Alaska Apparel

Vegas Vic

Help Please

We are leaving on an Alaskan Cruisetour the end of June and I do not know how to pack!!!! Some say only layered co0l weather clothes, others say also include summr clothes. I would love advise from someone who has recently done this and please be very specific. I am afraid to pack too much and the wrong things.:)

Thanks You

Vegas Vic's Better Half

Do bring a couple of "summery" outfits---in June, the temperatures vary wildly! It could be 80 degrees one day, and in the 50's the next....You won't need "winter" coats, but do bring things you can layer...Sweatshirts or "hoodies", long sleeve cotton tees, slacks, etc... but do bring a pair or two of short or capris...just in case you have some hot weather.

Friends of ours were on a June Alaska cruise, and it was hotter there than it was on the East Coast!

You just never know! Be prepared for any temperature! (It won't be "freezing" tho!)

Hi Better-Half (and I have no doubt you are!) LOL!

We've been to Alaska in Sept. 2006 and most recently first week of June 2008. We learned alot about packing after the first time, and really cut way back on our clothing for June 08. We took advantage of HAL's onboard laundry service - it was $45.00/cabin for the week - and we sent laundry out most every day. It came back folded nicely in a basket with tissue paper between each piece or, if applicable, hung on hangers in beautiful shape.

This was my basic packing list for the June 08 cruise:

Jeans - 3 pair total (wore on to board)

Shorts/capris - 1 pair (wore them in Seattle and once on a sea day when it was sunny and 75 degrees sailing from Ketchikan to Victoria).

Longsleeved tees - 3 (bought one in Sitka as well)

Shortsleeved tees - 2

Sweatshirt - 1 (also bought one in Sitka)

Hooded sweatshirts - 2 (one pullover, one zip up)

Sweat pants - 1 (to sit out on our balcony or lounging around in the cabin).

Knit headband and gloves (for Hubbard Glacier sailing and for our whale watch)

Waterproof jacket with hood

Sneakers, flip flops (wore them onboard and around the cabin), waterproof shoes (for excursions).

Black pants, dressy blouse, blazer, black dress shoes w/kitten heel (for wear in the dining room - but we ended up only eating there once!! Alaska is so port intensive and we did lots of active excursions, so we were usually exhausted at the end of the day, and quite happy to either eat dinner in the Lido or got room service and ate on our balcony).

Thats it! And when we go next year on our 14-day Alaskan cruise, we intend on taking the exact same thing - minus the dress clothes. We've decided we aren't interested in eating in the dining room. The Lido was just as nice of a dining experience, and we could wear jeans there. Even better was room service, often ordering off the dining room menu anyway so we didn't feel like we "missed" something, lounging in our comfy robes or sweat pants.

We fully intend to take advantage of the onboard laundry service again - it was a bargain! We've certainly learned how to pack to meet our needs while cruising in Alaska. Have a wonderful time - just remember to layer, layer, layer, and don't sweat the clothing issues. As long as you have waterproof jackets/shoes for on shore, you are good to go! Happy sailing!:p

we went last year june 15, weather ranged from the 50's to 75, I took 2 piece wind suits with tank top to wear underneath and I had to take off the jacket and wear the tank top in ketchican, i also took blue jeans and hoodies all colors of them black, white, brown and wore tank tops that matched underneath, even sitting out on the back of the ship whale watching was at least 70 and sunny! just right for short sleeves!

I would pack for poor weather and throw in a pair of shorts and some t-shirts just in case you do have some summer type weather. But remember this is Alaska summer weather not Las Vegas type summer weather so early 70's is about as good as it is likely going to be.:)

Wear thin layers that you can peel off or put on as necessary. Carry a backpack/daypack on excursions for the extra layers.

If you go to the College Fjord, that will probably be the coldest spot. The winds of the glaciers are very cold...

The long pants that zip off to make shorts are a good choice. Gives you a range of temperatures that will work, and they're always some kind of quick drying material, which is good in case of rain. And like everybody else said: think layers.

After 4 trips/cruises to Alaska, you never know what the weather will be, but yes, do layer. One trip, we flew from Anchorage to Kodiak Island, cold and damp and two days later flew from there and arrived in Fairbanks to 96 degrees. So many people had on heavy sweathers or sweatshirts and were about to "die". I just stripped my jacket and sweatshirt off and spent the day in a nice t-shirt. But then you get near to the glaciers and you put on layer over layer over.

Have a great time.

Layer, layer, layer.

I wore a very heavy coat at the Marjorie Glacier where I stood outside for 2 hours watching it calve. Other than that, I left 4 bulky sweaters for others to enjoy so I could pack souvenirs. For the most part, a sweater or sweatshirt over a t-shirt and jeans would suffice. Of course, add to that formal clothes, etc. But I found that for the most part souvenir T-shirts etc, were readily available in port.

Archived