Children on SS

duct tape

Just called SS directly(my travel agent is out of town) and got a lady who informed me that she cannot tell me the # of children that will be aboard our june 7th alaska cruise on Shadow. (cannot give out that information) After a disastrous experience with a "family reunion" cruise on SeaDream last june almost ruined by tons of bratty kids taking over a very small ship, i am indeed a bit concerned about the potential for a similar experience on this cruise.

From Steve Tucker:

OK, you have spoken, and we have heard you!

We appreciate your comments and the passion you have about preserving the sophisticated, club-like atmosphere and ambiance aboard Silversea.

With that being said, we have decided to stop promoting the $199 Children's Programme.

We were quite surprised at the amount of attention and numerous posts that this subject has created. Since Silversea ships have no quad occupancy suites and a very limited number of triple occupancy suites, this program was never intended to generate a huge increase in the number of children that would normally sail on Silversea at any given time.

In any case, it is now our desire to revert back to the way we have previously handled the few children that do travel on Silversea. We will continue to ensure the best possible cruise experience for all our valued guests.

Thank you again to the readers of this board for your valuable input.

Steve Tucker

Vice President National Accounts & Eastern Region Sales, The Americas

Silversea Cruises

Thankfully someone from SS cares....way to go Steve..Discouraging ANY kids from cruising would be appealing. Kids have no place being on SS. Only selfish parents would consider ruining other people's good times.

Wow Steve, Thanks! I am impressed that a VP from the Cruise line would respond. We are going on our first SilverSeas Cruise on the PAII to Arctic Norway in July, and I am really looking forward to it. We prefer small ships (smallest we have been on was about 40 passengers in the Great Barrier Reef, and 80 in Galapagos) and as far as Mass Market like HAL. I have been drawn to SilverSeas by both the size and interesting and varied itineraries. My DH is a professional Chef and we have heard the food is pretty good too.

Btw, I really wanted to go to Greenland (Disko Bay, 7 night cruise in August), but there was some misinformation from your Rep and I did not know we could place a courtesy hold for 7 nights while we worked out the air, and a couple of days later the cabin was gone and air difficult (SAS canceled flights from CPH). Unfortunately you are not offering this cruise in 2010, but maybe in 2011 and with Iceland and Greenland, so that North American passengers can get there without flying through Copenhagen?

We also really want to go Seychelles and you aren't offering that either next year. December doesn't work for use because my DH has to work that month.

Anyway, thanks again for posting and we are looking forward to PAII.

Btw, I really wanted to go to Greenland (Disko Bay, 7 night cruise in August), but there was some misinformation from your Rep and I did not know we could place a courtesy hold for 7 nights while we worked out the air, and a couple of days later the cabin was gone and air difficult (SAS canceled flights from CPH). Unfortunately you are not offering this cruise in 2010, but maybe in 2011 and with Iceland and Greenland, so that North American passengers can get there without flying through Copenhagen?

We also really want to go Seychelles and you aren't offering that either next year. December doesn't work for use because my DH has to work that month.

There has been no mention of extra children on those ships/destinations in any case! So you are "safe".

Wow Steve, Thanks! I am impressed that a VP from the Cruise line would respond. We are going on our first SilverSeas Cruise on the PAII to Arctic Norway in July, and I am really looking forward to it. We prefer small ships (smallest we have been on was about 40 passengers in the Great Barrier Reef, and 80 in Galapagos) and as far as Mass Market like HAL. I have been drawn to SilverSeas by both the size and interesting and varied itineraries. My DH is a professional Chef and we have heard the food is pretty good too.

Just love the way you are already planning your next unique cruise, before going to Arctic Norway in July and having just returned from Antarctica. :)

I do similiar, which drives my husband crazy, as he hates to commit far in advance. He knows if he shows a glimmer of interest, I'm away.

So the cruise industry needs to understand many of us are still cruising, just not booking so far ahead.

Just love the way you are already planning your next unique cruise, before going to Arctic Norway in July and having just returned from Antarctica. :)

I do similiar, which drives my husband crazy, as he hates to commit far in advance. He knows if he shows a glimmer of interest, I'm away.

So the cruise industry needs to understand many of us are still cruising, just not booking so far ahead.

Bon Voyage. Those itinerary and destinations are likely to be mostly adults only.

We will be on one of the cruises listed and I voiced my concern to my TA.

She emailed me this morning to say that SS are withdrawing the children's offer.

She also stated that the international representatives of SS (not USA) had not been impressed with the promotion as it "cheapens the brand and makes the consumer undervalue the product".

Thank you SS for listening.:D

I just wanted to revise this comment as I looked again and the Voyages list does not show the itinerary on PAII from August 13 for over a month so maybe they are still considering Greenland/Iceland etc., and if so will have a better alternative to get there vs flying Greenland Air from CPH.

Archived