Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

Come on..The title of this site is "Cruise Critic" not "Cruise Love in" or "Cruise Happyness" Given this the ones who are not satisfied are documenting their discontent on "Cruise Critic". If someone wants to be a spokesman for the line or to express their "happyness" they should start a site that is titled "Cruise Happy Person" or something to that effect. Otherwise leave this website to the "Cruise Critics"

I think you need to do a little more research on the intention and definition of this site.

And I agree with you about London. I had an amazing time when we visited there last October. I also can't say enough about the British people. I found them to be very friendly, polite, helpful, and for city folks they didn't seem to be in a very big rush to get anywhere.

I look forward to having the chance to visit there again in the future.

Ha - you can't all get round me that way!!! Long live Londinium!!!

Come on..The title of this site is "Cruise Critic" not "Cruise Love in" or "Cruise Happyness" Given this the ones who are not satisfied are documenting their discontent on "Cruise Critic". If someone wants to be a spokesman for the line or to express their "happyness" they should start a site that is titled "Cruise Happy Person" or something to that effect. Otherwise leave this website to the "Cruise Critics"

This is a forum - a place to exchange views!!!

If this was a 'hate' site it wouldn't exist, as no travel companies would sponsor it!!!

It seems to be the same as some people's cup is always half-full and some are half-empty!! Some quite vitriolic people on here have surprised me by considering the RCCL offer to be reasonable - pity just a few others don't see it that way. A few still just don't get it - even in this modified form, ITS STILL THE BEST LOYALTY SCHEME ON THE HIGH SEAS!!!!

Hello? Hello? Anyone in?

We have taken well over 75 cruises and up until recently over 40 consecutive with RCCL. When RCCL abandoned "combinability" and Carnival Corp did not, we decided to try Princess again ( not having sailed on them for many years being loyal to Royal). Unlike many commentors here, we have the cruise experience to support us. Simply put, irrespective of personal opinions regarding food etc, objectively they are far more similar in basic product than different. As important, the cruise prices are oftem significantly lower on Princess for similar itineraries and with "combinability" this difference is even greater. On Princess there are self serve ($1) laundromat washer/dryer to permit us to carry less. Also although there is no concierge lounge, one can buy lots of drinks of all sorts with the money saved and with over 5 cruises one receives 250 free internet minutes. In all, there is no doubt in our minds that if traveling with children, the newer ships are far superior with wave rider etc. Without children, we suggest forget loyalty and choose a cruise first based on time available, itinerary and TOTAL cost.

Rubbish - I have had my differences with RCCL in the past!! The CL on the Brilliance recently, was an eye-opener. Diamonds were barred. The first four nights were very nice in the CL. Then I spoke to the powers-that-be and said that it was against Corporate Policy and it was decided to allow Diamonds. Total and utter chaos!! Even standing in line outside at 4.30pm to get in at 5. The staff asked them to do this in order that they could set up!!!! It was awful and I felt sorry for the staff and Suite Guests who could not get in, although they had paid through the nose for this amenity - supposedly an exclusive lounge. They do not pay to get sent upstairs to a different place - they pay for the CL. The Diamonds now have their own Lounge - there ARE free drinks - just not the ones they want!!

Then there is the credit crunch - this Company has to pay for Oasis etc. and survive through a slump in demand - and you want them to give free drinks to thousands of cruisers a week? Many of these people have taken short cruises in inside cabins very cheaply - not even big spenders!!

Its annoying, irritating, but is it worth getting so very wound up about? I am beginning to think that people lose their marbles when it comes to cruising!! In fact, I know they do!! Its proved here - although I see proof on many cruises!! Fist-fights at Trivia and in the card room - that's what these threads remind me of!!!

Well Said --- Bravo !

BTW We just bookes a JS on the Majesty in Sept. Go figure, a NY resident 'Special Pricing" and now with a Diamond club! It doesn't get better than this. :D

Hellosailor, we actually will be back in the UK this fall. We are spending two nights in London after 3 nights in Bruges. We plan on arriving around noonish on the 18th of November at St Pancras station on the Eurostar. Then a tube jaunt down to the Marble Arch, and a short hike to the Grosvenor House Marriott for a couple of nights. We plan on taking in a couple of plays on the West End, and then scooting out of town on the train to Bath for a couple of nights, then a one night in Salisbury, before the final train ride into Soton to catch the Independence of the Seas for the TA. Our English friends (from Little Baddow outside of Chelmsford) and a couple from here will be joining us on the TA. I heard on the satelite radio today that Pete Townsend was going to turn Quadrophenia into a musical ala Tommy, and I am hopeful it will be going when when we are there! Any idea about that. In the day time while in Londonium we plan on visiting the historical tourist site of Selfridges and other nearby historical sites of similar nature. Ouch.... I do have my Oyster card to be a frugal as possible to make up for the historical sites listed before and those cheap theatre tickets. :D

Speaking of loyalty programs... I stay for business and pleasure for years to get free hotel stays while in London... We are staying at the Grosvenor house this year instead of the Park Lane Marriott, just next door. Do you know that Marriott has the nerve to increase the number of points needed to stay there from 70,000 in 2007 to 90,000 in 2009. That would be a 28.5% increase... what are they thinking in these difficult economic times. How thoughtless. I think, I will start sending junk mail to the corporate offices, The Bill O'Reilley show, David Letterman, Jay Leno, Anderson Cooper 360, Chris Matthews Screwball, Oprah, and Entertainment tonight. Doncha think that is a brillant plan?:rolleyes:

jc

Hellosailor, we actually will be back in the UK this fall. We are spending two nights in London after 3 nights in Bruges. We plan on arriving around noonish on the 18th of November at St Pancras station on the Eurostar. Then a tube jaunt down to the Marble Arch, and a short hike to the Grosvenor House Marriott for a couple of nights. We plan on taking in a couple of plays on the West End, and then scooting out of town on the train to Bath for a couple of nights, then a one night in Salisbury, before the final train ride into Soton to catch the Independence of the Seas for the TA. Our English friends (from Little Baddow outside of Chelmsford) and a couple from here will be joining us on the TA. I heard on the satelite radio today that Pete Townsend was going to turn Quadrophenia into a musical ala Tommy, and I am hopeful it will be going when when we are there! Any idea about that. In the day time while in Londonium we plan on visiting the historical tourist site of Selfridges and other nearby historical sites of similar nature. Ouch.... I do have my Oyster card to be a frugal as possible to make up for the historical sites listed before and those cheap theatre tickets. :D

Speaking of loyalty programs... I stay for business and pleasure for years to get free hotel stays while in London... We are staying at the Grosvenor house this year instead of the Park Lane Marriott, just next door. Do you know that Marriott has the nerve to increase the number of points needed to stay there from 70,000 in 2007 to 90,000 in 2009. That would be a 28.5% increase... what are they thinking in these difficult economic times. How thoughtless. I think, I will start sending junk mail to the corporate offices, The Bill O'Reilley show, David Letterman, Jay Leno, Anderson Cooper 360, Chris Matthews Screwball, Oprah, and Entertainment tonight. Doncha think that is a brillant plan?:rolleyes:

jc

Word of warning if you're going to send junk mail you could end up in court !!

jj......

BTW We just bookes a JS on the Majesty in Sept. Go figure, a NY resident 'Special Pricing" and now with a Diamond club! It doesn't get better than this. :D

Perhaps I'm misreading this, but are you aware Majesty has neither a concierge nor a diamond lounge?

Word of warning if you're going to send junk mail you could end up in court !!

jj......

Well, with your vast knowledge of the US legal system, you had better warn your buddy Sealord....:eek:

jc<---- thinks he better change his hotel, now that his buddy jj knows about his comings and goings.... Can't be to careful these days with peace protesters.:p

jc

Now that IS funny!! What a great idea - I am sure those presenters will give it prime time!!! How dare they do that to you!! Where is their loyalty? Are you going to bombard them with e-mails? Perhaps you can Twitter incessantly!! Oops, don't want the Cubics to get ideas!!!:D:D

Can you just imagine Letterman's Top Five?

1. Only free wine and champagne - outrageous.

2. Have to drink in a Lounge separate from Buffy, Muffy and Tuffy!!

3. Get discounted drinks - dreadful.

4. Breakfast near to the Windjammer - oh the shame.

5. Concierge only available in the morning - how on earth do I make a

restaurant reservation?

Oh, sorry - confusing your problems with the one here!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queen and Charter Member Royal PITA

Perhaps I'm misreading this, but are you aware Majesty has neither a concierge nor a diamond lounge?

Not currently, but after the September 1 change, all the ships that don't have a Diamond Lounge will have the Diamond Happy Hour... This post with confirmation from AG was made early in the thread:

The way I see it, D, D+ and suite guests now get to enjoy a daily VIP event on ships where there is no Concierge Lounge, (specifically Majesty, Monarch, Vision, Grandeur, Rhapsody) This is an extra benefit to members and an added cost to RCI, I would think.

I was wondering if that was true, and therefore emailed Mr. Goldstein,below is his response.

"Thank you Melanie. The VIP party-type area in a lounge will be available on Voyager-class, Radiance-class, Vision-class, Monarch and Majesty. Suite and Diamond Plus guests will be welcome there too although we would expect them to go to the Concierge Lounge on those ships that have them.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

My opinion, this is more than a compromise. They have really listened to their loyal members and made every effort to please.

Melanie

jc

Sounds a great plan - just hope you don't have too much luggage to cope with the stairs at Marble Arch Tube!!! Well, if you have any spare time we would love to see you two if we are in the country, that is!! Selfridges is our local store and from our garden we can see Marble Arch 100 yards away!! So you will be our neighbours!!! Know nothing about Pete Townsend's plans I am afraid. Sorry - he's just not on my bf list!!!

Are you including Primark in your list of historical sites? Ann Summers is in the area also!! Opposite Primark!!:D:D

Sounds a great plan - just hope you don't have too much luggage to cope with the stairs at Marble Arch Tube!!! Well, if you have any spare time we would love to see you two if we are in the country, that is!! Selfridges is our local store and from our garden we can see Marble Arch 100 yards away!! So you will be our neighbours!!! Know nothing about Pete Townsend's plans I am afraid. Sorry - he's just not on my bf list!!!

Are you including Primark in your list of historical sites? Ann Summers is in the area also!! Opposite Primark!!:D:D

Goodnight all!!!

We travel light. So, those on the cruise may be disappointed to see me in the same tuxedo for 3 formal nights. We have negotiated those stairs before with luggage. Piece of cake. Although I did prefer the walk to the Park Lane Marriott.

Primark, must be acquired taste. I found it packed and not worth the effort. A bit too hectic for touistica type historical sites. :D

jc

But as of Sept 1 it will have "Nightly Happy Hour" and if it doesn't.... Who Cares. It was a great price and we got the Diamond discount. One week later and is is $500 more :cool:

But as of Sept 1 it will have "Nightly Happy Hour" and if it doesn't.... Who Cares. It was a great price and we got the Diamond discount. One week later and is is $500 more :cool:

Good attitude! Go and have a great time. Majesty is still a great cruise.

Hi Sealord - become quite fond of you and doggie - but am beginning to be a little concerned for your sanity!!! You are no longer qualified for free drinks - we got that 65 posts ago - do you really think that with all that is going on in the world, your loss of free drinkies will make national headlines?

Thank you for my new title!! Make sure that you bow down and treat me with all due respect in the future!!!

In fact, I think you need a break - in the brig of the Marie Celeste!! Hehehehe!! By the time we finish this thread, I will probably join you!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

QUEEN and Charter Member Royal PITA

Every time I explain what I am angry about, you complain that I'm repeating the same old stuff ... but you obviously have not read what was written. So you win ... if you care what I am angry about, and I know you don't, go find the past posts and 'read' them.

Sorry about the second item as well ... some of us don't bow.

The national headlines thing ... hmm. Do you remember how long Nancy Grace and CNBC was hung up on the the George the IVth story ... you know, the guy who went overboard from the Brilliance? It is amazing what trivia interests the media ... like thousands of cruise passengers getting caught in a 'bait and switch'.;)

Every time I explain what I am angry about, you complain that I'm repeating the same old stuff ... but you obviously have not read what was written. So you win ... if you care what I am angry about, and I know you don't, go find the past posts and 'read' them.

Sorry about the second item as well ... some of us don't bow.

The national headlines thing ... hmm. Do you remember how long Nancy Grace and CNBC was hung up on the the George the IVth story ... you know, the guy who went overboard from the Brilliance? It is amazing what trivia interests the media ... like thousands of cruise passengers getting caught in a 'bait and switch'.;)

Seriously dude?

I mean seriously?

This is in any way similar to a newlywed mysteriously disappearing into the Med?

Seriously?

I think you must have gotten some messed up free drinks tonight.

Seriously ...

... seriously?

This is in any way similar to a newlywed mysteriously disappearing into the Med?

Seriously? ...

"It is amazing what trivia interests the media ... ";)

"Seriously ... who is being 'serious' here.;)

We travel light. So, those on the cruise may be disappointed to see me in the same tuxedo for 3 formal nights. We have negotiated those stairs before with luggage. Piece of cake.Hmm... does your wifey agree? Although I did prefer the walk to the Park Lane Marriott.Not exactly taxing - although the Grosvenor House is a little further down!! Be careful with taxis though, as there is a Grosvenor Hotel - always say Park Lane. The only criticism I have heard, although it was a few years ago, was that they didn't have ice machines!! Maybe they have now. Totally different type of hotel, as you know. Be interesting to see if you like it.

Primark, must be acquired taste. I found it packed and not worth the effort. A bit too hectic for touistica type historical sites. :D

jc

You missed that one jc - Primark - doesn't it remind you of something? Concierge Lounge on transatlantics - manic!!??:eek: Ann Summers you have ignored - quite rightly so!! Disgusting:D Have you found Marylebone High Street yet? A few hundred yards behind ye olde Selfridges - very trendy. Some very nice restaurants also!! The Wallace Collection close by is well worth a visit if you haven't been there. The restaurant is very nice for lunch as well. (Overpriced though!). My faves there are The Laughing Cavalier (Frans Hals) and The Swing (Fragonard). And of course, the wonderful porcelain collection. So nice that its a Museum, but situated in an old mansion in the heart of London. Then there is Westfield, which probably won't interest you - a fantastic new shopping centre at Shepherds Bush.

Archived