Long Beach or San Diego?

MNmomof4

I'm debating about which cruise would be better for my family. I am thining Carnival Splendor out of long beach or carnival spirit out of san diego? Which is less expensive to get to and from the port and airport? Not sure which airport I would use yet out for long beach...maybe LAX since prices are reasonable. I've never sailed from the west coast so any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Well, in no particular order...

The San Diego port is only ~2 miles from the airport, so getting there is relatively easy. The port of Long beach (for Carnival) or port of Los Angeles in San Pedro (for the other cruise lines) is about 22 miles from LAX and about 10 miles from Long Beach airport.

Taxi fare from San Diego airport to the San Diego cruise port is maybe $15.

Taxi fare from LAX to the port of long beach is maybe $80. A shared ride shuttle (eg Supershuttle) could do a little less. Getting from Long beach airport to the port of Long Beach is maybe half the LAX-port fare.

As to which ship is better.... That's kind of a personal decision. Splendor is a brand new ship (built 2008), Spirit is 8 years old. Spirit is a moderately large ship at 88 ktons but Splendor is much larger at 113ktons. Do you like the larger - newer ship or the moderately large somewhat older ship ? I suspect that you would have a great time on either ship.

What I usually do is see which ship gives me the best deal when I book.

You might also want to consider which ports. The Splendor goes to Puerto Vallerta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. The Spirit goes farther south (since it leaves from farther south). If you don't have any preferences and they're both sailing the time of year you're looking at (I know the Splendor goes year-round, don't know about the Spirit), then I guess price may be the final tiebreaker.

If you go Long Beach, then you will find that airfare is also much cheaper in and out of Long Beach Airport as opposed to LAX. :cool:

Generally untrue. There are some good fares into LGB and if you find one, go for it. But just as often LAX or even SNA are cheaper and it definitely pays to research fares. It's just luck of the draw.

I know a couple of people have mentioned Long Beach airport but there are far less flights and airlines that serve that area. So, first see if you can fly there from where you live relative to LAX and then price the flights. It's not just the distance between the cruise ship terminals and the airports to consider but the difference in airline cost which could have much more of an impact in the total cost.

Keith

I love the Spirit. Have been on her 3 times. Also, the Spirit is an 8 night cruise, so it may be a tad more in price when you are comparing. I am going on the Splendor in Oct., but I'm sure will go back to the Spirit again.

I love the Spirit. Have been on her 3 times. Also, the Spirit is an 8 night cruise, so it may be a tad more in price when you are comparing. I am going on the Splendor in Oct., but I'm sure will go back to the Spirit again.

I think the splendor would be great for my little ones because of the splash park...yet having an extra night would be nice since 7 day cruise doesnt seem long enough. That's why I'm trying to figure the transfer charges and adding that to my air and cruise cost to figure out what would be better

Thanks everyone. The air is $240 to long beach and $227 to LAX....so not much difference at this point

For that amount of money i sure would go with LGB. It was so nice compared to LAX. LGB airport is like stepping out in the 50's. You literally walk off the plane and out of the airport in 2 minutes. In LAX you cant even find a ladies room in 5 minutes.

I know for a fact that Sun Country Airlines flies in and out of San Diego from Minneapolis, as my pet sitter uses it to fly when going their. They are a fairly decend airlines with good service. So that might be a thought for you to consider.

I would personally be hesitant of Sun Country (and Allegiant into LAX). Both were on the ropes last summer during the high fuel prices, but "saved by the bell" when the price of crude dropped. With fuel prices headed northbound again, the "tier 2" airlines may be severely challenged again this summer.

Taxi fare from Long Beach (Carnival) port to LAX is $60 flat rate for 1-5 people. I used that just 10 days ago. There were plenty of cabs when I was there.

Super shuttle was $17 pp one way, but some discount codes may be available to save a buck or two.

Taxi fare from Long Beach (Carnival) port to LAX is $60 flat rate for 1-5 people. I used that just 10 days ago. There were plenty of cabs when I was there.

Super shuttle was $17 pp one way, but some discount codes may be available to save a buck or two.

The taxi fare isnt that bad...I do like flat rates.

Archived