RCL inflexible! Lousy customer service!

You are the one being unreasonable here. You have absolutely no right to expect the price of another cruise to be at or near the same that you paid for a completely different cruise. It would not be fair to the others that booked the same cruise.

Royal Caribbean did not cause this mess and they are being far more generous than they have to with the changes.

If you want to take all of your marbles and leave, then goodbye and enjoy Carnival.:rolleyes:

Love your response! People expect a Lexus on Chevy monies.;)

My only complaint was the orginal $350 future cruise credit per person in a balcony stateroom being changed to $350 per stateroom. But, between the OBC and the price drop we got, I'm pretty happy with the compensation package. Per the cruise contract, they didn't have to give us anything.

I have heard of some people being told they will have a penalty for cancelling or they will not get a cash refund, only a future cruise credit of the full amount they paid.

just found out they are giving us a PARTIAL refund and partial credit for a future cruise. I need my money to book a different vacation NOW. this was supposed to be a college graduation celebration, and I can't afford to make up the difference. Once again, bad customer service.

just found out they are giving us a PARTIAL refund and partial credit for a future cruise. I need my money to book a different vacation NOW. this was supposed to be a college graduation celebration, and I can't afford to make up the difference. Once again, bad customer service.

You need to speak to someone else........

Option 3: Guest currently booked on a revised sailing who choose to cancel their bookings will receive full refund of monies paid to Royal Caribbean International.

If you call their customer service and speak to a supervisor and complain enough, they should let you cancel without penalty and you should be able to receive a full refund.

If they refuse to let you cancel without penalty, then I agree that it is poor customer service.

From what I have been able to decipher if you got back to RCI within a certain amount of time (were you to busy complaining here you missed your chance to get your money back????) you could get ALL of your money back if you cancelled. Or you could stay on the sailing and get part of your money back as OBC and money towards another sailing. Or you could switch to another ship and get OBC.

I think you need to get on the phone with someone who knows what's going on to get your facts straight and stay off a message board until you have a resolution.

Of course from what you have posted here I don't think you will be happy with whatever happens. Sorry to hear that your vacation got messed up but its time to suck it up and make the best out of the situation. At least you can take a vacation not like a lot of others out there right now that either that don't have the $$ to go or have the flu and can't.

Wow, that is really tough. I'm sure those people that died in Mexico certainly would have not caught the flu and died had they known it was going to cause this! You have my deepest sympathy.

What in the heck does that have to do with cancelling a cruise:confused:

Oh wait........nothing:rolleyes:

RC is changing itineraries to the benefit of all--crew and guests alike. They are only doing this because of the swine flu epidemic. It is costing them a lot of money to make these changes. The flu epidemic is not their fault. If an itinerary is changed for any reason, be it weather, epidemics, safety of all, it is done for a good reason. Imagine the problems RC would have if they went to the Mexican ports and the entire cruise ship picked up the illness. Yes, I agree with above posters. RC had to do this and I agree with their decision.

I think you missed the entire point :rolleyes: The OP was not complaining that RCI changed the itinerary and canceled Mexican ports. They were complaining that they could not change to another cruise for a similar price. :rolleyes:

Wow, that is really tough. I'm sure those people that died in Mexico certainly would have not caught the flu and died had they known it was going to cause this! You have my deepest sympathy.

How about the 40,000 people that die every year from the flu, in the US alone? :rolleyes: This whole thing is just retarded.

Kurbanfan, Yes, we will get $350 off the price of our rescheduled Mariner cruise. Now, I didn't address rescheduling to another ship entirely, as we weren't interested in that option. So perhaps the $150 you mentioned is for changing to another ship.

we rescheduled from 5-24 to 8-2 on the Mariner got $150 OBC only had to pay a little more for the cabins not much.

Welcome to CC.

My sentiments exactly :rolleyes:

If you want to take all of your marbles and leave, then goodbye and enjoy Carnival.:rolleyes:

OP didn't even mention he was switching to Carnival :rolleyes:

I am sure for every customer that RCL loses they will gain 3 more from other cruise lines such as Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, etc. Seems a lot of people are jumping ships and going to other cruise lines.

As for me I think I am mature enough, at least at 60 years old I hope I am, to realize that first; the cruise line has no control over Acts of God and second that my contract (cruise tickets) has fine print that lets me know that itineraries can be changed without notice. And like it or not I agree to that when I put down a down payment on my cruise.

RCI IS allowing people to postpone the Mariner, with $350 per balcony cabin off the price, or cancel for a full refund. In addition, those of us staying on Mariner in May are getting cheaper prices than we originally paid AND $350 OBC for balcony cabins. This is much more than reasonable and flexible!

You wrote that "those of us staying on Mariner in May are getting cheaper prices than we originally paid"

How did you do that? I noticed the price went down from what we paid..but..it's only for "new bookings"

Did you receive a cheaper price? Was it for residency special?

You are the one being unreasonable here. You have absolutely no right to expect the price of another cruise to be at or near the same that you paid for a completely different cruise. It would not be fair to the others that booked the same cruise.
The OP signed on for one itinerary, and due to problems beyond anyone's control, it is much safer for the ship to take an entirely different trip. I have no interest in cruising the Northwest and would absolutely change my trip.

Though it is unreasonable to expect another ship to cost exactly the same thing, it IS reasonable to expect that a company that's been forced into making changes is flexible with customers who find themselves in a very bad position.

RCCl is allowing you to cancel with a full refund......
And that IS a fair compromise on their part. They cannot change what's happened, but they can make it fair for the customer. Yes, the customer will be disappointed, but neither does anyone want to go to Mexico right now.

Customers are all over the map now on opinions of their cruise lines. RCI gave me full refund (when they finally got their policies straight re this swine flu mess) and hopefully my RCI Visa card points (being used for companion fare) will be put back on the card for future use. I'm working hard on that aspect. I am not expecting any extra favors from the line -- like onboard credit, or discounts on future cruises -- nothing. The refund right now is good enough and a rare event.

I'm 60 as well and have cruised for decades -- now I'm finding I prefer going on my own to hotel/resort or city destinations as opposed to the herd mentality of cruising -- no matter the cruise line or class of service. I'm burned out on cruising and pretty happy that the Mexican itinerary was canceled and we were able to bail altogether at no charge. I was going as a favor to the 'companion' since I've been to every port imaginable more times than I care to recall.

I am sure for every customer that RCL loses they will gain 3 more from other cruise lines such as Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, etc. Seems a lot of people are jumping ships and going to other cruise lines.

As for me I think I am mature enough, at least at 60 years old I hope I am, to realize that first; the cruise line has no control over Acts of God and second that my contract (cruise tickets) has fine print that lets me know that itineraries can be changed without notice. And like it or not I agree to that when I put down a down payment on my cruise.

I wish I lived on the west coast to take advantage of the current prices for the northern route...

I change my future cruise to avoid Mexico and it may all be over before then...but not taking any chances...

If you read the All things Explorer thread they are making people use wipes coming onto the ships from the ports...good for them! the only thing is I think they should make everyone wipe or refuse entry...since I watched people walk past the wipes and the bathroom sink all the time....yuck!

I wish I lived on the west coast to take advantage of the current prices for the northern route...

I change my future cruise to avoid Mexico and it may all be over before then...but not taking any chances...

If you read the All things Explorer thread they are making people use wipes coming onto the ships from the ports...good for them! the only thing is I think they should make everyone wipe or refuse entry...since I watched people walk past the wipes and the bathroom sink all the time....yuck!

Avoiding Mexico is not going to stop the flu from being on any ship anywhere.......

There should be 3 balcony cabins available on the Mariner 5/3 for a lot less then we paid for them.......we cancelled and rescheduled:)

We were booked on Mariner 5/24 to the Mex. Riviera. Due to swine flu, it was rerouted to the Northwest. This was not an option for us. Our relaxing, warm destination is now longer viable. I understand that. But when we tried to rebook on Freedom of the seas for the Caribben, at or near the same price, we ran into a brick wall. After 2 hours back and forth with RC customer service we canceled the whole thing. Their attitude was that they were doing US a favor by upcharging us 'only' $2400 more. We were 5 of a group of 9 people going. Now RC has lost all our business. We have always had top-notch service from Royal Caribbean and enjoyed our three cruises with them over the years. No longer. Royal Caribbean International = Rotten Customer Interaction

Come on!

They were doing YOU a favor. You wanted to go from the Mariner-2003- (Mexican Rivera average price $600) to the Freedom-2006- (Western Caribbean- average price $1700) for nothing??!!!

Get real!

(sorry, I just hate it when it seems people think they are owed something.---should they have rebooked everyone on a newer ship and a more expensive itinarary?)

Come on!

They were doing YOU a favor. You wanted to go from the Mariner-2003- (Mexican Rivera average price $600) to the Freedom-2006- (Western Caribbean- average price $1700) for nothing??!!!

Get real!

(sorry, I just hate it when it seems people think they are owed something.---should they have rebooked everyone on a newer ship and a more expensive itinarary?)

Where are you getting these averages lol! For that price and with the obc they were offering I would not have cancelled my cruise for sunday:D

fitnessmaniac- Earlier yesterday, the prices all showed as "Sales Event" for new bookings only. A couple of hours later, I looked again, and bingo! I scored a residency rate. I got almost 50% of my cruise price back as credit to my Visa!

Easy now. ;) (nothing worng with Carnival) :)

~Carnival did change some of their 5 nights to 7 nights at no cost (those lucky cruises) but, cancled some of their 4 night to accomidate that change~

But the OP would have likely been met with the same situation from any cruise line. It is not up to RC to accomidate him/her on a more expensive cruise for nothing.

Archived