Hotel is Istanbul

I suggest you:

1) do a search in this forum: Istanbul hotel

2) read the reviews over on tripadvisor.com

just enter Istanbul for the city, make up dates and click show regardless of

availability (or some such wording)

Hi,

We stayed in Istanbul for 4 nights prior to our cruise a couple of years ago. We needed rooms for 3 people each. After extensive research we chose the Dersaadet Hotel. They have their own website for you to look at. It is a small boutique hotel. (about 15 rooms I think) It is located a short walk from the Blue Mosque and St. Sophia mosque. I'd say it was about a 5-10 minute walk to the heart of it all.

The hotel was very clean and the service was outstanding. The rooms are somewhat plain but nice with a decent size bathroom. My only slightly negative comment would be the beds are a little hard. Other than that I have nothing bad at all to say about this hotel. There is a living room type lounge in the lobby area with tables and sofas where you can gather in the evenings to relax. They have a laptop that is also available for free internet. We used the lounge every evening and took advantage of the internet service.

The staff went out of there way to make sure we had a great stay with them. The hotel has a very homelike feel about it and the staff makes you feel like family.

There is a breakfast every morning up on the room terrace. It was very good and you can look out at the Bosphorous while you enjoy your breakfast.

There is an elevator to reach the upper floors so that was good. However, I do recall there being one flight of stairs to get to the rooftop terrace.

I would stay there again without hesitation. I travelled with my husband, 13 year old son, mother, and Aunt and Uncle. We all agreed that it was a perfect choice for us.

I hope this information helps a little with your choice. Have a wonderful time. Istanbul is spectacular. We can't wait to go back.

Laurie

Hi,

We stayed in Istanbul for 4 nights prior to our cruise a couple of years ago. We needed rooms for 3 people each. After extensive research we chose the Dersaadet Hotel. They have their own website for you to look at. It is a small boutique hotel. (about 15 rooms I think) It is located a short walk from the Blue Mosque and St. Sophia mosque. I'd say it was about a 5-10 minute walk to the heart of it all.

The hotel was very clean and the service was outstanding. The rooms are somewhat plain but nice with a decent size bathroom. My only slightly negative comment would be the beds are a little hard. Other than that I have nothing bad at all to say about this hotel. There is a living room type lounge in the lobby area with tables and sofas where you can gather in the evenings to relax. They have a laptop that is also available for free internet. We used the lounge every evening and took advantage of the internet service.

The staff went out of there way to make sure we had a great stay with them. The hotel has a very homelike feel about it and the staff makes you feel like family.

There is a breakfast every morning up on the room terrace. It was very good and you can look out at the Bosphorous while you enjoy your breakfast.

There is an elevator to reach the upper floors so that was good. However, I do recall there being one flight of stairs to get to the rooftop terrace.

I would stay there again without hesitation. I travelled with my husband, 13 year old son, mother, and Aunt and Uncle. We all agreed that it was a perfect choice for us.

I hope this information helps a little with your choice. Have a wonderful time. Istanbul is spectacular. We can't wait to go back.

Laurie

Thank you that is the kind of reference we are looking for.

I like to stay in hotels that have the local flavor and not just an American hotel plopped down in the middle of another country. If you like that too, I can highly recommend the Sari Konak (see http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d295198-Reviews-Hotel_Sari_Konak_Istanbul-Istanbul.html to note that many others agree).

This hotel is located in Sultanamet (sp?), the historic district. We booked the upgraded rooms that have bay windows overlooking the street. It was an interesting experience to say the least to wake each morning to the sound of the call for prayers. This hotel has been family run for many years and is wonderful. If you want to feel like a billionaire, go to the rooftop terrace--beautiful space!!!--which overlooks the Bosporus (sp?) on one side and the Blue Mosque on the other. The view of the Blue Mosque lit up at night is enchanting, and you can eat breakfast outside in a beautiful garden. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that we would stay there again in a heartbeat. An added bonus is that this is a very affordable hotel.

But whatever hotel you choose, have a great trip, and enjoy Istanbul especially.

Donna

I like to stay in hotels that have the local flavor and not just an American hotel plopped down in the middle of another country. If you like that too, I can highly recommend the Sari Konak (see http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d295198-Reviews-Hotel_Sari_Konak_Istanbul-Istanbul.html to note that many others agree).

This hotel is located in Sultanamet (sp?), the historic district. We booked the upgraded rooms that have bay windows overlooking the street. It was an interesting experience to say the least to wake each morning to the sound of the call for prayers. This hotel has been family run for many years and is wonderful. If you want to feel like a billionaire, go to the rooftop terrace--beautiful space!!!--which overlooks the Bosporus (sp?) on one side and the Blue Mosque on the other. The view of the Blue Mosque lit up at night is enchanting, and you can eat breakfast outside in a beautiful garden. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that we would stay there again in a heartbeat. An added bonus is that this is a very affordable hotel.

But whatever hotel you choose, have a great trip, and enjoy Istanbul especially.

Donna

Donna:

FWIW, I agree with both your general and specific recommendations. The Sari Konak is great. That is the good news. The better news is that there are quite a few excellent smaller hotels in Istanbul. this is certainly not a city one needs to spend more money to stay in an American Box.

We are going to be in Instanbul on August 18 for four nights and we are staying at the SARNI KONAK. I checked out many many hotels and this one was rated highly on this website along with other website. It is a small boutique with breakfast. I love the smaller places. Check it out. Dicrepe2@aol.com. Good Luck...

If you are taking a taxi from the airport (or any place else), may I suggest you hand the taxi driver the following:

Name, address, phone number of the hotel

map showing the location.

Many of the taxi drivers there do not know the location of the smaller hotels and it seems to be against the unwritten rules for them to carry a map. :)

To start your morning off perfectly at the Sari Konak, make sure to sample their yoghurt and home-made toppings.

I am beginning to think the Sari Konak fills its small (18 rooms?) hotel 365 nights per year with just CruiseCritic members!! :)

We stayed in one of the biggest of those big American boxes...the Conrad...last visit.

Frankly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it for those who WANT that. It was our first visit to Istanbul, a 3-night pre-cruise in 2006 and my wife felt insecure about staying in a local hotel--so I booked the Conrad. It truly is a luxury, 5-star hotel--by American Standards. The security was impeccable--they stopped the car coming onto the property, searched the trunk, scanned with one of those "wands" under the chassis...then we, individually had to pass through a metal detector in the lobby while our luggage went through x-ray...But, once in, it was a far different world from the streets of Istanbul...The room was beautiful and spacious and had an incredible view of the Bosporus...The bed was the absolute best. We ate dinner the first night in the restaurant on the terrace of the 17th floor...with the sounds of the call to prayer echoing all over the city beneath us...Of course, it was inconveniently located--good thing we had arranged for a driver and tour guides for each day so we didn't deal with the logistics of getting from the Conrad to the sites...

Of course, that experience is not for everyone...but some people actually want that...

This time, as a change of pace, we have booked a 3-night post-cruise at......the Sari Konak!!!

It will sort of be the opposite experience of the Conrad (and will also save us an incredible amount of money...costing us only 99 euro per night...three nights at the Sari Konak is less than a night at the Conrad)...and we can stumble right out of the hotel and be, literally, at the foot of the top tourist sites in Istanbul...

For the OP who wanted a room for 4, take a look at their website and go to the section on Guest rooms and scroll to the bottom for photos of the "Triple room" and note that it says "One extra bed can be put in the triple room upon request"...

Good luck...

http://www.istanbulhotelsarikonak.com/AboutSariKonak.htm

Not sure about the rooms for 4, but we booked a room for 3 at the Hotel Apricot. Got a room for 3 with a balcony that overlooks the Blue Mosque--don't know if it can accomodate 4. Very excited about staying there in early November.

Not sure about the rooms for 4, but we booked a room for 3 at the Hotel Apricot. Got a room for 3 with a balcony that overlooks the Blue Mosque--don't know if it can accomodate 4. Very excited about staying there in early November.

jff50,

We are going to be in Istanbul early Nov. also (gettting off Jade 11/2) and DH insists on a balcony. I'll check out the Apricot. Haven't see that one listed on any sites that I've checked out so far.

Thanks,

Ruth ;)

jff50,

We are going to be in Istanbul early Nov. also (gettting off Jade 11/2) and DH insists on a balcony. I'll check out the Apricot. Haven't see that one listed on any sites that I've checked out so far.

Thanks,

Ruth ;)

You can find it on tripadvisor, in Istanbul hotel ratings and do a search in the Istanbul forums, and you'll pull up posts from people who have stayed there.

You can find it on tripadvisor, in Istanbul hotel ratings and do a search in the Istanbul forums, and you'll pull up posts from people who have stayed there.

Great, thanks. I did a search for Pireaus hotels pre-cruise but haven't made a firm decision yet.

Ruth ;)

jff50,

Thanks,

Ruth ;)

Looks like you'll be getting off as we get on. We are on the Nov 2nd Jade cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona.

• 2 weeks later...

We also have 2 adults and 2 children...and found it pretty tough to find a room in Istanbul. We settled on the 'Hippodrome Hotel' because they offer a 'family room' suitable for a family of four. I believe they just have one of these rooms, but it might be worth checking out.

Archived