Kids and Dining

dijid

Some posts that I've been reading lately have me a little concerned about what the dining experience will be with my kids. I have three kiddos (10, 8 & just shy of 6 when we sail) that will be on the Fantasy in September. They're looking forward to the cruise, including the meals. My kids are adventurous eaters and are excited that they can get lobster, lamb and things that they've rarely had before. (I'm assuming that because I don't pay a discounted rate for kids they can eat off the adult menu? Please correct me if that's wrong!)

Anyways...I've heard dinner lasts 1.5hours. Or more. And people bring portable DVD players, Nintendo DS's, etc. to the table to keep their kids entertained. We don't even own any DS's and hadn't dreamed of bringing a portable DVD player (it's for car rides over 6 hours only) We eat dinner together as a family most nights. The kids are good about sitting, using utensils, table manners, etc. - but dinner lasts maybe 1/2 hour at our house. We go out to eat infrequently, and they're usually good, but there's also usually a menu to color/activities to do.

Should I plan on bringing something for them to do at the table? If we switched to Carnival's new Your Time dining, do you think it would speed up the meal? Any other suggestions?

First off, NO WORRIES, you are on vacation. :D

I'll try to answer these in order...

Menu - your kids can eat off of whatever menu THEY wish. Some nights my kids go off the adult menu, some nights the kids menu, some nights both. But if your kids want the adult menu every night, then that is FINE on Carnival.

Dinner Length - I read all about these 1.5-2 hour meals. But I have never experienced one. ;) On every cruise, our dining time is generally 6pm, the kids are out the door and on their way in the kids club by 7pm. The server will follow your lead. If you want to sit and talk with your table mates over wine and appetizers for 30 minutes before ordering, then your meal with be 2 hours. If you get in, sit down, look over the menu and order for everyone....your meal will be less than an hour. The courses come one after the other, with VERY LITTLE waiting in between. Often as I am finished with one course, the next is replacing the other. So don't change your meal times, you will be fine with Traditional Dining.

And yes, my kids colored the kids menus. And actually never had a chance to complete them because they were always eating ;)

Heck, I ordered off the adult menu for my toddler.

Our dinners never lasted that long either.

My kids are happily entertained by the wait staff and people watching. Its not like a normal restaurant as the wait staff will know your name and actually interact with the kids quite a bit (at least in my experience).

Dinner at a table with many adults will take longer than when kids are present....lots more conversation, so things move more slowly.

Kids can eat whatever they choose....

And there's alot going on in the dining room...I doubt they'll get antsy!

We're booked on MSC for a Baltic Cruise in August - not a typical route for kids and a more European style of cruise line. I have been warned that dinners really are 7 courses and typically 2 hours long with no casual alternative.

My 4 year old loves to eat so I asked her if she wants to be able to stay long enough for dessert each night. Of course she said yes. She also loves soup so I asked her if she wants to start early enough to have soup. Of course she said yes again. I also pointed out that there would be pasta in the middle every night so of course she wants to be there for that. Hopefully anticipating the next special thing will be enough to keep her occupied. Of course we will not expect to eat all 7 courses each night but should hopefully make it through enough that we can enjoy each meal.

I am hoping that the staff will be as personable and kid friendly as on other cruise lines we've sailed. They have a kids sail free promotion so hopefully they are prepared. I don't want to bring a dvd player to the dining room but hopefully we'll get into a routine of having fruit waiting for us and have the courses come out rapidly. Even something like the waiter having her juice waiting when we arrive will help her feel like a part of the whole dinner "experience" and encourage her to be cooperative. I often find that if she is allowed to feel all grown up she responds by acting that way, too.

As to the OP's question - not only can the kids order from the adult menu but when we sailed Celebrity my brother loved the french fries from the kids menu so much he added those to his adult meal most nights as well.

I think the bottom line is that while kids will be kids well behaved kids will more often than not be well behaved kids. If they are kept in an uncomfortable setting too long they are likely to act out. But they will also realize that acting out gets them removed pretty quickly so sometimes parents unwittingly reinforce the undesired behavior. You know your kids better than anyone. If crayons will keep them happy then by all means bring them along to dinner. If the promise of dessert will encourage good behavior I'm not above a bit of well placed bribery. As long as my DD knows what is expected of her and what she can expect in return things tend to go pretty smoothly. Of course 12 nights of 2 hour dinners may test my theories...

My kids love the dining room. Last cruise, the only night they had dinner with Camp Carnival was when DH and I went to the supper club. They've never had a problem with the length of the meal, although they do enjoy doing some of the puzzles in the kids' menu booklet while they're waiting. I have never allowed them to bring electronic "stuff" with them to the dining room.

As for the menu - youngest son (9) has a serious appetite for anything from the sea - shrimp, lobster (last cruise he ate two entrees), tilapia. He very rarely orders from the kids' menu. Middle son (13), on the other hand, is anything but adventurous; he's outgrown the kids' menu age-wise, but he still orders chicken fingers and fries for dinner.:eek: (Hey, the doctor says he's healthy. I'm not going to fight with him on my vacation.:D) And RENMama's right - the staff interacts very well with the kids. They've taught our kids some magic tricks and had our kids come up to dance with them after dessert.

My daughter always enjoyed dinner in the dining room and was just happy coloring or people watching. I never allowed any electronics at the dinner talbe either. Even now, I will tell her to put her phone in her purse when we are eating out or at home having dinner.

Some posts that I've been reading lately have me a little concerned about what the dining experience will be with my kids. I have three kiddos (10, 8 & just shy of 6 when we sail) that will be on the Fantasy in September. They're looking forward to the cruise, including the meals. My kids are adventurous eaters and are excited that they can get lobster, lamb and things that they've rarely had before. (I'm assuming that because I don't pay a discounted rate for kids they can eat off the adult menu? Please correct me if that's wrong!)

Anyways...I've heard dinner lasts 1.5hours. Or more. And people bring portable DVD players, Nintendo DS's, etc. to the table to keep their kids entertained. We don't even own any DS's and hadn't dreamed of bringing a portable DVD player (it's for car rides over 6 hours only) We eat dinner together as a family most nights. The kids are good about sitting, using utensils, table manners, etc. - but dinner lasts maybe 1/2 hour at our house. We go out to eat infrequently, and they're usually good, but there's also usually a menu to color/activities to do.

Should I plan on bringing something for them to do at the table? If we switched to Carnival's new Your Time dining, do you think it would speed up the meal? Any other suggestions?

Whether you choose to entertain the kids with electronic gizmos, pen/paper etc. or have the dinner be the entertainment itself is really up to you. Some kids simply can't sit still or have little interest, you know your kids best.

My experience cruising with kids as young as 2 have sat with us thru the full dinner deal. Its all in how you manage it, isn't it always with most things ;) Matter of fact they quickly learn that is part of the cruise deal and the highlight.

As others have said the kids can order anything and everything from any menu, and if they want double helping of appetizer, dessert or anything else that is also okay.

We tried anytime on princess and compared to traditional I would say that the flexible start time does appear to be faster. If only for the fact that the waiters have tables at different stages versus everyone at every table starting at the same time puts more a strain/delay on service logistics, more then kitchen I think.

Dinners can be long 1.5 hours or much shorter but not fast food short. If you aren't sharing a table with other people have the discussion with your waiter team. Many things are prepared and ready to go out of the kitchen so you can easily be in and out in far less then an hour and half. You can still do the full deal, appetizer, soup/salad, main course and of course dessert in less time. Just let your waiter now you want a fast sevice. Most experienced waiter staff clue on that those with younger kids need a different pace too.

Enjoy that sit down dinner!

If we switched to Carnival's new Your Time dining, do you think it would speed up the meal? Any other suggestions?

One of the things we loved about Carnival that Princess doesn't have, is some kind of "event" at dinner almost every night, where the waiters dance and sing and parade around. My girls LOVED it. I mention it because I don't know if you'd miss that if you went "Your Time". Also, one of the benefits of a set meal time, is that the waiters know what you want - when you get to the table your drinks are usually there and even a first course for the kids if they know what they like (fruit plate, etc.). We had such smooth meals in part because the waiters would bring out the kids' ice cream as soon as they were finished eating their dinner, so I had more time to finish my main course while the girls happily ate their ice cream.

Best,

Mia

I understand your concern regarding whether or not to bring something for the kids during meals. We do own Nintendo DSs and a DVD player, however, we personally don't allow them at tables (I am pretty strict about this, just my own hang up). When we cruise, my kids are allowed to bring books to read during at the table. They usually do not read the entire time as they are starting to join our conversations more, but when it turns a bit too much for them, they have something that will keep them occupied.

Your kids will be fine! My daughter was 8 on her first cruise and it never occurred to me that she would have a problem with sitting through dinner in a formal dining room. We love meal times on cruises because more often than not, they're the only times we see our daughter on the ship! We talk about what we've been doing, what's been going on in Kid's Crew, and of course, the FOOD! If you and your family enjoy meals together, I'll bet even an hour and a half long dinner will fly by as you enjoy each others' company, talk about what fun you're having, and marvel at the delicious food. :)

Personally, one of my favourite things about NCL is their Freestyle dining. I don't know anything about 'Anytime Dining' on Carnival, but I think you should ask some questions on the Carnival board so that you can get an idea of whether traditional or anytime is going to be 'best' for your family. I find that with Freestyle, we tend to eat early every evening anyway, but some days it's really great not to have to rush to make a set dining time. After a day of fun, sun, and fresh air, sometimes we need a little rest - not to mention showers all around. It's just really nice to know that we don't have to choose between cutting a port day short (in order to have time to get ready for supper) or eating in the buffet. Like I said, I know nothing about it, but with a family of five, I think it's worth asking some questions. :)

Unless you have other guests at your table who are really late or order a 7 course meal, I can't see how anyone gets to a 2 hour meal unless they ask for it! My DH and I have cruised Carnival and RC alone and with our son. We've never had a 2 hour meal!

My son's first cruise last year he was not quite 5. He sat nicely in the dining room and colored his menu, talked to our waitress, played tic tac toe with dad and ate and ate and ate. Our waitress began each night by bringing him the cheese plate because he ordered it night one and was so happy! So it was smooth- we sat down and within 1 min, cheese arrived!

Our most recent, he was 6 and it was just the two of us. He had an appetizer and dessert from the adult menu every night. I think two of the 4 nights he also ordered dinner off the kids menu. I laughed when our waiter tried to discourage him from getting molten chocolate cake- he said "Little man, it'd dark chocolate, I don't think you'll like it!" My son said "Dark chocolate is almost healthy so you can eat more of it!"

LOL

We always take puzzle books, wikki sticks, paper and pens whenever we go out to eat. He knows good restaurant behavior and cruising gives us an opportunity for him to try food I wouldn't pay for, learn about different forks and enjoy some focused attention from us too! The staff has always been accomodating and friendly and they work hard, which is a fun show in itself. Last cruise, we placed bets on how many plates one guy would try to carry on his tray. He had 12 once!

We went on a cruise with our then 15, 10, 6, and 2 year old. There was never a problem in the dining room. We don't eat out a lot as a family either, so they were very happy to enjoy the dining time. They ordered off the adult menu all the time. Entertainment goes on about the time you get dessert, and it never took us that long to eat. They will be fine! Enjoy!

C. Anne

Thanks for the reassurances. I think my kids will be okay. We'll clearly set expectations for behavior (and for how it'll go) before the cruise. But it sounds like they might enjoy the "fancy dinner" experience.

We're booked on MSC for a Baltic Cruise in August - not a typical route for kids and a more European style of cruise line. I have been warned that dinners really are 7 courses and typically 2 hours long with no casual alternative.

My 4 year old loves to eat so I asked her if she wants to be able to stay long enough for dessert each night. Of course she said yes. She also loves soup so I asked her if she wants to start early enough to have soup. Of course she said yes again. I also pointed out that there would be pasta in the middle every night so of course she wants to be there for that. Hopefully anticipating the next special thing will be enough to keep her occupied. Of course we will not expect to eat all 7 courses each night but should hopefully make it through enough that we can enjoy each meal.

Sounds like our DD when she was a youngster. Of course, the only down side is that they learn to love filet mignon, lobster, and other high-end foods at a young age...and there goes the grocery budget.;) No doubt your DD will be fine and will probably enjoy trying all kinds of new things. I love it when parents encourage their kids to experiment with different foods and types of dining--Helps prevent them from becoming the dreaded "ultra picky eater" who will only eat chicken nuggets, fries, sweetened fruit snacks, pop tarts, and sweets. (Not that there's anything at all wrong with any of those foods, just that it's not exactly healthy to have them be an entire diet.)

I am hoping that the staff will be as personable and kid friendly as on other cruise lines we've sailed. They have a kids sail free promotion so hopefully they are prepared. I don't want to bring a dvd player to the dining room but hopefully we'll get into a routine of having fruit waiting for us and have the courses come out rapidly. Even something like the waiter having her juice waiting when we arrive will help her feel like a part of the whole dinner "experience" and encourage her to be cooperative. I often find that if she is allowed to feel all grown up she responds by acting that way, too.

BINGO! I think kids generally respond well when parents and other adults have clear expectations and a positive approach. You can almost certainly count on the servers (and all crew) being great with kids, especially on a sailing that is bound to have a high kid-rate. Good for you for not wanting to bring the DVD or electronics to the table. I think it can be harmful to social development when kids are constantly glued to a screen of some kind. We have friends who allow their kids (now 12 and 14!) to use Gameboys and text message at meals. Their social skills have suffered, IMO. OTOH, for some young toddlers, a DVD (with earphones and screen faced so that it doesn't disturb others) isn't the worst thing in the world at a long dinner. Once they're old enough to start to learn proper behavior, then books, coloring supplies, and simple short-term distractions are a good choice because the children can be part of the conversation and still be able to "disengage" a little bit if things drag on and on.

As to the OP's question - not only can the kids order from the adult menu but when we sailed Celebrity my brother loved the french fries from the kids menu so much he added those to his adult meal most nights as well.

Why not? It's only fair, right? I know some adults who routinely order items from the children's menus because they enjoy vacation treats. Who doesn't love a good chicken finger from time to time?

I think the bottom line is that while kids will be kids well behaved kids will more often than not be well behaved kids. If they are kept in an uncomfortable setting too long they are likely to act out. But they will also realize that acting out gets them removed pretty quickly so sometimes parents unwittingly reinforce the undesired behavior. You know your kids better than anyone. If crayons will keep them happy then by all means bring them along to dinner. If the promise of dessert will encourage good behavior I'm not above a bit of well placed bribery. As long as my DD knows what is expected of her and what she can expect in return things tend to go pretty smoothly. Of course 12 nights of 2 hour dinners may test my theories...

Honestly, I just know you'll and your DD will have wonderful meals together. You sound like the kind of parent who can help dispell the lingering memories of those who've been forced to endure "little monsters" and their clueless/selfish parents. Unfortunately, those types often make lasting impressions, while the majority of parents and children (such as your family) take the flack!

Have a wonderful time!

<snip> Our waitress began each night by bringing him the cheese plate because he ordered it night one and was so happy! So it was smooth- we sat down and within 1 min, cheese arrived!

Now that's something I can get behind! There's little in this world that can't be improved by adding a bit of cheese (or chocolate).:D

Our most recent, he was 6 and it was just the two of us. He had an appetizer and dessert from the adult menu every night. I think two of the 4 nights he also ordered dinner off the kids menu. I laughed when our waiter tried to discourage him from getting molten chocolate cake- he said "Little man, it'd dark chocolate, I don't think you'll like it!" My son said "Dark chocolate is almost healthy so you can eat more of it!"

LOL

:D Nice to hear that you're a good mom who is raising her son right!

<snip>

Thanks for the reassurances. I think my kids will be okay. We'll clearly set expectations for behavior (and for how it'll go) before the cruise. But it sounds like they might enjoy the "fancy dinner" experience.

With your positive attitude and your approach with your children, I have no doubt you'll all have a great time at dinner and get many compliments and smiles from your fellow cruisers. Your children are at wonderful ages to experience not only "formal" dining, but also new foods. And if they try something and truly do not care for it, they can ask for something else. (Not that I'm encouraging anyone to waste food by ordering 10 things and only taking one bite of each or something, but I also don't think kids should be forced to eat foods they thoroughly dislike; as long as they've tried it and determined it's a "no," then there's no reason not to let them order something they do like.)

Have a great time.

beachchick

We eat at in the dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner and my kids always eat off the adult menu. After the first night there is a plate of fruit and milk waiting for each of them to stave off them getting antsy. We don't bring any electronics or toys and it's worked pretty well, there's enough entertainment as others have noted. I think once or twice on my last cruise I needed to leave with my son (less than 2 at the time) where he was exhausted from the day's activities and was acting up. On our first cruise with my daughter at less than 1.5 I seem to recall she behaved well the entire time and I never needed to leave.

Archived