"NO TORN JEANS"

kimmariecarr

Even Carnival has a no jeans at dinner rule.

It's not such a difficult rule to follow. I doubt that people would go into a 5-star land restaurant improperly attired. Guys would wear jacket & tie, women in nice dresses or pant-suites.

The cruises are not demanding this type of dress-------just resort casual. Nice slacks and non-tee shirt tops for everyone. Most ships accept capri pants for women.

I have worn them with dressy sandals and tops----------no problem.

If you feel like wearing your shorts & jeans for supper, go to the buffets. That's what they are there for.

... is completely reasonable. 100%. People who are unwilling to eat in a different location that night are only exercising their 'right' to be jerks.

That having been said, I wish some people would calm down about the whole "don't spoil the elegance" thing. Honey, this ain't the Titanic and you ain't John Astor or Kate Winslet;). There are some people who would like there to be an 'upscale' dress code enforced everywhere for the duration of the cruise. These are the people who buy their cruise wardrobe at 'Target' because they're convinced it really is hipper than Wal-Mart.

Some people need to get over the flu, some people need to get over themselves.

... is completely reasonable. 100%. People who are unwilling to eat in a different location that night are only exercising their 'right' to be jerks.

That having been said, I wish some people would calm down about the whole "don't spoil the elegance" thing. Honey, this ain't the Titanic and you ain't John Astor or Kate Winslet;). There are some people who would like there to be an 'upscale' dress code enforced everywhere for the duration of the cruise. These are the people who buy their cruise wardrobe at 'Target' because they're convinced it really is hipper than Wal-Mart.

Some people need to get over the flu, some people need to get over themselves.

Hey, Greg. As much as we have criticized the Majesty, we found the passengers onboard dressed very nicely and noticeably better than they were on our Mariner cruise a couple of months later. Further, NCL had a code and did enforce it. Personally, we find it easy to follow rules but we aren't going to let those who don't bother us in any way.

OT a bit, what's the best hotel close to the Colosseum? We go to several NBA and WNBA games a year and we've always stayed at the Renaissance. It's fine for one night but we're always looking for something better. Thanks.

There aren't many choices near the Colosseum and the Renaissance is the best of what's there. This is the Bobcat's first year as a franchise (they just beat the ex-Charlotte Hornets in their first home game hosting them:)) and their last year at the Colosseum.

The new Charlotte Arena opens next season. The arena is in the 'center city' where there are many choices. The arena is also just outside my window, my desk is almost closer the the main entrance than the seats on the far side of the court!)

I've got mixed emotions about the move to center city because of the traffic but we'll get used to it.

We're lifelong UConn fans and, of course, big fans of Emeka Okafor. As great a basketball player as he is he may have been an even better student. This is one very bright guy who is destined for greatness.

Enjoy your cruise. We had complaints but we had a great time nonetheless.

Why is the minimal dress code always addressed on N.C.L. boards and never on Cel., H.A.L. or R.C.C.L. lines. Lets get with it folks, resort casual is like going to a nice restaurant on Sat. nite, unless you live the mountains on Tenn.,or you are from the East Coast, where you are always looking for a reason to complain. It is a dress code that is anything but unreasonable. I might be wrong,[the !st. time] but it's no big deal to go along with the program.

Gee, do you mean the entire East Coast:eek: ?I would be careful, there are a lot of East Coasters on here. I am shocked that no one responded to you before me:p I guess they didn`t want to complain:D

I betcha there are a lot of nice restaurants in the mountains in Tenn., the ones that leave their stills out in back, not in the front:D

"...unless you live the mountains on Tenn.,or you are ...
If you're going to put down people from Tennessee like you're somehow superior you may want to use some semblance of grammar. It's like the person who, in an earlier pos,t characterized something as being "plebeian" and misspelled it - ha ha ha!

signed,

a Proud Southerner

Why is the minimal dress code always addressed on N.C.L. boards and never on Cel., H.A.L. or R.C.C.L. lines. Lets get with it folks, resort casual is like going to a nice restaurant on Sat. nite, unless you live the mountains on Tenn.,or you are from the East Coast, where you are always looking for a reason to complain. It is a dress code that is anything but unreasonable. I might be wrong,[the !st. time] but it's no big deal to go along with the program.

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Annoyed by complainers and anyone who does not go along with the program I see? Perhaps you live here on the East Coast with the rest of us? ;)

I personally always follow the dress codes wherever I happen to be dining, cruise ship or land based. To me it is jsut good manners, and it was the behavior my family insisted upon. If someone doesn't follow the rules, I figure they were either raised by parents who did not place much inportance on manners or etiquette, or are just lazy. The thing I find much more annoying than jeans (both at sea and on land based restaurants) is men sitting down to eat without removing their ballcaps. I especially find it aggravating if I am in a "better" restaurant. I think that the parents of these offenders should have shouted "Take your hat off at the table!!" a bit louder and more often. Just my opinion, but I think it is much ruder than jeans.

I personally always follow the dress codes wherever I happen to be dining, cruise ship or land based. To me it is jsut good manners, and it was the behavior my family insisted upon. If someone doesn't follow the rules, I figure they were either raised by parents who did not place much inportance on manners or etiquette, or are just lazy. The thing I find much more annoying than jeans (both at sea and on land based restaurants) is men sitting down to eat without removing their ballcaps. I especially find it aggravating if I am in a "better" restaurant. I think that the parents of these offenders should have shouted "Take your hat off at the table!!" a bit louder and more often. Just my opinion, but I think it is much ruder than jeans.

Last Easter Sunday while dining in a very nice restaurant we were surprised to see so many (probably a dozen) wearing baseball caps while eating. It was quite comical really and this restaurant was more formal than your local Texas Roadhouse, Outback or Applebys, although the food wasn't any better.

I'm sure the parents of these folks were planted years ago. These men were all in their mid to upper 70's and I would bet they were from all parts of the country.

If you're going to put down people from Tennessee like you're somehow superior you may want to use some semblance of grammar. It's like the person who, in an earlier pos,t characterized something as being "plebeian" and misspelled it - ha ha ha!

signed,

a Proud Southerner

why how PLEBEIAN of you to point that out in your POS'T !!!!!

lol

I had read these posts before we left and I admit: I was a bit concerned. But, trust me - it's no problem. We dressed like we would for dinner - jacks & khaks - and I don't think we were overdressed. The dining room was either dark or it was because I didn't have my glasses but I couldn't see what anyone else was wearing so presumably they couldn't see me so it sorted itself out. The larger problem was moving about the corridors and in the public rooms - it was difficult to figure out how to blend in here without appearing ostentatious so what we did was to dress for the day as we would and only change if we left the cabin, which we didn't do often. So if we left the cabin we ditched our clothes and put on jeans we had brought and un-tucked our shirts and then went to do whatever it was we had to do and redress when we got to our room. Sometimes, when we got to warmer climes, we skipped the shirt altogether and pulled our undershirts out instead. This worked well and I don't think anyone noticed us. (We discussed going all the way and walking out bared foot but the idea of that makes me cringe even as I write it so we could never manage to pull that off although, at one point, we had a $100 dare with one of the couples we met - never were any takers.) The only exceptions we made (other than dinner) was a reception we were invited to. One of us did the jeans and untucked shirt thing and slipped downstairs to see what the others were wearing and then came back and we went down to that in jackets/trousers and we met some couples who were hosting private parties and got invited to those and wore jackets/trousers (no-ties) Otherwise - if your goal is to disappear into the crowd - jeans and loose shirts or undershirts will do the trick so keep that at hand and you're covered, so to speak. It's not a problem. (By the way: holes in jeans may not be indicative of a slob. We went to Charleston a day early to do some shopping and to buy among other things some jeans. At Saks and the Gap and A&F they sell jeans with holes already in them and believe me: the prices for these holes will raise eyebrows more quickly than the wearing of the jeans ever would. Needless to say, we could not go quite that far so we bought the less expensive jeans without the holes!)

At Saks and the Gap and A&F they sell jeans with holes already in them and believe me: the prices for these holes will raise eyebrows
We stayed over a night in San Diego after a cruise. We walked through a mall where we found a Nordstram. Never been in one before so we looked around.

We saw a young girl (talking on the cel) checking out the "distressed" jeans. When she left the rack, I took a peek at the tags and became distressed myself.

If mom had saved all of our jeans instead of throwing them out, she'd be a millionaire now. :eek:

I can imagine what my parents thought! And I know pretty well that my father would have taken a pretty dim view of someone who had neither the time nor the inclination to wear out their own jeans but felt comfortable charging someone else's efforts to his accounts. My father was actually pretty flexible about what we wore as long as we understood where we were going to wear it which was largely no where near him. He used to take me with him on Satudays for his morning at the barbershop where he had a manicure, shoeshine, shave and a trim (he hated evey looking as though he had just had a haircut) and I couldn't wait to grow a beard so I could go do all of that too but by the time I was old enough, hair was long and style shops were replacing barbershops. We'd leave the barbershop and walk down the street to the places he bought clothes and even though I didn't want any at the time, when I was older and regained my senses enough of his lessons had stuck to where I knew exactly how a jacket our trousers should cut and break and just how to order a shirt (he always had them fitted wrong side out with one and half inches added everywhere except the collar and cuff) and, interestingly enough, by the 80s, everything he had always worn looked great so I began to copy his style (very, very quiet but first quality and long life) and have never changed it with fads. Sadly, sadly he now has alzheimers (but he's well tended to and still looks great.)

I can imagine what my parents thought! And I know pretty well that my father would have taken a pretty dim view of someone who had neither the time nor the inclination to wear out their own jeans but felt comfortable charging someone else's efforts to his accounts. My father was actually pretty flexible about what we wore as long as we understood where we were going to wear it which was largely no where near him. He used to take me with him on Satudays for his morning at the barbershop where he had a manicure, shoeshine, shave and a trim (he hated evey looking as though he had just had a haircut) and I couldn't wait to grow a beard so I could go do all of that too but by the time I was old enough, hair was long and style shops were replacing barbershops. We'd leave the barbershop and walk down the street to the places he bought clothes and even though I didn't want any at the time, when I was older and regained my senses enough of his lessons had stuck to where I knew exactly how a jacket our trousers should cut and break and just how to order a shirt (he always had them fitted wrong side out with one and half inches added everywhere except the collar and cuff) and, interestingly enough, by the 80s, everything he had always worn looked great so I began to copy his style (very, very quiet but first quality and long life) and have never changed it with fads. Sadly, sadly he now has alzheimers (but he's well tended to and still looks great.)

All of which says that time changes things. I love and respect what once was, put we are living in an age where we are all living longer. We have to adjust to that and except that things will not be the same as they were when we were young. But fortunately that's a good thing. We get to witness change and change is, for the most part, exciting and wonderful. We can hold on to our memories and still experience what is ahead of us all at the same time. As we grow older we take the past with us and it's a comfort, but the present is our childrens future and like us, it will become their past to cherish as well.

Please stop!

You're getting me in trouble at work!

I'm laughing so hard and tears running down my face and I can't stop!

My boss asked me what was wrong, and I couldn't even lie to him!!

I had to show him this thread.

And he wished me, the super jeans girl, Good luck! ANd then he laughed really nasty!

I tend to waer jeans 6 days a week.

Different pairs of course.

And always a pair that is accepted in the situation at hand.

But this is my first cruise and I do get the dresscode and my bf wont bring a tux or even a nice suit.

So we just decided we will avoid the dining room the formal days.

I would have being turned away, so I dont go there...

And no, I wont bring any jeans whats so ever.

I think it will be to hot during the cruise in the Panama Canal so...

But I did wear them in Las Vegas and lived... *lol*

So all you other jeans fanatics... If you wont change your style for the evening, go to another restaurant/ café.

Why would you want to "crash the party" for those who enjoy dressing up?

It's like going to a 4 star restaurant in your city and think they will let you in without a word if you turned up in jeans and sneakers...

Not going to happen unless your really famous and then it would still be rude!

Archived