Get ready for major headaches regarding IDs with "Secure Flight"

sedonanative

Tomorrow I am flying from a US city to a Canadian city and was denied online checkin because my reservation name does not match my passport name IDENTICALLY.

For people named "Betsy" or "Rich" or something, I am sure it isn't a big deal for you, because you are used to it. But the problem for me is that my middle name appears on my passport but nowhere else.

I don't know if I will be denied boarding or not.

Now, here are some FAQs http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/faqs.shtm that say they are going to be lenient for a while, but who really knows?

Incidentally, you cannot simply add your middle name to your FF accounts for airlines--they will also require substantial paperwork (like a passport copy) mailed to them. This will take weeks. So if you want your mileage to accumulate you better contact them ASAP.

Thanks for the update. I learned of the new rules when I tried to add missed mileage to my DH's United account. The friendly United Plus phone rep carefully walked me through updating DH's name in the records and mine as well. She was patient while I checked my military ID, which is what I usually use for ID since it is always in my wallet and easy to get to.

So I do indeed agree with you - call all your airline cards and update now! and then remember to make all future reservations with your whole name.

I saw something on this a week or two on my local news so I checked, since I go by my middle name. My passport, driver's license and airline account all list BOTH names. For those who use your middle name, using both names helps with this problem.

Tomorrow I am flying from a US city to a Canadian city and was denied online checkin because my reservation name does not match my passport name IDENTICALLY.

For people named "Betsy" or "Rich" or something, I am sure it isn't a big deal for you, because you are used to it. But the problem for me is that my middle name appears on my passport but nowhere else.

I don't know if I will be denied boarding or not.

Now, here are some FAQs http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/faqs.shtm that say they are going to be lenient for a while, but who really knows?

Incidentally, you cannot simply add your middle name to your FF accounts for airlines--they will also require substantial paperwork (like a passport copy) mailed to them. This will take weeks. So if you want your mileage to accumulate you better contact them ASAP.

I do not believe that you will be denied boarding ... you may need to jump thru more hoops to get your boarding pass.

Because of your thread, I did call AA, as we booked in February for November flights. The AA rep told me the procedures are not fully in place yet (think how often the feds changed the deadline requiring passports for air/land/sea travel for Mexico/Carib/Canada/Bermuda). When it is fully implemented for AA, there should be an announcement on their website mandating identical match for tickets bought on/after a certain date. Any tickets bought on/after that date likely would incur a change fee to alter the ticket names to agree exactly with the ID passengers are using. For those who bought tickets prior ... changes likely will be made at checkin and likely will be done as a fee-free courtesy. Mind you, the telerep (who, by the way is not a contractor in Bangalore) does not make policy, but this is her interpretation, after working with her supervisor once calls such as mine started rolling in, as to how it will unfold.

No way to know how any of the airlines will handle the Secure Flight rollout and possible required name changes.

I never have any trouble since I do not have a middle name and I go by first name. DW has a middle initial though that doesn't stand for anything so she does run into trouble a lot of the time.

That is truly weird ... how in heaven does the airline/government know that your names do not match exactly? When doing online checkin, I do not recall ever having to indicate what ID I'll be using and what exact name is shown on same.

Couple of years ago, I was unable to do online checkin. Further, unable to use the self-checkin kiosk at the airport. Wandered up to the ticket counter to checkin ... gave the gal my printed confirmation and my passport and she did some magic in the computer and, voila, never had the issue again. Ever since, online checkin has worked for us.

So, perhaps, there is a reason other than names not matching exactly that is preventing your online checkin. Maybe passengers are randomly selected for in-person checkin.

To add insult to injury, my drivers license, which I would typically use for ID on a domestic flight, has First Name, Middle Initial, and Last Name. However for an international flight, I would present my passport, which has First, Middle, and Last Name. So if I had booked an international flight using FN, MI, and LN, but presented my passport, which has FN, MN, LN, what would happen? To quote Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

When I got married and changed my name, I faxed a copy of my marriage certificate and a copy of my new driver's license. The records were all updated within 24 hours. Not weeks.

To add insult to injury, my drivers license, which I would typically use for ID on a domestic flight, has First Name, Middle Initial, and Last Name. However for an international flight, I would present my passport, which has First, Middle, and Last Name. So if I had booked an international flight using FN, MI, and LN, but presented my passport, which has FN, MN, LN, what would happen? To quote Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

You are correct. So perhaps if you are booking international, you must use full name- first, middle and last.

My Drivers License and passport both have first, middle and last. Think that is required on Driver's License in Calif, and is definitely required on passports.

Probably the bigger issue is the one a lot of people (including my DW of almost 25 years) face when newly married. Her name was different on her passport (issued about 2 years prior to our marriage) from her ticket. Not a problem back then, but a much bigger problem today!

I believe that when signing up for United's Mileage Plus program, you cannot put in a middle name but only an initial-- therefore, there is no way my passport (with middle name) can match my membership #. Will they (and other airlines) change their site or will this take a phone call? Nice as most of the people on the phone lines are, I HATE MAKING PHONE CALLS!

I am flying to Seattle and then taking the "Quick-Shuttle up to Vancouver. I might run into a problem at the border but I doubt it. My passport as my first, middle and last name as does my HAL credit card.

It shouldn't be a problem regarding your mileage program whether or not you use a middle name or initial ... what has been the case for a while with international travel is that the name on the ticket must match the name on the passport. Now it seems the new caveat is that domestically your ticket and ID or DL will have to match. I just booked a domestic trip on UA and the travel agent insisted I get everyone's names in line with their DL's.

I believe that when signing up for United's Mileage Plus program, you cannot put in a middle name but only an initial-- therefore, there is no way my passport (with middle name) can match my membership #. Will they (and other airlines) change their site or will this take a phone call? Nice as most of the people on the phone lines are, I HATE MAKING PHONE CALLS!

As I wrote above, when I called to update my DH's account, they did take middle names. I have a long, long "real" name - hyphenated and all that - and they had room for all of it now. Must have changed their system a tad.

It shouldn't be a problem regarding your mileage program whether or not you use a middle name or initial ... what has been the case for a while with international travel is that the name on the ticket must match the name on the passport. Now it seems the new caveat is that domestically your ticket and ID or DL will have to match. I just booked a domestic trip on UA and the travel agent insisted I get everyone's names in line with their DL's.

Well I have flown Firstname Lastname internationally many times with no hassle from the agents at TSA or from the airlines even though my middle name does not appear on my reservation or boarding pass although does appear on my passport.

What this program looks like is that going forward this IS going to be a problem, even though it has not been one in the past. Your ID that you use to fly must be exactly the same as your boarding pass. I plan to update my driver's license to include my middle name and from now on keep it FN MN LN.

Oddly enough I had to be at the airport late last night and got my boarding pass there with no difficulty. To make matters somewhat more complicated is that the agent had absolutely no idea what I was talking about with regard to this program. She seems as well educated on it as I was. :( It can be so frustrating when airlines and the TSA do not work in tandem.

My guess is that no harm is going to come from it this afternoon when I travel, but I am printing out a copy of the TSA FAQs that I plan to carry just in case.

This will be interesting to see how this works out. I have never used my FULL NAME when traveling. Whether airfare or cruise, I use my first name and last name for the reservation. My passport, like others posting, has my FULL NAME, first/middle/last and it has never been a problem.

I just made cruise reservations yesterday for a cruise in 2010, and the agent only asked for first and last names. Maybe I'll email her and see what she has to say about this issue.

I was reviewing (online) the report a local station did on this. They mentioned that eventually the name used on your credit card must match also. Now I don't see how that will work since sometimes a different person's credit card will be used. (such as a parent for a child, employer for employee, etc.)

"So from now on, always book your flights in the name that is on your
DRIVER'S LICENSE
and
METHOD OF PAYMENT (CREDIT CARD)
. If those names do not match, you may eventually have to change how you list your name on one or both to avoid any hassles at the airport."
Quote from WMC web site.

I was reviewing (online) the report a local station did on this. They mentioned that eventually the name used on your credit card must match also. Now I don't see how that will work since sometimes a different person's credit card will be used. (such as a parent for a child, employer for employee, etc.)

"So from now on, always book your flights in the name that is on your
DRIVER'S LICENSE
and
METHOD OF PAYMENT (CREDIT CARD)
. If those names do not match, you may eventually have to change how you list your name on one or both to avoid any hassles at the airport."
Quote from WMC web site.

All of this adds to the reasons I'm considering, once retired, becoming an ex-pat. A little over-reach, ya think?

All of this adds to the reasons I'm considering, once retired, becoming an ex-pat. A little over-reach, ya think?

That's why I keep sailng the Carribbean, I'm scouting out my retirement home! :D

I just checked with Delta and they've informed the government that their system does not support storing a middle name, so they have an exemption at least for now. I don't know about other airlines.

Thanks for calling Delta and sharing your results! We have two future trips flying with Delta and I went online to see if we could add middle names, but no place for them.

This is really going to be interesting! My driver's license has my first, last and maiden name. Passport has first, last and middle name. Most air tickets have just first and last names and FF cards have just first and last names. Wonder just how much more difficult they can make travel? There is a very good article in today's Wall Street Journal about the "old days" of air travel. How I miss those times.

try this for clear as mud......apostrophe in the last name

first name,

middle name or middle initial,

last name with an apostrophe or without,

capital "D" or lower case "D" and get this....

DMV gives a space instead of an apostrophe

Got the question into corporate travel for their opinion... we'll see how long that takes. hahahahaha

Archived