Dining table companions

stevet2607

We only took one other cruise before on P&O and chose a table of six. I don't know if it was just luck, but on that occasion the other diners on our table were the same age as us, lived within 100 miles of us, and both couple were on their first cruise like us. I assumed at that time that P&O planned it that way so we had something in common. We take our first TA on July 30th. Does anyone know how Cunard plan their table seating? Not that it makes much difference to us as its fun meeting new people.

We only took one other cruise before on P&O and chose a table of six. I don't know if it was just luck, but on that occasion the other diners on our table were the same age as us, lived within 100 miles of us, and both couple were on their first cruise like us. I assumed at that time that P&O planned it that way so we had something in common. We take our first TA on July 30th. Does anyone know how Cunard plan their table seating? Not that it makes much difference to us as its fun meeting new people.

No idea, but they seem to be able to do it well.....

No idea, but they seem to be able to do it well.....

They do, don't they? I always marvel that Ben ends up in the chair across from me at a table for two.:D

Seriously, they do seem to have a knack for this. As I understand it, the Maitre 'D has a list of all passengers, requested table size, nationality, age, date of booking, etc. This could all be apocryphal.

At any rate, I would not want to be at a table of New Yorkers, my age, etc. No offense meant, but I can do that all the time at home. My favorite voyage, we were seated at a table for six and we got along gangbusters with two elderly, retired lady nurses from the U.K. and went so far as to independently tour with them in two ports.

The other two ladies at our table, well they disappeared after the first night. Never said a word, either at dinner or after. Perhaps they were frightened of my husband and I.:eek:

Fine by us, we foursome had many laughs and at least one quarrel!

"Lady vicars? Oh no, that's not for me!"

Note to self - no talk of religion onboard - although months later she emailed and said she had finally gotten her head around the idea and thought it was OK.:rolleyes:

I recently did a Westbound Transatlantic. I was traveling by myself and I was seated with other women traveling by themselves. I thought this was very nice. We were later joined by a solo gentleman, who had been less fortunate with his original seating arrangement. He did not enjoy his first evening of being seated with three couples, who already knew each other. I am not sure how that happened, as I was REALLY impressed with Cunard's seating arrangements.

I seriously hope that we three women travelling together do not end up on a table with all other women. Not that I have anything against other women :lol:, but I do like a good variety of conversation.

Having said that all my preious Cuanrd voyages, I did on my own and with the possible exception of one table, we all had great fun.

I was travelling solo and was seated with other solos (2 men, 2 women) + a combo mother-daughter travelling together – We were 7 but seated at a table for 8 (this is a good sign – we were assigned the staff officer to dine with us on a formal night – he never showed up but offered the wine, it’s another story). The 2nd night, one of the gentleman had left and an wonderful elderly couple joined us. We had a great time.

I always travel solo and have never been placed at a table of just singles like myself. It's always been a mix of couples and at least one other solo to balance out the numbers and I'm generally at tables for six.

Two years ago I had to request a table change because I had absolutely nothing in common with my tablemates and they rarely made it into first seating at 6 pm until amost 6:30 pm. I was seated with a Scottish couple and an English couple and we had a great time.

Oh, Table Companions -- I have had great ones and ones that made you want to dive off the ship. But, generally, I have throughly enjoyed th company of the strangers we are assigned to sit and eat with.

Only bd experiences: One couple, the wife talked nothing but about the cost of her shoes and bags. Another, the girlfriend cried all during dinner each night, claiming her was being mean to her. But we put up with them (rather than move) because the other companions were great to eat with.

And sometime people willl leave your table for no other reason that they found friends or a companion they know and want to eat with them.

My husband and I just got back from 82 days world cruise on QV. We sat at a table for ten. From Los Angeles to Sydney our table mates were all from Australia. They all got off in Sydney. From Sydney to Singapore all our table mates from Australia. They got off in Singapore. Then from Singapore to Southampton all our table mates from England. We enjoyed them all.

We met a dozen people who live in our area.

Happy Cruising :)

M

Cunard usually does a nice job blending the table. When I was traveling solo on the QE2, I found myself with other solos and a pair of sisters and had a wonderful time.

My only bad experience was on the QM2 where they put me with table of other travel agents and it was like feeding time at the zoo. I moved the next night. :cool:

Most people we have shared a table with have been great. Made some good friends. Our last cruise the people were very nice, two couples both on "special event" cruises for the first time but they were a tad boring.

No, but it was awful. You've never seen such a pinched and wizened group of complainers as a bunch of TAs traveling on TA rates.

And you can bet they were ONLY on the sailing because it was their graduation cruise!

Happily on mine, I sat with three lovely couples from the UK and a business partner of one of the couples. I was the only Yank.

We had a fabulous time!!!

Archived