Get ready for major headaches regarding IDs with "Secure Flight"

sedonanative

Everyone,

This directive was to get people OFF the "no fly" list. Too many Tom Smith's, etc.etc. etc. And if Tom Smith #1 was on the no fly list, so were most other Tom Smith's. By adding middle names, birth dates and gender, the "no fly" lists can be weeded out (or at least that is the theory). And yes, there will be some minor problems for a short time.

PICK one set of ID that you are going to use and use that name consistently for travel, PREFERABLY your passport. Whatever is on your passport, put in your travel reservations. Should not cause many problems in the future. NO ONE asks for more than one set of ID. And a passport is preferable, as it not only establishes your identity, BUT it establishes your CITIZENSHIP. Put away the driver's license, birth certificates, government ID cards (unless they match passports EXACTLY-mine don't). Don't EVEN PULL THEM OUT. USE YOUR PASSPORT and whatever name is on it for hotels, air, cruise ships, ferries, rental cars, whatever mode of travel you need.

I haven't shown anything BUT a passport nor made airline reservations for any name other than my passport name for at least 8 years. And I travel internationally for business A LOT. A passport and using the same name CONSISTENTLY REALLY makes travel easier.

try this for clear as mud......apostrophe in the last name

first name,

middle name or middle initial,

last name with an apostrophe or without,

capital "D" or lower case "D" and get this....

DMV gives a space instead of an apostrophe

Got the question into corporate travel for their opinion... we'll see how long that takes. hahahahaha

Quit using your DL for travel. Too inconsistent between the states. If you don't have a passport, get one. See my post below.

Well, I've got a hyphen in my first name. My passport has it, my DL has a space, my credit cards sometimes have a space, sometimes one word and sometimes a hyphen. I've asked for it to be corrected to match my birth certificate but "special characters" don't work in their systems. Try making a reservation or buying something on line and they simply won't take the correct spelling. So, then what do you do? Sometimes when they put the space between my first name instead of the hyphen, it then becomes two names and who knows where my middle name goes. It seems to me that until all the system match and accept these "special characters" that its going to be pretty hard to enforce this. Even on Princess I have trouble sometimes accessing my cruise because my personalizer has my name one way, the reservation another.

All of this adds to the reasons I'm considering, once retired, becoming an ex-pat. A little over-reach, ya think?
I'm thinking of changing my name to a symbol, like Prince did several years ago. I'll pick something easier, like "@". That should simplify things.

Well, I've got a hyphen in my first name. .

My first and middle name are hyphenated. So I know the feeling.

AIR TRAVEL is the problem (TSA and DHS rules).

When you in put PAYMENT info, use what is on the credit card. They are looking for the SECURITY number on the back of the card and ADDRESS info.

But when you make RESERVATIONS, put your PASSPORT info there. I frequently use a corporate credit card (which has a nickname on it) to pay for travel, hotels, etc. So long as I have the proper info for the RESERVATION (matches my passport), I have been told by DHS that I will have NO problems. I sit on a couple of Commissions that deal with food and transport safety. I have really good transportation contacts at DHS. I have been assured that "banking" (payments-credit cards) have no connection to their databases (no fly-secure flight). Don't even pull your DL out when you travel. Too much confusion.

Quit using your DL for travel. Too inconsistent between the states. If you don't have a passport, get one. See my post below.

Passport has the apostrophe, but SWA won't take it.....nor does cc.

Yowza....

anyway... thanks for the tips.

I'm thinking of changing my name to a symbol, like Prince did several years ago. I'll pick something easier, like "@". That should simplify things.

How about a $? or two or three?

Passport has the apostrophe, but SWA won't take it.....nor does cc.

Yowza....

You mean the online booking form???. Then CALL and have them ADD the apostrophe if you are using your passport to get on a plane.

As we're from the UK, we're used to using our passports as our ID - necessary for travel anywhere outwith the UK. However, we've always made reservations with our first and last names which agree with those on our passports. Our passports also have our middle names - should we start "trying" to add these to any reservations we make for travel within the US?

As we're from the UK, we're used to using our passports as our ID - necessary for travel anywhere outwith the UK. However, we've always made reservations with our first and last names which agree with those on our passports. Our passports also have our middle names - should we start "trying" to add these to any reservations we make for travel within the US?

For airline reservations-yes. The Directive is to somehow distinguish between Tom Smith, Tom Smith III and Tom John Smith. If the form allows it and your passport has your middle name, try to use it. If not, call the airline. They SHOULD NOT charge you to add your middle name.

You mean the online booking form???. Then CALL and have them ADD the apostrophe if you are using your passport to get on a plane.

hmmmm. I'll have to check. It always errors out by " unrecognized character". I figured it was the computer police that stopped me.

thx

I just called NWA to see if there would be a problem because our passports have our full middle names but the reservation our middle initials (that's the only way it could be done when booking on their website) and the guy didn't know what the heck I was talking about as far as the new TSA requirements. He said we should have no problem at all checking in.

New TSA Security Rules in effect today.

Days Off Travel [http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102582520005&s=3551&e=0015crrZkYDnhmSC1f9MACzC-49_3UeO6_KrFpqYIBWbSeY_CWiSwYeAdISmuChoNHwI2Gg2jzPH7d-dVnMeF3cYRvJPciREw4V4r9DZoCcdymFQHV8NG2ExA==]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TSA Secure Flight rules:

Phase 1 effective May 15, 2009:

All airline tickets purchased today and in the future must show the full legal name of the passenger as it appears on identification used at airport security.

Example: If your name on your driver's license shows Sue Ellen Murphy then your airline ticket must match and also so Sue Ellen Murphy.

Tickets purchased before May 15, 2009 are exempt but you may experience security delays and the possibility of denied boarding.

Phase 2 effective August 15, 2009:

All airline tickets for travel within the US must include the full name (exact ID as described above), date of birth, and gender.

Phase 3 effective October 31, 2009:

All international airline tickets must include the full name (exact ID match as described above), date of birth and gender.

;););););)

I know that when I fly I do not give my middle name on the reservations even though my middle name is on my driver's license and passport. I have never had any problems with security.I'm wondering if this now means that when making my reservations I need to include my middle name????

I know that when I fly I do not give my middle name on the reservations even though my middle name is on my driver's license and passport. I have never had any problems with security.I'm wondering if this now means that when making my reservations I need to include my middle name????

I just saw your post, that's the same thing I do. Full Middle name if it's on your ID must be the change.

Everyone,

This directive was to get people OFF the "no fly" list. Too many Tom Smith's, etc.etc. etc. And if Tom Smith #1 was on the no fly list, so were most other Tom Smith's. By adding middle names, birth dates and gender, the "no fly" lists can be weeded out (or at least that is the theory). And yes, there will be some minor problems for a short time.

PICK one set of ID that you are going to use and use that name consistently for travel, PREFERABLY your passport. Whatever is on your passport, put in your travel reservations. Should not cause many problems in the future. NO ONE asks for more than one set of ID. And a passport is preferable, as it not only establishes your identity, BUT it establishes your CITIZENSHIP. Put away the driver's license, birth certificates, government ID cards (unless they match passports EXACTLY-mine don't). Don't EVEN PULL THEM OUT. USE YOUR PASSPORT and whatever name is on it for hotels, air, cruise ships, ferries, rental cars, whatever mode of travel you need.

[/quote

Good advice for the future, but I'm booked on an international flight next week and a cruise. My passport is the only document I have that has first name, maiden name, married name. When booking the cruise I asked TA whether it should be booked in exactly my passport name. Was told that neither middle name not initial was needed. My int'l flight was booked online with name, middle initial, last name, exactly as on all my my credit and FF card.

Even if I could change the booking name (doubtful) to agree with passport, wouldn't there be a problem with the FF and credit cards? Wouldn't I need to get new credit and FF cards by Wednesday?

Don't know that it helps, but all three of my names are uncommon.

Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the Airline...when purchasing tickets online...to "Clearly" state this? Half the travelers flying in the next few months will be denied boarding according to this, depending on when they purchased their tickets.

When filling out the ONLINE paperwork for my cruise next week on Princess the website noted this very clearly: Name on Boarding Pass must appear as it appears on Passport.

In addition...I have a friend who SWEARS that as of April 1st, 2009 Americans need a Visa to visit the UK. [Note the start date???]

H L R

I have a friend who SWEARS that as of April 1st, 2009 Americans need a Visa to visit the UK. [Note the start date???]

H L R

Your friend is misinformed. If you are a U.S.National, legally residing in the U.S. and coming to the UK for a visit, then you do not require a visa.

Your friend is misinformed. If you are a U.S.National, legally residing in the U.S. and coming to the UK for a visit, then you do not require a visa.

They must not have April Fools Day in the UK!:D

:D:D:D LOL. . .

I would imagine that there will be some flexibility as this is put into effect. . .as of right now, American Airlines doesn't even give you the option of putting your middle name on a reservation.

Last year cruising overseas I was very concerned about the wording for my DH and DS. They are "Sr." and "Jr." Obviously first, middle and last names the same. Airlines and Princess never put Sr or Jr down even though the passports stated so. Do they not have the capability of Sr or Jr? All worked out fine though.

Archived