Does it have to be a drivers license

luckydogone

I know you have to have a photo Id to get back on board after your shore excursion but does it have to be a drivers license or will any card with your picture work? Thanks for your help,

It has to be a state issued ID, unless you're a minor.

You can get a non-driver's ID card from your DMV. Had one for years, as I didn't start driving until late.

You won't need this in every port. Last cruise (last week!) we didn't need anything but Carnival card on Grand Turk or HMC (Carnival's private island), but in Nassau they checked IDs in the ship terminal so I used my driver's license & Carnival card.

I know you have to have a photo Id to get back on board after your shore excursion but does it have to be a drivers license or will any card with your picture work? Thanks for your help,

The usual criteria is "Government Issued ID Card", so DL, non-driver ID, military ID, etc, but "any card with a picture", like, maybe student ID or your Costco card is NOT going to work.

We only carry our Sign and Sale Cards and credit cards. I dont ever remember using my drivers license to get back on board.

But they specifically tell you that you should take a photo ID.

Some ports we've had to show it (I always take my passport when I travel); some ports we've only needed our S&S.

Last week, it wasn't required at a single one of our six ports. But I've had to show it in both Nassau and Freeport, and somewhere else that I can't remember right now. :o

But since they go out of their way to inform people to take a photo ID, it's usually a good idea to take one. Better to have it with you and not need it than to need it and not have it. At least that's mho about it! ;)

We have only used our Sail and Sign cards to get back on the ship.

It does not have to be a DL, it has to be a government issued photo ID.

It must be the same official government issued photo ID you used when you boarded.

The only exception is if you used a passport when boarding, a government photo ID would be fine.

You only need your S&S card to get on and off the ship in ports. Your card has all of your information and picture embedded. When the card is scanned your picture pops up on the screen.

You only need your S&S card to get on and off the ship in ports. Your card has all of your information and picture embedded. When the card is scanned your picture pops up on the screen.

The drivers license (or picture ID) is for port security.....not ship security........

Port security cannot see the embedded picture on your S&S card......they match your name on your dl with your S&S card.....this is to keep all unauthorized people out of the port area..........

That is all you need to get back on the ship. The Picture id is required to get thru port security at some ports......

Thanks for clarity, I wasn't understanding the question! Big difference between port security and getting on the ship. :)

Archived