Delta price drops

bravesfan19

I just recently purchased 5 tickets on delta, and in 1 week the price has dropped $34.02 per ticket. This has cost me $170.10, and when I call Delta they say there isn't anything they can do about it because it has been over 24 hours. I was wondering if anyone knew something I could do, or someone I could call to get my money back?

If you bought non-refundable tickets, then there is not much you can do. If you bought refundable tickets, then return the tickets and purchase the new lower fare.

However, the price drop has not cost you a thing. If you paid $1000 before the price drop and the price drops to $800, as long as you are still only paying $1000, then the price drop doesn't add any cost to you.

Now, if the price drops and as a result you have to pay more, then you have a legitimate grip. Otherwise, the simple question is, if the price goes up, are you going to be willing to pay more?

Also make sure that when you are comparing fares you enter all data exactly the same. If you bought all 5 tickets at one time, make sure you are looking for 5 tickets when checking the prices. If you only search for 1, you may be looking at a lower fare basis than you what you bought at (T fare class vs. U fare class).

I just recently purchased 5 tickets on delta, and in 1 week the price has dropped $34.02 per ticket. This has cost me $170.10, and when I call Delta they say there isn't anything they can do about it because it has been over 24 hours. I was wondering if anyone knew something I could do, or someone I could call to get my money back?

That is nothing and the price drop hasn't cost you anything. You already purchased these tickets. You can't get this money back. Read the link in the post above. To reticket will cost you $150 per ticket. Stop looking at the prices and be happy.

You can pay the change fee (0-$250 per ticket). Any difference if fares would likely be refunded in the form of a voucher that you would have to use within a year.

Change Fees

Based on the fare rules, you may have to pay a service fee and/or a difference in fare. For travel within the 50 United States, the fee is $150 for Delta flights.

For travel outside the United States, the change fee is typically $250, but can vary based on location and type of fare. Changes are usually permitted only to the return portion of an international itinerary.

External Tickets

An additional charge applies if you would like us to change a ticket that we didn't issue. This charge applies to any ticket issued in the United States or Canada by anyone other than us, such as:

• A traditional travel agency.
  • An online travel agency.
  • Another airline, including SkyTeam and codeshare partners.

The external ticket handling charge does not apply to:

• Tickets originally issued by us—Reservation Sales, ticket office, or delta.com.
  • Involuntary changes like cancellations, delays, or schedule changes.
  • Tickets issued with military or government fares.
  • Customers completing a SkyMiles upgrade.
  • Same-day Confirmed Travel.

The charge is:

I want to make something VERY clear....the info in the post immediately above is mostly about EXTERNAL tickets. Those are ones issued by someone other than DL.

That phrase in the last section about "the charge is waived" is talking about the EXTERNAL change fee. That is in addition to the $150 fee mentioned towards the start of the post.

I don't want anyone thinking they can make a change at delta.com and not have to pay the $150.

Here is the direct link to the page that was quoted: DL WEBPAGE LINK

You rolled the dice. You lost.

Since when is purchasing a plane ticket like gambling?

Personally I thought the poster you are referring to said it pretty well.....anytime you purchase anything, there is a gamble that someone else got it for less and many times (not all) you are just SOL regarding a refund or credit ! So... saying a "gamble" is really not that off !

Personally I thought the poster you are referring to said it pretty well.....anytime you purchase anything, there is a gamble that someone else got it for less and many times (not all) you are just SOL regarding a refund or credit ! So... saying a "gamble" is really not that off !
Purchasing ANYTHING is nothing like gambling. When you purchase something, be it a product or a service, there is an even exchange. You pay the money and in return you get the product or the service. There is no "winning or losing".

When you gamble you give up you money with no guarantee of receiving anything in exchange. You hope you will get more back then you paid. Gambling does not involve an even exchange.

The exception to this would be when you purchase something as an investment. In such a case, you hope the value will go up. However, nobody buys plane tickets as an investment.

Since when is purchasing a plane ticket like gambling?

When you buy non-refundable tickets. Not all airlines play the financial suicide game of refunding non-refundable tickets. Try calling a European or Asian airline and you'll likely be laughed off the phone.

Purchasing ANYTHING is nothing like gambling. When you purchase something, be it a product or a service, there is an even exchange. You pay the money and in return you get the product or the service. There is no "winning or losing".

Yep, the OP is getting a product or service. A big shiny plane is going to take them to where they want to go. How much they paid for that is where my gambling analogy comes in.

When you buy non-refundable tickets. Not all airlines play the financial suicide game of refunding non-refundable tickets. Try calling a European or Asian airline and you'll likely be laughed off the phone.

Yep, the OP is getting a product or service. A big shiny plane is going to take them to where they want to go. How much they paid for that is where my gambling analogy comes in.

How much someone pays for something is not gambling. If someone agrees to buy something at a certain price, they are getting that something in return. Whether the prices later goes up or down makes no difference. They received the product or the service that they bargained for. If the price later goes up, they don't get a check for the increase, so they gain nothing. If the price goes down, they don't have to pay more, so they lose nothing. Purchasing a plane ticket is not a gamble.

In gambling you give up your money. In return you hope that luck favors you and that you will win your bet back plus more. However, you could lose. That is a gamble.

If purchasing a plane ticket was a gamble, then it would be illegal to sell plane tickets in Hawaii.

How much someone pays for something is not gambling. If someone agrees to buy something at a certain price, they are getting that something in return. Whether the prices later goes up or down makes no difference. They received the product or the service that they bargained for. If the price later goes up, they don't get a check for the increase, so they gain nothing. If the price goes down, they don't have to pay more, so they lose nothing. Purchasing a plane ticket is not a gamble.

In gambling you give up your money. In return you hope that luck favors you and that you will win your bet back plus more. However, you could lose. That is a gamble.

If purchasing a plane ticket was a gamble, then it would be illegal to sell plane tickets in Hawaii.

I think you are taking my off the cuff remark a little too literally:rolleyes:

The OP took a gamble ON THE PRICE THEY WERE PAYING FOR THAT AIRLINE TICKET. The fact the OP replied saying the price went down they won't refund my money boo hoo to me notes they wanted the cheapest price for the ticket. They obviously didn't get it so that hypothetical gamble was lost.

I think you are taking my off the cuff remark a little too literally:rolleyes:

The OP took a gamble ON THE PRICE THEY WERE PAYING FOR THAT AIRLINE TICKET. The fact the OP replied saying the price went down they won't refund my money boo hoo to me notes they wanted the cheapest price for the ticket. They obviously didn't get it so that hypothetical gamble was lost.

When you purchase a airline ticket you are purchasing a service. How anyone can view that as something that even remotely resembles gambling is beyond me.

The first thing ANYONE has to realize is that the market for airline seats is a DYNAMIC and flexible one. Some might even go so far as to add volatile to the adjective mix. But dynamic is one that causes problems for folks. It's not like Costco, where the you can buy one jar of pickles and it will be $8.95 and if you buy 100 jars, it will still be $8.95 per jar, and it will be $8.95 per jar tomorrow as well. It will also be $8.95 a jar, even if the guy in front of you buys a half-dozen jars. You MUST get past the instinctive reflex to compare airline ticket purchases with other buying experiences.

One day, I'm going to write a longish post explaning just what a "fare" is, why it is different than the "price", how inventory management makes "fares" available or not, and more. But for now.....try to wrap your brain around the fact that prices change and you, as a consumer, are trying to hit a moving target when it is advantageous to yourself.

Neither do many participants in commodity markets. But they all recognise the gambles involved when they make buying or selling decisions in them.
If you are buying a product or service you are not gambling.

If you are buying a product or service you are not gambling.

You are with airline tickets. You can purchase at the rate they are displaying at your current request. Decide to wait a minute, hour, day or week and take what is displaying then. There are only so many seats on a plane and depending on the amount of PAX the price will go up or down.

Basic supply and demand rules apply.

Archived