Children on SS

duct tape

We recently returned from a cruise aboard the cloud. This was our second cruise with SS after many days with Regent. This had been reserved about a year in advance. Several months before our cruise our TA had informed us that a huge group was going but SS had told her that she had been assured that they would not be a problem, blah blah blah. It turned out that we were eventually told that 18 people including us and 3 fabulous kids (I might add) were the only non groupers. First of all, we were advised that formal nights had been cancelled and I was furious as it is the one week of the year when I get to forget my everyday clothes. For those of us who choose to cruise with these luxury lines, I hardly think that a possstible extra charge for a suitcase would be a dealbreaker. While I can't say that the group was sloppy, the informal nights were not enforced as far as jackets went as were told it would... the muster drill was a drunken disaster that was completely out of control.... we were told that early boarding was not available so we spent a lot of time hanging around waiting to board only to finally board (at 3) very easily and they were all on board. The ship was perfect as usual and the staff outstanding but the hot tubs were often filled with men and cigars...all the shaded tables by the pool grill were taken most of the time with ongoing card games and at night the dance club was so bad as to be a joke. This was a late middle aged group..... not 20 somethings and my impression was that they were a pretty well heeled group. At any rate, while wild kids can certainly create a problem and I have no problem instantly demanding that the situation be rectified, I felt somewhat sorry for the overworked staff and annoyed that some of the SS rules or traditions were not adhered to. Along with the kids, I think we should get a better idea of what size groups are going to be on board because that can cause an impact also. Thinking back....we had been signed up for a galley tour and confirmed by our TA and her welcome aboard gifts that she sent were never delivered to our cabin and she was embarrased and has her Amex confirmation for that too.

Fizzy, great post on potential negative impact groups have on non group cruisers..suggest you have your TA write a forceful letter to SS Guest Relations outlining the adverse impact this group had on your enjoyment of your SS cruise...we will not cruise (we have our TA check if the sailing has a group/size) when a group exceeds 5% of the ship's pax capacity.

good news for all of us on the Aug 1st cruise to Alaska;my T.A. checked with SS this a. m. and there were only 3 rugrats on board. :) Mush !

Only 3 SO FAR. That is good news, but we still have 3 1/2 months for people to book. Were you able to find out what percentage is booked so far? I am on that cruise also - if I don't cancel.

On the bright side - maybe anyone considering bringing kids will read this and think "I don't want my little precious around all those vicious child haters!":):)

Only 3 SO FAR. That is good news, but we still have 3 1/2 months for people to book. Were you able to find out what percentage is booked so far? I am on that cruise also - if I don't cancel.

On the bright side - maybe anyone considering bringing kids will read this and think "I don't want my little precious around all those vicious child haters!":):)

IF you do go be sure to tell the loudiest bawdiest stories & jokes when the kids are present, so the parents will get the idea the kids aren't welcome. You'd be doing the rest of us a BIG favor

I specifically have not sailed Regent in the past few years due to their robust kids program, now that some of the management has leaked over to Silversea, I guess the Seabourn Odessey will become my new favorite ship. I will sail on August 18th on the Shadow, if its a comprimised experience, Seabourn marries up with my existing 2010 Silversea cruises nicely and will require a short series of calls to move the bookings.

I really don't want to cancel my cruise. I have been looking forward to it, however, I also don't want my trip compromised if there are a bunch of rude kids aboard. I do not have a problem telling children and/or parents to shape up. Unfortunately, it usually has little effect. There are not many days at sea on this cruise, so I would think I could usually avoid them during the day - on excursions, etc. The meal issue is quite different - will they be dressed formally? Even the very best behaved child under the age of about 6 or 7 is simply out of place at an adult meal, much less a formal one. Face it, children fidget, are loud, spill food, etc. it is part of being a child and is perfectly fine in the CORRECT SETTING. Not at fine dining adult meals.

I am really torn about this. SS is not an inexpensive vacation, I shouldn't have to worry about whether I will regret it and wish that I had spent my money on some other option.:(

Here's Debbie's quote from the Sticky about what Steve Tucker said

on a conference call onboard yesterday....

"Steve can speak for himself here on the boards, but he mentioned the selected sailings were ones that had been pulling in 20 to 30 children already and they just wanted to have counselors for them."

At $199 each l would expect a lot more to be taking up the offer between now and then as well. That's a very cheap babysitting service SS is now offering.

I did read Debbie's sticky thread and posted the above after reading it. I generally tend to be an optimist and I want to think "oh surely there can't be all that many kids??" But I am definitely worried.

They stated "20 or 30 kids already" - I have never seen SS posts that referred to that many kids on a cruise, so I can't help but think that they are "creating facts" to support their position.

Anybody out there ever been on a SS cruise with "20 or 30" kids? During summer or holidays when more kids would be available?

The biggest issue boils down to the behavior (or lack thereof) of the kids in question.

It would be nice to hear a response from someone at SS. DH just landed a great new job, and we are thinking of replacing our upcoming Celebrity cruise with SS. We know it is a HUGE difference in class and money, but we exect kids on Celebrity, not on SilverSea. That may be our turning point. SilverSea can gain our business for sure if they cut out the discounts for children.

I am still lurking on this thread due to the subject matter. It sounds like Silversea may be looking at this as a way to fill up their ships since very few cruises on any of the luxury lines are sailing full. Reading all the posts gave me an idea (not that my idea will help the situtation any):confused:

If Silversea designated a certain percentage of their cruises as "All Adult", do you feel they would get more passengers on these sailings? We certainly would be interested. Management seems set on having their children cruises -- just maybe they will see the benefit of the adult cruises as well.

I am still lurking on this thread due to the subject matter. It sounds like Silversea may be looking at this as a way to fill up their ships since very few cruises on any of the luxury lines are sailing full. Reading all the posts gave me an idea (not that my idea will help the situtation any):confused:

If Silversea designated a certain percentage of their cruises as "All Adult", do you feel they would get more passengers on these sailings? We certainly would be interested. Management seems set on having their children cruises -- just maybe they will see the benefit of the adult cruises as well.

I was thinking along the same lines. Adults Only and Children Welcome Cruises seem to be a good compromise.

I really don't want to cancel my cruise. I have been looking forward to it, however, I also don't want my trip compromised if there are a bunch of rude kids aboard. I do not have a problem telling children and/or parents to shape up. Unfortunately, it usually has little effect. There are not many days at sea on this cruise, so I would think I could usually avoid them during the day - on excursions, etc. The meal issue is quite different - will they be dressed formally? Even the very best behaved child under the age of about 6 or 7 is simply out of place at an adult meal, much less a formal one. Face it, children fidget, are loud, spill food, etc. it is part of being a child and is perfectly fine in the CORRECT SETTING. Not at fine dining adult meals.

I am really torn about this. SS is not an inexpensive vacation, I shouldn't have to worry about whether I will regret it and wish that I had spent my money on some other option.:(

If like me, you dislike children , especially unruly ones then in my opinion you'd be foolish to spend a considerable amount of money and to be unhappy.

Since this thread has evolved into the "major headaches" category, I'll add an amen to the potential of large groups to cause trouble. On Regent's Paul Gauguin in 2005 a group of 169 sales incentive folks boarded the ship, 169 of a total of 296 passengers. On sailaway night Regent reserved the main dining room for the exclusive use of the group. Another group of 30 inhabited one alternative restaurant. Room service was closed down. The rest of us were directed to the lunch buffet where we stood in line to scoop Saturday's mid-day lunch offerings on to our plates. I've never been so angry. To a lesser degree the group continued to annoy throughout the seven day cruise. When they hung out on the pool deck it became functionally off limits to the rest of us. One day they actually succeeded in reserving the ship's tender for an hour for their exclusive use. As a consequence if we know a large grooup will be on board a smaller ship we won't book. Period. Pat

Colonel Wes, I think the "kids" issue makes the "smoking" issue a walk in the park. As an on/off smoker and hubby a smoker, we are extremely considerate. Never smoke inside our suite and will not smoke on verandah if our "neighbors" are outside. Even if we are on the smoking side of the pool and it is crowded, we will just take our cocktails and walk to the fantail to smoke. Or, we ask if it will bother anyone. I have never, ever had a parent ask if I mind their screaming, running, splashing, unruly brat.

PS: Since you live in Atlanta and we are Douglasville, we had a friend's 40th anniv. dinner ruined at the Ritz by a family who never taught their children manners. We didn't order yet so we left. We were told there was "nothing they could do". Yes, dinner time is a major concern for us. I think dinner times for families would be the way to go.

Bill, remember that this promo runs from 4/8 till 5/31. I think it would behoove you to check again in June. Good Luck!

The only problem with that is that it will then be too late to cancel for those of us on the 8-1 cruise.

I have spent the last couple of hours looking into Seabourn cruises that would coincide with our anniversary. They are all European (greatly increasing the airfare cost) but many of them are currently 50% off.

Of course then I would have to break the news to hubby that I have totally changed everything! He hates it when I do that.;)

I called silversea direct today(i urge all of you to call) ; really didn't get a really straight answer; they said there were only a few cabins left where there could be a 3rd or 4th as a rolloway in the smaller cabins just wouldn't work; told them exactly how i felt about this policy. so thats where it stands ;i dunnow !:mad:

What do you yell when a man falls overboard? "Man overboard!!!!"

What do you yell when a kid falls overboard? "Full Steam Ahead!!!!!"

Before I get flamed it's just a joke, however appropriate to this thread.

Happened to see a quote today that really made me laugh, in light of this thread.

From the comedian Rita Rudner......

My husband and I are either going to get a puppy or have a baby. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or our lives.

Due to this bait and switch, it would be good business if SS gave a "dispensation" for cancelling because their new "kid policy". Perhaps if you call SS (supervisor or mgr.) or your TA they could give you an answer and I would request it in writing. This is just very wrong to do this after y'all have booked. Especially when most of you would not if you knew this at booking or when you made your final payment. Big thumbs down to SS.:(

Archived