Beloved Alaska Souvenirs

DizzyDallasDi

[quote name='krogerlady']TMT218, here is a copy of the letter I received from Destination Alaska before the newest books were available. You can give it a try.
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]I’m not sure how familiar with Augusta you are, but our office is at #1 10th Street in downtown Augusta, Suite 380. We are located on the 3rd floor of the Morris Museum of Art building which is directly across the circle from the Marriott hotel at Riverwalk. At the back side of the building there is a parking lot with visitor spaces that you can use. The elevator is directly in the center of the building.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial]Please do call to confirm. My direct line is 706-828-4343 and is the best way to reach me between 7:30 – 3:00. Please let me know if you need further directions or have any questions.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
Thanks krogerlady, Augusta at the sc border. I live near tn border so that is way far for me. if was worth a try. I guess i'll get one at the pier.

I believe we purchased the shot glass in the blue house on Creek Street (in the picture). If not there the store next door - on the same side of the street as the blue house.

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2072051040095841410bLUTeK][IMG]http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/32210/2072051040095841410S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Also, if you see the brown house across the street with the 3 red hearts (clover?). They have these wonderful drift wood masks we just couldn't pass up.
[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2184148860095841410rYMPYe][IMG]http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/45011/2184148860095841410S200x200Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Mrs007']I believe we purchased the shot glass in the blue house on Creek Street (in the picture). If not there the store next door - on the same side of the street as the blue house.

Also, if you see the brown house across the street with the 3 red hearts (clover?). They have these wonderful drift wood masks we just couldn't pass up.
][/QUOTE]

Thanks again, you've been most helpful.

I didn't buy an Ulu knife the first time we went up and after getting home I was wishing I had. So on the 2nd trip I got one in the White Pass Yukon Railway gift shop in Skagway. It is a more expensive one and comes with a cookbook. I use it ALL the time. So on the next 2 trips I have gone back in and bought 1 more each time for gifts.

Beware that they will take it away from you when you go through security to get back on the ship. You can retrieve it when it is time, near the end of the cruise.

A shop that we always visit while in Juneau is the Russian store, I believe it is on Franklin Street. I don't collect nesting dolls but I've always loved them. So I buy one for myself every time I'm up there. Since the last time (2006) we have some friends whose 3 little girls have noticed my nesting dolls and they stare through the glass of my curio cabinet at them. I don't let them play with them because these are "special" ones - a little more expensive than most.

So, on this next cruise I will visit the Russian store again and buy another one for myself, and 3 more for these little girls that they can play with.

We also enjoy the Del Sol stores which are in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, as well as other places around the globe. A unique store. On most cruise ships you will receive a coupon for a free tote bag from there.

I don't know if you need the "Destinations Alaska Coupons for the Diamonds International charms ... we just sent away for the Coupon booklet since they're not giving them out in the Vancouver Embarkation terminal this year, though I understand they'll be available in the Cruisers lounge in the Vancouver Airport (not sure where that is, actually), as well as the Embarkation terminals at Seattle, Whittier and Seward. Though I'm not interested myself, my BFF enjoyed collecting the charms as small gifts for her nieces... she saw it as a bit of a scavenger hunt and was interested to see what charm she would get in each port.

You get the "coupons" from the ship. Here is a link to see them from the DI web site. I think they are fun to collect. I have them from each port we have been to and yes I wear them. I even bought them as a "fun" gift a couple times and my friends and family love them. They only run around $5 each. They also have them in some of the Alaska ports (Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan).

[URL]http://www.shopdi.com/Caribbean-Charms/ca/lc.cfm[/URL]

[quote name='bjbear']Where did you buy them?

Sue[/quote]
I got the mittens in Skagway but they were made in the Yukon. I got the fur parka from David Green. Ordered it in Ketchikan but the order goes to their Juneau store to be made.

When I was on the Diamond Princess two years ago I bought my DH a beautiful Ulu from a local merchant in Skagway. The handle was carved out of some type of antler. It came with its own stand and it was made by a third generation Inuit. It is not only functional, but a work of art. It is proudly displayed on our granite counter at home. I avoided anything marked "made in China" which was most of the stuff I saw in stores!

As for bringing the knife onboard, I had a full bag of stuff that went through the ships x-ray on my return and they didn't take it! When I got back to the cabin I locked it in the safe and told my mom they were lucky I had no homicidal tendencies LOL I can't believe they never noticed it on the x-ray. Needless to say I packed it in my luggage for the flight home.

[quote name='Lambo Cruise']Where did you buy the salad thongs?[/quote]

HE HE HE HE I don't know how many times I've read this as "tongs" but I just not realized you wrote thongs and it made me giggle :)

[quote name='Tricia28']When I was on the Diamond Princess two years ago I bought my DH a beautiful Ulu from a local merchant in Skagway. The handle was carved out of some type of antler. It came with its own stand and it was made by a third generation Inuit. It is not only functional, but a work of art. It is proudly displayed on our granite counter at home. I avoided anything marked "made in China" which was most of the stuff I saw in stores!

As for bringing the knife onboard, I had a full bag of stuff that went through the ships x-ray on my return and they didn't take it! When I got back to the cabin I locked it in the safe and told my mom they were lucky I had no homicidal tendencies LOL I can't believe they never noticed it on the x-ray. Needless to say I packed it in my luggage for the flight home.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]Do you remember the name of the store where you bought the ulu?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='bjbear']Thanks so much. I'd love something like this instead of "tourist junk".;) I'll check into these. Thanks again.

Sue[/quote]
Ack, I just reread my post. I must have been asleep when I made it. The fur parka was ordered in Ketchikan but the order goes to David Green's ANCHORAGE store to be made (it was custom fit.) The main David Green fur store is in Anchorage. I didn't have time to get to it during their store hours when I was there so I had emailed them about the jacket I'd seen in their display window. When I got to Ketchikan, that's when I was able to try the jacket on and get measured for it. They did a great job, it fits me perfectly. And it is WARM. I wish I had this parka years ago.

TMT218, here is a copy of the letter I received from Destination Alaska before the newest books were available. You can give it a try.

I’m not sure how familiar with Augusta you are, but our office is at #1 10th Street in downtown Augusta, Suite 380. We are located on the 3rd floor of the Morris Museum of Art building which is directly across the circle from the Marriott hotel at Riverwalk. At the back side of the building there is a parking lot with visitor spaces that you can use. The elevator is directly in the center of the building.

Please do call to confirm. My direct line is 706-828-4343 and is the best way to reach me between 7:30 – 3:00. Please let me know if you need further directions or have any questions.

Wow! Thanks so much for this information! We're flying into Vancouver but will not be Direct so will not get the books there. But I know exactly where that office building is and having the phone number is very helpful.

We will be leaving too soon to wait the 2-4 weeks for the books to arrive via the mail.

Ack, I just reread my post. I must have been asleep when I made it. The fur parka was ordered in Ketchikan but the order goes to David Green's ANCHORAGE store to be made (it was custom fit.) The main David Green fur store is in Anchorage. I didn't have time to get to it during their store hours when I was there so I had emailed them about the jacket I'd seen in their display window. When I got to Ketchikan, that's when I was able to try the jacket on and get measured for it. They did a great job, it fits me perfectly. And it is WARM. I wish I had this parka years ago.

Thanks. I'm just on a week cruise first week of June and will be in Ketchikan but not Anchorage. Can I go to the store in Ketchikan and order it, get fitted, pay for it, etc. and then they ship it later? Do I have to email them first that I'm coming to town? My brother and family live in WI, I love your state.:) It's so much prettier than flat farmland in central IL!! :D

Thanks. I'm just on a week cruise first week of June and will be in Ketchikan but not Anchorage. Can I go to the store in Ketchikan and order it, get fitted, pay for it, etc. and then they ship it later? Do I have to email them first that I'm coming to town? My brother and family live in WI, I love your state.:) It's so much prettier than flat farmland in central IL!! :D

They will have staff in the store to help you when they know the cruise ships will be there. Yes, you can get fitted in Ketchikan and pay for it there. They will fed ex the parka to you when it is done. http://www.alaskastore.com/dgreen/ Mine is the one that Dorothy Bishop is wearing. It's a little plainer version of the one right above it.

I have to agree, I love WI too.

They were in bins at the cruise embarkment dock, Vancouver/Seattle

I didn't know there were such things as freebie coupons. Thanks for the info, I will look out for them. I swear BQ you are such a wonderful source of information. What would we do without you?

Archived