What does this mean????

jejaforlife

I'm sorry for all the questions!! I just called NCL to order the anniversary package and the lady on the phone mentioned that I was with a group. I said "oh 2 people count as a group?" and she said no,that when my ta booked us we were put in a group. Ummmm, I booked online - no ta involved. She wasn't very clear when I asked what kind of group it was - she just said a travel agent's group then reeled off the things we got as a part of this group - I can't remember everything she said - something about wine and chocolates andsome other stuff. I was trying to figure out if she was telling me what we got w/ the anniversary package but then she said "you get all that for being a part of the group".

I stressed a few times that we are not part of any group but she said sometimes it happens that they (whoever they are) put you in a group, and that it isn't a big deal.

I made sure we were booked for the BC (I think that's was it was - balcony midship) room we picked on the website.

Anyway, I'm just kind of confused by this. Anyone know anything about it?

On theflip side - got an email today stating our welcome kit has been sent and should get it soon - :):):) - we are so friggin excited!!!

TIA,

Erin

I'm sorry for all the questions!! I just called NCL to order the anniversary package and the lady on the phone mentioned that I was with a group. I said "oh 2 people count as a group?" and she said no,that when my ta booked us we were put in a group. Ummmm, I booked online - no ta involved. She wasn't very clear when I asked what kind of group it was - she just said a travel agent's group then reeled off the things we got as a part of this group - I can't remember everything she said - something about wine and chocolates andsome other stuff. I was trying to figure out if she was telling me what we got w/ the anniversary package but then she said "you get all that for being a part of the group".

I stressed a few times that we are not part of any group but she said sometimes it happens that they (whoever they are) put you in a group, and that it isn't a big deal.

I made sure we were booked for the BC (I think that's was it was - balcony midship) room we picked on the website.

On theflip side - got an email today stating our welcome kit has been sent and should get it soon - :):):) - we are so friggin excited!!!

TIA,

Erin

Sounds like your Anniversary Package is there, according to your last paragraph.

When we booked through an online Agency, we too were shown as part of a "group". It didn't make a bit of difference in anything which we did from booking through the entire cruise, etc., except we did get a better price than was originally quoted - along with a welcome aboard bubbly. Worked fine for us.

You should be able to get a reasonable explanation from your online booking agency. I would suggest a personal telephone call rather than e-mail. Good Luck.

When you say you booked online do you mean you booked direct with NCL? or do you mean you booked with an online service? because Online agencies are TA's so if that is the case you did book through a TA and they often reserve a certain number of cabins that they use as a group. You contact them looking to book a cabin, they quote you a price usually less than the cruiseline direct, or same price but with on board credit or some other special feature. You get those because you are in group, even though you don't know it. and it does not mean that the group you are in knows it either or interacts in any way whatsoever.

So let us know did you book direct with NCL or not?

When you say you booked online do you mean you booked direct with NCL? or do you mean you booked with an online service? because Online agencies are TA's so if that is the case you did book through a TA and they often reserve a certain number of cabins that they use as a group. You contact them looking to book a cabin, they quote you a price usually less than the cruiseline direct, or same price but with on board credit or some other special feature. You get those because you are in group, even though you don't know it. and it does not mean that the group you are in knows it either or interacts in any way whatsoever.

Usually, if you book with a TA (online or brick-and-mortar) NCL won't even talk to you directly, so I was assuming the OP meant directly with NCL. Of course we all know what "assume" means. ;)

Usually, if you book with a TA (online or brick-and-mortar) NCL won't even talk to you directly, so I was assuming the OP meant directly with NCL. Of course we all know what "assume" means. ;)

That is not necessarily true if you are calling to order something like the anniversary package or purchasing OBC or something like that, they usually will talk to you then, if you can just the regular reservations number they won't talk to you as soon as they see you have an agent.

Another example is if you have special needs I have a reservation that is TA owned but I have talked with special needs three times now.

Thank you for all the responses. Arwenmark - what you said above is exactly how I booked. I booked on cruise to go website or something like that (I have it saved but am not on my own computer right now). It was much cheaper through this site than through directly through NCL plus a small obc for each of us.

Okay, so that clears that up - it just through me for a loop when she kept saying group and then was asking me who the anniversary package was for - I was like "ummm me" LOL. I gave her my debit card # so if it's not pending in a few days I'll know to call back.

Now, another question which is going to be really dumb but I know nothing about cruising or the ships. I thought AFT was the back of the boat? I got our welcome package in and our luggage tags have us in our room but says AFT on everything. Does that just mean that it's more toward the back than the front?

TIA and sorry for all the newbie ?s :o

Thank you for all the responses. Arwenmark - what you said above is exactly how I booked. I booked on cruise to go website or something like that (I have it saved but am not on my own computer right now). It was much cheaper through this site than through directly through NCL plus a small obc for each of us.

Okay, so that clears that up - it just through me for a loop when she kept saying group and then was asking me who the anniversary package was for - I was like "ummm me" LOL. I gave her my debit card # so if it's not pending in a few days I'll know to call back.

Now, another question which is going to be really dumb but I know nothing about cruising or the ships. I thought AFT was the back of the boat? I got our welcome package in and our luggage tags have us in our room but says AFT on everything. Does that just mean that it's more toward the back than the front?

Ok quick crash course in Nautical terms.

the back of the ship is the STERN though many here use AFT to talk about cabins on the back they are wrong. AFT is a direction, it is going Toward the stern it is also the back 1/3 of the ship, then comes MIDSHIP then the front 1/3 is FORWARD or FORE there are also Cabins on the BOW. The PORT is the LEFT side of the ship when facing FORWARD notice port and left both have four letters. Starboard is the RIGHT side when facing FORWARD.

the cabins are called cabins or staterooms not rooms or may be suites of course.

So in this case your cabin in the back half or third and they will be using the AFT elevator to bring you luggage up which is really why the AFT is on the tags.

The SKY loads luggage through a Forward or an Aft entrance.....so your cabin must be more towards the back (Aft) of the ship than the Front (Forward). This just saves them from trying to get all the luggage down through the long narrow hallways.

this comes up often....how are TAs so much cheaper than NCL direct and we always say that the TA is rebating part of their commission.

However there's also a good chance that the TA has booked group space, and gotten:

- an up-front better price on those cabins

- a free cabin the value of which they may have chosen to spread across the group

- extras like OBC that aren't available through the cruiseline.

It doesn't mean anything to the passenger, other than getting a better deal than they would through other TAs or through NCL direct.

But it's the TA who is then on the hook for those cabins.....and if they don't sell it's out of the TA's pocket.

/ end thread hijack.

First of all, you'll be on a SHIP, a boat is something you get into if the ship sinks, :rolleyes:. AFT simply means the rear section of the ship (left or right side) vs the middle, (MID) and forward, (FOR). AFT should not be confused with the cabins, (usually, penthouses) at the Stern of the ship.

I'm sorry for all the questions!! I just called NCL to order the anniversary package and the lady on the phone mentioned that I was with a group. I said "oh 2 people count as a group?" and she said no,that when my ta booked us we were put in a group. Ummmm, I booked online - no ta involved.

TIA,

Erin

Erin,

Don't feel bad, your conversation with them sounds a lot like mine with my online TA last evening. We got emails (finally) that our edocs are ready but when I checked on NCL, I still get the message that they are not ready yet. When I called my TA I was told that I was part of a group (we did book 3 staterooms but I know you need at least 8 to be a group) and that "groups" cannot print their edocs until 30 days out. She stated that by forming a group they can discount the costs.

So of course I wanted to know why they would send me three different emails (one for each stateroom) saying the edocs are ready if they can't be seen or printed until 30 days out. We are at 43 days now. She finally agreed to call NCL to find out what was going on. When she finally came back on the phone she said the edocs would be ready within 24 hours. I checked this morning and they weren't but it will be interesting to see if they are later tonight. They could at least indicate that they are putting you in with a group so we don't sound like total nutcases when/if we finally find out.

She did say that being part of the group would not stop the Upsell Fairy from calling if she so chooses.

Thank you for all the replies!!!

peg013 - I wonder if that means we won't be able to print ours out either until within 30 days of the cruise? I guess it doesn't really matter - I can't do much of anything on that end until I get my dh's passport # and won't get that until he gets back from his deployment. At least now I will know if I can't print them out before that 30 days.

Pickles - Why, thank you so much for the clarification :D. I guess everyone has their trivial pet peeves - I've been fighting the urge to correct everyone who posts the word "mute" instead of "moot". LOL.

Thanks again!!

Erin

Ok quick crash course in Nautical terms.

the back of the ship is the STERN though many here use AFT to talk about cabins on the back they are wrong. AFT is a direction, it is going Toward the stern it is also the back 1/3 of the ship, then comes MIDSHIP then the front 1/3 is FORWARD or FORE there are also Cabins on the BOW. The PORT is the LEFT side of the ship when facing FORWARD notice port and left both have four letters. Starboard is the RIGHT side when facing FORWARD.

the cabins are called cabins or staterooms not rooms or may be suites of course.

So in this case your cabin in the back half or third and they will be using the AFT elevator to bring you luggage up which is really why the AFT is on the tags.

OK, sooo...

It's not just folks here who use aft interchangably with stern. We are in a stern cabin for our June sailing...and my tags say aft. But anyway..no biggie. ;)

peg013 - I wonder if that means we won't be able to print ours out either until within 30 days of the cruise? I guess it doesn't really matter - I can't do much of anything on that end until I get my dh's passport # and won't get that until he gets back from his deployment. At least now I will know if I can't print them out before that 30 days. It's hard to say since she told me I was part of a group and wouldn't be able to print them out until 30 days and then told me I will be able to access them within 24 hrs which is 43 days. I wouldn't worry until you are within the 30 days....I'm pretty sure the online registration has to be completed before they will release the edocs.

Pickles - Why, thank you so much for the clarification :D. I guess everyone has their trivial pet peeves - I've been fighting the urge to correct everyone who posts the word "mute" instead of "moot". LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Thanks again!!

Erin

How soon will your DH get home?

Ok, my two cents!

I booked thru a TA both times I have sailed with NCL. I got a better price both times....I don't care how they do it ...all I care about is that this time I saved $600+ and got the $500 OBC everyone was getting at that time, and an additonal $100 for using AmEx. :D

As far as the anniversary package...this year I called directly and last year I faxed my order.

Don't let them tell you that you can't do it with them and that your TA has to do it...THIS IS NOT TRUE!

Call 800-327-7030 menu option #3 to order Package #504. If you prefer to fax:305-436-4147. The form is on the NCL website, you can download it from there, and print it.

If you call, ask for an email confirmation. If you fax, print out your credit card statement showing the charge.

I have called and booked shore excursions directly with NCL (the Tracy Arm tour was not listed online), and again got email confirmation of the booking.

I have called with other questions regarding excursions and have never had a problem speaking with an NCL rep.

If you don't get the answer you want, call back. As another poster stated, you can call three times and get three different answers...so be persistant.

Good luck, and let us know how it all works out.

First of all, you'll be on a SHIP, a boat is something you get into if the ship sinks, :rolleyes:. AFT simply means the rear section of the ship (left or right side) vs the middle, (MID) and forward, (FOR). AFT should not be confused with the cabins, (usually, penthouses) at the Stern of the ship.

Unless you're somebody whose ship doesn't sink. :rolleyes:

OK, sooo...

It's not just folks here who use aft interchangably with stern. We are in a stern cabin for our June sailing...and my tags say aft. But anyway..no biggie. ;)

My mother was always stern when she called me aft (or was that daft?) :confused::confused:

Seriously, isn't AFT "toward the rear" whereas stern IS the rear? (like Monte's old avatar)

TIA,

Erin

'

If you booked online with an online agency, chances are that agency has a block of rooms booked with the groups department of NCL. That's not unusual. To clarify, you should call the agency.

I guess everyone has their trivial pet peeves - I've been fighting the urge to correct everyone who posts the word "mute" instead of "moot". LOL.

Thanks again!!

Erin

Maybe they are making extremely Quiet points rather than Now irrelavant ones! LOL

Oh, and most stewards are not named Stewart. He, He!

Archived