Depart from San Juan or Barbados?

poffles

Just wondering what others thoughts are on these two ports for cruise port of departure. The cruise we are looking at offer almost the same itinery just shifted around a bit with one starting at San Juan and another from Barbados. Air fare difference aside, is there an advantage to leaving from one port over the other? We will definitely be flying in a day early and will likely stay a couple days after the cruise if that alters opinions. We have never been to either location.

Thanks all.

If the airline tickets are not a problem cost-wise, I would go to Barbados.

I have been to Barbados on cruises four times. Plenty of beaches at a reasonable cab fare. Brighton Beach is one of my favorites, $3 from the port, if you walk 150 feet and get a cab outside the main gate. Inside the terminal, the very aggressive and unpleasant mafiosi charge unbelievable prices.

If you go, there is a government tourism office inside the terminal building. They can give you maps, recommendations and tell you what constitutes a reasonable fare. Accra is another pleasant beach, and so on.

My recommendation is based solely on the fact that San Juan has proven to be one of the most difficult places this gringo has tried to negotiate. Hardly anyone speaks English. Even the terminal employees only speak Spanish. By contrast, Barbados is English speaking. The public transportation system works and if you stay there overnight or longer you don't have to worry about missing the boat.

While Barbados is quite wealthy in comparison with other Caribbean islands, it's surely not America. So if you walk around Bridgetown (totally safe), you can visit shops that offer totally different labels of goods (sometimes of Third World quality).

We were in Barbados in Feburary and had a grand time. We will be in San Juan again in another month and are looking forward to it. The reason is that despite the drawbacks outlined earlier, Old San Juan, the restored old Spanish quarter, is getting better and better. This time we will be able to experience something new: Since this is a port stop and the ship leaves at midnight, we can see Old San Juan at night. The old fort and many public buildings are illuminated.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

(You will see many posts about Barbados beaches from me. I have not posted about San Juan).

Barbados is beautiful and has better beaches than the area around San Juan; but old San Juan beats Bridgetown hands down.

I'd go for Barbados any time but it depends if you prefer beaches/countryside or historic town/shopping areas.

There also might be quite a considerable difference in the airfares.

There is one thing I've noticed about SOME cruises out of San Juan. If the cruise is slow in selling, they offer rock bottom fares to the locals, and on the two we were on, it really changed the atmosphere on the ship. We were expecting a more adult cruise, seeing it was in the end of January, but with the $350 fares, there were over 750 kids on board. That really made a difference in our cruise. This happens quite a lot with cruises out of SJ.

Nice map of Bermuda, above! :confused:

This is Accra Beach on the South Coast of Barbados

Accra-46.jpg

Rockley-037.jpg

Rockley Beach is its real name ...don't ask! :D

Nice map of Bermuda, above! :confused:

This is Accra Beach on the South Coast of Barbados

Rockley Beach is its real name ...don't ask! :D

Beautiful pictures, wish I was there now.

Seeing your are from Barbados I would like to ask your thoughts on local accomodations. We are planning to stay a few days on land after the cruise and comparing the two places. What are you thoughts on the best local accomodations considering cost and location? Would you be able to offer input?

Thanks again.

Archived