Panama Canal Apr. 20, 2010

wines60

Just booked this cruise. Cabin SY 6069. Any good tips, is this a decent choice of location, excursions not to miss, etc. Would appreciate any info. We'll be celebrating our 50th anniversary even though the actual date is July 2. TA could book on Deck 8, but since it is just below the Lido deck, I was concernedabout noise. Is Starboard side good for viewing the Canal? I have read that it's best up on deck, but we'll probably hang out on our verandah for part of the day.

Thanks in advance to all Y'll experts out there! :confused:

we were right down there on the bow as we went into the first lock. It is the best view. After that we did spend time on the veranda and promenade deck. We loved every minutes of our passage. One interesting thing to do is to go out on the promenade deck when the ship is down low in the lock. It is amazing how close the ship is to the wall and also how small one feels. Make sure you have a Panama sweet roll that will be served on the bow and elsewhere during the morning passage. Friends can watch your ship go through the canal on :

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=Gatun . They won't be able to pick you out, of course. Also there will be a canal guide broadcasting throughout the day.

congratulations .. you deserve a nice cruise - and this will indeed fit the bill. we did this same cruise 2 years ago and found it to be exciting. I dont think cabin location is an issue as you will want to be in front of ship for the part thru the canal ..

harry

Is there any great difference between SY on Deck 6 and SS on Deck 8? The cabins and verandahs seem to be the same. Also we are on starboard side which I thought we might enjoy as we sail northward toward San Diego. Any more comments and suggestions are welcome! Thanks a bunch. We're really looking forward to this trip and hope to make it as wonderful as possible.

We've been through the canal twice in the past two years and it is an amazing journey. Some suggestions.....

Make sure you have a hat, lots of sunscreen and lots of water with you on deck. The Canal kis amazingly hot and humid.

Spend the first locks (Mira Flores) on the bow. Spend the first part of the second locks (Gatun) on the bow...but then go to the stern deck. this is especially true if there is another ship coming through right behind you...it will give you a whole different perspective on the locks at work.

The time on the Promenade Deck is really good suggestion!

Before you go, get your hands on two documentaries...one produced by National Geographic and one by PBS (Nova I think) that covers the history of building the Canal...seeing these will give you a whole different perspective when you go through the Canal. (I don't know why HAL does not make these available on board....also we found the "narator" to be less than exciting in her presentation...but that is just us...others found her ok.)

You will have an amazing time! I great way to celebrate your life's milestone!!

Since you are going from the Caribbean to the Pacific, the Gatun Locks will be first. Make sure to be forward as you approach the locks. There are three here, and if there are ships in them, particularly in the furthest, it will look like a ship is sitting at the top of the steps! Going through Gatun Lake, look on the starboard side (right) for the remains of the original canal started by the French. Alsoon the port side for a wider channel started by the US in 1940 as a wider canal. It was abandoned, but now will be the site of the new locks in the expansion plan. EM

We have done the canal several times. We have also been on the Navigation deck below the pool area and we had no problems with noise. The front deck is one of the best places to see the locks but it is quite full early on. Later in the day there may be only a few people. Both sides of the ship have interesting perspectives from your own balcony. If I had to choose though I would take the port side on a south bound passage. North Bound would be the opposite. There is more to see on that side of the ship, but you will not be disappointed. ---- Remember to get the Panama Canal Pastry --- they are great. Have a great cruise.

Just booked this cruise. Cabin SY 6069. Any good tips, is this a decent choice of location, excursions not to miss, etc. Would appreciate any info. We'll be celebrating our 50th anniversary even though the actual date is July 2. TA could book on Deck 8, but since it is just below the Lido deck, I was concernedabout noise. Is Starboard side good for viewing the Canal? I have read that it's best up on deck, but we'll probably hang out on our verandah for part of the day.

Thanks in advance to all Y'll experts out there! :confused:

We just finished the Zuiderdam doing the Panama Canal in cabin 6076. This was a great location, and a great cabin. Close enough to elevators, and easy to get to the dinning room and to the spa. We felt the upper deck with the SS catagory MIGHT pick up more sound from the lido deck above. First time on HAL, and really enjoyed this ship. Booking another HAL cruise soon.............baffles:D

Archived