Restaurant recommendations in Denali-Healy area

cruiseej

I guess it's a sure sign spring is here and the cruising season is nearly upon us that there are fewer threads about selecting an itinerary and more threads about where to eat while we're there! :)

I know I've seen a few restaurants mentioned in the Healy-Denali area, but I didn't print them out at the time, so I figured I'd specifically ask for recommendations now. We'll be spending two nights in Healy in June, and have a car. What do you recommend for best food in the area? Thanks.

-- Eric

Thanks -- keep 'em coming!

Wolfie, anything you can add to help chose among Rosie's, Black Diamond, and the Salmon Bake?

I thought I recalled some people mentioning a place which is just named by its milepost number on the Parks Highway, or am I thinking of something south of Denali?

-- Eric

I can personally attest to the deliciousness of the Monderosa's burgers. We have gone out of our way to have them.

Our SIL spends a lot of time in the Healy area, and his top recommendation is Rosie's.

We enjoyed the Salmon Bake at the south end of Glitter Gulch when there last September. It is a locally owned place. We enjoyed the food, just can't remember what we had there right now. We also enjoyed the local beers. The atmosphere is rustic. Servers and other staff were friendly and service was efficient.

Rosie's for breakfast or lunch (I really like her homemade to order egg salad), and either Black Diamond or Salmon Bake for dinner. The Salmon Bake has live local bands on the weekend.

Who's got time for breakfast when I've got a 5:30 a.m. shuttle bus to catch?! ;)

The local band at the Salmon Bake would be a :) for me and my wife, but probably a :eek: for my 80ish parents. But with the goofy hours we'll be awake, we may give it a try at an off hour.

So is 229 Parks nothing special? I thought I had remembered reading some strong positive comments about it.

Black Diamond Grill sounds like it might be best for a nice meal? (And it sounds like we've got to try to fit in a Monderosa's burger somewhere!) Thanks for all the feedback.

-- Eric

I think I've read here that the Subway is open 24 hours.

Our hotel in Healy offers a bag/box lunch for a nominal fee, and since we're going to be taking the 5:30 a.m. bus, that's what we'll do for convenience.

-- Eric

I am not sure of their hours, but I know you can get bag lunches at the Subway in Glitter Gulch.

I think I've read here that the Subway is open 24 hours.

Subway is open 24 hours. We did this last July. I would suggest packing one on the soft sided insulated mini coolers to put sandwiches and perhaps drinks in. This worked well for us. I'd also suggest not getting any sandwiches that are very wet (e.g. with oils and vinegar or perhaps egg or chicken salad).

Denali is incredible!!

Archived