Southampton - What to do?

We will arrive in Southampton one day before our cruise and are staying at the Holiday Inn downtown.

Any suggestions on what we should do and see for our day in Southampton will be appreciated.

Can we walk from the Bus Terminal at Coach Station, Harbour Place to our hotel on Herbert Walker Avenue?

Many thanks,

Marion

We will arrive in Southampton one day before our cruise and are staying at the Holiday Inn downtown.

Any suggestions on what we should do and see for our day in Southampton will be appreciated.

Can we walk from the Bus Terminal at Coach Station, Harbour Place to our hotel on Herbert Walker Avenue?

Many thanks,

Marion

How about starting your cruise with a cruise?? Oh well a ferry to be exact. What about getting the ferry to the Isle of Wight. Great day out, wont need to hire a car as public transport is reasonable on the island.

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ferry-travel/routes

http://www.isleofwightattractions.co.uk/

Hi Marion

On Google maps, the coach station is marked at the top end of Harbour Parade, Holiday Inn is on Herbert Walker Ave , close to the junction with West Quay Road. Flat ground, walkable with wheeled luggage or a minimum taxi fare (about £5). Shopping is centred on Above Bar, and the West Quay Centre and the retail park between your hotel & Above Bar. Maritime Museum & Tudor Merchants House both off Below Bar (also called High St). All easily walkable. Small but interesting aviation museum in Albert Road South, a short taxi ride.

Southampton is not a tourist city, if you want something more interesting a train ride to Portsmouth (get off at Portsmouth HARBOUR) for Nelson's fully restored flagship HMS Victory, remains of Henry V111's flagship the Mary Rose, and Warrior, plus naval museum, Spinnaker Tower, various harbour sights. A short bus or taxi ride along Southsea seafront for Henry V111's Southsea Castle, and immediately alongside D-Day Museum. Lots else to see in Portsmouth.

Opposite direction is the New Forest - you can walk to Royal Pier for the short ferry trip across Southampton Water to Hythe, then bus or taxi into the Forest, or Beaulieu Motor Museum or the waterfront at Calshot Spit.

The cathedral cities of Winchester and Salisbury are not far, & easy by train (Southampton station near coach station).

If you've got any special interests, post them here for more suggestions.

Regards

John Bull

Hi Marion

On Google maps, the coach station is marked at the top end of Harbour Parade, Holiday Inn is on Herbert Walker Ave , close to the junction with West Quay Road. Flat ground, walkable with wheeled luggage or a minimum taxi fare (about £5). Shopping is centred on Above Bar, and the West Quay Centre and the retail park between your hotel & Above Bar. Maritime Museum & Tudor Merchants House both off Below Bar (also called High St). All easily walkable. Small but interesting aviation museum in Albert Road South, a short taxi ride.

Southampton is not a tourist city, if you want something more interesting a train ride to Portsmouth (get off at Portsmouth HARBOUR) for Nelson's fully restored flagship HMS Victory, remains of Henry V111's flagship the Mary Rose, and Warrior, plus naval museum, Spinnaker Tower, various harbour sights. A short bus or taxi ride along Southsea seafront for Henry V111's Southsea Castle, and immediately alongside D-Day Museum. Lots else to see in Portsmouth.

Opposite direction is the New Forest - you can walk to Royal Pier for the short ferry trip across Southampton Water to Hythe, then bus or taxi into the Forest, or Beaulieu Motor Museum or the waterfront at Calshot Spit.

The cathedral cities of Winchester and Salisbury are not far, & easy by train (Southampton station near coach station).

If you've got any special interests, post them here for more suggestions.

Regards

John Bull

Thanks John - I see you like vintage/classic cars. My DH has had many MGB's over the years and just sold his 1970 split bumper. He is now playing with a Miata, his first sports car that isn't British!

Marion

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I emailed the Southampton Tourist Board and they sent a nice brochure. We will be taking the red-eye and arriving at LHR at 6AM. I will have to see how tired we are before I decide what we will be doing for the day. You have given us a lot to work with.

Marion

Thanks John - I see you like vintage/classic cars. My DH has had many MGB's over the years and just sold his 1970 split bumper. He is now playing with a Miata, his first sports car that isn't British!

Marion

Which of course says why not visit the National Motor Museum, located in Beaulieu about 10 miles from Southampton.

Hi Marion,

Hmmmm, don't let DH hear you talking about "split-bumper MGBs" - his will be a chrome-bumper! I can't complain that he's now driving Japanese - my daily hack is also Mazda.

Scottbee is spot-on suggesting the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, in the New Forest. From the Holiday Inn its just a few hundred yards to Town Pier for the Hythe Ferry (every 1/2 hr) for the short distance across Southampton Water to Hythe, then a 10 - 15 minute taxi to the Motor Museum. Worth 2 to 3 hours. But arrange with the driver for a pick-up time for the return journey, there's no cab rank at the museum.

Regards

John Bull

Yes John but he always mentions the "split bumper" because they were only put on the 1970 MGB's and they are a rare breed. I won't be going to the car museum this visit. Since Jerry will not be traveling with me on this cruise he would never forgive me if I went to the museum without him. I am certain we will be sailing from Southampton on another cruise and will save the car museum visit for when Jerry is with me. Thanks for the great information, I would not have known about it.

Marion

Hi Marion,

Yep, looked up split-bumper models on the net. Rear bumper, one year only. Added to my memory bank.

For "next time" also consider Milestones museum in Basingstoke and Brooklands at Weybridge, both convenient for private airport transfers, Heathrow/Southampton

Have a great Cruise

John Bull

Scottbee is spot-on suggesting the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, in the New Forest. From the Holiday Inn its just a few hundred yards to Town Pier for the Hythe Ferry (every 1/2 hr) for the short distance across Southampton Water to Hythe, then a 10 - 15 minute taxi to the Motor Museum. Worth 2 to 3 hours. But arrange with the driver for a pick-up time for the return journey, there's no cab rank at the museum.

Regards

John Bull

My husband would probably be interested in the Museum. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker St. We will be in Southampton July 9-10 with a car. Is the Museum open everyday? Do you know what the cost is for the ferry and the Museum?

He is also interested in going to Portsmouth to the ship yard. What would be the best way to get there.

Regards

John Bull

My husband would probably be interested in the Museum. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker St. We will be in Southampton July 9-10 with a car. Is the Museum open everyday? Do you know what the cost is for the ferry and the Museum?

He is also interested in going to Portsmouth to the ship yard. What would be the best way to get there.

If you have a car, the motor museum is a short drive (the ferry is foot passenger only)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=southampton&daddr=Beaulieu,+Brockenhurst,+Hampshire,+UK&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=50.908121,-1.431742&sspn=0.031445,0.090981&ie=UTF8&z=12

Information on Beaulieu National Motor Museum

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk

Hythe Ferry is either £5.40 or £4.60 for an adult return depending on what time you travel. From the land end of the ferry pier there is a limited bus service to the museum, see http://www.wdbus.co.uk/uploads/lymington%20tt%20112.pdf

Walk to Southampton Central station or take the free bus from Town Quay to Southampton Central then hop on a train to Portsmouth Harbour station. The entrance to the Historic Dockyards is not that far from the station, you'll see HMS Warrior quite clearly from the train as you pull in. On the other side of the Harbour station is Gunwharf Quays shopping Centre and the Spinnaker Tower which is worth going up if its a nice day.

You will not be far from The New Forest. A beautiful part of the country to visit.

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/

I was thinking of taking my 4 teenagers and my 87 year old dad to the New Forest. Will we get to see much if we take the open top bus tour. Would we come across any animals? I'm trying to find something where my dad doesn't need to walk much, not because he has any health problems but simply because he doesn't like walking much. We'll be staying at the Jury's Inn Southampton. What's the best way to get there, boat or taxi?

The other option is going to the Isle of Wight. Can't really descide what we can do there.

We've been to Southampton twice before and am trying to avoid shopping till I drop. I'll do that in the day we spend before we sail but must try and do something else in the 2 days after the cruise.

Any suggestion please.

Hi Phabric & ta tommy,

Scottbee & Red Fox have beaten me to it re the National Motor Museum. Since Phabric has a car, the drive is very easy, about 20 minutes. You could also follow-up with a drive around the Forest - check locally (eg hotel staff) for suggestions (nb avoid the RETURN through Lyndhurst on a weekend, it gets traffic-clogged)

The open-top bus is a good way of getting round the Forest (routing minimises the Lyndhurst traffic problem) tho the route is limited to one corner of the Forest. Certainly you'll see the New Forest ponies & donkeys, but probably not the deer & certainly not up-close. The towns & villages are all worth wandering around & the route includes the motor museum. http://www.thenewforesttour.info/route.html

From Jury's Inn its a short walk to the rail station for a Bournemouth-bound train (2 or 3 per hour), get off at Brockenhurst, where there is a tour-bus stop. If you take the Hythe ferry (Southampton town pier, a stiff walk or a short taxi ride) you'll need a bus (see Red Fox's posting) or taxi from Hythe to take you the 5 miles to Beaulieu (village or motor museum), which is the nearest tour bus stop.

The Forest doesn't look at its best on a wet day, tho the motor museum is worth most of a wet day.

Portsmouth is easy both by train & car (motorway all the way). Parking will cost a bit, but perhaps worth it for the convenience & flexibility. Mebbe even travel one way by local roads - Botley, Wickham, Southwick & approach Portsmouth from the back of Portsdown Hill.

Isle of Wight : Red Funnel ferry or fast-jet ferry from Southampton (close to Town Pier) goes to Cowes. www.redfunnel.co.uk/

Just outside East Cowes is Osborne House, favourite residence of Queen Victoria. Connected to East Cowes by a short cheap (or free?) chain ferry across the River Medina is (West) Cowes, a yachting village.

Best bet is to get a £10 all-day rover ticket from Southern Vectis, which includes all their buses & open-top tour buses. Favoured destinations include Arreton Barns, Godshill, Shanklin & Alum Bay/the Needles, tho you wont have time for all of them. Ryde & Sandown are UK resort towns, not really for the foreign visitor.

http://www.islandbuses.info/ottours.shtml

Of the three places discussed on this thread, I'd rate Portsmouth/Southsea top for both interest & convenience, esp in inclement weather. But then personal choice comes into it.

Regards to all, John Bull

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Phabric & ta tommy,

Scottbee & Red Fox have beaten me to it re the National Motor Museum. Since Phabric has a car, the drive is very easy, about 20 minutes. You could also follow-up with a drive around the Forest - check locally (eg hotel staff) for suggestions (nb avoid the RETURN through Lyndhurst on a weekend, it gets traffic-clogged)

The open-top bus is a good way of getting round the Forest (routing minimises the Lyndhurst traffic problem) tho the route is limited to one corner of the Forest. Certainly you'll see the New Forest ponies & donkeys, but probably not the deer & certainly not up-close. The towns & villages are all worth wandering around & the route includes the motor museum. http://www.thenewforesttour.info/route.html

From Jury's Inn its a short walk to the rail station for a Bournemouth-bound train (2 or 3 per hour), get off at Brockenhurst, where there is a tour-bus stop. If you take the Hythe ferry (Southampton town pier, a stiff walk or a short taxi ride) you'll need a bus (see Red Fox's posting) or taxi from Hythe to take you the 5 miles to Beaulieu (village or motor museum), which is the nearest tour bus stop.

The Forest doesn't look at its best on a wet day, tho the motor museum is worth most of a wet day.

Portsmouth is easy both by train & car (motorway all the way). Parking will cost a bit, but perhaps worth it for the convenience & flexibility. Mebbe even travel one way by local roads - Botley, Wickham, Southwick & approach Portsmouth from the back of Portsdown Hill.

Isle of Wight : Red Funnel ferry or fast-jet ferry from Southampton (close to Town Pier) goes to Cowes. www.redfunnel.co.uk/

Just outside East Cowes is Osborne House, favourite residence of Queen Victoria. Connected to East Cowes by a short cheap (or free?) chain ferry across the River Medina is (West) Cowes, a yachting village.

Best bet is to get a £10 all-day rover ticket from Southern Vectis, which includes all their buses & open-top tour buses. Favoured destinations include Arreton Barns, Godshill, Shanklin & Alum Bay/the Needles, tho you wont have time for all of them. Ryde & Sandown are UK resort towns, not really for the foreign visitor.

http://www.islandbuses.info/ottours.shtml

Of the three places discussed on this thread, I'd rate Portsmouth/Southsea top for both interest & convenience, esp in inclement weather. But then personal choice comes into it.

Regards to all, John Bull

John -- we will be in Southampton on a Saturday evening, plus Sunday in July. Our ships sails at 4:00 on Sunday. Do you think it is doable for us to travel to Portsmouth on Sunday? If not, we noticed that the Maritime Museum in Southampton looked interesting with the Titanic exhibit. We are staying at the Novatel. Your thoughts?

Marilyn

When I stayed in Southampton pre cruise I took the train one day to Portsmouth, the next to Winchetser. Both were very easy and fairly inexpensive, the trains were a good choice of transportation.

Hi Marilyn, sorry for the long silence, been away, off-line & busy busy busy. Guessing your sailing is more like 5pm to 6pm with an aboard by 4pm.

Even so, with the problem of luggage & the need to allow for (unlikely) traffic hold-ups or sunday rail maintenance work, Portsmouth is sadly not really viable - certainly you wouldn't do it justice, best you could do would be a fly-by in a cab along Portsdown Hill for an overview, then a drive along the Seafront, Old Portsmouth, historic dock area.

The Southampton Maritime museum is worth a visit & only a short walk from your hotel, doesn't open on sundays until 1pm but thats still plenty of time (leave your luggage at the hotel, mebbe catch a cab from the museum or elsewhere to the ship via your hotel for your luggage). Start your day at the Bargate & walk the walls, taking in the Merchants House on your way to the Maritime museum.

But your best bet is to ask the captain not to sail until late evening LOL

regards

John Bull

Hi Marilyn, sorry for the long silence, been away, off-line & busy busy busy. Guessing your sailing is more like 5pm to 6pm with an aboard by 4pm.

Even so, with the problem of luggage & the need to allow for (unlikely) traffic hold-ups or sunday rail maintenance work, Portsmouth is sadly not really viable - certainly you wouldn't do it justice, best you could do would be a fly-by in a cab along Portsdown Hill for an overview, then a drive along the Seafront, Old Portsmouth, historic dock area.

The Southampton Maritime museum is worth a visit & only a short walk from your hotel, doesn't open on sundays until 1pm but thats still plenty of time (leave your luggage at the hotel, mebbe catch a cab from the museum or elsewhere to the ship via your hotel for your luggage). Start your day at the Bargate & walk the walls, taking in the Merchants House on your way to the Maritime museum.

But your best bet is to ask the captain not to sail until late evening LOL

regards

John Bull

Thank you for your help. Drats -- our ship departs at 4:00 and our TA has suggested we board between 12 and 2. Doesn't leave us much time, does it? We had hoped for the Maritime Museum or Portsmouth. Now I am not sure what to do. My husband had also wondered about the Isle of Wight, but by the time we get to the island, it will be time to turnaround. Maybe just the Bargate & walking the walls -- what do you think?

Marilyn

I would certainly discount Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight in the time frame that you have. It would be a rush getting there and back and to see nothing.

I would agree with John Bull's suggestion of the Bargate and walks.

Archived