Children on SS

duct tape

I didn't mean to get quoted, I am just saying how that answer went. I have not tried to get specific stats for specific sailings. I don't know if that would be given. It was a general response I got. On SS, the most children I have seen is 7, and that included almost all in the bracket of over 14, so it would be one or two that actually count under this program. My mind might change, but I have no current interest in doing Alaska on SS and definitely not Regent. Med is another story. I do think the port intesity will help. I just have not ever seen an unruly child on a luxury ship. However, I have heard of a couple of cruises in the past on SS with high numbers. A couple of cases were where Spanish groups tried to buy out the ship but couldn't get enough for a charter. The only unruly people we have seen have been adults. That was our first cruise where a couple of the men were drunk at the pool bar. One had to be physically carried to his cabin. If you go back to my 4/06 report, I mentioned being hit on by this person, as were many women. This guy was also falling asleep, falling into peoples' laps, etc. Also on Regent, on my Med cruise, the art auction people were on drugs and falling down drunk and breaking glass, trying to seduce each other in the back of the bar, etc. Both were a couple of people on a couple of cruises that I would say no more than a dozen people witnessed, but incidents all the same.

I do not like the sail free or cheap for kids for a number of reasons. Just the cabin logistics won't make it that convenient or desirable for many families, I hope.

The only problem with that is that it will then be too late to cancel for those of us on the 8-1 cruise.

I have spent the last couple of hours looking into Seabourn cruises that would coincide with our anniversary. They are all European (greatly increasing the airfare cost) but many of them are currently 50% off.

Of course then I would have to break the news to hubby that I have totally changed everything! He hates it when I do that.;)

He'll hate you more if screaming , spoiled brats ruin youir cruise. I would

I didn't mean to get quoted, I am just saying how that answer went. I have not tried to get specific stats for specific sailings. I don't know if that would be given. It was a general response I got. On SS, the most children I have seen is 7, and that included almost all in the bracket of over 14, so it would be one or two that actually count under this program. My mind might change, but I have no current interest in doing Alaska on SS and definitely not Regent. Med is another story. I do think the port intesity will help. I just have not ever seen an unruly child on a luxury ship. However, I have heard of a couple of cruises in the past on SS with high numbers. A couple of cases were where Spanish groups tried to buy out the ship but couldn't get enough for a charter. The only unruly people we have seen have been adults. That was our first cruise where a couple of the men were drunk at the pool bar. One had to be physically carried to his cabin. If you go back to my 4/06 report, I mentioned being hit on by this person, as were many women. This guy was also falling asleep, falling into peoples' laps, etc. Also on Regent, on my Med cruise, the art auction people were on drugs and falling down drunk and breaking glass, trying to seduce each other in the back of the bar, etc. Both were a couple of people on a couple of cruises that I would say no more than a dozen people witnessed, but incidents all the same.

I do not like the sail free or cheap for kids for a number of reasons. Just the cabin logistics won't make it that convenient or desirable for many families, I hope.

I am trying to figure out this post. Regent auction people were on drugs -- falling down drunk seducing each other. Spanish groups were trying to buy out the ship. Adults were unruly. Where did all of this occur????? This definitely would not be an incentive for me to change from Regent to Silversea.

Our experience with children on Regent are mixed. We did see children rolling down the isles of the theater during a a show. We had to alert Regent employees to stop this behavior. We also have seen children playing games on the Navigator. They were simply laughing and having fun -- unfortunately, the area they were in was the library and computer area. Regent Navigator is simply not built for children (nor is Silversea's current ships).

The answer to unruly children seems to be unruly adults. I have never witnessed adult behavior that was nearly as disruptive and obnoxious as the behavior of children on board. We will do anything possible to sail when children are not on board.

Trying to switch the blame for disruptive behavior to adults simply doesn't fly (IMO)

Judging from this thread, it seems that Seabourn could gain a lot of new cruisers, particularly for its Odyssey with balconies, if it accepted Venetian Society days into its own loyalty program.
Perhaps unfortunately, with three Odyssey class ships tripling the previous capacity of Seabourn, are you so sure that they will not experiment with the same down the road?

Wellseasoned,

It is with dismay & distress that l feel you may be right.

I love Silversea,

It has been, for many many years now my home & prefered cruiseline.

I don't want to change, l do want to stay.

I have lots of fond memory's, great friendships, amazing experiences and adventures that have led me to my loyalty for the SS brand and all the wonderfull people who have made it such a remarkable product.

But they seem to be changing Silversea into something that l do not want or desire. I seem to be representative of SS core client.

All the things that are important to me, that SS once represented are now changing.

From being a mainly exclusive Adult Only sophisticated experience - to a family package product with children. ( this is, in my opinion the worst)

From an all inclusive product- to now even more add on paid dinning venues ect (Spirit)

From reasonable solo rates for veranda's - to now the most expensive solo rates at the lux end of the market. (this is the only impediment to me cruising more)

Every other voyage used to be a venetian cruise, which kept those loyal repeaters returning at a good price- now less than 10 out of every 40/50 cruises are a Venetian cruise.

I am prepared to accept change that does not alter the core product. I understand that they need to make money and I allow for price rises when nessesary, within reason.

I would rather SS put the cruise price up a couple of hundred $$, stay all inclusive and child free, recognise their repeat loyal customers properly with decent price points and understand that your solo clients do not eat and drink for 2 people and are just as important to the business as couples are.

Rather than bit's of this and bit's of that here and there, this ship and that, this region with this rule and another different situation for another.

I say all of this with the greatest respect to Silversea, they are after all my home away from home.

As of this morining, I was told that there are 5 children booked (don't know the ages) and that the ship is currently booked at about 50% capacity. To quote "with only 106 days until the sail date, we don't anticipate many more bookings."

At only half capacity, should be able to avoid them. If only I had a crystal ball to predict future bookings in the next 106 days!

Half capacity with full staff would mean extra fabulous service tho.

That is exactly what we had - half full with full staff and 3 kids - 3 girls about age 10. I don't expect full staff to continue forever if these sailings continue to go half full, though.

Jackie, I was shifting no blame. I was saying I have never sailed with an unruly child but have sailed with unruly adults, and it was when large affinity groups were on board. They are more what we fear. If you go back to the timeframes of my reports, you will see those incidents were well documented. I have mentioned over the years these two incidents. I'm just playing devil's advocate about situations that can arise in general. I just have not seen an issue and don't except that now management has a perception problem. If you look at the schedules I uploaded this week, it was Easter, and there were activities daily, but there were 3 kids. Of course it was not discounted a bit nor advertised.

Just off the Cloud (San Juan to Barbados). I was very surprised to find about 15/20 kids on board. Most were with one large party of 3 families. Kids were running down the halls at times and jumping into the pool, etc. etc. VERY annoying. No one from Silversea would take the initiative to remind them or their parents that this was inappropriate. Most, if not all, folks I spoke to aboard the cruise were not happy about this. If Silversea is pursuing a course of adding more children to future cruises, it will have an impact on my choice of cruise lines. I pay a premium to sail with SS and part of that reason is to socialized with adults, not to be splashed by annoying kids at the pool.

Mark

Annapolis, MD

This is one reason they started this program, though it won't be on Wind and Cloud. Shadow and Whisper only will accomodate around 30 kids in the configurable suites. I was told once again today it is not going to go beyond that. That is a bit more than we all want, but still at this time, it is only advertised for summer.

Mark, I hope you and the other passengers made strong comments on the evaluation form. While on board, did anyone mention this to SS staff? Please contact SS and/or your TA. I would also send a formal letter to the Ft. Lauderdale office and to Italy. I am so sorry. This gets me very nervous about our Thanksgiving cruise. As they say here in the South, "I feel like I am buying a pig in a poke".

While on board, did anyone mention this to SS staff? Please contact SS and/or your TA.

I for one will not have any problem saying something to SS staff, parents and children if need be.

I have to decide by the end of this month whether to cancel or not. If I cancel by then I can either simply transfer to a different cruise or forfeit $400 if I choose to go elsewhere

As of this morining, I was told that there are 5 children booked (don't know the ages) and that the ship is currently booked at about 50% capacity. To quote "with only 106 days until the sail date, we don't anticipate many more bookings."

At only half capacity, should be able to avoid them. If only I had a crystal ball to predict future bookings in the next 106 days!

Half capacity with full staff would mean extra fabulous service tho.

There's the answer. HALF FULL.

With all of the berths across all the lines, and new ships being delivered all the time.. they are all trying to find ways to fill ships by expanding their appeal into new demographics...Like it or not, they can not make money half full.

If you read threads on other lines (especially those that are considered "above" mass market) there are similar complaints.. whether it be kids, deep discounting, cut backs....

It will take a bit for them to calculate the ROI on these various decisions, and determine if they were a success.. until then, there will be a lot of happy new cruisers/cruisers who try new lines, as well as unhappy "loyal" cruisers who thought they "knew" what their favorite brand delivered.. on SS and elsewhere.

It will be very interesting to watch the industry and see who wins, who loses, and who goes under...

Thanks, Debbie and yes people will keep children out of school. Another factor is the lack of trust for SS in general. I'm sure no one who booked Alaska or the Med. this summer thought this would happen. SS can decide (if Thanksgiving doesn't have the #'s) at the drop of a hat to do the same thing. I believe there are many nervous passengers out there on future SS sailings who are wondering if this nightmare can happen to them.

From Steve Tucker:

OK, you have spoken, and we have heard you!

We appreciate your comments and the passion you have about preserving the sophisticated, club-like atmosphere and ambiance aboard Silversea.

With that being said, we have decided to stop promoting the $199 Children's Programme.

We were quite surprised at the amount of attention and numerous posts that this subject has created. Since Silversea ships have no quad occupancy suites and a very limited number of triple occupancy suites, this program was never intended to generate a huge increase in the number of children that would normally sail on Silversea at any given time.

In any case, it is now our desire to revert back to the way we have previously handled the few children that do travel on Silversea. We will continue to ensure the best possible cruise experience for all our valued guests.

Thank you again to the readers of this board for your valuable input.

Steve Tucker

Vice President National Accounts & Eastern Region Sales, The Americas

Silversea Cruises

From Steve Tucker:

OK, you have spoken, and we have heard you!

We appreciate your comments and the passion you have about preserving the sophisticated, club-like atmosphere and ambiance aboard Silversea.

With that being said, we have decided to stop promoting the $199 Children's Programme.

We were quite surprised at the amount of attention and numerous posts that this subject has created. Since Silversea ships have no quad occupancy suites and a very limited number of triple occupancy suites, this program was never intended to generate a huge increase in the number of children that would normally sail on Silversea at any given time.

In any case, it is now our desire to revert back to the way we have previously handled the few children that do travel on Silversea. We will continue to ensure the best possible cruise experience for all our valued guests.

Thank you again to the readers of this board for your valuable input.

Steve Tucker

Vice President National Accounts & Eastern Region Sales, The Americas

Silversea Cruises

GREAT NEWS!!! Glad that you are listening to your loyal passengers! Thank you! :)

Host Dan

It is always delightful to read a cruise line responding to discussions on this board, whatever the topic. We should all thank Mr Tucker for his attentiveness.

Now, on a different topic, when is Silversea going to publish details on the newbuild Spirit, its cabin floor plans, real pictures of prefabricated cabins as well as the capacity and design of the restaurants and public rooms, etc., as they did for the Shadow/Whisper in 1999. Many people will likely be curious whether they are able to book soon or not!

It is always delightful to read a cruise line responding to discussions on this board, whatever the topic. We should all thank Mr Tucker for his attentiveness.

Now, on a different topic, when is Silversea going to publish details on the newbuild Spirit, its cabin floor plans, real pictures of prefabricated cabins as well as the capacity and design of the restaurants and public rooms, etc., as they did for the Shadow/Whisper in 1999. Many people will likely be curious whether they are able to book soon or not!

Thats for another thread- not this one. Please stay "on topic". :)

Host Dan

Archived