"NO TORN JEANS"

kimmariecarr

We were on the Majesty the week after Thanksgiving and they had signs posted in front of both dining rooms regarding no shorts, tank tops, or jeans in the dining room for the evening meals.

I did see one couple discussing DH's going back to the room to change out of jeans. Don't know if it was because of the sign or if they were turned away.

Because some slob wore torn jeans to the dining room and they had to create a rule. You know how some people have no class or common sense whatsoever.

I was reading my cruise documents yesterday and I noticed that the dress code states, "No torn Jeans in dining room".

So when did it go from no jeans to no torn jeans?

Kim

You can dress as you want and eat in the buffet or 24 hour snack bar which is provided for those who don't wish to dress. If you want to eat dinner in the main dining rooms, you must observe the dress code. You have a choice.

What is the big deal about dressing resort casual for dinner? I dont care how nice the jeans are, they dont look appropiate in a lavish dining room where waiters wear tux"s.

It is funny when the best dressed people on a NCL ship are the crew :eek: I was sitting outside Impressions one night just people watching. I looked across the crowd and suddenly noticed the contrast.

Passengers in all states of "interesting" casual dress and those that could never afford to cruise the best dressed onboard.

I have worn jeans in the dining rooms at dinner on every single cruise I have been on (NCL, Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity), have felt completely comfortable, and never ever had a problem. Bottom line: when you are sitting down, no one can see your pants.

I was reading my cruise documents yesterday and I noticed that the dress code states, "No torn Jeans in dining room".

So when did it go from no jeans to no torn jeans?

Kim

Just got my documents for our Dawn cruise in Jan. Our documents say "no jeans". Maybe it has something to do with the ship your sailing on...but ours still say "no jeans".

Frankly, I don't know why they make a big deal out of their "freestlye dress code". It's really no different then our Carnival or our Disney cruise. We could wear "resort casual" any time of the day on Carnival and Disney. We never really had to be "dressed up", and on formal night, many did not go formal and it was acceptable. Maybe NCL should make one of the main dining rooms a room where you can wear whatever you so choose. Then anyone who is disturbed by very casual dress won't have to dine next to anyone dressed that way. :rolleyes: Personally, I don't wear jeans to dinner, but I also don't care if someone else does.

Because some slob wore torn jeans to the dining room and they had to create a rule. You know how some people have no class or common sense whatsoever.

the dress code on cruises is a relic of the older days of cruising, which consisted of the very wealthy and steerage passengers crossing the atlantic etc.

it was common to dress UP for dinner. todays cruiselines tend to be, imho, too relaxed in dinner dress. it makes me feel special to dress nicer for dinner ( we certainly don't do that at home!)

and as some posters point out, the rules are clearly stated as to dress code. accomodation is certainly made for those who don't care to dress up.

we often comment during dinners at sea how unique it feels to be lucky enough to be able to afford such travel. and what a pleasure it is to see our pre teen kids dressed up.

if you prefer a more casual dinner experience altogether, i think carnival tends to be very relaxed at dinner..

I have worn jeans in the dining rooms at dinner on every single cruise I have been on (NCL, Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity), have felt completely comfortable, and never ever had a problem. Bottom line: when you are sitting down, no one can see your pants.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? :o

Have been reading this type thread for a few days now and am convinced that 'resort-casual' is not jeans. This may be the reason why NCL has chosen to be more specific about what not to wear. Yes, one could argue that a comfortable pair of jeans with a nice blouse or shirt would look presentable however, IMHO, it is still inappropriate for dinner. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to a wonderful cruise come January and will not be concerned about what other people will be wearing.;)

That's great if thats what makes you happy but you know the dress code going in. Don't be surprised or upset if one night they ask you to go back to the cabin and change. You may not have a problem but if you do don't take it out on the crew member doing his or her job :eek:

It is like bringing your own booze which I do. If the take it I can't get upset since I new the "rules" going in.

My opinion is that passengers go on a cruise to have fun and enjoy their vacation as best as possible, who cares what other people are wearing if they which to wear jeans at the dining room, well that is their problem, I feel that we are here to relax on your cruise, and if you feel like wearing casual clothes so be it. The dress code ncl has is not right. Well, other things are not right either like charging a fee for dining on specific restaurants that it should be included with what you pay for your cruise.

The dress code ncl has is not right. Well, other things are not right either like charging a fee for dining on specific restaurants that it should be included with what you pay for your cruise.

But the dress code and extra-charge restaurants that RCCL, Carnival, and Princess (among others) have IS right? :rolleyes:

KittyTravel,

Let me see if I get this. No matter what the rules are if you don't agree with them then you don't follow them??? Dang I have been following the rules all my life I guess my morals are just all messed up.

If you don't like the rules on the cruise lines then go on a land vacation where they don't care what you wear.

I don't mind their policy for dress at dinner times. I was a little offended last cruise though when I was in the Seven Seas for lunch and they asked me to remove my baseball cap after I had been seated. It wasn't a big deal so I took it off. Then I look around and I see three other people in the dining room with baseball caps on, all of various age. No one ever asked them to take off their caps. Again, not a big deal, but if they are going to set some sort of dress code, they really should be consistent across the board at ALL times.

I think there is a difference between wearing nice jeans and jeans with holes. Jeans with holes depict a slob. There's no way around it. Yes, people will say "it shouldn't matter, I dress to please myself" or "But I don't see myself as a slob" but in the real world, people ARE judged by what they wear. Who hasn't seen a middle aged woman in a babydoll dress and rolled their eyes, or the man in speedos who lets it all hang out. This stuff about being sensitive to others is ridciulously out of hand. Most people are offended by someone who looks like a slob, so they are better off being told to change their clothes. It's sad that people think their rights replace their responsiblity to follow the rules. So for the slobs and nonslobs alike, if you don't follow the dress code, you have no right to complain if your asked to change! :)

the dress code on cruises is a relic of the older days of cruising, which consisted of the very wealthy and steerage passengers crossing the atlantic etc.

it was common to dress UP for dinner. todays cruiselines tend to be, imho, too relaxed in dinner dress. it makes me feel special to dress nicer for dinner ( we certainly don't do that at home!)

and as some posters point out, the rules are clearly stated as to dress code. accomodation is certainly made for those who don't care to dress up.

we often comment during dinners at sea how unique it feels to be lucky enough to be able to afford such travel. and what a pleasure it is to see our pre teen kids dressed up.

if you prefer a more casual dinner experience altogether, i think carnival tends to be very relaxed at dinner..

Of course, the passive-aggressive way to deal with the 'no jeans' thing is to wear the SAME clothes to dinner every day.

Not sure it is the passive-aggressive way to deal with it but it is the solution my sons elected. Clean shirt and the same 2 pair of dockers at every dinner. They were only on 2 hours a day.

Why do you care how someone dresses? I am planning to wear jeans, and I will look great! I love to wear my dressy jeans with a dressy shirt, and heels... it's in style... besides why does it matter what material your clothes are made of so long as you look nice? I guarantee I will look nicer than a lot of people! But the way other people dress doesn't bother me--- as long as they are in clothes...

We just got back from the Dawn on Thursday and at one point asked the hostess in Aqua about the jeans issue. She said, without hesitation, that she would seat my wife if she came in wearing her black jeans. We never felt the need to try it, though. Life is too short to fight it out over jeans v. dockers.

Archived