Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

You will have a GREAT time! I went on the NCL Gem in October. It was our third Mediterranean Crusie. We reallly caught the cruise bug! I read the Europe port board almost daily even though we don't have another planned just because it lets me relive the experience over and over :-)

My roll call is pretty quite so I'm hoping to find others that are going on the Gem this Spring and Summer or maybe went last year. I would like to share preparation stories or read about those who have already been. Mickeysgal and Mississippi, how are things coming along for you?

I only worked a half day so I was able to shop for some travel goodies. I found an inflatable neck pillow and a waist security pouch made of coolmax. I was so pleased that I didn't have to order them on line. I also found a couple of different eye shades. I was hoping for just plain black but didn't find them. Anyone know where to buy the plain black ones?

Hi Daring! Like you, I can't get enough of talking about this cruise! My roll call is fairly quiet, not much chatting except for tour share requests.

We sail May 10...just a month away! For Christmas, I gave DH a carry on duffel bag, filled with 2 inflatable pillows, 2 light weight throws, and 2 sleep eye masks in black (from Walmart). He was thrilled with the gift, and wondered why he got 2 of everything, lol!

I think I'm ready, I've got my flights booked, private tours for the Italian ports booked, edocs printed, my Welcome Aboard booklet and luggage tags have arrived. I think all that's left is packing, and I plan to start putting together a few outfits this week-end.

Here are two awesome threads to whet your appetite:

Radio's Live Report from the Gem last month has some awesome pics of the ship: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s...d.php?t=942285

Here is Celebrat's review from last year for "our cruise" : http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s...d.php?t=820569

That kept me busy for awhile. Cool! I had already read Radio's review. Yes, went to Walmart but they only had an aqua color in the sleep masks. Don't think that's going to work for the hubby. By the way LOL on the two of everything for your hubbys gift.

Got a suggestion on the Europe forum to buy Streetwise maps so I picked up one for Rome and one for Barcelona. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

My roll call is pretty quite so I'm hoping to find others that are going on the Gem this Spring and Summer or maybe went last year. I would like to share preparation stories or read about those who have already been. Mickeysgal and Mississippi, how are things coming along for you?

Hi there!

I just bought a new bathing suit...that was traumatic. :rolleyes: :eek:

My roll call is pretty quiet as well. I've met a couple of great families who we'll be sharing tours with, but other than that, not much is happening on it.

What I'm researching now is Malta. I'd like to do the Hypogeum, Mdina/St. John's, Valetta, but I'm not sure how pressed for time we'll be. The ship is there only until 3pm. I want to see it all, but I also want to just go slow and take it all in - especially when I know the next three days will be non-stop touring (Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi, Rome, and Florence).

I've been pouring over Barcelona tour sites, maps, etc. My DH is, lets say, direction challenged. It will be up to me to get us around the city - and I only know a few key phrases. That alone has me more than a bit nervous.

I'm trying to keep in light in Malta so I can save some energy and memory for the 4 other stops. I'm going to do a 4 hour tour that day. Did you buy maps or are you looking on the intranet?

Sorry about the bathing suit; I went through the same thing this past week-end. What in the name of St. Peter happened over the winter! I'm sure that is not the same body I had last summer. Excuse me while I drop to the floor and do a few sit-ups.:o

My roll call is pretty quiet as well. I've met a couple of great families who we'll be sharing tours with, but other than that, not much is happening on it.

Sometimes you can jump onto another roll call for a different week. As far as Barcelona, stay on or near Ramblas. Take the hop on hop off bus. Walk the streets near Ramblas.

Sometimes you can jump onto another roll call for a different week. As far as Barcelona, stay on or near Ramblas. Take the hop on hop off bus. Walk the streets near Ramblas.

We've decided on Hotel Jazz and I hope that this is a decent location. We were going to change it to Hotel Montecarlo, but the rate I was watching is no longer available...see what I get for procrastinating?

We'd like to go see the fountain show and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there and to estimate the time needed to get there. We're going to do the HOHO - I should be able to figure that out without a lot of grief.

Park Guell, walking Las Ramblas, the Sagrada Familia, and the market are also on our list. Other than that, I'm not sure what we'll have much time for. We fly in early morning on a Friday and the cruise starts on Sunday. So we'll have from about noon on Friday to Sunday late morning to see the sights.

What are the rest of you doing in Barcelona?

We don't get to Barcelona till 8:35 on Sunday morning so we will take a taxi to the port, check our bags and then head to Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. I then plan to catch a bus or cab to Sagrada Familia, and the take a taxi back to the port or catch the port bus again--depending on how much time I have. And of course stop for cava and tapas along the way! :p

We are coming back the day you leave, I'm very excited while DH is worried about needing a vacation after this vacation :-)

We are staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar which is further away from Las Ramblas but free with points.

Using RomeinLimo for Livorno, Rome and Naples and not doing anything in Malta and Cannes, walking around and relaxing.

That kept me busy for awhile. Cool! I had already read Radio's review.

I loved Radio's review! Doesn't she look like like a BEAUTIFUL ship? And did you see those double-wide loungers???? The only thing missing from THAT picture was a fruity umbrella drink and ME!

Hi there!

I just bought a new bathing suit...that was traumatic. :rolleyes: :eek:

Um, am I the only one that has noticed that all the ads show only size-2, 20-somethings lounging around the pool????

We don't get to Barcelona till 8:35 on Sunday morning so we will take a taxi to the port, check our bags and then head to Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. I then plan to catch a bus or cab to Sagrada Familia, and the take a taxi back to the port or catch the port bus again--depending on how much time I have. And of course stop for cava and tapas along the way! :p

Same here. We should arrive in Barcelona around 9:00 am Sunday morning, and it looks like we have the same plans for the day. I hope they don't run out of champagne before I board the ship! :eek:

We plan to take a bus in Malta to Hagar Qim (DH is quite excited about that!), and if time allows, a bus from there to Mdina. I printed out a bus schedule to take with me, but I understand I can pick one up when we disembark.

Do y'all have any thoughts about the spa package? I'm on the fence with this. I really want to purchase, but then I remember how port-intense this cruise is, and wonder if there will even be time to spend an hour or so each day relaxing! I suppose buying a one-day pass for Monday (sea day) is an option.

I am so glad you started this thread, daring! I've been dying to talk to somebody about our cruise, and it's great to be here with like-minded people!

Hi all, we did this cruise last summer and had a fantastic time. Here's a link to our webshots, 2 albums for that cruise:

http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101

We spent a day before and a day after in Barcelona, so those are the first and last pictures you will see, mostly of Las Ramblas and the cathedral.

In Malta, FYI, there is a city bus that you can pick up right at the end of the pier, 1 euro round trip into the city of Valletta. We planned a quiet morning just exploring Valletta, since we had so much planned for the next ports--- it was a great decision for us.

Have a great cruise!

2849476600056765150S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is the Gem docked at Malta!

We plan to take a bus in Malta to Hagar Qim (DH is quite excited about that!), and if time allows, a bus from there to Mdina. I printed out a bus schedule to take with me, but I understand I can pick one up when we disembark.

Do y'all have any thoughts about the spa package? I'm on the fence with this. I really want to purchase, but then I remember how port-intense this cruise is, and wonder if there will even be time to spend an hour or so each day relaxing! I suppose buying a one-day pass for Monday (sea day) is an option.

I am so glad you started this thread, daring! I've been dying to talk to somebody about our cruise, and it's great to be here with like-minded people!

Yes, let me second that. Thank you daring!

Mississippi, do you have the link for the bus schedule? Does anyone know how far it is from Valetta to Mdina? I think I'm trying to pack too much stuff into the day. I think I'm going to have to par it down a bit.

I thought about the spa package, but I think that for us it would be a waste. I'm already concerned that we won't be able to get a chance to enjoy the ship as it stands right now. The port days are long and I don't want to throw another thing to do on the list. I want to have a chance to sit and enjoy our balcony. I'd be happy with a massage of some kind (I've never had one, can you believe it?), but the only real opening is our one day at sea. Can you imagine how quickly that day will book?

When are you cruisin' judi? ;)

And Mickey's, I have decided to do the spa package. I think I'm going to need it after walking so much all day. I might try to wake up with my morning coffee on those stone loungers too; I think they make look out over the front of the ship!

I am sooo excited about this, I can't wait and there is still so much time to come... I'll only be traveling in late August. :cool: We are doing a quick flight to Barcelona, since we live quite near in Lisbon. I will not be spending any time there - it is a city we all know pretty well. We are traveling as a family: my husband and I, our 5 yo son and our 7mo daughter and my husband's mother who will turn 71 onboard. :D Isn't it great? She has never cruised, so I think she is also pretty excited.

I am thinking of doing it all on our own, because of the baby. Also, we already have visited Rome and Pompeii. So we will visit La Valletta, I'm wondering if there is a beach near; visit Naples or Capri (I'll let my mother in law choose, I think she prefers to visit Naples); thinking of visiting Ostia Antica in Rome; Florence I would defenitly like to visit but I don't dare take an organised tour with a baby so I'll just settle for the train; in Villefranche I think I'll try to see as much as I can of Nice, Cap-Ferrat and Monaco. I'll just take it easy on the baby and grandma. :o

I'm not sure we'll take the spa since someone has to stay with the baby, so it won't be very convenient. :confused:

Romance package, I'm impressed and excited for you Gregor.

Chapichapo, there is a place called Pretty Bay in Malta that was suggested to me for swimming. You can take a look at it on an interactive map of Malta on the intranet. Malta tourist site? Shouldn't be too hard to find.

There is also another beach on the Amalfi coast that was suggested. I thought I might be interested in it. We are doing a private tour along the Amalfi coast then Pompeii.

Olechka, get your husband a Spa package :D

So Rickstan, you're Italian? How awesome for you to visit Italy!

Thank you daring

We took a eastern med cruise last year and have visited Pompeii (although we must defenitly return since it is such an interesting place) and the Amalfi coast. Didn't stop at any beach though. I'll take a look at your suggestion tomorrow since here its almost 3 am and must go to bed ;)

Mississippi, do you have the link for the bus schedule? Does anyone know how far it is from Valetta to Mdina? I think I'm trying to pack too much stuff into the day. I think I'm going to have to par it down a bit.

Mickeysgal, see if these sites help with your planning:

http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet?action=listSummerBusRoutes

http://www.europeanrailtimetable.co.uk/maltabybus/map_maltaA4_2009.pdf

http://www.maltabybus.com/

Thanks!

When I first planned this cruise, I'll admit, I was not up on my history and Malta was not very high on my radar. I was focused purely on Rome/Florence/Naples. Then I started reading, and watching threads here and boy, oh boy, was I surprised. Now, I am very much looking forward to it just as much as the Italian ports.

Archived