Live onboard Zuiderdam -- "Friends of Dorothy" party request DENIED!!

JeffCoud

sounds odd to me.. there was at least one FOD mtg listed in our daily schedule onboard Volendam 11/6-16. Anyone who would take offense to such a listing needs to stay home with the drapes drawn and the doors locked. More than likely 80% of the blue hair set thinks it's a wizard of oz thing anyway...so who does HAL think they are offending?

Have a feeling this was an isolated incident with a rookie filling in and over his head.

I think the key is #3, Dave - that there is very likely NO SUCH "new policy". We simply have a case of a CD arbitrarily deciding not to have a meeting posted in the daily bulletin and he doesn't think that this one passenger will bother to get to the bottom of it - at least not while he's still aboard....

Even more reason, then, for people to stop accusing the line of changing policy and making rash statements about future business.

Just another reason to refrain from emotional comments before the facts are known.

-dave

PS - we were driving into town along I-280 the other day and saw a (small, might be S-class size) cruise ship at the pier near SBC stadium. It had a vaguely Carnival-like "swoosh" paint job on the funnel but my DW swears there was a Letter "H" in the logo. Have you seen it/know anything about it?

That is correct -- I am sailing by myself, and spending darn good $$ to do so in a cat S suite. The balcony is certainly big enough to host my own party -- but I can only invite those people I have already met....the daily program is the only way to reach anyone who might be interested...just like the daily program reaches all bridge players, or veterans, or Friends of Bill W... Can't stay online long here...pricey! But I am following up with another note today. Frankly, I'm still in shock I couldn't get this very simple minor request fulfilled (esp when I've had no problem doing so on X...) One lesson of customer service...the customer is always right, and I was told a big fat no! I'm regretting having booked a suite on this cruise line....

Jeff

I think the point Jeff is trying to make is that unless the Friends of Dorothy gathering is posted in the daily paper, how would he know who onboard would be interested in attending. He's sailing by himself, not with a group.

Dave, just for your reference purposes....the FOD parties seem to have been SOP on HAL for some time....which they have now stopped. Aka, used to be able to do something, and now cannot...

Once again some folks in this thread are getting their knoickers in a twist without knowing all of the ddtails of the situation.

1) were any group gatherings listed in the daily blat?

2) can anyone request a listing in the bulletin?

3) is there a new policy or not?

4) was the (supposedly new) CD even aware that FOD was not a group sdailing together (who could easily notify each other of a gathering?

So very much was left unsaid in the OP's note.

Now, of course, the daggers will be drawn and I'll be accused of being a HAL apologist. Though. I want facts before I'm ready to condemn someone.

-dave

Dave, just for your reference purposes....the FOD parties seem to have been SOP on HAL for some time....which they have now stopped. Aka, used to be able to do something, and now cannot...

Actually, I've done a bit of scouting around on this issue in regard to HAL and even other lines. What I've discovered is that it has been policy for quite some time not to publish it but the policy has been skirted more times than not. Any time that it has been done in the past was technically an exception and it sounds like the CD whom you dealt with "went by the book" on this one.

I've made some calls to the different cruise lines and shipcafe is correct. Guidelines from the higher authority say no but look the other way when it is done on the sea. It seems that the "unofficial" word is that it depends upon the whim of the CD if they want to buck corporate policy or not. Most of them will because they are satisfying guest's requests and make for a better customer relationship.

Most of them will because they are satisfying guest's requests and make for a better customer relationship.

Yes, it certainly does! Isn't that the ultimate point of all this? At this point, I"m thinking the lines should just sponsor FOD/Rainbow parties rather than relying on guest requests. They already automatically schedule things like mass, gatherings for singles/solos, veterans, service clubs, etc. I think it's time to move to the "next level" and request the cruise lines set up FOD meets routinely. Anyhow, my opinion.

Jeff

Jeff, I can't agree more with you (and I am a married straight lady).We just returned from a 15 day Celebrity cruise and there were FOD meetings set at least 4 times during the cruise (and maybe more). I simply cannot understand why such a meeting would NOT be publicized, even if not set up by the cruise line. In my experience, there are increasing numbers of openly gay and lesbian cruisers (good for them!) and I can think of no reason other than blatant prejudice that a CD would want to alienate such a significant portion of their customer base. And if indeed it is HA's home office policy it needs to be changed. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Linda

I was on the same cruise with Jeff and I seem to remember a Friends of Bill W. meeting listed in the daily program. I don't really see the difference in the two as far as a listing in the program goes. (yes of course they are different, but they are both groups that would be of interest to a select group of people)

Philip17-- IIRC, for a true Satanic or Black Mass, you need a virgin. Maybe they ran out.

corkpopr-- FOD is "Friends Of Dorothy" and it's shorthand for gays. Someone who is gay can tell you more about it.

I think it's kinda odd that a cruise line that just recently chartered a ship for 1,250 lesbians is so dead set against running an announcement for an FOD meeting.

Man, some people will complain about anything, the real question should be, Did you go on this cruise to have a F.O.D meeting? If so you should have arranged it before hand, if not then stop ruining your vacation worrying about something so trivial. I am not saying your life style is trivial but I am saying your need to have a meeting printed in a paper is.

Perhaps this thread has done some good. We just returned from the December 6th sailing of the Volendam. During this cruise Both Friends of Dorothy and Friends of Bill W. notices were published in the daily bulletin. Furthermore space was made available in one of the public rooms for each of these gatherings.

I do know that the cruise lines monitor these boards and that they do pay attention to those threads which deal with passenger satisfaction or dissastisfaction. I do not know if there is or was a central policy about such meetings but on our cruise at least HAL was fully cooperative.

I would like to wish a safe and happy holiday season to everyone.

Don B.

Actually, I'm not a complainer in general. In fact, I'm Mr. Mellow. But it's such a small thing, why not do it? In any case, taking my business elsewhere! The cruise line is supposed to be there to facilitate my entertainment and socializing, and they failed miserably on this score, and several others...can't recommend HAL for anyone who is awake after 11 or 11:30 or so!

Jeff

Man, some people will complain about anything, the real question should be, Did you go on this cruise to have a F.O.D meeting? If so you should have arranged it before hand, if not then stop ruining your vacation worrying about something so trivial. I am not saying your life style is trivial but I am saying your need to have a meeting printed in a paper is.

There weren't any FOD announcements, nor were there any AA or Friends of Bill W announcements.

There was regular announcements of Catholic Mass, and the various services for Jewish passengers during the holiday season.

There was a general announcement for Service Club members- one meeting for all Rotary, Elks, etc members, combined.

Bruce

On Westerdam's November 12th Trans-Atlantic crossing there was an unadvertised "Emerald City" night. My daughter was there because she is friends with the DJ at the club and she said that the most fun she had was watching "straight" people react to same sex dancers.

Personally I don't see what harm there is in publicizing FOD, but it is a bad decision made by HAL's brain trust in Seattle.

D

Glad that happened Don, but that was the week before I sailed lol! :) Anyhow, nice thought nonetheless!

Jeff

Perhaps this thread has done some good. We just returned from the December 6th sailing of the Volendam. During this cruise Both Friends of Dorothy and Friends of Bill W. notices were published in the daily bulletin.

Actually, I'm not a complainer in general. In fact, I'm Mr. Mellow. But it's such a small thing, why not do it? In any case, taking my business elsewhere! The cruise line is supposed to be there to facilitate my entertainment and socializing, and they failed miserably on this score, and several others...can't recommend HAL for anyone who is awake after 11 or 11:30 or so!

Jeff

Now that I can agree with, if you want to stay up past 8:30 and have something to do or to eat you need to try a different line.

Hi,

Just completed my first cruise, 10 day December 16th - 26th, 2004 Westfarer Christmas Cruise on the Volendam. I have seen the letters FOD on threads in the recent past on this site, just like IMHO, but didn't know what that one meant. I am relatively new to this site. Wish I had. Then someone on the Volendam trip asked me had I gone to the Friends of Dorothy group. He is straight. I said, "No", what is "Friends of Dorothy". And he explained. Said there were approximately 20 people who attended the group. I sailed very happily alone, made friends with several people, asked people to take my picture and started conversations that way, met some really great people at my dinner table, however,it would have been nice to meet someone who I could have talked with or perhaps taken a shore excursion with. Well, now I know for the future. I saved the daily happenings paper. Will look over and see if there was an FOD group meeting on one of the last days of the cruise.

As always,

Best regards,

Bruce

P.S. I fell in love with the Volendam, the Crows Nest, and the group "RAIN" that entertained onboard. What a wonderful ship, and unforgetable first cruise.

I agree why get so upset they didn't post your little group in the paper. Its a vacation, I don't think any of the Bill W's, Gays and what ever other group should be posted. Its not a ship sponsered event. If you want to go to a gathering go where you will be the majority. Go to gay camp or something. Sorry just the way I feel.

Rmc. In my 15 cruises there have almost always been both Friends of Bill and usually Friends of Dorothy. I have never been offended by either and they really haven't had any effect on me. I know Jeff personally and have the greatest respect for him. I've always admired the cruiselines for providing these meeting places for groups.

I agree why get so upset they didn't post your little group in the paper. Its a vacation, I don't think any of the Bill W's, Gays and what ever other group should be posted. Its not a ship sponsered event. If you want to go to a gathering go where you will be the majority. Go to gay camp or something. Sorry just the way I feel.

[Trying hard to take the high road here and not respond ...]

Don't like the term "little" group - you shouldn't demean FOD or any other group that way.

I am neither a friend of dorothy nor a friend of bill w -- but I don't see why the listings of those groups' meetings should not be posted.

[That's 2 lines of copy in the day's activities.]

I was a member of rotary, and I was glad when service club "meetings" were organized and announced.

As I recall from a cruise last month, there were non-ship-sponsored events such as Scrabble tournaments listed as well.

The "gay camp" remark was unnecessary.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel.

Archived