Just Back from Bermuda 5/24-31

LindaLa

Just back today from our Dawn cruise to Bermuda. We had a lovely time. This was our third cruise on the Dawn. Without doing a full blown trip report, here are some of our experiences.

The food was really good. We ate at Le Bistro, Salsa and Impressions, as well as the Venetian and Aqua. The food was very good at all. I had lobster or filet most nights. The medium filet that I ordered at Le Bistro came back well done so I had to send it back - otherwise the meals were very good. We ate most breakfasts at the Venetian and it was also very good. We ate at the buffet a couple of times and the food seemed better this time around than in the past. We went to the Chocolate Buffet, but I did not think it was anything special. It seemed as though this was a much bigger deal in previous years. All in all, the food rated a very good. Just a word on dress code - I saw people in shorts, sleeveless tee shirts, shorts, short denim shorts admitted to the dining rooms for dinner. In the past, if someone showed up for dinner in shorts, they were turned away. This is no longer true. On the last day, I noticed signage at Le Bistro and Impressions indicating that you can not wear shorts, dungarees and tee shirts. I asked the host if this was enforced. He told me that because so many passengers were upset with the dress code, they turn their heads and allows shorts and tee shirts. I don't have a problem with this, but they need to set a policy and stay with it. I brought dress clothes for dinner and could have traveled more lightly had I know we could wear shorts for dinner.

We decided to book the spa pass for the week. What a nice treat for $150 per couple. They will not sell day passes if weekly passes are sold out. I had a full body massage on Monday. It was great. We spent time 1n the spa each day. It was quieter than the pool area -very relaxing. Since we had bad weather on Saturday, this was especially nice. I do agree with other posters that that the spa should be available for those that book treatments without any additional charge.

We didn't see too many shows or entertainment on board. We usually go to bed early and are up early. We saw two shows. Both were ok. We were in Hamilton for Second City, so we missed that. The cruise director was good - not too overwhelming, but provided enough input to know what was going on.

We had great weather on Wednesday (we went to Horseshoe Bay) and Friday. We got soaked in St. George on Thursday. They are experiencing a drought in Bermuda, so they were very thankful for the rain. We didn't appreciate it so much as it wasn't just showers, it was torrential downpours - some sort of tropical depression. We went to Horseshoe Bay beach. It was lovely. We decided to go the Hamilton Harbour Nights and that was a major disappointment. There were a few street vendors, the Gombey dancers and that was it. Even most of the stores were closed. I think Hamilton has been hit hard by the recession, along with the loss of cruise ship business. If you walk a few blocks from Front Street, things seems a little better. Thursday was the caves, the Swizzle Inn and a washed out St George. We went to the Botanical Gardens and shopped Dockyard on Friday. We had purchased a three day pass for buses and ferries. Just note that although convenient, it does take time to get places (it took 2 hours to get from the Dockyard to the Crystal Caves). Always allow extra time for travel. I can see why everyone tells you not to rent scooters. There is lots of traffic, buses, etc. I would not have not wanted to be driving around on one! I love Bermuda and would have loved to have one more day there!!

We drove to Terminal. We drove right to the parking lot, dropped our bags and then parked. It was very convenient. Thanks to a previous post to go directly to the parking lot due to construction. There was lots of traffic and it saved us about an hour. I think most people do the express disembarkation now - many more than in the past. We were off the ship and in our card in about an hour. It is still the best way to go.

We brought two bottles of wine with us - we kept asking NCL personnel during check in and no one seemed to know what we should do. I walked on with two bottles of wine without anyone questioning us. I went to reception and they finally got someone from a bar to bring us the tags for the wine and charged our account. We also brought on rum runners with some alcohol without any problems. Even with all this, we still had quite a bill when we checked out.

We had smooth sailing down, but hit some gale winds and some moderate waves on Saturday. It was very windy and they had Deck 13 closed due to high winds. By 4:30, the sun was up and seas had settled a bit. I wish that they would provide weather reports - it was difficult to determine whether we should make reservations for a shore excursion and the day that it poured, the daily said the weather would be sunny . We would have packed more appropriately. It seems as though they want everyone to think the weather will be nice and sunny, when we know that is not always the case. Sorry for the fragmented report. I know once the work week begins tomorrow, I will have little time to sit down and right down my thoughts. I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have. We just love the Dawn and the convenience of sailing from NYC. We are looking forward to our next trip!

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

I'm disappointed that NCL has apparently given up on enforcing even the most minimal of dress codes in the dining rooms.

How difficult is it for someone to put on a pair of khakis and a shirt with sleeves and a collar? Does it take more time than putting on shorts and a tee shirt?

When dining in the specialty restaurants are you limited to ordering just one appetizer and entree or could you order multiple items?

You can always order more than one appetizer or entree. I have done that in main dinning rooms and at speciality restaurants. It's a great way to try different items.

When dining in the specialty restaurants are you limited to ordering just one appetizer and entree or could you order multiple items?

You can order more than one appetizer or dessert in the specialty restaurants but the general rule is only one entree. People have been known to get more than one entree but don't expect it to be the norm.

You can order more than one appetizer or dessert in the specialty restaurants but the general rule is only one entree. People have been known to get more than one entree but don't expect it to be the norm.

I think it depends on your server and what time you're dining. I ate at Cagney's and had the 10oz prime rib but the server said I look like a man who can eat a lot so he sliced me a 20oz! After 3 appetizers and a soup, I somehow did put in the 20oz and still had room for that raspberry creme brulee! :eek:

I think it depends on your server and what time you're dining. I ate at Cagney's and had the 10oz prime rib but the server said I look like a man who can eat a lot so he sliced me a 20oz! After 3 appetizers and a soup, I somehow did put in the 20oz and still had room for that raspberry creme brulee! :eek:

Like I said....just don't expect it to be the norm.:)

I have a question about the dress code, because to me, it all seems about intent. Were the people wearing shorts neatly dressed, as if they made some effort for dinner, or did they wear the same rumpled clothes they had been in all day? I don't object to a shorts outfit as long as it looks neat and clean, but I wouldn't like it so much if people looked like they just rolled down to the DR after a full day at the beach (not that NCL has called to ask my opinion.)

As for dress code, some were neat shorts with a collar shirt but there were many others with just a tee shirt and walk around shorts. One gentleman had a sleeveless tee shirt. One girl had a pair of jean shorts right up to her bottom. I think if they have a rule, they should stick to it. It isn't like there aren't any other options for those who choose not to wear shorts (Garden Cafe, Blue Lagoon) - otherwise, they should remove the rule and let everyone wear what they want. It sure would make packing easier. I did not see anyone with a bathing suit in the dining room.

As for ordering more than one option in the specialty restaurants, we did not do so. They seemed to be very accomodating to those around us. I saw a woman order two dinners in Impressions.

Just a quick reply to the ferry/bus pass. We were on the Dawn the week of 5/17 & purchased the pass. It was well worth the money. As far as the trip to the caves, we took the ferry to St. George, a 40 minute trip, then walked up the hill for a bus to the caves, a 15 minute trip. Depending on your destination, it may be more beneficial to take the ferry to St George and bus it from there. There is a lot more traffic on the island then there used to be so the buses seem to take longer. From Horseshoe to the Dockyard it took over an hour one afternoon. But it is still the most economical way to travel on the island. Sorry to hear that you had to be there for that rain storm, but the week before that is all the locals were talking about, the lack of rain and how desperate the island was for some water.

LindaLa, do you know how much it costs to park the car for 7 nites? Going to Bermuda 8-30 or is a car service cheaper in the long run? Also, good review. Sorry you were disappointed with the Front Street Fair in Hamilton. Can you post a little more about it? Is it worth the trip over and back? How long does it last...TIA

2ND QUESTION - Earlier Post: Forgot to ask about dress code for the "Front Street" gathering? Do we need light jackets, capri's ok or slax better? Thanks again in advance...

I don't think there's a dress code for the Harbor Nights Festival. Some people dress up, some don't:

4285_86376727404_533587404_1865664_7185187_n.jpg

We definitely didn't dress up there:

4285_86376732404_533587404_1865665_4449553_n.jpg

As for dress code, some were neat shorts with a collar shirt but there were many others with just a tee shirt and walk around shorts. One gentleman had a sleeveless tee shirt. One girl had a pair of jean shorts right up to her bottom. I think if they have a rule, they should stick to it.

I agree, the people who do not dress with decorum ruin it for those folks who have nice "bermuda" sort ensembles because Miss Shorts Up my Butt, will point to Mr. Bermuda shorts and say--"he has shorts on, why can't I?":eek:

They need to stick to their own rules for everyone's sake.:cool:

Why doesn't NCL choose to enforce the very lax rules they have on clothing? There always seems to be a small group of people who wish to push the envelope completely.

We sailed on the Dawn last year, and I commented in my review how turned off I was sitting next to a man in shorts and sleeveless T in Le Bistro. Personally, I don't care what other people do, but there was no way around how uncomfortable I felt sitting next to that hairy mess. It was most unappetizing.

Unfortunately,that was not a one time occurance. It was in the specialty restaurants as well as the main dining rooms. I chalk it up to ignorance.

Bella

I just got off the Dawn too. I agree with everything you said. I did not get a spa pass, but did get a few treatments. I was told I could use the spa pool if I wanted since I booked services. I didn't want a week pass...I like being outside too much.

Second City was great entertainment, as was the comedian that preformed the last night. Very funny. The other entertainment (dancers) were OK. However, the ballerina and her partner were fabulous as was the aerialist.

Food was good, but not the best cruise food I've every had. I do like the variety and menus. I ate lobster in some form every night but one. We only did one specialty restaurant (the Italian one). I figured, we paid for the food up front; I didn't want to pay even more to eat in those restaurants. Ate most breakfasts in the buffet, but in the dining room twice. Skipped lunch 'cause I was so full from breakfast. Don't throw tomatoes at me, but I think the food we had on the Caribbean Princess was better. But don't get me wrong...the food was good.

We got hit with the downpour in St. George too. It POURED. Weather on return Saturday was a disappointment. Bermuda is lovely! I'd love to go back sometime.

I too saw people in the dining room in shorts. It didn't bother me though. I wore white slacks and nice top or a sun-dress to the dining room for dinner. My husband wore simple cotton slacks and a collared shirt. No coats or ties. They have a night to dress up if you want, but you don't have to.

We bought internet minutes. If you do beware....it takes a while to log on and to move about on the web and that really eats up your minutes like crazy. It would be great if it weren't so expensive.

I'd be glad to answer other questions too.

Why doesn't NCL choose to enforce the very lax rules they have on clothing? There always seems to be a small group of people who wish to push the envelope completely.

We sailed on the Dawn last year, and I commented in my review how turned off I was sitting next to a man in shorts and sleeveless T in Le Bistro. Personally, I don't care what other people do, but there was no way around how uncomfortable I felt sitting next to that hairy mess. It was most unappetizing.

Too bad they could not offer him a loaner jacket, or perhaps a full body wax!!!

A little manscaping may hurt, but it is soooooo worth it!!!!:eek:

It was "I" who asked about the rates for the 7 nites (Dawn to Bermuda 8-30).. Thanks for the info. It'll be less expensive for us to hire a car service (about $85-90 each way including tip). Thank you anyway for replying so promptly.

Sorry you were disappointed at Harbour Nights in Hamilton. Does it pay to ferry over (even with a pass) or should we stay put and see a good show if they have one? We've never done the Harbour Nights and have been in Bermuda many times.

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated and thank you.

UANDME4EVER,

We had purchased the bus and ferry pass for 3 days also. It worked very well for us. We took the ferry over to Hamilton (approx. 25 minutes). I didn't think the Hamilton Harbour Nights was worth going over to Hamilton. It was a very small street fair. They had a few vendors selling jewelry, a few selling photos, a few selling some drawings/paintings. There was a man who was doing some cedar carving. They had a few vendors selling food (we didn't need to eat any more than we already had!) The Gombey dancers went down the street once. That was interesting to see. Most shops were closed. Restaurants were open. There is a lot of construction going on in the area. Front Street just looked a little depressed to me. I have been there two times before. I wish I had stayed on board for the Second City show. We had to go through Hamilton a couple of other times to get from the ferry to the bus stop. The area around the gov't buildings seemed much nicer.

As far as parking goes, the cost was $210 as previously mentioned. The cost for us to drive or take a limo was about the same - but we were able to just walk off the boat to our car. We did not have to wait for the limo (I am not certain what time you would tell the limo to meet you since you can't be sure of arrival time/disembarking - although I think they do arrive pretty much on time most of the time). There is also construction going on at the terminal and I believe pickups must be made at street level. We decided for ease, we would just drive ourselves.

BTW - at Impressions, a gentleman did come in with his family in bermuda shorts, a jacket, and the knee high socks. I think his teenage daughters were probably cringing inside!

UANDME4EVER,

As far as parking goes, the cost was $210 as previously mentioned. The cost for us to drive or take a limo was about the same - but we were able to just walk off the boat to our car. We did not have to wait for the limo (I am not certain what time you would tell the limo to meet you since you can't be sure of arrival time/disembarking - although I think they do arrive pretty much on time most of the time). There is also construction going on at the terminal and I believe pickups must be made at street level. We decided for ease, we would just drive ourselves.

We will be driving and parking at the terminal - are there any hints/tips about driving to the terminal and parking (i.e. lanes to get in , what lot to park in , etc)?

Yes, I know when I was in Le Bistro I ordered two creme brulee (they were small ramikins) I probably could've eaten five :) I think the only time they can't give more is if you order on of the specialty meals in a specialty restaurant (like one you have to pay an additioal charge for on top of the cover charge) I never ordered one of those because the specialty restaurants had nice selctions that you could get just for the cover. But... I have read on these threads that the waited bring more even the special things if you tip well. (just hearsay)

Archived