Best island for snorkelling?

Bibi

Which island , in your opinion, has the best beaches for snorkelling?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which island , in your opinion, has the best beaches for snorkelling?

• Jamaica
    • Grand Cayman
    • Cozumel
    • St. Lucia
    • St. Maarten
    • St. Thomas
    • Antigua
    • Barbados
    • Tortola
    • Grenada
    • Aruba
    • Other - which I will post.

Which island , in your opinion, has the best beaches for snorkelling?

hehehe the one you are presently at! Lousy English but true. Wherever I am, if I am snorkeling it is my favorite. Seriously though. Grand Cayman is my favorite. Warm water with incredible visibility and lots to see. I would go back tomorrow!! We liked it even better for snorkeling than Hawaii

Cheers, Kenn

I have found that it is much easier to snorkel in the ocean, rather than on the beach itself. :p:p:p

Grand Cayman is the first place I snorkeled and I still think it's the best. Well, Cozumel before Wilma was great for shore snorkeling and will be good again hopefully in the near future.

Off of 7 mile Beach in GC across the road from where the Indies Suites used to be (I hear it is now a dorm for med students), there is a sheltered lagoon where I snorkeled many times with a pair of spotted eagle rays. Never of course when I had my camera with me.

of a spotted ray I saw off of St. Thomas.

• Administrators

Well, my vote is for the Big Island of Hawaii, Kona side -- didn't see a choice for that one! :) My Caribbean favorite would be Grand Cayman, but not by much -- I've found great snorkeling during most Caribbean port calls -- but never from a beach, only from a boat.

Thanks for the responses! I have just recently discovered snorkelling and had a great time doing it in St. Lucia....beautiful, crystal clear water and colorful fish, but not so great in San Juan. I cannot wait to do it again and am going to select my next cruise based on the responses I get here! I am hooked -Thanks everyone!

Our favorite, so far, place to snorkle from the beach has been Tabyana Beach on Roatan, Honduras. Saw fish, coral, and a stingray on each visit - one very small sand-colored one and one large gray one.

There is also a private island that lots of cruise passengers book privately with the island called Fins and Flippers. Have read many good reviews it.

From a boat, Kona, Hawaii. Swam with sea turtles :cool:.

If you haven't stopped by yet, check out the snorkling and scuba forum on this website. Lots of great info. there.

We haven't been there in a while but Tabyanna Beach in Roatan is a favorite of ours. The beach is now closed except for tours but last time we went to the hotel right next door and walked over. It was like snokeling in an aquarium! Also enjoyed two wrecks and LOTS of turtles which were fed by dive master in Barbadoes! This was private and there were only 8 of us not the 30-40 on ship's tour.

• 5 weeks later...

Grand Cayman has the clearest water I've ever seen. There are no rivers draining from the island into the seas, hence, no silt to disturb the clear water. I've snorkeled and scuba dived there. Saw a hugh moray eel within a wreck from a dive boat on 2 separate occasions. However, I have always had a great experience at all the places I've snorkeled or scuba dived.

Archived