry on is for the flight. I give my luggage to the porters once I get to the ship. My luggage ended up at a different destination once (fortunately on my return flight) so I just feel better having my luggage with me.

Duh me....didn't think that one through:o...thanks for the reply.

I do it for every cruise I've ever been on including 7 day & I always change into formal or cocktail attire for dinner. remember that almost any toiletries can be found in sample or carry-on sizes. Yopu can also buy arry-on size bottles to put your stuff into.

Yep, with an additional night in Miami pre-cruise. (This was before we lived in FL...) Good thing, too, as we had to be de-iced on the runway in NH 3 times, missed our connecting flight (but our luggage wouldn't have if we had checked it...) and had to do an "OJ-thru-the-airport" in Atlanta to make the next flight.

Shoes probably take up the most space... if you can whittle those down to just a few, it really helps. That, and a bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser!!!!

DH & I each do a carry on each and one duffel for things like shoes. I learned a LONG time ago that overpacking is a pain in my azz. We just did a week in Germany (with winter clothes) with the same arrangement. Learning to mix and match really helps. Oh, that, and understanding that I do not in fact, need to have a pair of shoes per outfit has allowed me to carry only what I need. Another hint that has served me well in learning to stop overpacking is to pack the night before. That way, I don't spend months and months what-iffing and end up taking 7 suitcases of "just in case" crap that I will never use. Just my $.02.

OK.... You have scared me now. I am headed on my first cruise and have been packed for two weeks with one lg check bag and one carry on. Your two cents worth is definitely worth a lot more to me... I need to go repack.

How do first timers, or any cruisers for that matter, make it happen without cruisecritics.com ? I know it has definitely helped this Texas family. ;)

Also, Space Bags work very well when trying to pack with just a carry-on as long as you have room for a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release in your 3-1-1 bag.

Quees...if you take space bags with you, how do you bring them back? Aren't those the ones you use with a vacuum?

Quees...if you take space bags with you, how do you bring them back? Aren't those the ones you use with a vacuum?

The ones I use are the kind that you "roll" the air out. So, no vacuum needed. I also use the gallon or jumbo size ziplock bags if I run out of space bags.

Any suggestions for packing sun block for a 4-day West Coast cruise? I definitely don't want to run short with this. Unfortunately, we need two different kinds due to skin reactions and share between two cabins. Not sure how much time you spend out sunbathing on West Coast cruise in mid - late summer. I have heard it is cooler than Caribbbean. We have only done Caribbean cruises previously.

Two options I have already considered. Since there are four of us, give each person a 3 oz travel bottle to fill with favorite sunblock. But is 3 oz per person enough? Option number two, buy locally once we arrive, but then may waste alot by throwing out any unused sunblock. Since we have time once we arrive, I am considering option two the better solution. Your opinion / ideas?

We each packed a carryon for our 14 day cruise with a day in Miami before hand and a week in Italy afterwards. We did rent a tux for DH, but I brought formal clothes. We also brought our 3 oz toiletries and bought anything we needed over that.

And we still thought we brought too much stuff!

As another thing to think about....With airlines now charging for baggage, everyone and their brother are attempting to carry incredible amounts onto the plane. And, as far as I can tell, unless the bag is humungeous, no one is stopping them from bringing the stuff on. (honest to goodness, on my last flight one person had 4 bags-2 carryon size, and 2 large bags. I know they weren't his wife's, she had 3 herself!) So bin space is even more limited than before.

So if you take a carryon, go hoping you'll get bin space, but be prepared to have your stuff under the seat in front of you or in a different part of the plane.

Archived