Outrageous Packing Confessions

Ok...I see so many threads about people bringing 2 pairs of shoes and fitting all their items into one suitcase for a week + long cruise. I just can't fathom that.

I'm guilty of overpacking and sometimes kind of proud of it! lol

On my last 8 day cruise, I brought 8 different bikinis, 7 pairs of shoes and a dress for every night. I also brought daywear which I never really even wore, but I had in case I wanted it.

I leave for a 9 day cruise out of NY on Sunday and luckily with the new travel restrictions, I don't have to fly. I have a garment bag with all my night clothes and a fairly large roll on with all my shoes, bikinis, pajamas, workout clothes, etc. I got down to 6 pairs of shoes and 6 bikinis this time, but I do have back up dresses for night.

Please tell me I'm not alone! :D

I hear you! I've actually started to make a list for my 7-day on Liberty of the Seas in Oct. I started thinking of things that I wanted to remember to pack, so I decided to start a list because I just won't remember. Like you, I don't have to fly. I think I'm up to 7 pairs of shoes, 5 cocktail dresses, 1 maxi dress, one sexy tunic top with leggings, and yes, a back-up outfit in case a spaghetti strap rips or a zipper breaks! We'll have 3 sea days, plus the Labadee, Haiti port is a beach stop. 3 bathing suits are definitely going, waiting for a new 2-piece on mail order. Hoping that will go too, as well as 2 cover-ups. One's like a wrap style dress and is a very soft cotton. The other, well, just had to have one of the new dresses with the strapless pucker on top.

And let's now forget what we'll be wearing in in the gym, in port, and outfits to change into in the evening if you don't feel like staying dressed. So now we're talking shorts, comfy sneakers for walking, tops, nice jeans, more casual sandals, etc.

As far as suit cases, I'll definitely bring what I brought last year - one large suit case, garment bag, and a carry-on. How my parents cruise for a week with one large bag and garment bag between the two of them is beyond me!

Just got done packing tonight for our 10 days away.

Two people in one medium size and one carry on.

Usually we do two carry ons but one broke so we went to a medium size since our flight is non stop and we can check it through. I feel like I have wayyyyyyyy over packed.

Going to the Caribbean and I don't even have a pair of shorts packed for me. LOL

I am definitely the less I pack, the better.

Welcome to Over Packers Anonymous.:D

I fly to all my cruises and my suitcases are packed to just within the limits. Last cruise I limited myself to only 6 pairs of shoes, but I'm debating taking a 2nd suitcase this time, so I can bring a few more.:p

Welcome to Over Packers Anonymous.:D

I certainly belong in this club! Don't know what I am going to do when I actually have to fly to a cruise again. We've been driving over to LA for the last few but I am getting that itch to go out of Florida or San Juan again. It's going to be awful to have to limit my choices so much! :eek:

Hi, I too am an overpacker. My husband and I look like the Beverly Hillbillies when we travel. The two of us have 5 checked bags and 2 carryons for a 1 week cruise. I am not kidding. I don't care about the extra baggage fees - I just consider it a cost of the trip. We always have the very best time and have no plans of changing our packing strategy.

Barbara

I manage to pack for week long cruise in one (big) suitcase. If we fly, it weighs 49 1/2 lbs. LOL. If we drive, all bets are off. :) I am guilty of bringing 5 swimsuits, and usually 7 dresses...casual to formal. As for shoes, I wear a pair, and bring 4 more...2 flip flops and 2 dress shoes. I can survive with 3 pairs of shorts, but bring a different tank/tee for each day. Does this make me an over packer? :confused:

DH is an underpacker, so I always throw a few items into his bag when he's not looking. :p

Hi, I too am an overpacker. My husband and I look like the Beverly Hillbillies when we travel. The two of us have 5 checked bags and 2 carryons for a 1 week cruise. I am not kidding. I don't care about the extra baggage fees - I just consider it a cost of the trip. We always have the very best time and have no plans of changing our packing strategy.

Barbara

Wow, you don't mind paying $180 or more in luggage fees? I think I'd rather spend that money on a new dress or pants outfit.

Sorry, I'm not an overpacker any more. I got over it a few years ago and travel is so much more pleasant now.

I try to take as less as possible. I mix and max my clothes and will wear one outfit more than once. I will only pack a couple pairs of shoes and do not care if it matches or not.

I often tease my husband that he takes up 3/4 of the closet at home because I do not have much interest in clothes or shoes.

Well - 2 of the bags are our scuba gear and 1 of the bags is the bags we carry the scuba gear in when we go diving. It would cost me at least $180 to rent gear for a week for the both of us. What gets me is having to lug all those bags - not paying for them.

Well - 2 of the bags are our scuba gear and 1 of the bags is the bags we carry the scuba gear in when we go diving. It would cost me at least $180 to rent gear for a week for the both of us. What gets me is having to lug all those bags - not paying for them.

That is a different story altogether. Most of the overpackers are taking enough clothing for a year long trip.

I have to make a full confession. Not only do I overpack before I leave, but I buy so much stuff while I'm gone that I've been forced on more than one occasion to buy another suitcase just to get everything home!:o

Hi all from Texas,

I'm right in there with the rest of the over packers. Right now I'm facing an interesting dilema. Due to my over packing issues and the cost of excess baggage, we are now driving to the ports so I can haul "everything" I think I need (yea, right). My husband is a clothes horse too. So that really adds to the problem.

Our next cruises begin in September out of Cape Liberty, New Jersey (Constellation, New England/Canada 14 days) probably cool/cold weather conditions at this time of year. We

arrive back in New Jersey on Oct 3, and then we will pick up our car and head out to

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for a 28 day BTB Panama Canal cruise (Lauderdale to San Diego and

return). Probably still warm and humid on this trip.

My dilema: Almost 42 days of consecutive cruising with two different weather conditions and clothing issues. Fortunately, we have relatives in Virginia with whom we will visit long enough to catch up on laundry and exchange the cool weather clothes for warm weather clothes which I will have left there on the trip "up" from Texas.

We will be "hauling" a minimum of two LARGE bags, two medium bags, two carry-on's and

the extra bag packed with the exchange clothing. Fortunately for us, we do drive a large

Chrysler 300C. Between the trunk and back seat, we manage to pack everything.

Most airlines allow a 70 lb bag limit for international destinations, but the number of bags in total makes it extremely difficult to handle. Just tipping the baggage handlers to get the bags to the check-in counter is almost as costly as the excess baggage fees (yikes)!

So, now that we are both retired and have the time, our game plan is to drive and see the country and enjoy the trip. Next year, our plan is an Australia cruise, but we will drive to

Los Angeles, leave the car there, fly to Australia and cruise back to L.A. pick up the car and drive home to Houston, Texas.

We are trying to get all of our cruising in now, because we won't be able to handle the logistics in the not too distant future.

Bon Voyage to all!

Yep, I'm an overpacker. Not only do I take as many shoes as I think I need, I take a dress for each night, an outfit for each day, swim wear for each day, plus all the other little travel goodies I can fit in my large suit case.:D

Hi all from Texas,

Most airlines allow a 70 lb bag limit for international destinations, but the number of bags in total makes it extremely difficult to handle. Just tipping the baggage handlers to get the bags to the check-in counter is almost as costly as the excess baggage fees (yikes)!

Bon Voyage to all!

I called SAS today to double check on the luggage allowance. I was told each person can bring two bags weighing 44 lbs each! So a total of 88 lbs right?

Yet if you bring one bigger bag, it can't weight over 66 lbs. I hope I heard it right.

Barbara

Wow, I am going to print this and frame it. Then when DH tells me I am bringing too much stuff, I will just point to it. (I won't bother to tell him that some of it is scuba gear:D)

For our upcoming cruise we fly to San Francisco, stay there 5 days, board the ship for 11 days, end up in Vancouver and stay there 4 days. So I am trying not to have too terribly much stuff, but I am sure I will have at least 4 pair of shoes (actually I will be doing really well if I only take 4!) altho DH will have alot too, as he has to take tux. I need walking shoes, formal shoes, casual shoes (flats and heels) touring clothes, formal clothes........ I figure I will have to check 1 lg. suitcase and 1 medium just for me and take a carry on.

If you believe the Nostradamus stuff, the world is supposed to end in 2012, so what the hell? A little extra luggage is no big deal.;)

Ok...I see so many threads about people bringing 2 pairs of shoes and fitting all their items into one suitcase for a week + long cruise. I just can't fathom that.

I'm guilty of overpacking and sometimes kind of proud of it! lol

On my last 8 day cruise, I brought 8 different bikinis, 7 pairs of shoes and a dress for every night. I also brought daywear which I never really even wore, but I had in case I wanted it.

I leave for a 9 day cruise out of NY on Sunday and luckily with the new travel restrictions, I don't have to fly. I have a garment bag with all my night clothes and a fairly large roll on with all my shoes, bikinis, pajamas, workout clothes, etc. I got down to 6 pairs of shoes and 6 bikinis this time, but I do have back up dresses for night.

Please tell me I'm not alone! :D

You are not alone. Last time I brought 4 swimsuits, 8 or 9 pairs of shoes, a different outfit for each night, 3 or 4 pairs of pajamas, a different outfit/cover up for each day plus fun stuff to decorate the room, jewelry and at least 4 purses for evening.

Between Mom and I, we had 2 big bags, 1 garment bag, 2 carryons and 2 small purses for money/cameras and so on. Plus, we brought an extra bag that we packed in one of our big bags to have to carry our souvenirs home (small duffle bag-small enough to be a carryon but sturdy enough to check it if we needed too).

I'm an overpacker and proud of it!

One thing we did that really helped a lot (and saved room for shoes!) was to buy our toiletries in our embarkation city. We went to a grocery store, bought water (put it in the small duffle bag!) and got shampoo, toothpaste and so on to share between us. We'll definitely do that again.

If you believe the Nostradamus stuff, the world is supposed to end in 2012, so what the hell? A little extra luggage is no big deal.;)

OMG - I didn't know that :eek: I should probably book a world cruise for next year!!! Now that would be a packing nightmare!!

Isn't overpacking a tradition for us women when we go on holiday?

I pack, unpack, repack - it kinda goes on like that for a week or so before I go away and I am entirely satisfied that I've got as much as I possible can in there.

The "packing room" looks like a boutique before we go with complete outfits all hung on clothes rails. I like to pack each complete outfit (which includes the underwear, outfit, shoes and jewellery) together so if a suitcase goes astray at least I will have items that match/shoes that go with the outfit.

I also cross-pack mine and my DH's clothes and try to put day wear and evening wear into each so we are OK if there is a luggage problem.

I read somewhere a few years ago that when one goes on a world cruise, one packs in those hanging wardrobe boxes that the movers have and ship them ahead. If one can afford a world cruise, what's a few wardrobe boxes!:D

The more I cruise, the less I pack. For a 7 night sailing, I decide (at home) what outfits I will wear and don’t pack anything for “just in case I change my mind”. I may take fewer than 7 by wearing a piece or two twice. (Shhh, don’t tell) I take 3 swimsuits and 2 covers, a few pairs of capris and tops and I am set. I take one pair of dress high heel sandals that work for the formal dresses as well as the slacks or skirts for casual evenings. 2 workout sets, and one pr. of sneakers, flat sandals and flip flops. I think that is 4 pair of shoes, plus the shoes I wear on the ship. The formal dresses I pack are thin and packable and take up virtually NO room. I take a small dress handbag for formal nights and a neutral small bag for the casual nights (to hold lipstick, sea pass cad and camera)

At this point I don’t worry about the appropriate color shoes or handbag for each outfit. I always dress according to the suggested dress code, feel nicely dressed and (I think) look nice.

Weight is not an issue as we prefer to drive (sometimes 10 hours) to port. I just don’t want to bother with all the extra packing and unpacking of items we don’t need. With fewer choices, getting ready takes no time at all.

M

Archived