So.... where to for 25th?

4lifeinnh

My DH and I want to cruise for our 25th anniv in 2010. (i'm taking my first cruise with my DM next month - 3 days on NCL SKY to bahamas & i'm counting on loving it!)

my dh and i want to cruise hawaii but POA seems to be the only all hawaii ship and we're in NH so the extra airfare and flight time *sigh* - just not sure. so our second thought is eastern carribean. we are not big into the party scene, want romance, looking at a 7 nt, and don't want to break the bank.

so experienced cruisers... where to?

your cruise line/ship suggestion and why?

your port suggestions and why?

by the way, now that i've booked my first cruise, i can't seem to get off the boards!

beth

Given your constraints, the best choice will probably be the Caribbean.

Do you have a TA that specializes in cruises? If so, talk to him or her to get ideas.

Without knowing more about you and your spouse, it is difficult tomake suggestions.

For a special anniversary, romance, and a "more than ordinary" cruise experience try Windstar. Browse the website and see you are interested. We have sailed on the Wind Surf and loved every moment.

The 2010 Caribbean itineraries are here (through March).

Hi there, 4LifeinNH! A big factor in giving you advice on this will be the month you want to travel to celebrate that anniversary.

Summer months are the hurricane season in the Caribbean. If you choose a cruise then, you will never be in danger from a storm. Modern cruise ships always know when bad weather is coming. However, it's possible your ship might have to miss a port to avoid a storm system.

Also, some lines don't keep cruise ships in the Caribbean in the summer.

So, could you post again about when you'd like to travel?

My DH and I are planning our first cruise also for our 25th which wll be in July 2011. We are planning an Alaskan cruise as he does not like the whole sun and lounging around a pool scene and since it will be July will be the perfect time for Alaska. I have been browing and see packages that include a "balcony" cabin - can anyone tell me what this is??

You don't say what month you need but if it is May - early October and you want to save money take the spirit from Boston to Bermuda, Bermuda is fabulous.

Second choice would be Southern Caribbean, or eastern, not Western, don't care for that one at all.

But Bermuda is a great choice and very easy for you to get too and the Spirit is a small but beautiful ship.

thanks for your suggestions so far. our anniv is in may but i have already discovered that ships leave the caribbean by then so we would be flexible with our dates and travel in april. would a couple that don't drink and are looking for rest and relaxation find Carnival a good line?

i think we would rather avoid hurricane season in the caribbean!

i booked my SKY cruise with a local travel agent so that's a good suggestion to talk to her.

my dh actually wants to cruise alaska but i wasn't too keen on the idea. we could wait until summer to go. anyone want to share why alaska would be a good cruise? i really am a history buff so would alaska be interesting?

arwenmark: is it worth going on a cruise and only going to one port being bermuda? cruising boston to bermuda would save us an airfare though! tell me how fabulous bermuda is!

thanks everyone!

We would HIGHLY recommend Alaska - been twice and are planning our third (w/7 days on land on our own first!) for 2010. Its spectacular! The scenery can not be beat, and the wildlife viewing is amazing - whales, seals, eagles, etc. The ports are filled with history - particularly Sitka (Russian influence), Skagway (gold rush, railroad), etc. Cruising the glaciers is just stunning - we've only seen Hubbard Glacier but are planning on catching Glacier Bay in 2010. Awesome to see Hubbard, a massive block of ice larger than city blocks, calving into the sea. Wow! We've cruised on May 31, 2008 and on Sept. 15, 2006 - both very different experiences - May's weather was much better, warmer, less rain and extreme daylight (til 10:30PM most nights) for all that spectacular scenery. But our Sept. cruise was just as special - just rainier, cooler, and less daylight. You really can't go wrong with Alaska. If your interest is peaked, head over to the Alaska Ports of Call section of this website and just check it out. Alaska gets in your blood and once you go, you'll be back! Just something to consider....:p

thanks for your suggestions so far. our anniv is in may but i have already discovered that ships leave the caribbean by then so we would be flexible with our dates and travel in april. would a couple that don't drink and are looking for rest and relaxation find Carnival a good line?

i booked my SKY cruise with a local travel agent so that's a good suggestion to talk to her.

my dh actually wants to cruise alaska but i wasn't too keen on the idea. we could wait until summer to go. anyone want to share why alaska would be a good cruise? i really am a history buff so would alaska be interesting?

arwenmark: is it worth going on a cruise and only going to one port being bermuda? cruising boston to bermuda would save us an airfare though! tell me how fabulous bermuda is!

thanks everyone!

Hello,

I am probably the odd person out here but I would go to Alaska. The airfares to Seattle are usually reasonable. And please let's not get into arguments abiut Vancouver Vs Seattle. I know that you probably see more from Vancouver but Seattle is MUCH cheaper all around).

Another idea is to find a repositioning cruise. Tomorrow we leave for South America, and the cruise per person for a balcony is $932.00 for a 14 day cruise, cruise only. My point...repositioning cruises may be your best bet.

Fred

thanks everyone!

I'm not arwenmark but I can chime in. ;)

If you like getting into a port at 9AM, rushing around, trying to fit in an excursion, sightseeing and maybe some shopping, then getting back to the ship by 4PM to start the whole thing over again the next day, maybe you wouldn't like Bermuda.

BUT....if you want a nice relaxing vacation where there's no hurry to get off the ship, you can sightsee, etc. at your leisure and get back on board whatever time you wish, then Bermuda IS the place. Transportation system is excellent and cheap so you can do most things on your own as opposed to pricey excursions.

The island is clean, the people are extremely friendly and helpful. No one is pushy and trying to sell you anything. You are free to wander anywhere around the island with, of course, the normal precautions you would practice anywhere at night. Except for very rare occassions, there is no tendering because the ships dock right at St. George or King's Wharf.

Bermuda is not party central and you will not find beach bars. Some of the more popular beaches can get crowded but there are quiet beaches and coves to be found. There are any number of historical places of interest if that suits your fancy.

Cruises to Bermuda generally seem to be more expensive but if you can save on airfare, you're usually ahead.

Go to Bermuda under Ports of Call where you can find tons of information. BTW, it's been extremely rare that I've run across someone who did not like Bermuda. Mostly, people love it and cannot wait to go back.

If you are looking for romantic I would suggest Princess. Their ships are beautiful, especially the ships sailing the caribbean perfect for a 25th anniversary celebration. I suggest eastern over western carib. For me it is more scenic and less hectic. You may like the other.

A Carnival cruise would be much more upbeat & lively.:eek: Lots going on with both activities & decor.

thanks everyone!

As opposed to some of the Caribbean Islands Bermuda is CLEAN and Beautiful. It has some fantastic beaches, then nice pink ones great golf if you like that, many sites great shopping.

It is great to go there and stay all week on one Island, you can get around cheaply by local bus and ferry system as well

Here is a poll I started that will show you it's popularity. For many, Once they go there it becomes their port of choice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=940362&highlight=bermuda+poll

My DH and I are planning our first cruise also for our 25th which wll be in July 2011. We are planning an Alaskan cruise as he does not like the whole sun and lounging around a pool scene and since it will be July will be the perfect time for Alaska. I have been browing and see packages that include a "balcony" cabin - can anyone tell me what this is??

I'm going to assume that you're asking seriously and not teasing. If you've never cruised before, the categories can be a tad confusing, especially because each cruise line has its own designations for the various types.

Anyway, it's a cabin (also called stateroom) that has a (usually small, in the range of 40-50 sq ft) balcony attached. (Aft balconies are often deeper and larger, which makes them prized by those who like the aft--back end of the ship.) There are glass doors from the cabin that open to the balcony, which will have either a glass or metal "wall" in front that will be about 4 ft high (so you won't fall over). The side partitions will be either metal or frosted glass (for visual, but not audio privacy).

So basically a balcony cabin is a cabin with a balcony. That is a prime category for many of us, who will not cruise without a balcony of some kind. Others don't mind the smallest inside cabin as it leaves them more money for other things. It depends on your priorities. We cruised our first cruises (one each separately back in the dark ages of cruising, and then one together about 10 years ago) in an inside cabin. Not our cup of tea. Once in an oceanview. Nicer and with good light, but if we can see outside, we want to be able to go outside. (Oceanview cabin windows do not open.) Had our first balcony cabin in 2001 and it's been balcony all the way since then.

beachchick

I am in the same "boat". LOL

We want to do a cruise too for our 25th anniversary next year. We love the hustle of a new port everyday, on the go, go go, exploring new parts of the world.

I think we are leaning towards going over to Europe and sailing from somewhere. Not sure where though. LOL I am needing to do some research and while on our cruise in May, we were going to discuss it over the sunsets and DOD!!

This is probably crazy, but DH will have our 25th anniversary in 2012 and we're already thinking about which cruise to take! My thought is more about the cabin & ship instead of where we go. Of course, itneraries aren't close to being out yet (ha!), but for this anniversary we want to get a penthouse or at least a royal suite (Celebrity) and will probably only do 5 nights. Something to look waaaay forward to!

your posts have been awesome folks! thanks for sharing, you have given me a lot to consider. I'll check out the bermuda board and the alaska board. isn't researching a future cruise wonderful :)? of course i haven't taken my first one yet!!

My DH and I want to cruise for our 25th anniv in 2010. (i'm taking my first cruise with my DM next month - 3 days on NCL SKY to bahamas & i'm counting on loving it!)

my dh and i want to cruise hawaii but POA seems to be the only all hawaii ship and we're in NH so the extra airfare and flight time *sigh* - just not sure. so our second thought is eastern carribean. we are not big into the party scene, want romance, looking at a 7 nt, and don't want to break the bank.

so experienced cruisers... where to?

your cruise line/ship suggestion and why?

your port suggestions and why?

by the way, now that i've booked my first cruise, i can't seem to get off the boards!

beth

We leave for our 25th anniversary cruise in 23 days! We chose a RCCL Trans Atlantic departing from Miami. Got a fabulous price in December for a May trip. And thanks to following the Cruise Critic Roll Call boards, discovered when prices were reduced and got a discount applied again. If it's easy for you to get to Boston I'd look at Ft. Lauderdale or Miami as your embarkation port. We're getting to FLL for $75pp, one way, on Jet Blue. Then taking a shuttle to South Beach for the night. We're staying at a Marriott for free when we signed up for their credit card.

Bermuda is the first stop. We've been there on a cruise before and agree with others, it's absolutely beautiful, if the weather's nice. It is cheaper to cruise to Bermuda than stay in a hotel there, as you'll do the majority of your meals on the ship and food is an expensive commodity on an island that must import everything. Our other stops are Lisbon, Vigo, Spain, and Cherbourg, France and finally England. Our flight home from London, one way was pretty expensive, but what the heck, it's our 25th! Others have suggested booking roundtrip and then taking a TA the opposite direction in the fall. Wish we'd thought of that and could afford it...Happy Anniversary , in advance!

We leave for our 25th anniversary cruise in 23 days! We chose a RCCL Trans Atlantic departing from Miami. Got a fabulous price in December for a May trip. And thanks to following the Cruise Critic Roll Call boards, discovered when prices were reduced and got a discount applied again. If it's easy for you to get to Boston I'd look at Ft. Lauderdale or Miami as your embarkation port. We're getting to FLL for $75pp, one way, on Jet Blue. Then taking a shuttle to South Beach for the night. We're staying at a Marriott for free when we signed up for their credit card.

Bermuda is the first stop. We've been there on a cruise before and agree with others, it's absolutely beautiful, if the weather's nice. It is cheaper to cruise to Bermuda than stay in a hotel there, as you'll do the majority of your meals on the ship and food is an expensive commodity on an island that must import everything. Our other stops are Lisbon, Vigo, Spain, and Cherbourg, France and finally England. Our flight home from London, one way was pretty expensive, but what the heck, it's our 25th! Others have suggested booking roundtrip and then taking a TA the opposite direction in the fall. Wish we'd thought of that and could afford it...Happy Anniversary , in advance!

Thanks for your info. I am looking into a cruise leaving from a different country than the USA and I am totally clueless right now of what to search for. I am trying to figure out which cruise lines are "good" ones from Europe etc...

I haven't even checked out the ships leaving Miami and seeing where they go for a TA.

I have tons of research to do - Yet, again!! But, I absolutely LOVE IT!!

Thanks for your info. I am looking into a cruise leaving from a different country than the USA and I am totally clueless right now of what to search for. I am trying to figure out which cruise lines are "good" ones from Europe etc...

I haven't even checked out the ships leaving Miami and seeing where they go for a TA.

I have tons of research to do - Yet, again!! But, I absolutely LOVE IT!!

A good site to use when you have no clue about destinations is the vacationstogodotcom site. Their format is easy and covers all cruise lines so you don't have to be limited to naming the line. Or if you want a specific line, you don't have to limit yourself to a particular embarkation site. Just type in Trans Atlantic for all cruises, both directions. Some even go to Boston from Europe in the fall.

I have learned here on the boards that you might want to book directly with the cruise line, refuse their insurance and then, right before final payment, transfer your booking to a travel agent who usually has more comprehensive travel insurance at a better value. You save money this way too.

Also, if whatever cruise line you pick has a loyalty club (like a frequent cruiser club) sign up for it after your first cruise. It usually costs nothing and you could get some coupons for on board credits etc. to spend on the ship the next time you cruise, as well as other savings like being able to book new cruises before the general public. RCCL and Celebrity have reciprical benefits (as they're owned by the same company) after 5 cruises on one single line.

The best thing of all, you've already discovered. Cruise Critic is a wonderful source and these boards are a wealth of information. My sister, a librarian, clued me in on this. Good luck! You're on the right track.

Excellent site. Thank you for that tip. I already see tons of sailings I want to go on. Helps to see the dates of them all too. I got lots of research to do!! This is so fun.

Hopefully buy our cruise time in May, I can have a list figured out and we can narrow down while we are sailing away.

Our first cruise was for our 25th. Beware! You will get hooked. :D

Our first cruise was for our 20th and I agree with you, this year was our 40th anniversary not cruise, been on about 15 or 16 cruises in those 20 years.

My wife and I are doing a cruise for our 25th next March (although it is actually in May but her work constraints limit when we go)...so I booked a Royal Suite on the Celebrity Century for 5 nights (only ports of call are Key West, Florida and Grand Cayman with some sea days) with a couple of nights before that at an upscale hotel in Fort Lauderdale for some beach time...

I am really liking the RCCL Navigator of the Seas - Mediterranean/Egypt itinerary.

Right up my DH and my likings.

I have a friend who is from Paris and we are discussing going to Paris several days in advance and visiting her and her being our tour guide. Then she will take us to Rome to board the ship.

I hope this all works out. I know better than to get excited now!

If and when it is a go, I have to find out all I can about the ship and cruiseline. I have never done RCCL before.

Archived