New to Princess...Questions about the Ruby...

mobydog

We are taking a 10 day caribbean cruise on the Princess Ruby November 14-24 for my 40th birthday. We are leaving the kids behind so it will just be two adults...I have sailed NCL and Royal Caribbean before and don't know what to expect on this ship/cruiseline.

Here are my questions:

• Are there hair dryers in the rooms?
  • How much is the soda card each day (a girl needs her caffeine)?
  • Would you spend money for the Serenity area? And is it pool side?
  • When are the formal nights...port or at sea days? and how many?
  • How many bottles of wine can you bring on board? (we went to Napa for our anniversary and we would love to have some during our trip)
  • Is there a corkage fee in the dining room for these bottles?
  • Is there a midnight chocolate buffet? (love this at RC)
  • What is the must see/do on this boat?
  • Are the fee restaurants worth it? If so, which one?
  • Is lobster served on a formal night in the main dining room?

Thank you in advance for your advice. I am really looking forward to our trip!

We are taking a 10 day caribbean cruise on the Princess Ruby November 14-24 for my 40th birthday. We are leaving the kids behind so it will just be two adults...I have sailed NCL and Royal Caribbean before and don't know what to expect on this ship/cruiseline.

Here are my questions:

• Are there hair dryers in the rooms? Yes, but they aren't very high powered, so you might want to bring your own if you have thick hair.
  • How much is the soda card each day (a girl needs her caffeine)? It's a little more than $4 a day.
  • Would you spend money for the Serenity area? And is it pool side? Are you talking about the Sanctuary? There isn't a pool immediately close to the Sanctuary. However, there is an adults only Lotus Spa pool that isn't usually crowded and it's not too far from the Sanctuary.
  • When are the formal nights...port or at sea days? and how many? I believe there's two formal nights on a 10 day cruise. I have had formal nights on both port and sea days, so I'm not sure how they decide when to do them.
  • How many bottles of wine can you bring on board? (we went to Napa for our anniversary and we would love to have some during our trip) I'm not a wine drinker so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure you can bring 2 bottles on board.
  • Is there a corkage fee in the dining room for these bottles? There is a $15 corkage fee (from what I have heard).
  • Is there a midnight chocolate buffet? (love this at RC) No
  • What is the must see/do on this boat? There are lots of different things going on. I really like the Movies Under The Stars. There were also lots of good things going on in Club Fusion. I think it all really depends on the activities they have set up for your specific cruise though.
  • Are the fee restaurants worth it? If so, which one? I'm cheap so it isn't worth paying extra for these restaurants to me when I'm perfectly happy eating in the dining room, but many others say that the Crown Grill and Sabatini's both serve excellent food.
  • Is lobster served on a formal night in the main dining room? On our last cruise lobster tails were served.

Thank you in advance for your advice. I am really looking forward to our trip!

Hope these answers helped a little!:)

Bballin- Thank you...I was referring to the Sanctuary...you just saved me money as I just really wanted to be at an adults only pool...since I am leaving my "darlings" behind...

paul- is that one bottle, wink, wink...or are they strict on that carry on rule?

We have a dive group going on the Ruby the week before your cruise. You are welcome to visit our group forum where we have a lot of info on the ship. Though you will be visiting different ports, you may want to check out last year's group forum - I think the ports of call on last years voyage are the same as yours this year.

Both group forums have a lot of dive specific info, so unless you are into diving, you can ignore those postings. But we try to find the most up to date info for our group members on all our group cruises.

Good luck.

2009 Ruby Princess Group Forum - Eastern Itinerary

2008 Emerald Princess Group Forum - Southern Itinerary

We are on the Ruby this coming winter, but just finished Emerald 2 years in a row, which is basiclaly the same ship The Crown Restaurant has gone down hill! The steaks were not tasty and actually tough, the steak and lobster combo was awful (2 2 oz lobsters!). Sabbatinis is well worth the experience--several wonderful courses with an amazing variety. There is a seafood buffet (usually first night) up on the Horizon Court, and there's plenty of crab, shrimp and lobster, but you would be missing the dining room experience. We dine late (8:30) so have learned to go up about 5-5:30 for "appetizers" from this buffet.

When are you sailing on the Ruby?

Pat in Minnesota

Re: lobster in the MDR on the second formal night, on our Ruby cruise last January, it had changed to one very small lobster tail and 2 giant prawns (larger than the lobster, I wouldn't kid about this.) The dish was good, just different.

Re: lobster in the MDR on the second formal night, on our Ruby cruise last January, it had changed to one very small lobster tail and 2 giant prawns (larger than the lobster, I wouldn't kid about this.) The dish was good, just different.

In regards to this, keep in mind that you can have as many servings as you want. :)

Archived