"NO TORN JEANS"

kimmariecarr

I got to thinking about the "no jeans" rule in NCL's dining rooms, and was trying to think about comparable rules in other vacation situations, and I was finally slapped straight in the head with one...

Golf. Many golf courses have dress codes that vary from no shorts for men to no pants for women and run the spectrum in between. This extends to many golf resorts and spas, naturally. Therefore cruises are not the last bastion of formality as we have discussed.

Now this is something I can relate to...I hate wearing pants while golfing, yet several of the courses I play state "no shorts." I have to admit I am seeing the other side now...

Hmmm...I apologize for misunderstanding your post. I can see that you have given it a lot of thought. Your example of golf course dress codes was very enlightening to me. I do not play golf and would have never suspected that there was a dress code to play an outdoor game. No shorts? :eek: I find a rule like that so silly and unnecessary. If I did play golf it would never be in a course with such snobery. ;)

In Uni, I had a friend who was always "swimming upstream" against the masses.

I remember going to an event during summer session when we we told "gentlemen will not wear shorts, ladies shall not wear slacks"...well he showed them...he showed up in full Polynesian regalia (he was from somewhere in Micronesia...I can't remember exactly where). In otherwords he did not wear shorts...he wore a sarong, head gear and nothing else. They tried to turn him away but he said that this was "traditional ceremonial dress" no different than a Kilt for Scots.

Oh how I laughed.

Hmmm....me thinks I should find a sarong :cool: .

In Uni, I had a friend who was always "swimming upstream" against the masses.

I remember going to an event during summer session when we we told "gentlemen will not wear shorts, ladies shall not wear slacks"...well he showed them...he showed up in full Polynesian regalia (he was from somewhere in Micronesia...I can't remember exactly where). In otherwords he did not wear shorts...he wore a sarong, head gear and nothing else. They tried to turn him away but he said that this was "traditional ceremonial dress" no different than a Kilt for Scots.

Oh how I laughed.

Hmmm....me thinks I should find a sarong :cool: .

LOL! I say good for him! Thanks for sharing that. ;)

Actually I am a bit of a rebel myself. It makes life interesting and sometimes I even get my way. :D

Weatherman-

1- you knew torn jeans were not allowed

2- you wore them anyway

3-you were allowed to wear them

4- AND NOW YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT!!!???

And you dare to complain about the dress of others on optional formal night?

Go back under your bridge.

Pfffttt... that's the sound of this thread being pulled.

oh my roflmao...

i really did laugh out loud at this one...

lol...good one..

I just got off the Spirit yesterday. They ask for no torn jeans at dinner. So I wore mine. They looked me over several times as I walked in but didn't say anything. The whole NCL dress policy is a joke. The night before I'm sitting in the dining room on 'Optional Formal Night', in my tux, while 60% of the dining room had Hawiian shirts on. Note to NCL, it's either FORMAL night, or it's NOT. This cruise line is just plain lost when it comes to dining issues, including food, seating and dress code!

Bye Bye NCL, hello another cruise line.

I think we are all happier that you are going to another line. You don't follow the rules and you complain when people follow the rules? Formal night is optional they wore resort casual. At least they didn't wear torn jeans or you might have been afraid that someone had stolen yours....

uneamie,:)

One problem with wearing jeans at Disney World...UGHH won't it be HOT and HUMID? I usually wear shorts most of the winter here so I can't imagine wearing jeans in Orlando:p . (Maybe if they were REALLY holey:D )

karfest,

I repeat...you crack me up!

Sounds like a few more jobs have been spared!

I think we are all happier that you are going to another line. You don't follow the rules and you complain when people follow the rules? Formal night is optional they wore resort casual. At least they didn't wear torn jeans or you might have been afraid that someone had stolen yours....

uneamie,:)

One problem with wearing jeans at Disney World...UGHH won't it be HOT and HUMID? I usually wear shorts most of the winter here so I can't imagine wearing jeans in Orlando:p . (Maybe if they were REALLY holey:D )

karfest,

I repeat...you crack me up!

Your right...I usually wear my jean capri's which come in many colors! :D

:eek: Yikes! :eek: Does that mean that we will see the post "It's my vacation and I'll wear speedos in the dining room for dinner if I want to!"?

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie ... You know, I could have gone all night without that visual you've just left me stuck with!4_6_11.gif

045.gif

Hmm, funny how the jeans offenders have been strangley quiet all of a sudden. But I don't think it's because their guilt has consumed them!

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie ... You know, I could have gone all night without that visual you've just left me stuck with!4_6_11.gif

045.gif

Hmm, funny how the jeans offenders have been strangley quiet all of a sudden. But I don't think it's because their guilt has consumed them!

Well, I remember a thread on this subject on the Carnival boards...it got very ugly and had to be pulled. I suspect that the "jean offenders" are just trying to dodge some bullets and quite frankly I don't blame them. I think it's sad when people let what others wear affect their own experience. I do not break this particular rule myself, but in regards to those that do I hardly see it as a major offense that warrants some of the passionate ridicule I have seen . :rolleyes:

You know it is just not worth fighting over. As uneamie posted above it's no major offense. If going to dinner in jeans is important to someone else it's not going to effect me.

My only concern is if asked to change by the crew don't be surprised and don't take it out on a person just doing his or her job.

We all know "da rules". They find my booze game over, They ask someone else to change game over.

I can see the point in not wearing jeans in the dining rooms, but it seamsthat some of you would get upset for someone wearing them to the buffet or in any other part of the ship. Would it offend you if I were to wear jeans to one of the deck parties ? and Why?

Would not offend me in the least. I wear jeans just about every day except for dinner....and if it were not for the "no denim" rules I'd be wearing them there too.;)

I can see the point in not wearing jeans in the dining rooms, but it seamsthat some of you would get upset for someone wearing them to the buffet or in any other part of the ship. Would it offend you if I were to wear jeans to one of the deck parties ? and Why?

I don't think it will offend anyone.

Well, I remember a thread on this subject on the Carnival boards...it got very ugly and had to be pulled. I suspect that the "jean offenders" are just trying to dodge some bullets and quite frankly I don't blame them. I think it's sad when people let what others wear affect their own experience. I do not break this particular rule myself, but in regards to those that do I hardly see it as a major offense that warrants some of the passionate ridicule I have seen . :rolleyes:

look guys...rules are rules. when you know what they are ahead time..there is no issue correct?

no jeans...end of subject. if you want to be a rebel...go somewhere else.

why is this such a contentious issue? jeans are a relic of super casual attire, and despite the allure of being comfortable, they do not represent cruise casual resort attire.

if you don't like it...don't cruise.

no offense...it is what it is...this really is a non issue. to make it one is plebian imho..

No it wouldn't offend me, but frankly it doesn't violate any rules or convention anyway. ...

look guys...rules are rules. when you know what they are ahead time..there is no issue correct?

no jeans...end of subject. if you want to be a rebel...go somewhere else.

why is this such a contentious issue? jeans are a relic of super casual attire, and despite the allure of being comfortable, they do not represent cruise casual resort attire.

if you don't like it...don't cruise.

no offense...it is what it is...this really is a non issue. to make it one is plebian imho..

Not sure why you singled out my post to respond to. I do not wear jeans in the dining rooms. I also don't get hyper about it if someone does ...which leads me to my final words on this subject, if you don't like seeing an occasional rule breaker wearing their jeans then don't cruise. ;)

Why is the minimal dress code always addressed on N.C.L. boards and never on Cel., H.A.L. or R.C.C.L. lines. Lets get with it folks, resort casual is like going to a nice restaurant on Sat. nite, unless you live the mountains on Tenn.,or you are from the East Coast, where you are always looking for a reason to complain. It is a dress code that is anything but unreasonable. I might be wrong,[the !st. time] but it's no big deal to go along with the program.

.....concerning this topic, I would like to refer you to another post here concerning the dress code. A poll, actually. I don't think it's very scientific, but you might get a new perspective on what people think about the dress code on NCL "Freestyle" ships.

I personally don't really give a ratsbutt if someone wants to show up naked to dinner as long as they don't detract from my cruise experience. Or my wife's. Or my friends. Or the crew. But shabbily dressed people often do that. Maybe without knowing it and maybe without trying.

But some people DO try to draw attention to themselves either by making horse's patoots out of themselves or by trying to make someone else feel bad. That might be another passenger or a crew member. Isn't that pathetic?

Unless a crew member berates a passenger, hurts others or is doing something that seriously detracts from a passenger's vacation, there is no acceptable reason for making their life miserable, either. Why would anyone feel it was their place in life to put the crew in a position where their very survival was dependent on your choice of pants? Ponderous.

At the same time, there are passengers AND crew members who are so fixated on "the rules" that they have forgotten that a "Freestyle" cruise is all about freedom of choice.

Hey, Freestyle starts with the word "free," doesn't it???

I think it's great if people feel more comfortable in jeans. I'm sitting at my computer right now wearing my most comfortable corduroy shirt and a pair of jeans......

.......AND THEY'RE TORN!!!! :eek: .....

Sorry if I shocked anyone!

People in jeans, torn or not, belong on my cruise ship as much as anyone else!!!

Let these people go to the buffet. Let them go to the barbeques. Make sure that there is always the same delicious food as everyone else gets for them to eat. I'll meet them up on the pool deck for a brewski after dinner.

But WHY DO THEY FEEL THAT IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT THEY SHOW UP IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM ON FORMAL NIGHT IN JEANS!?!?!?!?

Is it to prove to the world how WONDERFUL they look in DESIGNER JEANS??

HAHAHHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHahahaaahhaiiihehehhehahahaaAaAAhhhhheee......

Absolutely PONDEROUS!

I'm sorry. I just don't get it.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, DO THEY HAVE TO COME IN THE DINING ROOM ON FORMAL NIGHT AND SIT AT THE TABLE NEXT TO ME AND MY FAMILY IN TORN JEANS, SMELLING LIKE BUDWEISER AND LOUDLY SWEARING LIKE A SAILOR????

Why, in God's green earth, is it so GAWDAWFUL.........

......THAT NCL HAVE ONE DEDICATED DINING ROOM ON ONE SINGLE SOLITARY NIGHT ONLY FOR THOSE PASSENGERS WHO ENJOY DRESSING FORMALLY FOR ONE NIGHT....

......AND NOBODY ELSE!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Whew!!!!!

MrTractor<-------has to get down off his soapbox before he falls and tears his jeans. Again.......

Obviously you just can't read or want to stir the pot.

this is a search of the Celebrity board only and has 126 threads on this issue.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=907735

the search was for the word jeans.

there were only 102 threads on NCL

only 69 on Hal and 225 on RCI

there are times that NCL leads the way such as Cruising from NYC but this is a common issue on all cruise lines.

Archived