Outrageous Packing Confessions

I usually start a packing list months ahead of a cruise, but I am so freaked out by our next one that I'm actually avoiding it.

We are on a continuous 33 days on board ship (it's two long cruises b2b). On top of that we're going to several different climates. I have to pack for tropical weather in French Polynesia, then 60's to 80's in Australia. Then, three days in Sydney, then two in Hawaii.

Oh, yeah, we also have THREE different airlines with their luggage restrictions, so I have to pack to the lowest weight allowed by the three.

I'm going crazy trying to figure it all out!!! :eek:

I'm trying to pack lighter because I really don't like unpacking when we get home.:eek: Packing is fun; unpacking is not. We get complimentary laundry on HAL so I always have things done and come home with folded and pressed shirts, etc. One less thing to do! If we have to pay for it on another line, well that's part of cruise expenses.:rolleyes: My back is beginning to be problematic so I try to not bend over more than I have to.

Key word, "TRY." "Try" not to bend; "try" not to overpack...you get the idea.

I just booked another cruise and I think I may have learned my lesson. I wound up not goign to the gym at all and would have had more room if I left that stuff.

I didn't regret bringing an extra 2 dresses though. By the end of the week, having options was good (looser dresses won out!). I also will be bringing 5 or 6 bikinis for my 8 day cruise. I was good with shoes, but unfortunately all 3 pairs of dress shoes were new and I'm still recovering with my blisters.

The more we travel and cruise, the better we become at efficient packing. So the best answer is to travel and cruise more often :)

What I have learned is that better quality clothing hold up better than cheap fabrics. I now never pack with a theme, such as tropical or cruise related clothing, those are so limiting with their "shelf life". Most importantly, no one really notices that you wore the same shorts/t shirt/black slacks/dress shoes/sandals more than once, you are the only one who knows that.

Bathing suits don't count, especially bikinis. I only wear a one piece, but for a 7 night cruise I take 3 or 4, they take up minimal space and weight. Since I don't go into the pool and rarely the hot tubs I don't care to wash the suits in between wearings.

Wow, you don't mind paying $180 or more in luggage fees? I think I'd rather spend that money on a new dress or pants outfit.

Sorry, I'm not an overpacker any more. I got over it a few years ago and travel is so much more pleasant now.

I'm so with you on this one. One trip to Europe dealing with trains and I'm cured for life.

I was on part of a world cruise a couple of years ago, and shared a table with a woman, traveling alone, who was doing the entire world cruise. She had 14 trunks of clothes and shoes and one trunk alone was for her hats. She wore a hat every day, sometimes even at night. She had the huge full-skirted ball gowns for formal nights. When one segment was finished, she would repack a trunk, and have the room stewardess bring up another one---she had them all divided into segments. I've never seen anyone dressed so incredibly. I went shopping with her in Dubai and she purchased an amazing diamond/emerald necklace that was shaped like a peacock's tail---an amazing $80,000 and she didn't blink once at the price. Oh, and she told me her financial manager "limited" her to $15,000 a week for gambling---she only played the $5 and $25 dollar slots.

Well I am trying something new with packing. I am going to take one large suitcase. One small suitcase and a garment bag. The small suitcase I am filling with all of the shoes that I will need and a few other items that I need to bring on the ship with me. Hopefully this will make more room in the big suitcase for the non formal dress clothes. Also hope they do not get wrinkled. The garment bag will have our formal wear in it. I put up a large table in our guest room. I have been putting stuff on the table that we need to take. Maybe this way we will not forget something. Usually I just try to cram everything into one large suitcase and the garment bag.

Archived