NCL Deposit Non-Refundable?

BlueCat1105

One must go back and read the policy. It does not say that OS's ans above are in the cancellation phase as it used to. Depending on the length of cruise, some cancellation may apply.

Cruise Days: 6 days or more, Garden Villa Category, Courtyard Villas and Owner's Suite Greater than 120 days prior to sailing $0

I posted about this change back on 9/4, when I booked my Dawn repo cruise for next year.

Al

US2inFL

Did you use a "Freestyle Cruise Reward" for the $250. I did also and they

withheld $ 400 on a 10 day cruise and said that is company policy. How

long was your cruise.

Tom

I think they clearly did based on the way they wrote the post, but if I can make a suggestion, you already have this issue under discussion on at least two other threads. Why reopen a thread that has beeen dormant for nearly seven months? The discussion will be more coherent if it's carried out on a single thread. Thanks.

• 3 years later...
I'm just beginning to look for a new cruise line to try out, after having sailed on Princess, and went to the NCL website to look around. Am I reading correctly that the deposits are not fully refundable if you need to cancel? I intend to book so far out in order to get the cabin I'd like that I certainly could imagine a need to cancel a reservation.

Thanks!

I have spent 3 days unsatisfactorily dealing with ncl because they lowered my cruise fare 33percent and because we are within 60 days do sailing they won't let me get the lower fare and won't refund my deposit. They claim they can't and don't discount fares for a person if it goes down. So there is no incentive to book early any longer. Very disappointed with the way I have been told I am being un reasonable for wanting the lowest possible fare.

First of all, you resurrected over 4 years old thread for absolutely no reason, there is a very current one about the same matter going on.

Secondly, since you are already past the final payment, there is no more free cancellation (in all cases the free cancellation ends no later than 75 days before the cruise) and what NCL is saying is completely correct. You can however probably upgrade to higher cabin category with the difference of what you have paid with original price and what the price for the higher category currently is.

Also, there are numerous advantages booking early like choosing the cabin you want, being able to set vacation time way ahead, etc, etc. Price is not the only thing and on high season holiday cruises the prices are more likely to never drop like has happened to you now, so you need to factor all those things too when planning a cruise. Summer is not a prime time and prices are more likely to drop but that's just supply and demand. You wouldn't offer to pay more if your cabin's price would rise after you booked, or would you?

Second of all.....fare is important to me....I requested feeds on ncl and didn't pay attention to the date as last I checked NCL is still sailing, and weather my post was helpful to you or not someone may want to consider my perspective and recent experience too.

Second of all.....fare is important to me....I requested feeds on ncl and didn't pay attention to the date as last I checked NCL is still sailing, and weather my post was helpful to you or not someone may want to consider my perspective and recent experience too.

Ah, now through the web interface I see that your rant was your first message ever, that (probably coming here through a search engine) explains replying to an ancient thread when there are active ones too.

No harm done, but I still suggest that you'd familiarize yourself with other discussions here on NCL board so that there wouldn't be any more surprises to you on your cruise with NCL. This place is a well of knowledge and now that you've found it, use it. :)

But still, I'm sorry to say that your experience is nothing notable and what happened is common knowledge to anyone reading the contract/terms that they have agreed to. You have until final payment to cancel and get full refund (or rebook with lower price), but after the 75 day mark there are penalties to cancel even if the prices dropped because you have committed to a certain price already when booking the cruise and that's when your contract introduces the penalties for backing out.

As I said in my previous response, you still have the option to upgrade to a better cabin for little or no extra money. We have done this (upgraded from oceanview to cheapest suite for very little $$$) when prices dropped significantly after the final payment.

Most people understand that, when you purchase something at one price, if the price goes down at a later date you don't automatically get a refund. The car I bought last year costs a lot less now (new models are coming out) but I don't think the dealer is going to give me any money back.

Carnival has a fare category that guarantees you the lowest price up to departure although it's very restrictive. I don't know if any other cruiseline has something similar but, if you can live with the restrictions (I think it's non-refundable) it might be an option next time.

Don't you just HATE IT when you are reading a thread, only to find out it is 4 years old. Even worse - the topic being discussed is totally different than what the rest of the thread is about?

Wow.

Second of all.....fare is important to me........

Apparently, the "important" fare you agreed to was acceptable to you when you agreed to pay it. The fact that the cruise line is having a "fire sale" for the last few cabins does not mean they should discount the cabins for everyone.

There are a few active threads on the first page discussing this issue.

Thanks for posting this thread and link. I learned about the cancellation policy in depth. I see that the cancellation policy for suites is different than other cabins.

I read where it said a name change is subject to the same cancellation policy. So does this mean that 30 days before sailing someone drops out and a replacement is found, the full cancellation policy happens for that passenger? That is extreme if true.

Also, if you have a NCL insurance policy, doesnt that really prevent any of the tragedies mentioned?

Thanks again for posting. I learned something today :)

..Also, if you have a NCL insurance policy, doesnt that really prevent any of the tragedies mentioned?..

Some policies let you cancel for no reason. Others have specific reasons that are covered, and those that are not.

Thanks for posting this thread and link. I learned about the cancellation policy in depth. I see that the cancellation policy for suites is different than other cabins.

I read where it said a name change is subject to the same cancellation policy. So does this mean that 30 days before sailing someone drops out and a replacement is found, the full cancellation policy happens for that passenger? That is extreme if true.

Also, if you have a NCL insurance policy, doesnt that really prevent any of the tragedies mentioned?

Thanks again for posting. I learned something today :)

Me too David!!

Archived