Cabin views - aft vs. midship???

Hello Everyone. We are new cruisers,considering our next cruise and looking at two cabin possiblities - midship balcony or aft balcony with bigger deck. While we like the idea of a larger balcony to enjoy breakfast etc. on, one of the big highlights for us is pulling into port and watching the goings on. For those of you who have stayed in the aft cabins (9256 Serenade to be precise), although the balcony looks wonderful, can you still see the goings on of the port without standing and looking over the railing? From the pics it looks like your main view is the ocean, and seeing the port would require standing at the side and looking out, as opposed to enjoying breakfast and watching it before you. Are we correct in our assessment? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks....

It really depends on the port, and which way the ship docks, as to what you'll be able to easily see. If you can't see what you want from your balcony, the entire upper, pool deck is totally open and available for viewing!

If you take an aft balcony, you'll have to look to the side of the ship. If you pick a "midship" balcony, you many not be facing the dock--

it's a crapshoot, either way!

We had aft 8088 on Grandeur in 2006. When we docked in St. Martin, we kind of backed in to the pier and had a wonderful view of everything going on. In other ports, we were not so lucky.

The convenience of the mid ship balcony has to be considered. Depending on the size of your ship, the aft balcony can be nice, but inconvenient to most everything else on the ship.

We usually get a balcony and now try to stay as mid-ship as possible. Our Grandeur aft was very nice, but a long walk to everywhere.

Have a great cruise!

Rick and Deirdra

If you can latch onto 9256 you will have the best D 1 cabin on the ship without a doubt. The balcony is a wrap so you will have great views to the aft and port.

We had the cabin booked and were totally depressed when we had to change ships. We have been on the Serenade on another sailing. It is so quiet in that part of the ship and I certainly did not mind the hike aft. It was part of my weight control program!

If convenience is more important then choose the midship cabin but you sure can't beat the balcony.

When we were on the Serenade in November there was quite a party every night in the atrium and the sound carried fairly far into the corridors. I have no idea if you could hear the music in the cabins but I thought 11:30 was a little late to be carrying on in the atrium. It may only have been our sailing and it was the first time in over twenty cruises that I have ever had this experience. I was delighted that we were aft on deck 10. I did not hear a thing by the time I got to our cabin.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I couldn;t agree with you more about the sound travelling on Radiance Class.... it's the only complaint I have really... .actually strike that.... I don't mind the sound of music in the corridors at all.... though I agree that 11.30pm is late.... what I DO object to is the PW Auction using the Centrum during the day.... now THAT'S noise pollution..... why don't they use the Safari Lounge?

Back on topic..... have 9256 on Radiance next year....very excited about that.... love the aft views and you get to see the dock whatever side the ship parks up at :)

I just booked my first ever "aft" cabin on VOS ...not till january.(1688)

It looks like its on a corner, booked it on a reccomendation

from this board. CAN NOT WAIT to try the "aft-life". Going to AK in august but more excited for the VOS because of the cabin.

Everytime I read posts like above I get more jazzed!

I just booked my first ever "aft" cabin on VOS ...not till january.(1688)

It looks like its on a corner, booked it on a reccomendation

from this board. CAN NOT WAIT to try the "aft-life". Going to AK in august but more excited for the VOS because of the cabin.

Everytime I read posts like above I get more jazzed!

You will have the TIME OF YOUR LIFE in that aft cabin! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! I'm hoping to get another aft on my next cruise! Make sure to take advantage of breakfast out on your balcony every morning as the sun rises. One of my favorite post-cruise memories! :)

We love the aft cabins and embrace the walk as a way to keep the weight down.:o

Your view is really dependent on how the ship is tendered or docked. Largely the view in port is terrific. Lots of photos in the link below showing the view from the aft balconies (including 9256).

Just thinking of the simple joy of relaxing over a cup of coffee looking at the views (which change daily) puts a smile on my face.:)

Have a great cruise.

Kathy

Just off AOS and had 9390, my dream cabin. I tryed to book it but it was unavailable, then it opened up.

It was great with the extra round window (grandson called it his window, played and played) plus the glass door made a beautiful sunfilled room.

We did notice a lot more movement, our daughter had a side balcony 8669 to compare. We also had a lot of vibration. Our next cabin will be a midship balcony.

The ship is still our favorite and the crew was great. We missed our favorite waiter, Baker. He was assigned to "my time" dining and we were with our group so we were not able to have him. We found him to say hi. It was amazing because he remembered where we live and where we were seated last year plus the fact that my husband loves hamburgers!

That was the last time we will be on the Adventure. We will not be cruising overseas. Guess we will have to find a new favorite!

We love the aft cabins and embrace the walk as a way to keep the weight down.:o

Your view is really dependent on how the ship is tendered or docked. Largely the view in port is terrific. Lots of photos in the link below showing the view from the aft balconies (including 9256).

Just thinking of the simple joy of relaxing over a cup of coffee looking at the views (which change daily) puts a smile on my face.:)

Have a great cruise.

Kathy

Kathy, You mention a photo link? Thanks

Archived