Just returned from SD II

Jim Avery

Just returned from the Sea Dream II 5 December sailing to the Riviera Maya. Will do a full review in a few days but just wanted to get this out for anyone thinking of this line. Absolutely fabulous. Nothing to complain about. everything exceeded expectations. Loved the crew and the mix of passengers. Are already booking the next. What a pleasant change from Cunardival.

Happy sailing.

Jim Avery.

Definately do make this trip. They only have 2 small ships and are becoming more well known with experienced cruisers as well as more and more full ship charters. Heard some great stories from the crew about well known passengers.

Our December 5th trip on SD II was just marvelous. Prior cruise was QM2 Maiden Voyage in January. Do not know how we will ever face a large megaship again. Checkin/embarkation at Puerto Morelos took maybe 2 minutes. Disembarkation at the end took even less time. Upon arrival at the top of the gangway (and every time returning to the ship) we were given lavender scented cold face towels to freshen the travel grime, salt, etc. Very refreshing touch. Then a flute of champagne (crystal, no plastic). Entering the reception area, we were greeted by the cabin staff and asked our cabin #. Without looking at any prompts they immediately said "welcome aboard Mr & Mrs Avery". Everyone called us by name by the end of the day. Very personal and very impressive. Took us several days to learn their names.

Our cabin was on three deck forward. Very nice. Wonderful beds and very clean. Champagne in the room, stocked bar, Bulgari toiletries. All very nice. Also robes, Sea Dream slippers which we could keep and a set of cotton lounging pajamas with Sea Dream logo as well as our names. ( More on this later).

Food was spectacular and always present. From Noon on, always something by the pool. Top deck restaurant is a lovely place for meals. Never tried room service, too full. Food always ready for returning groups. Gained 8lbs in one week. I guess I should have shown some restraint. Nah, Ill do that now that I am home.

Guests aboard were a well traveled lot from all over the world. Approximately half were USA citizens. Ages were from late 30s to early 80s. No children aboard. This is not for kids, nothing for them to do. Thank goodness, finally a ship for adults. All got on very well together. Conversation and interaction among guests, enhanced by a very outgoing and professional staff was the best part of the trip. Long gone on the megaships where every day you see strange faces.

Shore trips in Cozumel and the Mayan Riviera were the best I have taken from any ship. The groups were smaller and the activities more active. We did the jungle zip lines in the canopy, snorkeling, dolphin swims and lots of beach. Very nice. No big tour busses moving at the speed of the slowest.

All drinks at bars are included and very plentiful. Bar brands are top shelf at any good restaurant ashore. Included wine was very good. Glasses are never empty so watch out for yourself.

The ship itself is very beautifully maintained and has pretty lines. Due to its size, we can dock front row center in the towns instead of at the cruise ports 10 miles away with all the outlet mall type stuff around them. Tendering is very well done and you never wait for a full tender. Just the 2 of us were often tendered in or out. Also, they are fast if sea conditions permit.

In the evenings, you could borrow a DVD and retire or they had piano in the piano bar. Conversation was everywhere. No glam shows. We had mariachi bands aboard for cocktail hour by the pool. Much fun. On the last night, about half the passengers showed up after dinner at The Top of The Yacht in our monogrammed pajamas. After several rounds, we started to autograph the tops with permanent markers. Have great pictures and will display the PJ tops proudly. A great group to travel with.

Again, I will say this is a great cruise line. We are planning our next for as soon as possible in 2005. A Dutch couple we met do this 2 times a year, one in the Med and one in the Caribbean. I like that plan. Any questions and I will try to answer. Have a great voyage.

Jim Avery.

It sounds like you had an incredible time. We just booked the St. Thomas itinerary for January of 2006. I've been reading about this cruise line for a while, but this board is so inactive that I don't know as much about Seadream as I do about other lines. We are going to be on Silversea's Silver Whisper next month, but thought for next year we would like to try the more casual, laid back line. I was waiting to book because it is so far in advance, and while I was waiting the price went up $200 per person. My mistake.

Thanks for the great review. We are thinking about the Med at the end of the season and have a question regarding the staterooms. They have a sail on deck 2 cabins and I was wondering what is the difference between the 2 decks.... Are all the passengers treated the same whether you are in a suite or a standard cabin.

Deb

Hi DebiD:

All the cabins are the same with the exception that there is one owners stateroom on board and several cabins that can be combined into commodore club cabins. Deck 2 cabins have 2 portholes as opposed to single rectangular windows in 3 & 4 deck. All past passengers we spoke with show no particular preference for any deck. Also, we were all first Class. You will love the treatment. We are booking for March 20th out of St. Thomas. Have a great cruise.

Jim Avery.

We did the San Juan - St. Thomas cruise on Nov 21. I booked last February on a gty rate -- and we ended up on Deck 3! It was our first time on SD, but it certainly won't be our last! Everything everyone has said is true -- the service, food, etc. is outstanding. We met a great group of folks (on our cruise, about half were from Belgium, the rest from the US) and made the Top of the Yacht our base of operations. Speaking of the monogramed pjs - we had a group who had done the America's Cup race in St. Martin -- they, too, partied at Top of the Yacht in their pajamas. Maybe it should be a tradition!

Anyone who is considering these ships should have no worries!

Vandrefalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Jim,

We are leaving for Cancun for the Mayan Riviera trip in 2 days and wonder if you remember how you travelled to the embarkation point and what it cost to get there? We have considered taxi, van service, etc. but do not have a frame of reference for the quoted prices. Thanks. Joanne

You are going to have much fun. We are heading to St. Thomas this weekend and SD I. Cant Wait. In Mexico we used the Total Gusto Tours van recommended by SeaDream. We booked in advance and the driver was waiting for us as we exited the airport terminal. All went very smoothly and in about 20 minutes, we were drinking a cold cerveza at the docks. Have fun.

Jim.

No, seems like $35 pp rings a bell. It was what was posted on SD site at that time. Did not seem excessive to me for the good door to door service. Look forward to your review when you return.

Bon Voyage,

Jim

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I was wondering if any of you have ever posted pictures of your Seadream cruise on the web. To see some pictures would help keep the dream alive untill September. Speaking of which has anybody else signed on for the Sept 10th & 17th cruises on SDII?

By the way: Great review Jim. Thanks to you we are considering booking a Spring carribean cruise for 2006 right away.

Since I'm at it can someone please enlighten me on whether or not we can obtain cash from the Purser's Office (credit card or debit card) or if we must stock up on travellers's cheques before leaving?

Thank you in advance....

Archived