3 cases of swine flu reported on Serenade

not exactly a reliable source, anyone can send the info to them and it is not verified.

Granted there may be crew members with flu symptoms but it doesn't mean it is the swine flu and even if it is it is no worse then normal flu.

It has also been posted in the NEWS section here.

As POSSIBLE cases, the ops header as well as the cruisejunkie report make it sound positive which it has not been proven, all this just leads to the more hype and overblown sensationalism.

Not to make light of people who are sick, but this is kinda funny, I mean the fact that this is 'news'.

Any crew members have a toothache? We really want to know.

Point is, this whole flu thing is getting a tad tiring. In the beginning it was really quite spectacular (as reported by the press anyway) and it sounded like people were dropping like flies. We found out that just wasn't the case, so whats the big deal? I'm sure crew members get sick all the time. Who really cares? And before someone chimes in and says we need to know so we can make an infiormed decisionb whether we should cruise on that ship, I say bull%$##.

Does the local supermarket alert you when one or two of thier employees are feeling a bit off?

Not to make light of people who are sick, but this is kinda funny, I mean the fact that this is 'news'.

Any crew members have a toothache? We really want to know.

Point is, this whole flu thing is getting a tad tiring. In the beginning it was really quite spectacular (as reported by the press anyway) and it sounded like people were dropping like flies. We found out that just wasn't the case, so whats the big deal? I'm sure crew members get sick all the time. Who really cares? And before someone chimes in and says we need to know so we can make an infiormed decisionb whether we should cruise on that ship, I say bull%$##.

Does the local supermarket alert you when one or two of thier employees are feeling a bit off?

thank you for your realistic, common sense! This whole thing has been so blown out of proportion it is ridiculous.

"Suspected" being the operative word here.

If you sneeze these days,it is a "suspected" case. My daughter was on a packed subway the other morning and she sneezed and everyone backed up about 15 feet. She said she is going to try it again this week. :D;)

Last week, I had "viral laryngitis"..........which I caught from my DW, who got the "crud" on the Mariner of the Seas. If it's viral........it's a type of the flu virus.

The suspected flu probably does not have anything to do with the swine flu........which seems to be rapidly disappearing.

Rick

thank you for your realistic, common sense! This whole thing has been so blown out of proportion it is ridiculous.

There have been something like 30 deaths (I think) out of a global population of 6 Billion.

Bearing in mind 36,000 deaths in the states and 16,000 deaths in the UK alone on average each year from "common" influenza I think it is disgraceful that the worlds goverments have allowed this to be blown out of all proportion.

Makes you wonder whether it's just to take everyones attention away from the way the bufoons have been running the global economy.;)

There have been something like 30 deaths (I think) out of a global population of 6 Billion.

Bearing in mind 36,000 deaths in the states and 16,000 deaths in the UK alone on average each year from "common" influenza I think it is disgraceful that the worlds goverments have allowed this to be blown out of all proportion.

Makes you wonder whether it's just to take everyones attention away from the way the bufoons have been running the global economy.;)

My theory exactly, remember the movie "Wag the dog"?:rolleyes:

I am not trying to cause a panic by any means, I am heading out on the Serenade in 12 days so it sure would be nice to be given the heads up if there is a situation possibly arising.

I was on the 2007 Freedom of the Seas norovirus cruise----when RCL had plenty of time to notify people days ahead of time but didn't and we were put up in a dump in the Everglades for 2 days so the ship could be cleaned.

Now, I am not saying this is the case at all but, if it is, I want to know about it before hand and not at the pier.:rolleyes:

Last week, I had "viral laryngitis"..........which I caught from my DW, who got the "crud" on the Mariner of the Seas. If it's viral........it's a type of the flu virus.

The suspected flu probably does not have anything to do with the swine flu........which seems to be rapidly disappearing.

Rick

I've had verbal diarrohea on a couple of occassions ;)

I am not trying to cause a panic by any means, I am heading out on the Serenade in 12 days so it sure would be nice to be given the heads up if there is a situation possibly arising.

I was on the 2007 Freedom of the Seas norovirus cruise----when RCL had plenty of time to notify people days ahead of time but didn't and we were put up in a dump in the Everglades for 2 days so the ship could be cleaned.

Now, I am not saying this is the case at all but, if it is, I want to know about it before hand and not at the pier.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about it if you do the basic precations. Oh and stay away from hand santizers. They are only a way for people to feel better about not washing their hands.

There have been TWO suspected cases of flu on Serenade, not 3. In both cases, they tested negative for H1N1 (swine flu). Both just had regular Type A influenza and both responded well to Tamiflu. The authorities in Alaska apparently retested the crew members out of an abundance of caution.

If you sneeze these days,it is a "suspected" case. My daughter was on a packed subway the other morning and she sneezed and everyone backed up about 15 feet. She said she is going to try it again this week. :D;)

LOL! Now that is funny!:D

There have been TWO suspected cases of flu on Serenade, not 3. In both cases, they tested negative for H1N1 (swine flu). Both just had regular Type A influenza and both responded well to Tamiflu. The authorities in Alaska apparently retested the crew members out of an abundance of caution.

So, when were these people tested? I don't believe Serenade has the abilty to test on board, do they? Do you have a source for your statements (not that I don't believe you, I would simply like to read more)

When I came off of the Mariner and got the 'creeping crud' that so many others had, I was accused of having the swine flu, too. Come back from Mexico? Sick? Well then, you automatically have the swine flu.:rolleyes:

I had that happen to me at the store on Friday. I was looking for a Mother's Day card and the aisle was packed. I sneezed twice (it's allergy season in Houston and mine have been bad this year). It's amazing how fast that aisle cleared out! :D

I haven't seen swine flu in the headlines in a couple of days so hopefully the worst of it is over and everyone can go back to panicking about the economy instead.

I agree. I hate the hype, but equally hate the thought of going all the way to Vancouver to deal with a ship in dock for cleaning.

Oh and hand sanitizer is proven to be effective. I'm a nurse and I use it going into and out of a patient's room. THere are times that call for a good scrubbing with soap and water, common sense should dictate those.

I agree. I hate the hype, but equally hate the thought of going all the way to Vancouver to deal with a ship in dock for cleaning.

Oh and hand sanitizer is proven to be effective. I'm a nurse and I use it going into and out of a patient's room. THere are times that call for a good scrubbing with soap and water, common sense should dictate those.

The ship did go through the Panama canal during the outbreaks...who knows what to think:(

Well, we seem to have quite the contingent of epidemiologists here (I shouldn't be surprised, as this forum attracts all kinds of experts). I am sure relieved you have proclaimed this new flu outbreak to be nothing to be concerned about. Did you stay at a H-Inn last night too?

Seriously, while the current form of the virus is not causing too serious of an impact, it is spreading quite readily. Flu viruses are notorious for mutating and combining with other flu viruses, and there is danger it could transform into a much more lethal form or become resistant to the two antivirals that are currently effective against it.

It's not in the news anymore because all the drama is gone, and old news doesn't sell products too well. We are at the end of the season where transmission is no longer favorable in the northern hemisphere. As the southern hemisphere flu season ramps up, we will soon learn if this is going to die off as a fairly benign form of flu or become something to be worried about for next fall. All I know is it is far too early to be blowing this off as nothing to be prepared for.

Archived