Beloved Alaska Souvenirs

DizzyDallasDi

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. This has helped me a lot. We are going in July on the Pearl with our 9 year old son and we will be bringing back lots of souvenirs for all the cousins. Thanks again:)

i don't know if they still have these T shirts in Juno.
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4] Juno.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]A cute little drinking town,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] with a fishing problem.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
john

[quote name='Travelight'][SIZE=3]CincinnatiGal, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I like this idea. It is thoughtful and personal. A lot is involved in putting together a quality photo gift. You've inspired me to do this, too [/SIZE]:)[/quote]

I just wanted to say..you sure made my day today! I am glad someone thought I had a bright idea!!! LOL!
Thank you!

CincinnatiGal

[quote name='brunolvr']Last year just as we stepped onto the gangway to board the ship, they handed us a Destination Alaska booklet. The year before they handed them to us just as we got on the escalator in the terminal building to go up and get checked in.[/QUOTE]

We are boarding in San Francisco.....anyone know if they will give out the books there when we board

I would like to have one of these books....I searched for such a book a long time ago and couldn`t find it on the net. Now I don`t have enough time to order one as we leave May 1.

Thanks

[quote name='CRUSINGFAMILY']We are boarding in San Francisco.....anyone know if they will give out the books there when we board

I would like to have one of these books....I searched for such a book a long time ago and couldn`t find it on the net. Now I don`t have enough time to order one as we leave May 1.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

No. If you look at their website, it says Seattle, Whittier, Seward and Vancouver (only if US Direct). [url]http://destinationalaska.com/contact.shtml[/url]

[quote name='krogerlady']This company prints the Destination Alaska coupon book. [URL]http://destinationalaska.com/cities/anchorage.shtml[/URL]
They pass them out free in several locations, but after a bit of research, realized our group would not be in any of those places. We contacted the company about buying one by mail, and found out their offices are very close to where my sister lives. We arranged for her to go and pick up our copies which worked out very well for us, but I am sure you can still get one mailed to you. My sister said after looking thru the book that there are wonderful opportunities to pick up free items by just stopping by a location, or buying a drink. She said we would walk around, picking up freebies, and getting tipsier and tipsier...my sister is a hoot!![/QUOTE]

Can you tell me where the company office is

[quote name='pizzalady1']Are they only for freeby things from the stores, or are they % off coupons for the stores?[/quote]

I didn't find very many "freebies" but a lot of discount coupons for souvenirs. Also some great info about each port stop and a map of the stores, also available on the Destination Alaska website, such as this one for Ketchikan.
[URL]http://destinationalaska.com/pdf/ketchikan_map09.pdf[/URL]

TMT218, here is a copy of the letter I received from Destination Alaska before the newest books were available. You can give it a try.
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]I’m not sure how familiar with Augusta you are, but our office is at #1 10th Street in downtown Augusta, Suite 380. We are located on the 3rd floor of the Morris Museum of Art building which is directly across the circle from the Marriott hotel at Riverwalk. At the back side of the building there is a parking lot with visitor spaces that you can use. The elevator is directly in the center of the building.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]Please do call to confirm. My direct line is 706-828-4343 and is the best way to reach me between 7:30 – 3:00. Please let me know if you need further directions or have any questions.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Love to cruise, thank you so much for the link!! I had this idea months and months ago, and was not able to find a location, and it slipped my mind. Now I have saved site so we won't forget. Kansas Scrapper, thank you for posting the question. Julie's has small carved Totem poles for less than $20. Perfect. That was what I wanted to get for my BF, who is not going, instead of another t-shirt or hat...sigh...he has plenty of those. Kansas Scrapper, last year, I sent my sister a big box of scrapping stuff from a place in Juneau. We were going to visit the store, but they have since gone out of business. She was so happy to get the scrapbook, pages, trinkets, stickers, etc...what ever y'all call all the stuff.....sorry I got off topic...just wanted to share.

1. A reasonably priced totem mask (<$125)
2. Those little license plates that fit on keychains that say Alaska (We have been collecting those since my son was a little boy. Every state we visit if we can find them)

Has anyone seen these in any of the ports or even at the airport (license plate)? We will also be spending time in Seward driving to Homer and then to Anchorage. Thank you and thanks to the OP this has been a great thread.

Is there any shops that carry prints of watercolors from the area? I have purchased these in all the Caribbean ports and have framed them. They are mostly landscapes painted by local artists. I usually have to search the port for them. It would be great if I knew which shop to go to.

[quote name='Budget Queen']My coworkers, "expect" :) chocolate from me. :) So from most every trip, they get chocolate, In January from Cadbury in New Zealand, Oct, bars- in Spanish from Costa Rica. From Alaska- there are two favorites- Alaska Jack and Chocolate Moose of Anchorage, some have saved the wrappers, which have some nice artwork. :) And an overall cheap gift.

I always bring back Taku Smokery Sockeye Salmon, and Alaska Wildberry Cranberry Butter.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Okay ... just wondering ... how do you get butter back home?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ilivetogo'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Okay ... just wondering ... how do you get butter back home?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I am butting in, but I was assuming that cranberry butter is sort of like apple butter (kind of like a jelly). I never could figure out why they called Apple Butter butter either.:rolleyes:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Oh brother. I didn't think about that. And I really like Apple Butter. At least that would make sense.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Thanks!
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Kansasscrapper, no, the shop is not open. I bought the items last June or July for my sisters birthday in August. When she finally started getting into the planning stages one of her first thoughts was to find the shop when we were in Juneau. So I went back to the site, and it said plane as day, they were closed. She was very dissappointed, needless to say. I had done quite a bit of searching to find a location where i could get the stuff for her, and spent way more than I would normally have for a birthday, but when she got it she was totally extatic, and was so anxious to tell all of her family that also scraps, and then be able to visit the shop this summer. As it turns out, she is even happier that I sent her what i did before the trip. She is ready to start on her new scrapbook as soon as we get home. I wish i still had the site, but i must have deleted it. Do a google search, you might find something in one of the other ports.

Here is another site that says it is in Anchorage. We have most of a day there waiting for our flight home, so will send info to my sister also.
[B]Supplier Information - [/B]

[B]Craft Supplier: [/B]Alaskan Journey
[B]Type: [/B]Wholesale
[B]Craft Supplies Carried: [/B]Alaskan stickers & albums
[B]Comments: [/B]Please check out our website at [url]www.alaskanjourney.net[/url]. We feature renown artists Sandra Greba, Brenda Schwartz & Herb Bonnet. If you are a retail store we would love to send you wholesale information!

[B]Address: [/B]9135 Wolfram Way
[B]City: [/B]Juneau
[B]State: [/B]AK
[B]Phone: [/B]907-586-1651
[B]Contact: [/B]Heidi Glasen
[B]Email: [/B]alaskanjourney@ak.net

Just a few ideas/comments.

Momofsons (?) how old are the boys? A pocket knife that has a carved moose or eagle would be nice if they are old enough.

whoever asked about the watercolors. I saw some wonderful ones at Icy Point Straight at the Heritage/Nature Walk building (right across from the old cannery). Also, in the old cannery, now turned tourist building, I got a very nice totem mask. They are made by the elders sons that are learning the carving traditions.

One of my favorites is a shot glass - okay, sounds dumb. But, it has a pewter eagle in flight on the bottom, so when you turn it upside down, the spread eagle wings form the base to hold the shot glass up - got it on Creek Street in Ketchikan.

[quote name='Mrs007']Just a few ideas/comments.

Also, in the old cannery, now turned tourist building, I got a very nice totem mask. They are made by the elders sons that are learning the carving traditions.

One of my favorites is a shot glass - okay, sounds dumb. But, it has a pewter eagle in flight on the bottom, so when you turn it upside down, the spread eagle wings form the base to hold the shot glass up - got it on Creek Street in Ketchikan [COLOR="Red"]Do you know which store?[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the mask tip! I'm sure if I said this or not, but my ds has started a collection quite by accident, but this would be a great addition.......he also collects shot glasses and that one sounds cool. i guess I got 2 for the price of one. ;) Thanks

Archived