Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

Originally Posted by constantcruiser

She immediately went into a long defensive monologue about how RCI management is honest & would never try to deceive their loyal customers (interestingly, I had never hinted that I thought they weren't!).

I don't doubt that you were polite to the young lady that called, but I find this next statement of yours to be in direct conflict with the highlighted portion above....

Quote:

I politely reminded her that Goldstein first announced the reason for denying diamonds access to the CL was to avoid overcrowding...and only after RCI was flooded with complaints, did he come back and say they've suddenly found space for anyone who is willing to pay 75% of the regular price of drinks.

If you were talking to me, I would have definitely taken this as an indication that you thought they were being less than honest....

I simply stated the facts about what RCI management has done...if that brought her to the conclusion that I think they were being dishonest with their customers, she might just be right!

She immediately went into a long defensive monologue about how RCI management is honest & would never try to deceive their loyal customers (interestingly, I had never hinted that I thought they weren't!).

I don't doubt that you were polite to the young lady that called, but I find this next statement of yours to be in direct conflict with the highlighted portion above....

Quote:

I politely reminded her that Goldstein first announced the reason for denying diamonds access to the CL was to avoid overcrowding...and only after RCI was flooded with complaints, did he come back and say they've suddenly found space for anyone who is willing to pay 75% of the regular price of drinks.

If you were talking to me, I would have definitely taken this as an indication that you thought they were being less than honest....

I simply stated the facts about what RCI management has done...if that brought her to the conclusion that I think they were being dishonest with their customers, she might just be right!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing dishonest about changing their loyalty programme - they give you fair warning in the Contract!!!

And most of us were aware that something had to give!!! It just couldn't continue under the present system.

Your comments also are, in a way, in agreement with those who are opposed to the RC reductions of promised Concierge privileges. These people are not only arguing against RC Concierge privilege reductions, they are also arguing that the loyalty they have shown to Royal Caribbean has now been disregarded by Royal Caribbean. They are both angry and saddened by RC breaking a promise about diamond privileges. Now before you jump on this, I do not believe anyone here doubts the legal right for RC to do so, but having the legal right does not make it right. Whether the focus is on free drinks or socializing opportunities, or both, cruisers loyal to Royal Caribbean feel betrayed. If you and others so vehement against those opposing the changes cannot understand this, I believe you have a problem emphasizing with others.

During my short two year active duty tour, all required of ROTC at the time, as a young U.S.A.F. officer years ago, I learned that loyalty must be both ways, both up and down. My son, out of NROTC much more recently, learned the same.

Yes, it is sad that loyalty seems to be a vanishing concept. But this does not mean that loyalty is not of value. I believe it means that far too much emphasis is placed on the economic short term, at the expense of the long term.

RCL has always traded at lower share price than CCL in terms of P/E ratio, because they are significantly smaller. Perhaps RCL needs to keep its loyalty programs to avoid having its shares trade even lower compared to CCL.

My belief that RC is losing more than it gains by their Concierge, and other restrictive decisions, has been voiced often. I and my DW may or may not cruise again on RC or any other line. As I have explained before, we and others have many other travel options.

We are over 70 and thus denigrated by a few asses, not you, on this and other threads as being old and too set in our ways. But let me inform those who do so, with age comes wisdom. We have much.

Bob :cool:

I find it interesting, Bob, that you say loyalty goes both ways. Many of the C&A members that are angry with RCCL for the changes in their loyalty program are stating they will now cruise with other lines. Where's the loyalty there? I find it hard to understand why people can complain and get angry over something being taken away that wasn't a contract, is free, and is at the discretion of the provider (RCCL). In my opinion, we should all be glad we got the good stuff as long as we did!!!

I will state again that I have found RCCL to be a honorable company to do business with. Not perfect, makes mistakes, but over 3 decades of doing business with them, they still impress me. They have rolled back TWO fuel surcharges, and have provided me with two credit certificates when two cruises they delivered had serious problems.

I will venture a guess the C&A program will be revised again in the future to regain the "loyalty" of those who have left RCCL because of this. We will have to wait and see.

I also don't understand what all the talk is about "promises"???? They were marketing and advertising campaigns, for pity's sake.

Well, we cruise four or five times a year - and it is very rare that we have been able to use the Lounge between 5.00 and 8.00!!! Everyone seems to prefer to cram into the CL!!! On the transatlantics it is more than a zoo - its total insanity!!!

I wasn't referring to the CL, I was saying the overflow lounge was empty. I have no problem with letting the CL be for just suite people. I would imagine that your right and there would be more D and D+ on the transatlantics.

The difference is that this is a supposedly up-scale area provided as an amenity for the Suite Guests. When they enter and find it crammed to the gills, they are understandably upset, having paid through the nose!!! IMHO the loyalty scheme is a victim of its own success.

Again, I have no problem with the CL being for Suites. I actually prefer the overflow lounges..........better view!! LOL

Well, the way I read it, things stay the same on the Freedom class and Oasis. There is a separate Lounge for Diamonds on there anyway and it looks like the drinks will remain the same as in the past, i.e. free liquor etc. But I have no way of knowing this - just what I read on here!!

Nothing was mentioned about this in the letter so I'm just wondering why they can provide free drinks on some of their ships and not on the others that they are now providing a Diamond area on. I bet they'll use the same areas on those ships that they've been using such as the Chamber or Cloud Nine so I don't see the whole purpose besides aggravating people and saving a few bucks on drinks.

We've been averaging 5-6 cruises a year the last few years and with the exception of a 7 night on Liberty that we did in September, every single one of them has fallen into the category of the CL/lounge being a zoo IMO...

I've been very surprised to hear others say that they haven't experienced this on their recent cruises... based on our experience, I really thought this was pretty much always the case.

Since there are overflow lounges, that's what we use so I can't comment on the CL being a zoo or not. Again, I have no problem staying out of the CL. I really don't like it in there because it's to closed in........I like windows!! LOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And most of us were aware that something had to give!!! It just couldn't continue under the present system.

If it couldn't continue under the present system, then why is it continuing on the Freedom Class, Oasis and Allure ships????:rolleyes:

I have found this to be true on Brilliance & Jewel for the past several years. That's why I don't even go there anymore.....way too crowded.

Oh, I don't doubt that....we had a suite on the Brilliance back in 2002 and the CL was always jammed.........of course, the CL is not very big on those ships either. I think we probably went in there 2 nights out of 11 because there were never any seats!!! Actually, they let us take our drink out of the rooml..........our cabin was just across the hall so we'd take our drink and have it on our balcony...........LOL I was very uncomfortable in there because everyone in there seemed to have been avid cruisers and I felt out of place. But now I wouldn't feel out of place...........lol :D

I have found this to be true on Brilliance & Jewel for the past several years. That's why I don't even go there anymore.....way too crowded.

Ditto. Brilliance last month was a mess. Went to the lounge first night and couldn't get in despite the fact that we were suite guests. We did go to the Hollywood Odysee just before dinner several nights though.

Oh, I don't doubt that....we had a suite on the Brilliance back in 2002 and the CL was always jammed.........of course, the CL is not very big on those ships either. I think we probably went in there 2 nights out of 11 because there were never any seats!!! Actually, they let us take our drink out of the rooml..........our cabin was just across the hall so we'd take our drink and have it on our balcony...........LOL I was very uncomfortable in there because everyone in there seemed to have been avid cruisers and I felt out of place. But now I wouldn't feel out of place...........lol :D

they will not let you take your drnks out know

We were on the Brilliance at Christmas and in February they now have an overflow bar which was never crowded, the Jewel was ok in August 2008 but the Navigator CL was full.

we had a suite and it did not bother us as everybody was so friendly, we had to be as we were all so close.

WHAT DOES IS THE FOLLOWING

This appeared on a British TA site asking for responses

do they know something we dont?

Are some more equal than others?

It used to be that if you paid more, you'd get a better cabin.

Now it seems you get a better experience.

Some cruiselines have always had an on board class system regarding cabins and restaurants. But there is a bucking new trend that is making a few of you wonder whether it's all gone too far.

More frequently, cruise lines are enticing customers to book a suite by offering an abundance of VIP areas where other guests are not allowed to enter.

For example, if you book a Yacht Club suite on MSC Fantasia or Splendida, you’ll have exclusive use of an extra pool, lounge, decks etc.

On Celebrity Solstice, not only do Aqua class cabin guests have access to the Blu restaurant but also a spa area and a portion of deck area which is split off from the rest. And Royal Caribbean’s Concierge Lounge which used to be for Diamond members, is now exclusively for suite guests.

So we want to know: What do you think about this? Does this encourage elitism? Or, do you think it's only right that people who pay more, should get more than you

Should i repond with the latest RCCL Letter posted on here?

In the UK a lot of Diamond members still have not recieved anything from RCCL

As i have said before let the suites including JS have the CL at breakfast and during happy hour.

i for one prefer the overflow bar even if i have a suite it usually has friendlier people in it and is in a better position on the ship.

Still cannot understand why Diamonds cannot have a cheaper drink than wine or Champagne for free?

As the brits say another right royal c--k up by RCCL PR department

I am not unsympathetic - I hate the drinks at their parties, so don't drink them!!! I think that many Diamonds WILL miss the CL and its quite understandable that they are aggravated. But.......nothing is forever - especially loyalty programmes!!! This one was unfortunately, just TOO successful!!

i agree with the posters that say a mixed drink (vodka and tonic) (rum and coke), etc and a bottle of beer are no more expensive than a glass of wine. But it is easy to pour a couple of trays of wine and champers. The individual requirements need staff - and this costs!!!

The overflow lounges we have been in only had one bar staff and they coped with all the guests requirements so where is the additional cost?

I am starting to wonder if RCL ran any of these changed by any focus groups.

They had to know that Diamond members would not be happy with the changes. I would think that they would have done more research on what sort of responses they would get.

They really need to get the PR department more involved in a pro-active role

I find it interesting, Bob, that you say loyalty goes both ways. Many of the C&A members that are angry with RCCL for the changes in their loyalty program are stating they will now cruise with other lines. Where's the loyalty there? I find it hard to understand why people can complain and get angry over something being taken away that wasn't a contract, is free, and is at the discretion of the provider (RCCL). In my opinion, we should all be glad we got the good stuff as long as we did!!!

I will state again that I have found RCCL to be a honorable company to do business with. Not perfect, makes mistakes, but over 3 decades of doing business with them, they still impress me. They have rolled back TWO fuel surcharges, and have provided me with two credit certificates when two cruises they delivered had serious problems.

I will venture a guess the C&A program will be revised again in the future to regain the "loyalty" of those who have left RCCL because of this. We will have to wait and see.

I also don't understand what all the talk is about "promises"???? They were marketing and advertising campaigns, for pity's sake.

Hi Peggy!

Are you D+? If so, perhaps you cannot appreciate the thoughts and feelings of some of the current Diamond members who may or may not have posted to this thread?

Just a thought :)

###

they will not let you take your drnks out know

Oh I know you can't take your drink out now and that's fine, although on our March cruise, the bartender in the overflow brought my DH and my friends husband a fresh drink without them asking for it. Then they realized what time it was and we had to leave to go to dinner. So my DH told the bartender that he hated to waste it but we had to leave - the bartender told him he'd put it in a paper cup for them, but when he looked for a paper cup, he didn't have any so he told them to take the glass with them....I was very surprised that they let them bring it out of the room. That overflow lounge was very empty the entire 12 nights.........well, it was crowded the first night during sailaway but never crowded again.[/COLOR]

We were on the Brilliance at Christmas and in February they now have an overflow bar which was never crowded, the Jewel was ok in August 2008 but the Navigator CL was full.

we had a suite and it did not bother us as everybody was so friendly, we had to be as we were all so close.

They didn't have an overflow lounge when we were on there in 2002 so you can imagine how crowded the CL was - that's why we never went in there.

WHAT DOES IS THE FOLLOWING

This appeared on a British TA site asking for responses

do they know something we dont?

Are some more equal than others?

It used to be that if you paid more, you'd get a better cabin.

Now it seems you get a better experience.

Some cruiselines have always had an on board class system regarding cabins and restaurants. But there is a bucking new trend that is making a few of you wonder whether it's all gone too far.

More frequently, cruise lines are enticing customers to book a suite by offering an abundance of VIP areas where other guests are not allowed to enter.

For example, if you book a Yacht Club suite on MSC Fantasia or Splendida, you’ll have exclusive use of an extra pool, lounge, decks etc.

On Celebrity Solstice, not only do Aqua class cabin guests have access to the Blu restaurant but also a spa area and a portion of deck area which is split off from the rest. And Royal Caribbean’s Concierge Lounge which used to be for Diamond members, is now exclusively for suite guests.

So we want to know: What do you think about this? Does this encourage elitism? Or, do you think it's only right that people who pay more, should get more than you

Should i repond with the latest RCCL Letter posted on here?

In the UK a lot of Diamond members still have not recieved anything from RCCL

I'm in the USA and I still haven't received anything either!! LOL

As i have said before let the suites including JS have the CL at breakfast and during happy hour.

i for one prefer the overflow bar even if i have a suite it usually has friendlier people in it and is in a better position on the ship.

Ditto to what you said above!!! That's exactly how I feel!!!

Still cannot understand why Diamonds cannot have a cheaper drink than wine or Champagne for free?

There's no reason why they can't!! I don't know who makes these decisions at RCCL.......I don't think they're using their heads.

As the brits say another right royal c--k up by RCCL PR department

LOL:eek:

Originally Posted by sealord viewpost.gif

Good for you. I'm glad you are also not listening to those who have said, "Why don't you just go away and shut up? The modified benefits are fine." They are not 'fine' with me either. I've only done two cruises on RCCL as a Diamond (part of the reason for my ire, no doubt), and they both had overflow lounges. They worked just fine, and we left the CL to the others on most evenings. We always do late seating, however, and we did find the CL fairly empty after main seating began. That being said, it sometimes did look like a 'rock concert' had preceded us, so we would then go to the overflow lounge anyway. I did in fact suggest in a 'requested' critique that a 'full time' assistant for the Concierge during the evening happy hour would make things better.

I also wrote a 'letter' to the management, but I only received the 'first' form letter in return.

A full-time assistant? At the busiest time for the Food and Beverage Department? To supply free drinks? We must be on different planets - they are running a business!!! There are NO spare staff at that time - the waiters are run off their feet!! You are so wound up by it all that you are just not seeing that the CL is an amenity for SUITE passengers, first and foremost!! It is supposed to be an upscale amenity in keeping with the high prices they are paying - not, as you so rightly say 'a rock concert'.

Well, possibly they know your views from reading them on here!!:D:D

I cut your commentary out of 'my' post for clerity. Imbedding your diatribe into my comments made it a bit unclear 'who' was having a meltdown. I offered a suggestion, in response to RCCL's specific request. To say there is not one available person to help in the CL on a ship with hundreds of service personnel would suggest a real management problem. If the people 'kicked' out of the CL go to the Schooner Bar, there must be staff there to serve them. If those people are not in the Schooner Bar, that 'one' staff member, could be moved to the CL. Pretty simple really, the manager must be smart enough to put the staff where the people are that need service. If you have 1,000 drinkers, you will need the same number of servers to provide adequate service. It does not matter which room they occupy. You just have to get the servers into the same room with your 'valued loyal customers'.

By the way, I have 'paper' that shows the C&A Diamonds got access to the CL at very nearly the same time as the suite pax. And they got access way before the Diamond Plus got access ... because Diamond Plus did not exist.:rolleyes:

I am starting to wonder if RCL ran any of these changed by any focus groups.

They had to know that Diamond members would not be happy with the changes. I would think that they would have done more research on what sort of responses they would get.

They really need to get the PR department more involved in a pro-active role

Didn't they just hire a new person for that job?? Now I can't remember if it was marketing or public relations. Is the lady from Carnival gone now??

Since there are overflow lounges, that's what we use so I can't comment on the CL being a zoo or not. Again, I have no problem staying out of the CL. I really don't like it in there because it's to closed in........I like windows!! LOL

Yeah... but we've had problems with overcrowding in the overflow lounges as well... that's generally where we go too... it's not just been the CL itself.

On our recent Mariner cruise they opened the Lotus Lounge for overflow... the LL is HUGE and if you weren't there at 5:00 when it opened to get a seat, you weren't likely to get one... They had at least 6 waiters and 2 bartenders serving drinks to that crowd every night.

That's been the most extreme case of overcrowding in the overflow lounge we've experienced, but it has been a problem on more cruises that not that we've done.

I'm curious what trips you are taking where it's not a problem...

If it couldn't continue under the present system, then why is it continuing on the Freedom Class, Oasis and Allure ships????:rolleyes:

I really don't think they have the same number of D/D+ passengers sail on those ships as they do some of the others. I mean, how many times do you want to do those same 7 night Caribbean itineraries...

We did Liberty in September and there were only between 30 and 40 D/D+ passengers on that trip.

Yeah... but we've had problems with overcrowding in the overflow lounges as well... that's generally where we go too... it's not just been the CL itself.

On our recent Mariner cruise they opened the Lotus Lounge for overflow... the LL is HUGE and if you weren't there at 5:00 when it opened to get a seat, you weren't likely to get one... They had at least 6 waiters and 2 bartenders serving drinks to that crowd ever night.

6 Waiters and 2 Bartenders!!!!! WOW!!! You must of had lots of D's on that cruise!!! Were they checking cards?? I know that when they don't check cards, there can be a BIG problem!!!

That's been the most extreme case of overcrowding in the overflow lounge we've experienced, but it has been a problem on more cruises that not that we've done.

Our last two 12 nighters on the Explorer - on one cruise they used the Chamber (which had hardly anyone in it except for the last night). On our most recent cruise, they used Cloud Nine up on deck 14 and honestly, it was only crowded the first night at sailaway!!! Some nights just us and a few of our Cruise Critic friends were in there..........there was one bartender and after a few days, one of the ice skaters was coming in and helping him out. The bartender would have been fine by himself, the skater (Marek) was acting more like a waiter but they didn't really need a waiter because we were capable of getting off our butts and getting our own drink. One thing I can say is that they were checking cards right from day one and I think that's why there were no crowds!!

I really don't think they have the same number of D/D+ passengers sail on those ships as they do some of the others. I mean, how many times do you want to do those same 7 night Caribbean itineraries...

We did Liberty in September and there were only between 30 and 40 D/D+ passengers on that trip.

Are you kidding??? There's people that do nothing but the Caribbean!!! The Voyager Class does the Caribbean as well, so I don't see the difference! The Radiance class also does a lot of the same routes.....Serenade does Caribbean, Jewel is doing the Panama Canal (or as some people say....the Fake Panama Canal)......LOL:D:D

Our last two 12 nighters on the Explorer - on one cruise they used the Chamber (which had hardly anyone in it except for the last night). On our most recent cruise, they used Cloud Nine up on deck 14 and honestly, it was only crowded the first night at sailaway!!! Some nights just us and a few of our Cruise Critic friends were in there..........there was one bartender and after a few days, one of the ice skaters was coming in and helping him out. The bartender would have been fine by himself, the skater (Marek) was acting more like a waiter but they didn't really need a waiter because we were capable of getting off our butts and getting our own drink. One thing I can say is that they were checking cards right from day one and I think that's why there were no crowds!!

Yeah... I forgot to mention the employee they had standing at the door checking cards during that time... they actually did have someone there every night.

You can see with the experiences that we've had why some people are saying... "it's a zoo... something had to be done"... and I can certainly see that someone with your experiences would be saying "what's the problem?"

Are you kidding??? There's people that do nothing but the Caribbean!!! The Voyager Class does the Caribbean as well, so I don't see the difference! The Radiance class also does a lot of the same routes.....Serenade does Caribbean, Jewel is doing the Panama Canal (or as some people say....the Fake Panama Canal)......LOL:D:D

There are some people who love the Caribbean and do it over and over again and then there are also a lot of people like my husband and I who feel like we've "been there, done that" and look for itineraries that allow us to see places we haven't seen before...

The 30-40 D/D+ we had on Liberty is about 10% of the D/D+ members that we've probably had on average on the cruises that we've gone on in the past few years.

Hi Peggy!

Are you D+? If so, perhaps you cannot appreciate the thoughts and feelings of some of the current Diamond members who may or may not have posted to this thread?

Just a thought :)

###

Hi, PhoenixCruiser:

I'm not coming from a D or D+ point of view. However, we made D+ about 2 weeks ago. I was voicing this opinion before they released the letter a few weeks ago. I still feel the same way, and my opinion hasn't changed: I think complaining because a free program was changed or discontinued is fine: we are all entitled to our opinions. However, bringing it to the level of "promises" and implying it was due us, is stretching things a little too far.

When this all started last Fall 2008 I said it then: well, it was good while it lasted, and they have a right to change their product if they want to.

I decided to change my next cruise to make us eligible for D+, but that's just because I was at a point where I could do that quickly and easily. If not, I would have just accepted the changes and worked toward my D+ status anyway.

I EXPECT changes in products I buy these days. I expect it everywhere. I know the vendors I buy from have to survive, and they gotta do what they gotta do. I also firmly believe that there were no promises made, just marketing ads and campaigns. I can also truly sympathize with the disappointment: I felt it, too. That's why I made my changes to our recent cruise.

I hope this helps you understand my point of view.

On our recent Mariner cruise they opened the Lotus Lounge for overflow... the LL is HUGE and if you weren't there at 5:00 when it opened to get a seat, you weren't likely to get one... They had at least 6 waiters and 2 bartenders serving drinks to that crowd every night.

Elleluv, we were just on the Radiance in feb where Juan our concierge said the Hollywood Odyssey was the overflow lounge (we've had to use that a couple of other times too) He said there were over 150 D members on board. Well we went to the Odyssey almost every night for a drink and at most there were 10 other people in there with us. Plus we went to the CL twice and always got a seat. I don't think we've ever seen one that under used.

I am sorry, but I find your logic mystifying. Surely you cannot mean that having just experienced a significant removal by RC of promised benefits, cruisers should cast aside their disappointment and continue to cruise with RC out of a sense of loyalty. If you believe what I previously wrote "loyalty must be both ways, both up and down," you cannot believe that cruisers owe it to RC to continue cruising with RC out of a sense of loyalty.

You are correct. The Concierge lounge privileges, and other revoked benefits, were not a right by contract, and RC retained the right to change these things. But you apparently disagree with my comment that "having the legal right does not make it right."

Analogies are sometimes helpful for understanding. So here is one. Someone, perhaps hellosailer, commented about a disappointment with American Airlines and its mileage program. But suppose you have many thousands of AA miles in your account. Then suppose AA announced that they were eliminating the AA miles for (almost) free flights, or even that the required miles would hereafter be doubled. You would be an extremely unusual person if you were not very upset. Yet I believe you will find that American, and all other airlines, have stipulated that they have the right to change as they see fit.

Perhaps only loosely related, but American, and others, have gradually increased mileage requirements, but we have used miles for such great trips as flying Business Class on Japan Air to China and Japan recently. (Incidentally, you never lose any miles in your account if you have a credit card giving miles for purchases, and use that card at least once a year.)

I do not intend to suggest that any airline is perfection in customer relations. But RC could have made a less drastic change by installing a two drink limit for "happy hour." I and others believe this would have both reduced costs and crowding. This change would be a slight change, similar in magnitude to an airline slightly increasing mile requirements for free flights. I think this would have been accepted with good grace by 99% of diamonds.

Finally, someone stole into my earlier post and suggested that I meant "empathizing" rather than "emphasizing". Yes, I did. My real spell-checker had gone to bed, so was not available. :D

The Brits have a saying which I believe fits Royal Caribbean management. They are too clever by one-half. :rolleyes:

Bob :cool:

Elleluv, we were just on the Radiance in feb where Juan our concierge said the Hollywood Odyssey was the overflow lounge (we've had to use that a couple of other times too) He said there were over 150 D members on board. Well we went to the Odyssey almost every night for a drink and at most there were 10 other people in there with us. Plus we went to the CL twice and always got a seat. I don't think we've ever seen one that under used.

We've used the Odyssey a few times as well, but never had it be that quiet.

It would have been one of the South America itineraries at that point, wouldn't it? That's one of those types of itineraries that I would have expected to have a high number of D/D+ and lounge crowding. How nice for you guys!

Archived