Children on SS

duct tape

From Steve Tucker:

OK, you have spoken, and we have heard you!

With that being said, we have decided to stop promoting the $199 Children's Programme.

In any case, it is now our desire to revert back to the way we have previously handled the few children that do travel on Silversea. We will continue to ensure the best possible cruise experience for all our valued guests.

Steve Tucker

Vice President National Accounts & Eastern Region Sales, The Americas

Silversea Cruises

Let them know (ie our friends) That SS is not going to actively market to children and is reverting to its previous approach.. the kids approach had meant they were no longer considering SS for their cruise...and my fear was correct...they finalised their cruise and land content on friday

Good. Also, just for clarification, it appears that not only is the newly proposed children's program for the Shadow/Whisper cancelled, the previous mention of children for the newbuild Spirit's "daytime" activities on the Silversea website has disappeared too http://www.silversea.com/silverspirit.aspx?id=1400&page_id=silverspirit So it is now complete reversion back to the traditional Silversea atmosphere. Am I right?

Sorry for the delay in this post, I have just returned from a weekend away.

Wow!

Things seem to have done an about face since l was away.

Thankyou Silversea!

Steve,

I very much appreciate your team having a closer look at this and deciding to stay with the Status Quo.

Please thank everyone who participated in this decision in house.

Whilst we all accept that there will be the odd children onboard from time to time, we hope that Silversea will do everything in it's power to restrict these numbers to the bare minimum. Just as Silversea has always done.

Silversea has never been, nor should ever be, a child friendly product.

If parents choose, against all advice, to book and bring their Kid's then they are entierly responsible and accountable for their entertainment and their appropriate behavior.

It should not be left to Silversea's wonderfull staff and crew.

The public should always know up front, Silversea is not for children!

Thankyou for keeping me loyal.

You had me really concerned there for a while.

Congradulations! on a decision and a job well done.

Now, all SS has to do, is take a fresh look at those Veranda Solo Sup's fleetwide and you will have me back onboard very quickly in no time.

I need a nice long vacation!!

TA to cancel. We are fine with some children on a cruise and always hope they are well behaved, but we will NOT book cruises that actively promote Childrens Programs. We have had too many children in our lives. Thanks Silverseas for being responsive.

If they indeed have 30 kids booked as I read somewhere, then I'd hope they have a children's program. Just don't mention it anywhere so not to invite more family bookings. If I'm one of the unfortunate who finds himself with 30 children, I'd want them entertained somewhere out of sight. There's nothing worse than bored youngsters.

I think it should be the company policy to have a youth counselor on board everytime there're more than four kids on board. Just don't tell anyone, including TA's, not on web-site, not on brochures, and absolutely no discount for children. Having a youth coordinator enhance cruising experience of everyone.

Hello there,

This is my first post having just joined the forum but I've been a 'lurker' for many months.

I've so glad to see that SS have listened to everyone's comments regarding children and reverted back to the way it was.

There's been three occasions where one or two children have been on the SS cruises we were on, and although they were no bother, I do think that they shouldn't be there. As mentioned in several messages, there are plenty of child friendly cruises companies which are more suitable for them.

If SS are getting lots of requests from people wanting to bring their children, why don't they make just one of the small ships (Cloud or Wind) child friendly and they are only allowed on that ship. That would then make the rest of the ships adults only.

Anyway it was nice to say hello to everyone.

Gertie

Gertieprickle,

Your idea is a nice one but the problem with it as I see it is that each of SS's ships travels in a different area of the world and designating one ship for children effectively eliminates certain itineraries from those who don't want to sail with children. A line like SS needs uniformity and consistency in all its ships so it is one product where you know you will receive the same level of service and the same ambience no matter which ship you sail.

One of the things not mentioned on this thread is that "children" is not a very narrowly-defined word. Those of us who have raised children know that a three year old is very different from a five year old, who is very different from and so on through thirteen year olds and so on. The concept of a "youth program" handling these varied age groups on a small Silversea ship with very few available spaces is mind-boggling. I am so happy that Silversea has seen the light, not just for the adults, but for the various age groups of children! The current system of parents/nannies dealing with the relatively few children on board has worked very well in our experience. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yep, my now 17 yo is considered by SS to be a Youth..but tbh he is anything but and adult

My 14 yo I well consider to be a Youth target but she is much more mature sometimes than older brother..

NO WAY would i even think to put my 9yo nephew on a SS cruise, yet my daughter at th same age would have played the game...and yes this is the way she would have considered it..lapped up playing formal adult...

I suppose this boils down to the ancient thread ...at waht age do children become human;)

That silversea has changed there mind about being children friendly. Not saying children are not welcome but no special programs as proposed. I guess the feed back was to much for management.

No not really,these type of ships do not lend themselves to being child friendly so they attract a non child sort of clientele.There are plenty of ships for all types of cruiser.

First of all, I am impressed that this thread is still going! Second, I wonder what goes through the minds of people when they do decide to bring their children on board? Do they just not understand what goes on on a luxury cruise? Do they assume that someone will be there to entertain their children? Are their children bored out of their minds and the parents just do not care? I am not asking to be rude or upset anyone, but I honestly want to understand what parents think when they bring their kids on SS??

I've seen children on Silversea ranging from maybe five years old to teenagers in large family groups in different itinararies. Every one of them was very well behaved. I was so impressed that I complimented the parents. Behavior of children all comes back to the parenting. I know that not all parents are this good, and I was just lucky I suppose.

Mokaheena,

we took out then amost 12yo and 15yo on an SS baltic in 2006. They dressed formally for dinner and i think behaved totally as adults.

They had had a few test runs on 5 star island that did not ctaer well for children and had eaten several times in michelen hat restaurants (they do like good food) It was their choice as to whether they came or not...they needed to fly unaccompanied from Australia to london to get the cruise!

We chose not to go on the mass tours (mostly in deference to other guests) other than a cycling tour. They really enjoyed trivia and after the first session when the 12yo answered a question about pride and prejudice (the novel and not the movie) became valued members of their trivia team

Was there any time when they felt pressured or didn't enjoy themselves...once only..when we made them eat in the cabin so we could do a dinner for 2!

LOL each time an SS brochure comes in I get the harassment on why we can't go...

And as Simon has said...it takes A LOT of hard work to get them to the human stage..expectations and training about what is acceptable behaviour, which piece of cutlery to use, suitable dress for an occasion, polite conversation and most of all to enjoy themsleves in the right way.

Maybe I was blessed, they like playing adults, but we also gave them time on shore to run wild in a park, ride a push bike, play on the equipment and enjoy the rides in the theme park.

And it aint about a specific age...some adults can be totally disagreeable to be stuck on a cruise ship with...

Mokaheena,

we took out then amost 12yo and 15yo on an SS baltic in 2006. They dressed formally for dinner and i think behaved totally as adults.

They had had a few test runs on 5 star island that did not ctaer well for children and had eaten several times in michelen hat restaurants (they do like good food) It was their choice as to whether they came or not...they needed to fly unaccompanied from Australia to london to get the cruise!

We chose not to go on the mass tours (mostly in deference to other guests) other than a cycling tour. They really enjoyed trivia and after the first session when the 12yo answered a question about pride and prejudice (the novel and not the movie) became valued members of their trivia team

Was there any time when they felt pressured or didn't enjoy themselves...once only..when we made them eat in the cabin so we could do a dinner for 2!

LOL each time an SS brochure comes in I get the harassment on why we can't go...

And as Simon has said...it takes A LOT of hard work to get them to the human stage..expectations and training about what is acceptable behaviour, which piece of cutlery to use, suitable dress for an occasion, polite conversation and most of all to enjoy themsleves in the right way.

Maybe I was blessed, they like playing adults, but we also gave them time on shore to run wild in a park, ride a push bike, play on the equipment and enjoy the rides in the theme park.

And it aint about a specific age...some adults can be totally disagreeable to be stuck on a cruise ship with...

Thank you for your reply. I wish there were more parents out there like yourself! I guess your children are a different "breed" than the ones on the Mass Market cruise lines!

Thank you for your reply. I wish there were more parents out there like yourself! I guess your children are a different "breed" than the ones on the Mass Market cruise lines!

I'm going to get a lot of heat on this, but you generally get a different class of people, children included, on luxuary lines. That's the way it is.

I have just returned from 2 weeks in Hong kong on a business trip and managed to spend a couple of days sightseeing with an old friend who works onboard for SS in a senior role.

Although just on an off contract period, he said many staff onboard were breathing a sigh of relief with the SS change of heart re: the Children's program issue.

His exact words to me were "once the gates are open they cannot be closed"

So it seems the same sort of feelings were being held on both sides of the fence.

I'm in opinion with your friend. I believe it would have been a nightmare for the staff. There is absolutely no way on the Shadow, Wind or Cloud they could accom. the Children's Program w/o disrupting other passengers. Just the staff fending off the passenger complaints and trying to move folks to othe suites ( to escape the screaming baby, noisy kids, etc.) would be a logistics nightmare.

Archived